How to Translate RPGMaker and such

Hentabase

Sep 18, 2017
Hello I have been lurking on this site for maybe a year or so and have been playing these games for two years now and I've always had an interest in translating long awaited or games that I would personally like to play. I have a lot of downtime in between school and not going out that I find days with nothing to do and napping or making my own projects. I've been taking Japanese classes in high school, so I'm well versed enough to be a translator. If I get the tools and help to learn how to translate, I'd like to contribute to these forums by being on myself.

TL;DR I'm bored, I want goals to work towards = Translate hentai games for the greater good

I have several questions to start off with but feel free to drop any threads or links that could help:
1. What programs are needed? (Do I have to own a copy of RPGMaker etc.)
2. Is machine translating then hand translating the Engrish viable?
- If so, what are some machine translating programs I can use to start off?
3. Are RPGMaker games that are made on different versions of the program different in terms of coding/ability to translate as well?
4. If you yourself are a translator what are your processes?

Reactions: KURO_NEKO_SAM

madboy2009

May 29, 2017
I have done some dodgy translations in the past (mostly due to laziness with reading over the translations and correcting them)
As he said above Translator++ is an easy tool to use. for translating RPGMaker you will for older games (non MV) you will probably need this RPG Maker Unpacker (unpack the game file, move the assets, then delete game file(.rgss*a)) than open the .exe with translator++.
I recommend as you put in point 2 to use machine translation then fix the Engrish. I recommend using batch translate with google and at least another translator into different columns (adding more by right clicking on the columns bar) then entering the final in the most right one (as that is the one that gets exported).
#Note be careful with weird \'s or [] or # as they can be special characters that need to be in the end translation and are replaced by things when the game is running.

Also A cool note about Translator++ is there is no coding, though on the counter side some games have certain text that can't be translated by Translator++.
Also A note about 3, Translator++ as far as I know works with all versions of RPG maker and also with the Wolf Engine (though Wolf is touchy).
about 4; use unpacker if needed (if doing so deleting the old game.rgss3/2a THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT), Open in Translator++, Batch translate with 3 translators from the menu into 3 columns, Go through each file checking the grammar and spelling (if I want to take a break between them using "file", "save as" and putting in the file I'm currently on as the name of the save(using date modified to know the most current one) taking extra care with the script file, then exporting the translation to the game and saving the translation as "Final", then testing the game (#Note I quite oftenly test the game with machine translation to see how good it is (or check the image file to see how much action there is ;))). If the game works fine I remove the old translations (keeping Final.trans) and zip the game and upload following the rules to here (creating or stealing images). Then wait for the Admins to make final corrections and you are Good. Congratulations on uploading your translation and reading this wall of text :p.

Hentabase

Sep 18, 2017
I have done some dodgy translations in the past (mostly due to laziness with reading over the translations and correcting them)
As he said above Translator++ is an easy tool to use. for translating RPGMaker you will for older games (non MV) you will probably need this RPG Maker Unpacker (unpack the game file, move the assets, then delete game file(.rgss*a)) than open the .exe with translator++.
I recommend as you put in point 2 to use machine translation then fix the Engrish. I recommend using batch translate with google and at least another translator into different columns (adding more by right clicking on the columns bar) then entering the final in the most right one (as that is the one that gets exported).
#Note be careful with weird \'s or [] or # as they can be special characters that need to be in the end translation and are replaced by things when the game is running.

Also A cool note about Translator++ is there is no coding, though on the counter side some games have certain text that can't be translated by Translator++.
Also A note about 3, Translator++ as far as I know works with all versions of RPG maker and also with the Wolf Engine (though Wolf is touchy).
about 4; use unpacker if needed (if doing so deleting the old game.rgss3/2a THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT), Open in Translator++, Batch translate with 3 translators from the menu into 3 columns, Go through each file checking the grammar and spelling (if I want to take a break between them using "file", "save as" and putting in the file I'm currently on as the name of the save(using date modified to know the most current one) taking extra care with the script file, then exporting the translation to the game and saving the translation as "Final", then testing the game (#Note I quite oftenly test the game with machine translation to see how good it is (or check the image file to see how much action there is ;))). If the game works fine I remove the old translations (keeping Final.trans) and zip the game and upload following the rules to here (creating or stealing images). Then wait for the Admins to make final corrections and you are Good. Congratulations on uploading your translation and reading this wall of text :p.
This is extremely helpful thank you so much, you wouldnt mind if i had some follow up questions message you back? School just started back up so I'll probably start in a week or two!

madboy2009

May 29, 2017
Mh I have a "Boxed" Version and cant unpack it ? Is it RPG MV ?
It is likely. Translator++ has this tool built in if you just try and open it, but you can download it credit to .
just select the "Boxed" .exe and extract it.
#Note if it fails it's probably not RPG MV :p
Also if it has this Icon
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It is 100% RPG MV
and if you use Translator++ to extract it, it should ask if you want to see the "cache files" or something like that, click yes and copy those files to another as these will be the extracted files you need to run the game. (you can delete the old "Boxed" .exe after extracting).

Kuro-Crestia

Sep 16, 2023
Actually looking forward to playing around with translations myself. A good way to 'give back' for everything I downloaded while also getting to enjoy the game. If that isn't a win-win, I don't know what is.