whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
The Any key Joke is completely new I see it for the first time now
Had you not heard it before? Or you mean new to this thread?
It's quite an old joke, but possibly more familiar to people with an interest in IT.

It's a bit like the old "ID 10 T" error code, or PEBCAK (both commonly found on this site).
Or, the old conversation.

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Had you not heard it before? Or you mean new to this thread?
It's quite an old joke, but possibly more familiar to people with an interest in IT.

It's a bit like the old "ID 10 T" error code, or PEBCAK (both commonly found on this site).
Or, the old conversation.
Naturally I mean in this thread:D:p

Reactions: whichone

WigglyWorld84

Aug 14, 2021
I have been using the internet for, at least, 6 weeks. I have never heard this, "any key" before. Then again, its bad. Like, really bad. Even for a dad joke. Not like I was missing out. I am now embarassed that it is even in my head somewhere. Thanks :cautious:

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Then again, its bad.
Yeah, it's a joke about idiots. It's not exactly trying to be highbrow. :ROFLMAO:
The fact that it's symbolic of what real tech support staff used to deal with, makes it even worse.
That type of question was pretty common for IT helpdesks, in the mid-late 90's.
Things like that are why PEBCAK exists as a term.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah, it's a joke about idiots. It's not exactly trying to be highbrow. :ROFLMAO:
The fact that it's symbolic of what real tech support staff used to deal with, makes it even worse.
That type of question was pretty common for IT helpdesks, in the mid-late 90's.
Things like that are why PEBCAK exists as a term.
Tell me about it! I used to do IT troubleshooting until a decade ago.
"You will replace my monitor ? What about my data ?" And no, it wasn't an all-in-one.
"I can't print" Me after turning the printer on: "Now you can."

3.80 star(s) 289 Votes