CaptMorgan76

May 10, 2018
No, you'll most likely never need to restart your save on Harem Hotel. Remaking old content just means better pictures and maybe some more dialog, nothing too serious.

That said, it will be highly recommended to start fresh in v0.4.
I’d consider starting fresh once if you say it’s worth it, what I think a lot of us are tired of from sooo many of these is every time there’s an update, the Dev includes save-breaking rework or gui tweaks.. some of them (like Kompass) build in cheats to ease the blow, but it’s still a lot of very frustrating grinding made even more frustrating by the fact that you (the player) know darn well you’ll just have to do it again on the next update.. it makes you not want to bother at all. It’s like 1 1/2 steps forward and 10 steps back just so the Dev’s OCD gets it’s scratch.. good enough never seems to be. To be fair, I’ve been truly impressed with your work so far and have no reason as of yet to question your methods or reasons, it’s just the cumulative effect of having been down this path before that had me asking.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I’d consider starting fresh once if you say it’s worth it, what I think a lot of us are tired of from sooo many of these is every time there’s an update, the Dev includes save-breaking rework or gui tweaks.. some of them (like Kompass) build in cheats to ease the blow, but it’s still a lot of very frustrating grinding made even more frustrating by the fact that you (the player) know darn well you’ll just have to do it again on the next update.. it makes you not want to bother at all. It’s like 1 1/2 steps forward and 10 steps back just so the Dev’s OCD gets it’s scratch.. good enough never seems to be. To be fair, I’ve been truly impressed with your work so far and have no reason as of yet to question your methods or reasons, it’s just the cumulative effect of having been down this path before that had me asking.
Hm, I'm not exactly a coding expert, so I could be wrong. But if they're using Renpy to code their game, there should be no reason for bugs to pop up that break your saves. Unless you're coding wrong. In v0.1, I coded wrong. That's why saves didn't work back then, but I could do almost anything to the code now without breaking a thing (that isn't easily fixable anyway).

I've actually spent all day on Friday cleaning up all of the code, polishing stuff, mainly things the player will never notice, but makes things much easier for me. Which caused many bugs in the latest beta, but it only took 10 minutes to fix it all.

In any case, you could keep your save and just start another save to experience the remade events (Lin's first couple of events were heavily redesigned, so I recommend playing through those the most). Other than that, I think v0.4 more than any other update will feel better if you replay it, but in all honesty, I personally wouldn't. I typically only care about the new stuff in an update.

CaptMorgan76

May 10, 2018
Hm, I'm not exactly a coding expert, so I could be wrong. But if they're using Renpy to code their game, there should be no reason for bugs to pop up that break your saves. Unless you're coding wrong. In v0.1, I coded wrong. That's why saves didn't work back then, but I could do almost anything to the code now without breaking a thing (that isn't easily fixable anyway).

I've actually spent all day on Friday cleaning up all of the code, polishing stuff, mainly things the player will never notice, but makes things much easier for me. Which caused many bugs in the latest beta, but it only took 10 minutes to fix it all.

In any case, you could keep your save and just start another save to experience the remade events (Lin's first couple of events were heavily redesigned, so I recommend playing through those the most). Other than that, I think v0.4 more than any other update will feel better if you replay it, but in all honesty, I personally wouldn't. I typically only care about the new stuff in an update.
Let me just say that you seem to truly care about the player’s experience not just during gameplay, but by taking time to interact on here and trying to understand. I commend you! Thank you for responding. Know this, AS SOON as I get paid this week I’m going to support you! You truly deserve it!

CaptMorgan76

May 10, 2018
Let me just say that you seem to truly care about the player’s experience not just during gameplay, but by taking time to interact on here and trying to understand. I commend you! Thank you for responding. Know this, AS SOON as I get paid this week I’m going to support you! You truly deserve it!
Aww man.. I didn’t even wait, I did it now

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

I am a coding expert :p, just not a Ren'Py expert. That said, I think save breakage is usually because of 1 of 3 things:

1. Changing code to introduce new variables, then relying on the variables to be initialized in earlier code. A save that already went over that part of the game will not have the variable initialized, so when you get to a place that uses it, you get a crash. Sometimes the variables are initialized earlier, but only used later. Best practice to avoid this is to initialize variables before you use them the first time. Do this at the top of a new file or section in an existing file.
  2. Changing code to change the flow of the game. For example, the dev changed earlier scenes to add 5 more lust points. Saves beyond that will never have access to those points. That probably won't result in a crash, but may lock out certain paths.
  3. Change labels or return labels. Rename a label, and saves in that label might break. Make big changes in a label's code, and changes there or after in the same function might not work. And either might break rollback.

Aroxan

May 5, 2017
I can't wait! By far the best H-Game I've played so far. Soon as I get a paycheck def supporting the creator(s).

Reactions: Runey

Baharomont

Aug 28, 2017
Hey Runey? What you say about it?
Mayby you need put this Mod to You Game?
Realy, Fonts and Style in this Mod realy better waht You use... :(

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Hey Runey? What you say about it?
Mayby you need put this Mod to You Game?
Realy, Fonts and Style in this Mod realy better waht You use... :(
I don't think I'll be making the UI more simplistic. But as a fan of simplistic UI, feel free to use it every time. Style is a very important thing in games. Games need unique, good looking, but not overcrowded UI, UI that you would be able to take one look at and know which game it's from. I'm a huge fan of using simplistic UI, but simplistic UI doesn't differentiate games or give them a unique feeling.

I'm curious about what others think about the font, it's something easily changeable, but I actually like the font quite a bit.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Honestly I like the font you have now it seems just fine to me, what I want is to tell Lin I love her an she never has to leave, Although Maria is my favourite so-far.

Reactions: Runey

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
So here's my thoughts on the game's UI (I'm the person who made the mod and I've also done graphic/UI design):

1. The choice boxes look nice.

2. The textbox looks fine since the border is small but personally I dislike any textbox that isn't only black and transparent. I know you had a bug that was messing with the quick menu so idek if there is supposed to be one or not but I'd recommend disabling the quick menu and getting rid of the black bar at the bottom of the textbox.

3. The font is acceptable/readable, but I don't really like it because it's vertically tall and horizontally thin. Also the font size could maybe be increased by 2-4.

4. The best improvement though would be adding clickable signs that say Floor 1, Floor 2, Floor 3 next to the stairs so you don't have to read through all the menu items every time you change floors.

DarrenOwen

Aug 13, 2018
4. The best improvement though would be adding clickable signs that say Floor 1, Floor 2, Floor 3 next to the stairs so you don't have to read through all the menu items every time you change floors.
This is something that I can actually agree on. Changing floors is the only thing that I think can become somewhat frustrating from time to time. The fix suggested is also (seemingly) a simple but effective solution.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
This is something that I can actually agree on. Changing floors is the only thing that I think can become somewhat frustrating from time to time. The fix suggested is also (seemingly) a simple but effective solution.
I guess I don't really understand the problem.

A button next to the stairs would be better than a button coming up when you click the stairs?

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
I'm not really sure why this would be a source of frustration, you just click on the stairs an select which floor you want.

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Being able to go everywhere with 1 click would be great.

PokeIssau

Fan of girls with average tits.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018
I'm not really sure why this would be a source of frustration, you just click on the stairs an select which floor you want.
It is not, but a quick menu to the 3-5 (ex. Kitchen, Lobby, floors, instead of clicking the stairs and then click lobby and then kitchen) most important places would make the MC movement more fluid.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Ah OK I see what you mean something like a quick menu where you could go say straight from your room to the kitchen and bypass clicking to the lobby.

Reactions: PokeIssau
4.70 star(s) 454 Votes