Mod Wolf RPG Imouto! Life ~Monochrome~ Improvements Mod [0.3.1] [saboro]

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
First off thank yall for the replies. Now I've never done anything like this before so I haven't a clue what to do, but I can give it a shot. I got a few questions to get me started.

1. I am just going to give it a wild guess and say that Paint isn't going to cut it in the image editing department :LOL:, Got any recommendations I can use?

2. After I make my edits is there anything I have to do afterward to get it all working again?
1. Yeah, paint isn't going to cut it :LOL:. Free tools like and are good enough for this, those have layers support.

2. Not really, the game reads "cg.wolf" and "picture.wolf" if they're present and grabs the images from there. If they aren't, it tries to locate folders named "cg" and "picture" instead. That's why you only need to remove them and paste the mod folders there to install the colored mod. It's just a replacement.

Anyways, your reply convinced me to take those images a good look and do any needed changes for you. I'll write a new reply here.

Reactions: Jellyluve

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
Jellyluve, here you have. loli senpai's mod album pics and latest decensored images weren't up to date.

I tried to make the pics I edited look as close as possible to the other pics.

Instructions to install everything:
- Delete "cg.wolf" and "picture.wolf" from my mod, they are inside the data folder.
- Copy "CG" and "Picture" folders from his/her mod into the data directory (where "cg.wolf" and "picture.wolf" were).
- Copy "CG" and "Picture" folders from my shared rar into the data directory, overwriting files when asked.

Be sure you use the fan translated version of my mod, loli senpai's mod is based on the fan translated ver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jellyluve

Jellyluve

Apr 17, 2017
Thank you for your hard work and I am very grateful. I do feel bad that you ended up putting more time into this game than you already have though. With that said, I don't even want to think about how much time I would have ended up taking just fumbling around trying to get everything to work. o_O

Well again, thank you for your time, and have a nice day/night. (y)

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: saboro

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
I love the color mod as a concept but the trolling and poorly inserted memes kill it for me and just kinda ruin the game.
Attempting to remove those specific files results in game errors.

The improvements mod is godtier on it's own tho so I'm happi

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
it only gives me the rar file. How do i do it?
Would you care to elaborate? What are you trying to do and what did you download?

I love the color mod as a concept but the trolling and poorly inserted memes kill it for me and just kinda ruin the game.
Attempting to remove those specific files results in game errors.

The improvements mod is godtier on it's own tho so I'm happi
Glad you like it!
About what you're trying to do with the colors mod... every image is needed, all of them are referenced in the game. If you remove one, the game will crash once it tries to access it. You'd have to edit the "trolling" images with an image editor instead, or replace them with their black and white counterparts. IMHO, that mod is cool as a concept but would be better with some extra shading work and more care to not mess up the drawings' outlines. I myself am okay with the original b/w aesthetics.

Last edited:

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
Would you care to elaborate? What are you trying to do and what did you download?

Glad you like it!
About what you're trying to do with the colors mod... every image is needed, all of them are referenced in the game. If you remove one, the game will crash once it tries to access it. You'd have to edit the "trolling" images with an image editor instead, or replace them with their black and white counterparts. IMHO, that mod is cool as a concept but would be better with some extra shading work and more care to not mess up the drawings' outlines. I myself am okay with the original b/w aesthetics.
I completely agree. I can never shame someone doing work for free, but the trolling was unnecessary and brings down the final product of the mod itself. I have other gripes about the work, but I still can't complain.

I've thought of using a tool to extract files from the .wolf files and using the colour mod and your update as a base for edits...
If I could I'd like to put in the work to learn and edit a new mild version colour mod but I'd have to unpack the files first and get a better editor other than paint

Last edited:
Reactions: 790312

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
I completely agree. I can never shame someone doing work for free, but the trolling was unnecessary and brings down the final product of the mod itself. I have other gripes about the wok, but I still can't complain.

I've thought of using a tool to extract files from the .wolf files and using the colour mod and your update as a base for edits...
If I could learn I'd like to put in the work to learn and edit a new mild version colour mod but I'd have to upack the files first and get a better editor other than paint
I normally use to unpack this game's files. You just have to drag the .wolf to "WolfDec.exe" and voila. To do something like proper coloring, you can use any image editor with layer support; is totally free and more than enough for that.

As an example, here's my attempt at coloring one of the images using mostly layers in multiply mode, with gimp. Gave it a try long ago but colors ended up... too washed-out for my taste.

bg_006_02.png

My coloring skills suck, but I guess that a mod with coloring similar to this wouldn't be too bad. I lack the time to do it, though.

I can pm you the .xcf file if you wanna see how I made that one, just let me know.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Asriel98 and akapp

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
I normally use to unpack this game's files. You just have to drag the .wolf to "WolfDec.exe" and voila. To do something like proper coloring, you can use any image editor with layer support; is totally free and more than enough for that.

As an example, here's my attempt at coloring one of the images using mostly layers in multiply mode, with gimp. Gave it a try long ago but colors ended up... too washed-out for my taste.

View attachment 1632568

My coloring skills suck, but I guess that a mod with coloring similar to this wouldn't be too bad. I lack the time to do it, though.

I can pm you the .xcf file if you wanna see how I made that one, just let me know.
I've spent some time learning GIMP and thanks for the extractor you recommended.

A replacement using B&W originals instead of troll panels is inadequate, and so I find myself debating myself on whether to just add colour to B&W images or just going through the whole set changing whatever bothers me. At that point it becomes less adding to loli's project and more shamelessly editing his work.

I might have to ask him if he would even allow his work to be used as a base. :/

I did use the image you made to play with skin/hair tones tho.
Feel free to send the file btw

Last edited:
Reactions: akapp and saboro

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
These are just very basic edits. Changing colours/editing

The first one is just making the TV blank

Second was making the MC the same skin colour as Imouto

The last one isn't very good and could use more color differentation.

I thought it might be fun to edit the MC to the OG Colour Imouto skin and replace the Imouto with the skin/hair from your picture. That's the difference between the two pics in my previous post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 790312 and saboro

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
I've spent some time learning GIMP and thanks for the extractor you recommended.

A replacement using B&W originals instead of troll panels is inadequate, and so I find myself debating myself on whether to just add colour to B&W images or just going through the whole set changing whatever bothers me. At that point it becomes less adding to loli's project and more shamelessly editing his work.

I might have to ask him if he would even allow his work to be used as a base. :/

I did use the image you made to play with skin/hair tones tho.
Feel free to send the file btw
Thanks for sharing your edits (y)
I sent you the file along other useful stuff. Hope your mod turns out nice!

Oct 28, 2021
These are just very basic edits. Changing colours/editing

The first one is just making the TV blank

Second was making the MC the same skin colour as Imouto

The last one isn't very good and could use more color differentation.

I thought it might be fun to edit the MC to the OG Colour Imouto skin and replace the Imouto with the skin/hair from your picture. That's the difference between the two pics in my previous post.
I do also agree on that the original color mod although a great feat, it does have some bothersome imperfections and I am quite interested in another attempt to color/improve the colores version of the game images. I have some coloring skills but by no means good, so maybe I will also try to give this a go when I have time, although there are probably many hundred images in total.

I prefer your color choices more, but I would also change the background to less saturated colors, let me know if you wanna further discuss about this!

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
I'm halfway through the Picture folder, haven't started CG's yet. I think CG might take a good bulk of time.
There certainly is a lot of images, but because my edits are mostly light tailoring I can do up to 5 or 10 images before I get a bit burnt out. I'm not sure if I'll focus on background edits atm tho. If I can get all the basic stuff finished then I'll probably look into doing more editing.

These images should give a better idea of the edits I've been doing so far.

hippopotamuus

Jul 8, 2018
this seems to be the same version as the originals but why the size is smaller than them? is it because of adjustments or this one is not complete?

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
this seems to be the same version as the originals but why the size is smaller than them? is it because of adjustments or this one is not complete?
I've packaged and compressed them in a different way, that's why. The official and fan translated versions here have everything packaged into split .wolf files, the fan translated ver. is also a .rar instead of a .zip. And of course, my modifications also change their size.

The two versions shared in the OP are up to date and complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: hippopotamuus

DeadEnd72

Apr 4, 2020
I wanna upload this now because life troubles over the past few months.
Only thing unfinished is a black and white pregnancy ending. I couldn't get the hair to look nice after numerous times.
When I have more time and less life bs I'll just skip to CG and think about the Picture pregnancy end later.
I also haven't had time to test my colour edits in game, or even play the sequel.
Reccomendations are welcome!

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: akapp and saboro

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
I wanna upload this now because life troubles over the past few months.
Only thing unfinished is a black and white pregnancy ending. I couldn't get the hair to look nice after numerous times.
When I have more time and less life bs I'll just skip to CG and think about the Picture pregnancy end later.
I also haven't had time to test my colour edits in game, or even play the sequel.
Reccomendations are welcome!
Nice! Thank you for sharing. I like it more than what we had.
I hope you overcome those life troubles and you can work on the CGs and finish it.
Think about posting it in the main game thread too, I'm sure way more people will see it there.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: akapp and DeadEnd72

saboro

Sep 28, 2019
which translation is better? the official or the fan translation?
The fan translation feels more natural, the official translation is more literal. They also use different fonts. I personally think the fan translation is way better, but many people prefer the official one. Fantasmic took the time to post screenshots showcasing differences between both versions here, check them out and decide for yourself.

Your same exact question has been answered many times before in the original game thread, so please, next time use the search function (if you're inside a thread, the scope of the top right search is limited to that thread by default).

Last edited:
Reactions: Shura Matoi
4.50 star(s) 2 Votes