Unity Completed Hana Exposure! A Blooming Flower~ [v1.04] [Flimsy]

4.40 star(s) 41 Votes

drednaut

Sep 14, 2017
"The build will be out next week..." he says and then proceeds to not release anything for 1 MONTH. Just announce the game dead and be over with it.
He just released another project log where we have to pay for him to tell us why he hasn't been doing shit for yet another month. Nice.

Last edited:

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
"The build will be out next week..." he says and then proceeds to not release anything for 1 MONTH. Just announce the game dead and be over with it.
He just released another project log where we have to pay for him to tell us why he hasn't been doing shit for yet another month. Nice.
Why so angry? Judging from your (very entertaining) post history, you aren't even a Patron of his, so he doesn't owe you shit, does he? And even if you were, it's not like you bought the game by choosing to support him.

Are you trying to "motivate" him with pressure? That would be self-centered and naive.
Or do you seriously have to vent your frustration, because you can't handle not getting the shit you want RIGHT NOW like some spoiled kid?

Just let Flimsy do his thing. Please keep in mind that he most certainly feels worse about not releasing anything for so long than you do about not being able to enjoy a free game.
And nagging in here like a petulant man-child will not make him work faster. If you consider this game abandoned - well, wouldn't it be about time for you to abandon the thread instead of baiting me time and time again into thinking that someone might have posted something actually relevant?

Anillegalgoat

Mar 19, 2019
Why so angry? Judging from your (very entertaining) post history, you aren't even a Patron of his, so he doesn't owe you shit, does he? And even if you were, it's not like you bought the game by choosing to support him.

Are you trying to "motivate" him with pressure? That would be self-centered and naive.
Or do you seriously have to vent your frustration, because you can't handle not getting the shit you want RIGHT NOW like some spoiled kid?

Just let Flimsy do his thing. Please keep in mind that he most certainly feels worse about not releasing anything for so long than you do about not being able to enjoy a free game.
And nagging in here like a petulant man-child will not make him work faster. If you consider this game abandoned - well, wouldn't it be about time for you to abandon the thread instead of baiting me time and time again into thinking that someone might have posted something actually relevant?
People have the right to be annoyed. Delays like this happen sure. But that is one reason i will never back anyone on patreon, if the game finishes i'll gladly pay a sum i feel is deserved, but while delays happen and that's fine pissing off the market that's there for the game is never a good thing.

Reactions: Ashani and caschque

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
People have the right to be annoyed. Delays like this happen sure. But that is one reason i will never back anyone on patreon, if the game finishes i'll gladly pay a sum i feel is deserved, but while delays happen and that's fine pissing off the market that's there for the game is never a good thing.
Remember that being a patron is not about buying a product, it's about supporting a creator to help making their work and ideas become reality. I understand how you feel, but then consider supporting pay-per-update creators because then you will always only pay when they deliver, and if you deem the updates to be too lackluster, then that's a good reason to stop supporting.
Just always remember the difference between what a market is, and what a patronage is as a core concept, and the differences between them ^ . ^

I wish you a pleasant day.

JKL998

Feb 21, 2019
If someone promises something, i kinda expect that promise to be fulfilled. Logical, no?

Reactions: Ashani

Sydoon

Sep 20, 2019
If someone promises something, i kinda expect that promise to be fulfilled. Logical, no?
Depends a lot on the "promise" as far as I can read on his pateron he is "currently working on Hana´s Exposure". But wait there is more under the "Why support me?" he says "The main reason would be to allow me to speed up development time and improve quality, but you would also be fueling a dream for which I can never thank you enough." So not really a "promise" with "support me and you will get a game"
But I am curious can you tell me what he promised you?

And since he posted monthly progress updates on his patreon every pateron can decide on his own if they continue to support him or not. But do you (who is here and lives from public updates) have a right for any updates from him? No not really. You can say that it is "bad" that there werent any updates for the past month but that is it. So remove your expectations from people you have nothing to do with expect to leach from. ;)

Reactions: feierflei

wannaka99

Apr 4, 2019
I remember some post where he said there wont be any updates for a few months cause he has to rework a lot of stuff, now the last post says maybe 2weeks+ or so, I mean if he delivers something to the patreons before october that is on schedule.

JKL998

Feb 21, 2019
And since he posted monthly progress updates on his patreon every pateron can decide on his own if they continue to support him or not. But do you (who is here and lives from public updates) have a right for any updates from him? No not really. You can say that it is "bad" that there werent any updates for the past month but that is it. So remove your expectations from people you have nothing to do with expect to leach from. ;)
If i say that i will do something within a time frame, i will do my best to actually do that something within that time frame, or at least explain why i couldn't. Not too hard to write "I'm very ill, and can't work on it." no? At least, he is actually communicating again and is alive, so that's good.

Last edited:

buttsnstuff

Mar 29, 2020
I remember some post where he said there wont be any updates for a few months cause he has to rework a lot of stuff, now the last post says maybe 2weeks+ or so, I mean if he delivers something to the patreons before october that is on schedule.
i wouldn't count on any type of release. last content update was v0.4, which released in november 2019.

Reactions: Ashani

caschque

Feb 5, 2018
i mean... you have to kind of deal with people getting frustrated. calling them to be childish etc. does not make it better either. there is a point when you say you ll be done by x time and then continue to extend the period over and over again, without releasing anything and always just giving reasons why it got extended.

i understand it is difficult with a self-made engine, but then don't extend your release date by over a year... that's just extreme. i know how it is when you want to please other people by making unrealistic "promises" (nothing was ever promised, but for lack of a better word i use promise). you got to learn how to get better at being more realistic, even if it is difficult to estimate...

also, if the update is not going to deliver the content, he mentioned, then i will be extremely disappointed. but if it will be like the author said it would, i m going to celebrate him forever. :p

btw, i am at a stage where i do not wish to pressure the author anymore. i gave up. but have some hope left. and now i m curious what is going to be delivered. (i am a patron myself but reduced the amount to the minimum.)

PS: I understand all your arguments and do not dismiss them in any way. But at the end of the day, what counts is what is the result.
PPS: On a sidenote, i think the author already got better with estimations ;). So there is improvement for sure.

Last edited:

raska42

Feb 16, 2018
feierflei Sydoon

I kinda get why people (even non-supporters) are getting frustrated.

Been a fan of the game since the second version posted here, contemplated becoming a patreon, but kept hesitating due to issues with dev's in the past, then the gap happened. I used to support a few games, but got frustrated with most of the dev's. Most were small things that have been forgotten with time, but I did support yummytiger and his intro (don't even remember the name anymore), and the less said about the mess breeding season turned into the better (and I mean before the drama that ended it). There are plenty of other dev's out there that are just as bad, pretty much everyone who supports via patreon is aware they exist, the real frustration is when a promising dev starts picking up those tendencies.

Jury's still out on flimsy, but things aren't looking good. The content gap is past worrying, if I had become a supporter, I'd have dropped after 4-6 months (likely 6ish, exhibitionist games that don't escalate to public use are pretty rare). The real question is 'will the patreons consider the amount of content in the update worth the time spent on it, or will most of the remaining supporters drop when they see the results?'. The answer is almost definitely that a significant amount will drop. Everything other than the prologue (and random npc's and a revamped framework) took about 6 months, sounds like this is just a level up event and a new tier of actions for some of the locations. Doesn't sound like there's really any way to justify that being worth 4 times/the same amount of time as the rest of the game up to this point (depending on how you count the prologue+ update). The update is theoretically coming out soon, I'm skeptical about it, but I'll let it speak for itself.

Also.... 600+ new sprites? The only way that would make any sense is animation. Would explain the time though, animations tend to take forever for people to don't do them full time (never worth it IMO). My big concern though is the resources needed. Unity is rarely efficient resource wise, and now that I'm writing this I'm half expecting to hear that 60-80% of the stuff needed to be scrapped due to lag issues, which always brings up the question of if the scrapped content ever actually existed, or if it's just a dev trying to make it look like there was more content (same as 5-10 'reworks' of a part that supporters never see).

drednaut

Sep 14, 2017
it's not a self-made engine, it's the extremely popular and well-documented unity engine
Extremely well documented. Even a beginner Unity dev could re-create his entire game structure in about a week.
However, art and writing are what takes the most time and skill. It's not the engine or any technical limitations.

caschque

Feb 5, 2018
it's not a self-made engine, it's the extremely popular and well-documented unity engine
Is it? I didn't know. From what I read he kinda made it seem that there is a lot around to do. Including the engine. So I assumed ... it would be difficult.

In that case... ... well.. i am just going to wait then.

yhbt

Jun 20, 2017
Unity is a bit more advanced than something like Ren'py or RPG Maker. Hana's Exposure is very RPG Maker-like (as the games it's inspired by) and could perhaps have been easier to make in that engine, but Unity is a more powerful tool and can make it look more flashy. The base game is not premade in Unity. I'm not sure if he made all the assets and code snippets himself, but the tileset and event scripting is probably stuff he made himself, along with the 2d art.

Unity provides a scripting and physics environment, so making a 2d plane with sprite art moving around on top is probably not too hard. Bringing up dialogue and pictures was also in the game. There seemed to be some quirks with the event order in the last few releases. And he might have spent time developing the engine for his game even though he's using Unity.

He has been long between releases now though, so I'm not too hopeful about the project any more. I'd be happy to see an update.

Reactions: caschque
4.40 star(s) 41 Votes