4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

301stLegion

Oct 27, 2018
So I'm not sure if this is just a me thing but I find it so weird that in a game built around grabs. The grabs last like all of 1 second if you are actually trying to escape.

Feels like the damage should be over time with harder escapes rather than all the damage up front but you can button mash out in less than second, barely seeing 10 frames. Especially when some grabs have 2nd phases that you never see unless you take your hands off the keyboard.

Maybe it's just a me issue but it feels really weird to me.

Theovonpapen

Sep 2, 2020
Is there a gallery mode now?
I do wonder who is mad at the dev for releasing his own animation on F95 that they've already seen on discord.

Also, check on Cruel Serenade. Their development process is on par with current HHP, except there's an actual roadmap and deadlines to meet.
Currently, the Cruel Serenade dev has announced he has the gallery for both chapter 1 and 2 by next month at the earliest.

Oh, you mean Happy Hearts Panic? Oh... well you can see how that has progressed. The fact years has passed and not a single level set is safe of considered complete (because of constant additions) seriously hampers a partial creation of a gallery. And that certainly pisses me off.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: SniperJojo

locorten

Oct 2, 2020
Call me delusional but I feel weirdly hopeful for the update pace from now on. This combat overhaul and status system, regardless of it being a good or bad change, would have taken a long ass time of testing and tweaking and probably ate most of the development time in the past [many] months.
Unless doggie is still dealing with a bunch of life stuff I think we should see that third civilian + whatever the hell is at the end of daisy's area before too long. Relatively speaking.

CrusaderDurante

Dec 11, 2019
So I'm not sure if this is just a me thing but I find it so weird that in a game built around grabs. The grabs last like all of 1 second if you are actually trying to escape.

Feels like the damage should be over time with harder escapes rather than all the damage up front but you can button mash out in less than second, barely seeing 10 frames. Especially when some grabs have 2nd phases that you never see unless you take your hands off the keyboard.

Maybe it's just a me issue but it feels really weird to me.
Please don't give Doggy anymore ideas on revamping the combat. We've seen like 4 reworks now and all they do is pad the time between diaper content most people don't want.

turnthelightsoff

Jan 6, 2021
Just played the update today, its actually crazy how much worse the combat system is now. I still like the game sure, but why fix something that aint broke?

Oct 22, 2021
Please don't give Doggy anymore ideas on revamping the combat. We've seen like 4 reworks now and all they do is pad the time between diaper content most people don't want.
Eh, all you would need to do is decrease the amount of up front damage you take and increase the DOT and time to escape, there's already a bit of a dynamic around that with you not being able to struggle when your stamina is empty, so if it took slightly over 1 bar of stamina to escape you then need to gauge how much to use in both your initial and second struggle attempts, which adds a little bit of tension.

On another note, I really dislike the combat overhaul, it really added nothing but another bar that I need to look at while fighting that doesn't need to be there, whispy has some sort of status effect DoT effect that isn't explained, and the power bar doesn't make any sense, taunting makes it go up, sometimes hitting enemies makes it go up if it's low, while other hitting enemies will make it go down if it's high. I have no idea what it really does other than not letting you power attack if it's too low, and because taunting makes it instantly max out I just do that in between going in for swings, and I was already doing this to refill my stamina anyways, making the entire system almost pointless except for just being another thing to keep track of. Also whispy's new taunt is bad, why remove the sexy one for whatever this weird hover magic taunt is. Is whispy supposed to be some kind of goth wizard? This game doesn't really have a lot of plot so I don't know or really care, and considering this is the only magic thing he does it feels really out of place. Also I don't stop moving while using it so I can glide past enemies with it which looks and feels weird. The only thing I like about the new combat is the slide you can do because it lets me move through the game faster which is good.

1pepe

Apr 30, 2021
how do i complete jessies playhouse i thought you did it by leading the rabbit out of the sewers but i cant seem to get him out (he wont follow me) also how to i unlock the laser next to cast n crew

blankonino

Jan 23, 2018
how do i complete jessies playhouse i thought you did it by leading the rabbit out of the sewers but i cant seem to get him out (he wont follow me) also how to i unlock the laser next to cast n crew
You'll notice the little thing holding the WIP sign in various places. Work In Progress, it's marking stuff that isn't available or done yet.

Reactions: Thunderthewolf14

301stLegion

Oct 27, 2018
Eh, all you would need to do is decrease the amount of up front damage you take and increase the DOT and time to escape, there's already a bit of a dynamic around that with you not being able to struggle when your stamina is empty, so if it took slightly over 1 bar of stamina to escape you then need to gauge how much to use in both your initial and second struggle attempts, which adds a little bit of tension.
Yeah basically this, would mean that if you mismanage stamina that you end up actually in one of the second phases which deals more damage, rather than the split second you get now when your HP is full depleted by the initial grab.

Dec 30, 2022
Call me delusional but I feel weirdly hopeful for the update pace from now on. This combat overhaul and status system, regardless of it being a good or bad change, would have taken a long ass time of testing and tweaking and probably ate most of the development time in the past [many] months.
Unless doggie is still dealing with a bunch of life stuff I think we should see that third civilian + whatever the hell is at the end of daisy's area before too long. Relatively speaking.
whos gonna tell bro this is like the 4th combat revamp we've gotten. the last combat system was a downgrade from a combat system that was actually good, and its gotten worse each revamp. it genuinely seems less built around fighting and moreso just dashing and praying you either get grabbed by the enemy you want or not getting grabbed at all

Susan Xandera

Jul 13, 2017
whos gonna tell bro this is like the 4th combat revamp we've gotten. the last combat system was a downgrade from a combat system that was actually good, and its gotten worse each revamp. it genuinely seems less built around fighting and moreso just dashing and praying you either get grabbed by the enemy you want or not getting grabbed at all
I haven't played the earlier versions but this combat system is straight trash. What kind of half baked dark souls/metroidvania combo are they trying to go for?

Reactions: Goddamnaccounts

Dinglederper

Dec 19, 2020
I haven't played the earlier versions but this combat system is straight trash. What kind of half baked dark souls/metroidvania combo are they trying to go for?
Think along the lines of a shady repair contractor: they'll fix something for extremely cheap, but you keep having issues and they keep repairing them until you realize "wait, they've been fucking it up just to keep me coming back!" That's most of this game anymore.

Theovonpapen

Sep 2, 2020
Think along the lines of a shady repair contractor: they'll fix something for extremely cheap, but you keep having issues and they keep repairing them until you realize "wait, they've been fucking it up just to keep me coming back!" That's most of this game anymore.
To be honest, you can compare it to the other platformer games. It appears to be trying to be like Oh So Hero! but with more cinematic scenery. But instead, it's more like a polished version of bare backstreets.

I think the game is too deep and too high-class to do something as cheap as Kincaid's VN integration even if it gets to the point faster with less. The pixel animation is much simpler than Predation to be visually impressive, yet still more complex than Forest of the Blue skin to actually streamline the development to a satisfying deadline.

It lacks any coherent direction of what it wants to portray, unlike Deep in Brixen Space's horror setting and Max the Elf's standard magic adventure setting, which makes it harder to even know what updates we can broadly expect. The lack of gallery is the game's least concern when even gameplay isn't safe of not being changed.

Of course, its lack of any plot (something all the aforementioned games, except maybe bare backstreets, has) and sluggish pace has placed enormous pressure on the scenes to be on a significantly higher standard of expectation than Oh So Hero! It's becoming less of a production problem and more of a priority problem.

Dinglederper

Dec 19, 2020
To be honest, you can compare it to the other platformer games. It appears to be trying to be like Oh So Hero! but with more cinematic scenery. But instead, it's more like a polished version of bare backstreets.

I think the game is too deep and too high-class to do something as cheap as Kincaid's VN integration even if it gets to the point faster with less. The pixel animation is much simpler than Predation to be visually impressive, yet still more complex than Forest of the Blue skin to actually streamline the development to a satisfying deadline.

It lacks any coherent direction of what it wants to portray, unlike Deep in Brixen Space's horror setting and Max the Elf's standard magic adventure setting, which makes it harder to even know what updates we can broadly expect. The lack of gallery is the game's least concern when even gameplay isn't safe of not being changed.

Of course, its lack of any plot (something all the aforementioned games, except maybe bare backstreets, has) and sluggish pace has placed enormous pressure on the scenes to be on a significantly higher standard of expectation than Oh So Hero! It's becoming less of a production problem and more of a priority problem.
Agreed on most points; my joke was more along the lines that Doggie is undeniably skilled at what they do, but as you said their priorities are consistently in the wrong places. I would love to believe that the reason this game's updates have slowed to a crawl is that Doggie is using their skills elsewhere; they do good enough animations and pixel art that I would be amazed if their portfolio wouldn't impress even professional clients, especially given it's all solo work.

Quite frankly, a big part of what keeps me fascinated is that every update the art and animation quality consistently gets better, yet the amount of content shrinks and increasingly meaningless changes get prioritized (e.g. the 4th combat revamp in a row). I won't judge beyond that though: I'm not an h-dev myself, and I can't speak to whether even the most "obvious" things to address as pain points (such as more focus on the smut and less on redundant mechanical reworks) would make any substantive difference to the game's popularity or, more importantly, revenue. For all I know, Doggie does the revamps precisely because they're easier than slaving over animations, and because no amount of extra content is guaranteed to provide any better results than just doing the former.

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes