Tutorial [ILLUSION] HS2 Studio Neo|Chara Maker - (Help & guides Thread)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Is this thread the place to discuss tricks for making HS2 look good (in studio particularly)? I have some things I've found work well when it comes to shaders/material editor, for example, and would love to see tips by other people for what they have found to work well.

For example Hanmen's Bluenoise Hair can look really well (photorealistic) when tuned right, but I rarely see people use it, probably because the default settings don't look good on most hair types.
I use Hanmen's Bluenoise. The same goes for deepdive eyes. They are way superior to all other eyes but they look strange until you adjust them properly and the pupil is adjusted the opposite to normal. You need to increase the number to make them smaller.
Adjusting detailnormalmapscale makes the skin bumps more noticeable up close and makes the character appear more sharp at a distance. You need to adjust it differently depending on wich shader you are using. With the standard skin shader only make small adjustments otherwise the skin will look like sandpaper, with hanmen make large adjustments lets say 4-6. The same goes for both the body and head. Using hanmen, skin color reacts very differently so if you use this you need to keep this in mind and test what looks the best. Hanmen in general requires much higher settings but there are exceptions like the lip gloss.
Just like the color, the gloss reacts very different when using hanmen. Always test all "switches" and "nobs" and see what happens. I have somewhat recently discovered a setting in material editor for the nipples named "nipple sub color" or something very similar. This is a very useful and powerful "slider" and if you are using hanmen it's absolutely essential. Besides using the color selector also test adjusting the alpha channel above 1 by typing in the numbers. There are much more but the post is already getting long.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Sepheyer and drowsy

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Great tips.

Yes, brightening the "nipple sub color" was necessary for my Hanmen skin characters. Otherwise they had very dark nips, lawl.

I used to use what was simply called "eye shader", which I think Hanmen also made, but have recently switched to DeepDive. I admit, DeepDive is much better, since you can get actual specular reflection of the environment (even with the default reflection probes) and you don't have to rely on Directional Lights to get the appropriate brightness of the eyes. Should have switched much earlier.

Here's another small thing: If you use Volumetric Light types in your scene, you can adjust the density of each individual light by clicking on the Item button down on the left (which is a mod by Hooh). You can also actually turn off the light and retain the volumetric effect alone, even though that doesn't really make sense, but hey, in some scenes it looks good. For example, I wanted underwater pool lights: I used Volumetric Point Lights with heavy volumetric density, but turned off the actual light, and it looked pretty realistic from above, since it seemed like the light scattered in the water.

Speaking of lights, if you have 15 minutes and don't mind clicking your mouse ca. 400 times, you can create a custom volumetric light beam. There is a Scene Setting option called "Sunshine" or something, which can be nice, but it is directional, not volumetric, and cannot be placed wherever you want. I wanted sun beams to be visible from the side, inside the room, so I did this. The method is kinda tedious, but can create a cool effect in some scenes:

First, find the place where you want your light beam (or "god ray") to occur. For example, you might want a beam of light to be visibly shining in from a window, down to the floor. Then, create a Shape: Cube that covers exactly where you want that light beam to go; e.g. covering the entire window and angled, in the direction of sunlight, so that it stretches diagonally down to the floor. Actually, it is best if the center of that cube is exactly on the middle of the window pane, meaning that it stretches equally out outside the window (hopefully you're not planning to look closely out the window, but I haven't had an issue with it).

Okay, now you have a cube that will be the outer limit of your volumetric light beam. Go into its Material Properties, change its shader to Hanmen Item Alpha (or some other Alpha shader). Set its alpha value to like 0.001, so that it is effectively transparent. But now, set its Emission Color to 1, 1, 1 (or whatever color light you want, but should be bright), and set its Emission to something like 10. Make sure that it is still just barely, if at all, visible. Why? Because you are going to copy this object 20+ times, and change its position and/or scale slightly each time. I recommend, if you placed the Cube with its center exactly on the windowpane, to lower its scale slightly (~10 cm in length) each time, so that each new one you create reaches a shorter and shorter distance into the room. You should "go through" the entire volume with this method, ending on a cube that has basically no scale. This makes the lightbeam "fade" as it enters the room. All the Cube objects will add together, creating a nice volumetric beam.

I recommend making a folder to parent all those cubes, to keep some organization. Even though you create lots of objects (you could create 100s if you want multiple beams, just by copying the folder you just created), they are just cubes, so I don't think they make that big of a system impact. You can do it with other shapes besides cubes, like if you're doing it for a circular hole getting sunlight through it or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr-Fox and Sepheyer

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
Adjusting detailnormalmapscale makes the skin bumps more noticeable up close and makes the character appear more sharp at a distance. You need to adjust it differently depending on wich shader you are using. With the standard skin shader only make small adjustments otherwise the skin will look like sandpaper, with hanmen make large adjustments lets say 4-6. The same goes for both the body and head. Using hanmen, skin color reacts very differently so if you use this you need to keep this in mind and test what looks the best. Hanmen in general requires much higher settings but there are exceptions like the lip gloss.
Just like the color, the gloss reacts very different when using hanmen. Always test all "switches" and "nobs" and see what happens. I have somewhat recently discovered a setting in material editor for the nipples named "nipple sub color" or something very similar. This is a very useful and powerful "slider" and if you are using hanmen it's absolutely essential. Besides using the color selector also test adjusting the alpha channel above 1 by typing in the numbers. There are much more but the post is already getting long.
Agree re SubNipColor being essential. Initially when switching to Hanmen body shaders all nipples seem to go a dark greyish chocolatey colour until using this feature.

I have had a play with DetailNormalMapScale slider and can't see any effect. I'm using Hanmen/Next-Gen Body Shader. Am I missing something?
EDIT - just had a play with a card using standard AIT/Skin True shader and wow! sandpaper.
1670209835102.png

A couple of other things that I've noticed playing with shaders, that I have no use for, but someone else might:

If you are into that sort of thing, you can use VeinsColor and VeinsOpacity to adjust the colour and prominence of veins.
1670208692131.png

Similarly, if you wanted to show a character blood-soaked you can set WetColor to a deep red, increase its transparency slider to full and then play with WetDropsAmount slider as well. You can test it with Gravure quickly, setting wetness to full.
It is possible to do a full "Carrie".
1670208589155.png

Last edited:

ethanoll123

Feb 3, 2018
No, its included in the repack already.
You can turn it on in F1 menu, search for FPS.
Render/ Vsync there is 140ms when on screen are more then 2 characters.
pretty sure you can also turn off shadows as well for the same effect, since I think those are the things that actually cause lag not the light itself ethanoll123
or you could lower the shadow draw distance too, with a more gradual effect, though it may look like shite
It helps a little! But still I don't understand why before it worked normal and now it's lagging.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
Great tips.

Yes, brightening the "nipple sub color" was necessary for my Hanmen skin characters. Otherwise they had very dark nips, lawl.

I used to use what was simply called "eye shader", which I think Hanmen also made, but have recently switched to DeepDive. I admit, DeepDive is much better, since you can get actual specular reflection of the environment (even with the default reflection probes) and you don't have to rely on Directional Lights to get the appropriate brightness of the eyes. Should have switched much earlier.

Here's another small thing: If you use Volumetric Light types in your scene, you can adjust the density of each individual light by clicking on the Obj button down on the left (which is a mod by Hooh). You can also actually turn off the light and retain the volumetric effect alone, even though that doesn't really make sense, but hey, in some scenes it looks good. For example, I wanted underwater pool lights: I used Volumetric Point Lights with heavy volumetric density, but turned off the actual light, and it looked pretty realistic from above, since it seemed like the light scattered in the water.

Speaking of lights, if you have 15 minutes and don't mind clicking your mouse ca. 400 times, you can create a custom volumetric light beam. There is a Scene Setting option called "Sunshine" or something, which can be nice, but it is directional, not volumetric, and cannot be placed wherever you want. I wanted sun beams to be visible from the side, inside the room, so I did this. The method is kinda tedious, but can create a cool effect in some scenes:

First, find the place where you want your light beam (or "god ray") to occur. For example, you might want a beam of light to be visibly shining in from a window, down to the floor. Then, create a Shape: Cube that covers exactly where you want that light beam to go; e.g. covering the entire window and angled, in the direction of sunlight, so that it stretches diagonally down to the floor. Actually, it is best if the center of that cube is exactly on the middle of the window pane, meaning that it stretches equally out outside the window (hopefully you're not planning to look closely out the window, but I haven't had an issue with it).

Okay, now you have a cube that will be the outer limit of your volumetric light beam. Go into its Material Properties, change its shader to Hanmen Item Alpha (or some other Alpha shader). Set its alpha value to like 0.001, so that it is effectively transparent. But now, set its Emission Color to 1, 1, 1 (or whatever color light you want, but should be bright), and set its Emission to something like 10. Make sure that it is still just barely, if at all, visible. Why? Because you are going to copy this object 20+ times, and change its position and/or scale slightly each time. I recommend, if you placed the Cube with its center exactly on the windowpane, to lower its scale slightly (~10 cm in length) each time, so that each new one you create reaches a shorter and shorter distance into the room. You should "go through" the entire volume with this method, ending on a cube that has basically no scale. This makes the lightbeam "fade" as it enters the room. All the Cube objects will add together, creating a nice volumetric beam.

I recommend making a folder to parent all those cubes, to keep some organization. Even though you create lots of objects (you could create 100s if you want multiple beams, just by copying the folder you just created), they are just cubes, so I don't think they make that big of a system impact. You can do it with other shapes besides cubes, like if you're doing it for a circular hole getting sunlight through it or whatever.
Volumetric Lights Hack

There is a lovely hack to volumetric lights - the colored shadow object. I see YeyeBirdie uses it heavily in his scenes, adding that AAA polish.

Here is a sample scene:
https://f95zone.to/threads/illusion...o-neo-scene-sharing-thread.85125/post-9253629

And a preview:
HS2_2022-10-26-17-16-01-954.png

And here yet another scene:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Preview:
HS2_2022-09-14-16-28-40-765.png

These colored shadows are a wonderful tool and for me personally they completely replaced the volumetric lights.

Edit: Clothes by Mr. Fox, you want these trust me:
HS2CoordeF_20220513180833298.png HS2CoordeF_20220514013333082.png HS2CoordeF_20220514175613790.png HS2CoordeF_20220514212101456.png HS2CoordeF_20220515185457277.png HS2CoordeF_20220515192526924.png HS2CoordeF_20220515200138701.png HS2CoordeF_20220516203817916.png HS2CoordeF_20220516210852238.png HS2CoordeF_20220520191910995.png HS2CoordeF_20220607215251132.png HS2CoordeF_20220607215856644.png HS2CoordeF_20220609004354863.png HS2CoordeF_20220609004511508.png HS2CoordeF_20220609004720135.png HS2CoordeF_20220610233505432.png HS2CoordeF_20220610233656284.png HS2CoordeF_20220610233816526.png

Last edited:

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Volumetric Lights Hack

There is a lovely hack to volumetric lights - the colored shadow object. I see YeyeBirdie uses it heavily in his scenes, adding that AAA polish.

Here is a sample scene:
https://f95zone.to/threads/illusion...o-neo-scene-sharing-thread.85125/post-9253629

And a preview:
View attachment 2214175

Preview:
View attachment 2214178

These colored shadows are a wonderful tool and for me personally they completely replaced the volumetric lights.
This gym scene looks really good. Almost like a DS scene render.
But them clothes looks awfully familiar. What kind of freak made those?..
I gotta say though that this T-yellow look great with the contrasting white in this lighting.

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
This gym scene looks really good. Almost like a DS scene render.
But them clothes looks awfully familiar. What kind of freak made those?..
I gotta say though that this T-yellow look great with the contrasting white in this lighting.
That thing you put together ended up being my go to workout dress!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Mr-Fox

AmaNo04

Jul 6, 2020
Render/ Vsync there is 140ms when on screen are more then 2 characters.
You are not using High Poly Uncensor right?
I found someone who had similar issue as yours.
I didnt see the guy saying his issue was solved or not, but here is and .
TLDR, the guy who helped him told him to check the uncensor, toning down the graphic preset and disabling some mods that using very high resolution.
The second one also got similar advise in changing the uncensor but seems didnt worked and he fed up.

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
Volumetric Lights Hack

Here is a sample scene:

And a preview:
View attachment 2214175

Preview:
View attachment 2214178

View attachment 2214459 View attachment 2214460 View attachment 2214461 View attachment 2214462 View attachment 2214463 View attachment 2214464 View attachment 2214465 View attachment 2214466 View attachment 2214467 View attachment 2214468 View attachment 2214469 View attachment 2214470 View attachment 2214471 View attachment 2214472 View attachment 2214473 View attachment 2214474 View attachment 2214475 View attachment 2214476
Mr-Fox needs to open his own sports clothing store.

• Red Heart

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
Volumetric Lights Hack

Here is a sample scene:

And a preview:
View attachment 2214175

Preview:
View attachment 2214178

View attachment 2214459 View attachment 2214460 View attachment 2214461 View attachment 2214462 View attachment 2214463 View attachment 2214464 View attachment 2214465 View attachment 2214466 View attachment 2214467 View attachment 2214468 View attachment 2214469 View attachment 2214470 View attachment 2214471 View attachment 2214472 View attachment 2214473 View attachment 2214474 View attachment 2214475 View attachment 2214476
Your screenshots look really nice, and I hadn't tried the Colored Shadow object yet. However, it's a 2d object, a flat plane, so it's a "hack" which looks good from a specific angle, not a true volume of light, right? That's what I tried to achieve with my tedious process of copy-pasting a shape lots of times: a 3-dimensional volume of light which a character (or the camera) can move through and "fill in" space from all angles. I suppose that could be done successfully with the Colored Shadow object, copy-pasting it lots of times. You can get something with Hooh's Volumetric Shadow object, but that only darkens things. I haven't gotten Hooh's Fog objects to work properly.

By the way, here's a couple screenshots of the "lightbeam" method I detailed above, using cubes and cylinders:
HS2_2022-12-05-12-55-54-151.png

HS2_2022-12-05-12-56-25-054.png

AmaNo04

Jul 6, 2020
I have had a play with DetailNormalMapScale slider and can't see any effect. I'm using Hanmen/Next-Gen Body Shader. Am I missing something?
It does change something, but its not apparent.
I tried zooming in to very close and the only part where it looks different is breast.
Also setting the Gloss to the max help you to tell the difference

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
I tried zooming in to very close and the only part where it looks different is breast.
Thanks. I clearly need to have more of a play ... or to get my eyes fixed.
Good job that the main impact is on the breasts. It means I'll spend even more time on them :love:

• Haha
Reactions: Kaseijin and Mr-Fox

Sepheyer

Dec 21, 2020
Your screenshots look really nice, and I hadn't tried the Colored Shadow object yet. However, it's a 2d object, a flat plane, so it's a "hack" which looks good from a specific angle, not a true volume of light, right? That's what I tried to achieve with my tedious process of copy-pasting a shape lots of times: a 3-dimensional volume of light which a character (or the camera) can move through and "fill in" space from all angles. I suppose that could be done successfully with the Colored Shadow object, copy-pasting it lots of times. You can get something with Hooh's Volumetric Shadow object, but that only darkens things. I haven't gotten Hooh's Fog objects to work properly.

By the way, here's a couple screenshots of the "lightbeam" method I detailed above, using cubes and cylinders:
View attachment 2214754

View attachment 2214755
The screenshots are gorgeous.

Any chance you can post the scene for us to test it out?

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021

View attachment 2214754

View attachment 2214755
Impressive. Another great artist.

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Also if you try this with any of my recent characters since Plane Jane, they have an edited detailglossmap and has much more powerfull effect when adjusting detailnormalmapscale.

Reactions: Velcrofly

ethanoll123

Feb 3, 2018
You are not using High Poly Uncensor right?
I found someone who had similar issue as yours.
I didnt see the guy saying his issue was solved or not, but here is and .
TLDR, the guy who helped him told him to check the uncensor, toning down the graphic preset and disabling some mods that using very high resolution.
The second one also got similar advise in changing the uncensor but seems didnt worked and he fed up.
Oh thanks for found similar problems! I worte to them.
I throw away these uncensors, nothing changed I feel like I did almost everything..
By the way is that huge diffrence when I use hdd disk instead of ssd?

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
It helps a little! But still I don't understand why before it worked normal and now it's lagging.
You can also make sure that you are using your dedicated GPU to run the game, and not your integrated one in your control panel (AMD or Nvidia), but besides that, I've no idea why it could run worse

AmaNo04

Jul 6, 2020
Oh thanks for found similar problems! I worte to them.
I throw away these uncensors, nothing changed I feel like I did almost everything..
By the way is that huge diffrence when I use hdd disk instead of ssd?
Putting the game in SSD and HDD only affect the loading time imo.
Especially for the first run after boot.
But for loading props and stuff, I dont know.
Some props takes long time to load e.g. AiLegend's stuff even though I put the game in the PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
Hi all, I have a Studio question:

Does anyone know of a way to combine VNGE and MMD in such a way where a card when launched will just play both?

I am working on a Scene that I think needs both:
MMD for the dance routine and music, VNGE for state of dress (and I also use it for changing camera angles).
Is there a way of combining or an alternative method to achieve this?

I have a manual workaround which is to load the card then run both simultaneously and it looks OK. But it's like giving someone a present that they unwrap, only to find they need to run to the shop to buy a special type of battery.

Thanks in advance

drowsy

Nov 23, 2017
-dimensional volume of light which a character (or the camera) can move through and "fill in" space from all angles. I suppose that could be done successfully with th
The screenshots are gorgeous.

Any chance you can post the scene for us to test it out?
I unfortunately don't have the scene ready to send right now but I can tell you that the "map" is actually just an object: "Abandoned Warehouse" is the name, I believe. It looks good because the textures are higher res. The light beam effect I explained in my previous post.

That's a general tip though: I've found some decent "maps" are actually listed as objects.
Hi all, I have a Studio question:

Does anyone know of a way to combine VNGE and MMD in such a way where a card when launched will just play both?

I am working on a Scene that I think needs both:
MMD for the dance routine and music, VNGE for state of dress (and I also use it for changing camera angles).
Is there a way of combining or an alternative method to achieve this?

I have a manual workaround which is to load the card then run both simultaneously and it looks OK. But it's like giving someone a present that they unwrap, only to find they need to run to the shop to buy a special type of battery.

Thanks in advance
If you are using MMDD (MMD Director), you can load and edit VNGE clips directly in MMDD, just like you load .vmd or .wav files. It's called "Load vAnime" clip or something. If you are not using using MMDD, to begin using it rather than the default MMD editor (presuming you have Better Repack), you have to find MMDD in the Optional Mods folder and drag it to your actual Mods folder. Then, to open MMDD in Studio, open the little VNGE start menu, go to Utilities, and it should be there.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote