Tutorial How To Run Japanese Games On Windows

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
I've just set my local language to Japanese.
AppLocale is great, but it is not working properly with Miku Miku Dance (MME effects as example). Also, I've tried AppLocale on Kamidori Alchemy Meister, but it's not working with it too.

I have just ran into my second game where this has happened.... I can play most games perfectly fine, with the location changed and I also use the emulator. I just bought two pretty expensive games from DLSite and just as the game is starting up, I get the error ' Japanese only' 'you need a Japanese version of Windows to run this game, please exit the game' I am at a loss, I went through this a couple of years ago when I started playing, and everything was fine until now. Anyone else have this happen. I have done everything from the tips section and worked up until now.
Never. I've tried a lot of Japanese software and games, but with Win 7 and local language set to Japanese there were no problems.

Reactions: F9Zoney

wolfsspirit

Jul 18, 2019
I am stumped , i played Kamidori and many others (eushully) games for years , now i'm on windows 10 (64bits) for a few years changed local settings to japanese as i always have and decided after some years to play those games again.
However when mounting the Cd and clicking autorun or setup to install the game my whole computer freezes and i need to do a hardreset or i get a bluescreen.
I play most japanese games without issues,for instance all rance games, big bang age, ELF games, Alicesoft etc. etc.
But eushully games crashes and/or bluescreens my computer, it gets kinda scary right now as i do not want to wreck my computer to play kamidori or La Dea memoria.
Anyone simular experiences and has a solution for this , i realy do not wish to turn back to windows 7 to play those games again

wolfsspirit

Jul 18, 2019
I need help with this... any ideas?¿
And my pc is windows 10 ?¿?¿?
Dunno if you solved it already, you need the supported programs for it , i had same problems but after a while it seemed windows had some update and the problem was solved, this is an issue with windows or RGSS3 player( the excecutable) make sure you installed latest rpg maker packs

D

Deleted member 1639561

Changed the system locale to japanese and downloaded a locale emulator, still not working...
can someone give a solution?

The game won't start because of that error message...what does it mean?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
...what does it mean?
It says file won't open, so maybe bad download or extraction. Also I think that game is RPGM 2000, you have to install it's RTP while in Japanese local (emulating it won't work).

Surgy

Modder
Apr 23, 2018
It's unusual that there is no mention of this:
can run games with cahanged locale using /R parameter like
agth.exe /R /NH "that game.exe"

krakr

Resident Drunk
Donor
Jun 25, 2017
(snip)
You simply open the .rar/zip with winrar -> Options -> Name Code *under Theme* (fuck do i know what the correct translation is - for me its in german :p) -> 932 Japanese -> unpack to desired location -> ??? -> PROFIT!
(/snip)
That's a new one on me, thanks for that.

Is the OP up to snuff with the status of VNR?
I can't look at the OP, it's a bit too much to take in while trying to read.

I would really appreciate post #1 being in a format similar to the upload post template. I understand that requires the OP to own it.
Easy to find places to put links in the upload template, rename a thing or 2, poof. It's becoming a dying art in English speaking forums to enjoy some crazy ass Japanese shit like anything by One1One or Kiss or Eushully, I'd like to link what tools I've accrued over the years. It all started with a Korean guy ..... Oh & the dudes that did Atlas & the Pirates who gave us a neverending Atlas (as long as you change your date to somewhere in the '90's or some such.)OH-text hooker started it all. Unfortunately, I lost my best atlas dictionary a year ago when I forgot to back it up. I spent like 4 years worth of editing too. Every time I had a difference between Atlas & SysTran & JParser & at one time, google. Oh shit, depending on what hard drive I have AGTH on, my dictionary may not be lost

VNR is back up & from what I know, the original ppl are being contacted to resubmit on new servers,

Last edited:

Daveson3

Aug 27, 2018
So, I installed a locale emulator. Right click the file I want to run. Select to the "Run in Japanese"option. And then nothing happens. Does it now run in Japanese automatically when I run the EXE? Am I missing something extremely obvious?

Daveson3

Aug 27, 2018
No you have to start the game with LE every time, if nothing is happening try run with application profile...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks, this solved my issue.
So I was indeed missing something obvious. Now that I once again confirmed I am bad at computers, I can continue to play lewd games knowing the world still makes sense.

Reactions: TheBlueKnight

Azuredreamer

Aug 14, 2019
I have been trying to play violated hero but this syntax error keeps on poping up and i can't seem to do anything to correct it. Can any one help me please?

Aug 17, 2019
Anyone got any recommendations about which locale emulator would be the best for my system? Currently using Windows 10 Home edition, version 1803.
Also just to make sure, I'm assuming all the ones mentioned in the op have been verified and don't run the risk of having hidden malware or miners attached right?

D

Deleted member 2738

This is driving me nuts.
It's the only Japanese RPG Maker MV game that won't work.
My non-unicode games are set to run in japanese.
I've tried reinstalling RPG Maker MV but I don't think it makes a difference as it's on Steam.
I even have the "Run in Japanese Unicode as Admin" option but that doesn't work either.
Can't even find the RTP for MV.

What do I do?
It's clearly running the game in English and failing to recognise Japanese characters.

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Can't even find the RTP for MV.
MV doesn't have a RTP. Maybe check the game files makes sure there's no corrupted Japanese file names, or try the game on the desktop. I don't think there's any patch for that game so it can't be expecting a encrypted file and not finding one.
nyone got any recommendations about which locale emulator would be the best for my system?
I have the same OS and use .

D

Deleted member 2738

MV doesn't have a RTP. Maybe check the game files makes sure there's no corrupted Japanese file names, or try the game on the desktop. I don't think there's any patch for that game so it can't be expecting a encrypted file and not finding one.
Tried both, didn't work and all the filenames seems to be fine.
Also, is it possible to stop it replacing my backslash with the Yen symbol?

Last edited by a moderator:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote