HSHS1111

Feb 8, 2019
She had 6 (or was it 9) owners already, she can't cook, and she's disobedient and shy?
This is actually one of the two minor gripes I have with the world building of HH (the other being the high elves hiding from humans with a slightly more advanced tech level than IRL). Elves are supposed to be hundred years old but still have the maturity of a teenager or young adult? How does that work? I'm not talking pysically. They still have a hundred years worth of experiences. So are they slow learners or dimwitted? But we're teaching Lin all kinds of things in a matter of a few weeks!
Maybe there's an explanation for it that I'm not seeing. It's not like the game talks about this at length.

Anyway. Don't take this the wrong way. This is one of my favourite games on the site and this won't dent my enjoyment of it in the slightest. Please keep up the good work.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Red Sand

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
This is actually one of the two minor gripes I have with the world building of HH (the other being the high elves hiding from humans with a slightly more advanced tech level than IRL). Elves are supposed to be hundred years old but still have the maturity of a teenager or young adult? How does that work? I'm not talking pysically. They still have a hundred years worth of experiences. So are they slow learners or dimwitted? But we're teaching Lin all kinds of things in a matter of a few weeks!
Maybe there's an explanation for it that I'm not seeing. It's not like the game talks about this at length.

Anyway. Don't take this the wrong way. This is one of my favourite games on the site and this won't dent my enjoyment of it in the slightest. Please keep up the good work.
I took it as her having been abused and neglected. It's pretty dark stuff, but have you ever read stories of neglected children that have been locked away by abusive parents and when they're rescued, they have severely stunted development? That's what I assumed happened to her. I think maybe that's why she seems so broken initially, and why she becomes so completely devoted to us the moment we treat her with kindness.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

Common Elves live 15 times longer than humans. They don't take the same amount of time to develop as humans, an Elf will carry its baby for over a year. Lin is 300, which is about 20 years old in Human. Lin doesn't have the experience and wisdom of a 300 year old human, she has the experience and wisdom of a 300 year old Elf, which is about the equivalent of a 25 year old human. To clarify, I'm saying that Lin is 20 in human years, but since she's lived for 300, she has the experience and wisdom of a 25 year old human, instead of a 20 year old human.

Elves are much slower at learning things than humans. Lin was shown to be slow at cooking because the tech is very new to her.

I took it as her having been abused and neglected. It's pretty dark stuff, but have you ever read stories of neglected children that have been locked away by abusive parents and when they're rescued, they have severely stunted development? That's what I assumed happened to her. I think maybe that's why she seems so broken initially, and why she becomes so completely devoted to us the moment we treat her with kindness.
She isn't slower because of her slavery, she's slower because she's not as fast as humans.

Last edited:

Canes

May 27, 2018
Fair enough, makes sense to me
Really? It makes absolutely zero sense to me. How can Elf years be different from human years if it has the same number of minutes, days and months? Dev. just saying Elves are slow mentally, because it got to justify living for 300 years and having learned nothing. If that's the case, would they take 100+ years to reach maturity, learn to walk, speak, etc.? But hey, I've read much, much worse lore in Japanese VN's so oh well.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Red Sand

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
Really? Don't make much sense to me. It's not like Elves years are different from human years, still the same number of minutes, days, months. Dev. just saying Elves are slow mentally, because it got to justify living for 300 years and having learned nothing. But hey, I've read much, much worse lore in Japanese VN's so oh well.
I don't have much of a problem accepting that they develop differently. You seem to be operating under the idea that elves are just really old humans, but these aren't the wise old elves of Lord of the Rings. I feel like maybe calling them elves sets an expectation in the minds of old school fantasy readers, but we just have to accept that fantasy races aren't some sacred thing that can't be altered. Runey is taking a bit of creative license here and I don't see the harm.

Canes

May 27, 2018
I don't have much of a problem accepting that they develop differently. You seem to be operating under the idea that elves are just really old humans, but these aren't the wise old elves of Lord of the Rings. I feel like maybe calling them elves sets an expectation in the minds of old school fantasy readers, but we just have to accept that fantasy races aren't some sacred thing that can't be altered. Runey is taking a bit of creative license here and I don't see the harm.
Wise, maybe not, but old is old and 300 years is a long time no matter how you look at it. I would have just said she's really naive and from a very secluded culture and leave it at that. Like in real life we have hidden tribes that still play with sticks and refuse to evolve.

Welp, here I am having a philosophical discussion about a VN, a sign of a good VN maybe?

Last edited:

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Wise, maybe not, but old is old and 300 years is a long time no matter how you look at it. I would have just said she's really naive and from a very secluded culture and leave it at that. Like in real life we have hidden tribes that still play with sticks and refuse to evolve.
If I'm remembering correctly; elves haven't been exposed to humans for that long; they could have been away from humans for a couple of hundred years. This might explain the developmental issues.

Canes

May 27, 2018
Hey, so question. I can only have Obedience points with Lin and all other get Affection points?

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Really? It makes absolutely zero sense to me. How can Elf years be different from human years if it has the same number of minutes, days and months? Dev. just saying Elves are slow mentally, because it got to justify living for 300 years and having learned nothing. If that's the case, would they take 100+ years to reach maturity, learn to walk, speak, etc.? But hey, I've read much, much worse lore in Japanese VN's so oh well.
I'm almost certain every fantasy elf (not santa clause) lives for hundreds, or even thousands of years yet develop much much slower. For example, Legolas is 2931 years old but he looks like he's in his mid - late 20s, maybe early 30s. This is very much how I've done things, just with different scaling.

Common Elves haven't learned nothing in 300 years. Before humans arrived, they were fighting with bows and spears. Within 300 years, (equivilence of 20 human years) they went from spears and bows to guns, skyscrapers and sentient robots.

Common Elves would take 270 years to reach the development of an 18 year old human. This is why Elves have so few children since they have to take care of them for so long. They're a fragile species.

This really isn't anything new, I think almost every elf in fantasy lore is exactly like this, but with different scaling.

Shepard186282

Jun 6, 2018
I always liked the angle where elves live to close to 1000 years but go sterile around 100. Still a child by their standards. And the young elves would rather go fight for their cause as opposed to settling down to reproduce at such a young age, leading to the decline of their race. It's been a long time since i read the witcher books but i think that's where i got that from.

4.70 star(s) 443 Votes