Mod Wolf RPG Imouto Seikatsu ~Fantasy~ Translation Revision/Mod [DLCv0.1.0] [Imouto_prpr]

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
ScreenShot_2024_0617_20_09_23.png
We are here to love and to learn

Overview:
Welcome to the thread for this ongoing translation project/mod of Imouto! Seikatsu ~Fantasy~! If you are here, then it is likely you have already seen the existing thread for the Shadesishere translation and may be asking yourself what the deal is with this project existing at all. In brief, discovering this game late (very late...) and jumping right into the fan version + FFFox Mod, I was immediately... a bit underwhelmed. It was mildly surprising to find the translation in the state it was in, resulting in the urge to at least fix a few things, which quickly ballooned in scope into revising the entirety of the translation, targeting a better reading, more accurate, and weebier(?) script. My understanding is that other versions have been improving as well of late, but... Well, we've already come this far, right? Though originally built on top of the existing English fan translation, the current version in progress is a direct modification of the Japanese game with DLC and an original translation.​

>>DLC UPDATE<<
It's here!

Expected/Known Issues:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Up Next:

Updated: 2024/06/19
Game: Imouto Seikatsu ~Fantasy~ // //
Creator: Inusuku
Modder: 妹prpr (Imouto_prpr)
Mod Version: DLCv0.1.0
Game Version: 2.0.1 + DLC 1.00
Other Content Included: mello.second's Decensor (modified)
Other Versions: Shadesishere Fan TL, FFFox Mod,
Language: English
Save Compatibility: Like Shades's and BlueFireNick's fan versions, this is built on top of the Japanese version of the game and is thus compatible with save files from that version (or other fan versions). If you wish to use saves from the Kagura version, download the Kagura Save Compatibility archive and drop it over your game installation. DO NOT use the save compatibility file if you are not importing Kagura saves as it will render the game incompatible with Japanese/fan TL saves.
Mod Compatibility: Mods which just replace visual assets, like Daseson's Color Mod, should work fine on top, with the caveat that they may also replace any updated translations on those assets (think the panty descriptions, for example). DLC just came out so at this time fan content is generally not fully compatible with the game.

Preview Images:

Available Packages:

Installation:

Recent Changes (DLCv0.1.0):
Download: || || pixeldrain /

Last edited:

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
TL Notes
Q&A

Q. Really though, what's the deal with doing a "revised translation"?
Q. So what makes this translation interesting?
Q. Definitely sounds weeby.
Q. Why "Imouto"?
Q. You mentioned references; does this translation include added references?
Q. How about removed content?
Q. What's with the low version number?
Q. What about FFFox Mod? Other additional content?
Q. I found an error, should I report it?
Q. I have a non-precanned question!

Last edited:

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
Mm, yeah, this looks like a game issue rather than a TL issue. JP line is:
> お兄ちゃんの赤ちゃんできちゃうかもだよ…?いいの?
Pretty much literally "I might have Onii-chan's baby" + "you know...?" added because of the question mark ("dayo...?" even has a similar voice inflection). I disagree with Nick's assessment that it's more of a "what if?" (in my head that would change the verb form to "dekitara" and not use "kamo", like, "赤ちゃんできたらどうしよう?") but we're really splitting hairs there lol. Like he said, the game must be calling the lines inappropriately because of some other flags. I think there are some other scenes where she never stops saying things regarding pregnancy that can't happen (post-bathroom masturbation when you go in I believe always does it?). Could add alternative dialogue at some point for this stuff if it all gets identified, or not; having her complain about such things has a certain charm of its own, after all.

Last edited:

torresm

Apr 5, 2020
Q. Definitely sounds weeby.
As someone who was introduced to VNs by mirrormoon's TL of Tsukihime, this resonates with me. Give me all the honorifics, weird onomatopoeias, and TL notes that cover half the screen. And yes, that includes those TL notes of yours if you ever get around to writing them.

I appreciate the work you've done so far, this is now my favorite version of this game.

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
As someone who was introduced to VNs by mirrormoon's TL of Tsukihime, this resonates with me. Give me all the honorifics, weird onomatopoeias, and TL notes that cover half the screen. And yes, that includes those TL notes of yours if you ever get around to writing them.

I appreciate the work you've done so far, this is now my favorite version of this game.
Haha, thanks. I booted up that very TL not too long ago as reference for the layout of a classic ADV-style VN. Of course the random save I loaded had to be the scene where Shiki rapes Arcueid, because he do be like that... It's great that most of that stuff will still run even on modern PCs after all these years though, huh? Except Utawarerumono, unless you think you can do the timing minigame at 10x speed...

I probably won't have time to work on adding features to the game in the near future thanks to the DLC, but since in this case it's possible to modify the actual game's code in Wolf Editor, it should in theory be reasonable to even add TL notes as a context window when you hover them or something, right? That said, I have no experience actually using Wolf Editor and am just now starting to poke around in there to prep for the DLC, but we'll see.

Reactions: torresm

bdikkus

Dec 14, 2019
Cool. Having had a lot of issues with the previous translation, this certainly piques my interest. I'll give a shot soon-ish.

joballs

Apr 12, 2018
In an age where machine translation and slanted 'localizations' rain supreme it's nice to see someone keeping the weebslation alive. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Imouto_prpr

Srtee1

May 25, 2020
I'm all in for the weebiest translation of this godly game. The dilution of culture with the current "localization" mindset is really horrible. Text filled games and light novels get the worst of it as you can't hear the original dialogue as with anime.

Looking forward to your rendition of the game + DLC. I'd want to play it as is before any mods.

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
I'm all in for the weebiest translation of this godly game. The dilution of culture with the current "localization" mindset is really horrible. Text filled games and light novels get the worst of it as you can't hear the original dialogue as with anime.

Looking forward to your rendition of the game + DLC. I'd want to play it as is before any mods.
(Unfortunately) this translation uses FFFox Mod so it's already including some extra third-party content.

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
Text filled games and light novels get the worst of it as you can't hear the original dialogue as with anime.
Right!? Once you're at a certain comprehension level you can just flip the subs off on anime and not have to deal with it, but that's far more challenging with purely written media. And without accompanying voice, there isn't a lot of reference to tell how accurate a translation is even attempting to be. I can't promise that I won't make mistakes (in fact, I'm sure I will), but I do hope to at least not be intentionally inaccurate, which is unfortunately not something that can be taken for granted...

I've been having a very good experience so far porting directly to the Japanese version, so my thoughts on this are evolving quickly. At the very least, I definitely intend to maintain a "vanilla" version of the game + DLC ongoing. As far as added content... I'm not entirely sure now. I might end up going a bit lighter with fan content than I was previously thinking, and will do so in a separate version. We'll see though, getting the official content up, running, and polished is the current priority.

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
(Unfortunately) this translation uses FFFox Mod so it's already including some extra third-party content.
Haha, yeah, so it is right now. I am currently porting directly to the base Japanese version at the moment though which will be my starting point for the DLC, so that will be effectively the vanilla game. I will continue to maintain that version as well going forward regardless of what I decide to do as far as fan content goes.

• Red Heart
Reactions: hurrdurrderpderp

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
Haha, yeah, so it is right now. I am currently porting directly to the base Japanese version at the moment though which will be my starting point for the DLC, so that will be effectively the vanilla game. I will continue to maintain that version as well going forward regardless of what I decide to do as far as fan content goes.
There is also possibility to patch FFFox Mod and add flag to disable mod content but I assume it will be quite a hurdle, both for initial patch and later on for updates.

And with coming DLC it would mean
- waiting a week or so for Shade's translation, then
- waiting God knows how long for FFox Mod update and then
- patching mod content again.

Meanwhile Inusuku will surely update his base game 5 or so times because of random bugs.
Truly Sisyphean struggle.

May I ask if you're using git or other version control system for your project?

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
May I ask if you're using git or other version control system for your project?
Haha, no, that's way beyond what I'm used to and probably not particularly compatible with the software I am using. Thus far I have been working almost exclusively inside Translator++, with a hex editor and Notepad++ to look through scripts when useful. I make backups of the translation project whenever I remember to and keep all old release versions in case a rollback ends up being necessary for some reason, but there's no formal process I'm following. I have been poking around the Japanese version with Wolf Editor recently and do expect to be able to do a lot from there, just need to invest the time to learn. I'll definitely be documenting any changes I make there for my own reference as that stuff will have to be reapplied any time Inusuku does an update (on the script side, Translator++ should be able to handle small updates without too much trouble, hopefully).

It's possible that I'll scavenge some things from FFFox Mod, we'll see. There is stuff I rather like (something simple like the Adventure Book bundles will absolutely make it into post-DLC versions unless Inusuku adds stuff that makes them unnecessary) but also stuff I'm looking at that's kind of... maybe not improving the experience for me? And in the end, my primary audience is actually myself, so if it's not something that I will enjoy, it's hard to justify putting effort into supporting it. It would be nice if things could be more modular in general but working with Wolf Engine on a relatively obscure game I really don't have high hopes for this.

I do have my own ideas for content as well, though creating assets is a roadblock to going too far with that. Since I will have a vanilla version available I think I can experiment a little with adding stuff that I think is appropriate. Don't expect people to just blindly trust my taste when it comes to such things, but as with what I've done so far I'd rather just demonstrate it rather than say words on the internet if possible. Anyhow, I fucking love this game and just want to have a version I can recommend to people without having to put awkward caveats on it.

EDIT: Oh and as an aside, I know it comes from a good place, but I really would rather not have to work with the external script format Nick has ported his version to. Between searching up lines in Translator++ (which will display them alongside the Japanese script as well) and having to grep a huge pile of text documents which I need to reference against other text documents, it's clear which will be less of a headache to work with. Working directly off the Japanese version is also helping to fix up all the lines that were randomly split or removed in the existing English versions, and I'm pretty sure it's also fixed the save screen bugs during daytime scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: hurrdurrderpderp

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
Haha, no, that's way beyond what I'm used to and probably not particularly compatible with the software I am using. Thus far I have been working almost exclusively inside Translator++, with a hex editor and Notepad++ to look through scripts when useful. (...) (on the script side, Translator++ should be able to handle small updates without too much trouble, hopefully).
More than year ago I've started to code a relatively simple tool to carry over old translation to the new version of game.
Around halfway into finishing user interface I've realized I'm making frontend for git with some fancy features. It was both silly (just use git at this point, duh) and pointless (Shade's translation is/was 90% unedited MTL) so I've decided to stop coding.

Probably way more fancy approach than just using Translator++ but since Translator++ can (?) handle script updates it's also an unnecessary approach.
But I'm just twaddling at this point. I'm looking forward to see the future of this project since your audience is not only you, but somehow also me.

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
Probably way more fancy approach than just using Translator++ but since Translator++ can (?) handle script updates it's also an unnecessary approach.
But I'm just twaddling at this point. I'm looking forward to see the future of this project since your audience is not only you, but somehow also me.
Heh, appreciate it. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think that Translator++ indexes every different line in a project by its location in the game files (like, CommonEvent/XXX and so own) and the precise text of each line. When swapping to a new version, it should be able to line things up again in most cases, the exception maybe being its context feature which bundles together identical lines and I could see getting confused if the number of instances of that line changes in the update. I did a brief test by adding lines to an event and importing the project file over the modified game archive and it seemed to handle that at least.

An easy check for changes does seem handy, though. Wonder if just exporting the base script to git would properly highlight differences. I don't really care about the changes in my script, more just whatever Inusuku does so I know where I need to look.
Shade's translation is/was 90% unedited MTL
Honestly something that eats at me is that it might not be unedited in a lot of cases. Some certainly are (there are lines where the MTL clearly interpreted a formatting command as a word and stuffed it in the script out of position) but when he recently described his understanding of the flower girl scene I was thrown for a loop, because I had assumed that he had never read those lines or encountered them in the game. The fact that he does actually have the knowledge and awareness yet the script is still as it is suggests a whole different sort of concern...

Last edited:

hurrdurrderpderp

Apr 4, 2020
When swapping to a new version, it should be able to line things up again in most cases
Oh I hope it will be the case this time too; I remember each time Shade was updating he was translating everything from scratch. Was Translator++ that bad back then? Was this feature missing? Were WolfRPG script's if-else and loop block changes too difficult to differentiate? I have no clue.

Wonder if just exporting the base script to git would properly highlight differences. I don't really care about the changes in my script, more just whatever Inusuku does so I know where I need to look.
Then the answer is: yes, it will. but in my long years in the industry I didn't have to do this even once because defaults are satisfactionary.

The fact that he does actually have the knowledge and awareness yet the script is still as it is suggests a whole different sort of concern...
Oh, so many times I've read about his mysterious translation notes where the true and final translation dwells. Random prostitution trivia aside, it all doesn't matter if "it's too difficult to localize"/"too political for western audience" lines will be, in the end, cut off and replaced. I'm here for the "product" and someone's "arcane" knowledge doesn't improve said product at all.

Imouto_prpr

May 5, 2024
Oh I hope it will be the case this time too; I remember each time Shade was updating he was translating everything from scratch. Was Translator++ that bad back then? Was this feature missing? Were WolfRPG script's if-else and loop block changes too difficult to differentiate? I have no clue.
It has received a lot of updates over time; when I started the free version didn't even support Wolf v3's UTF-8 text, and that wasn't even that long ago (I forked out the $1 a month, oh the agony). Worst case I can copy/paste from an old project like I'm doing now, which should only get better once it's fully rebased on the actual Japanese version. I frequently put the Japanese text in the same box as where I'm working on it, which has turned out to be very handy for lining everything up while porting.
I'm here for the "product" and someone's "arcane" knowledge doesn't improve said product at all.
Indeed. This is what I find most frustrating about a lot of official localizations. I can entirely believe that they have the ability to do a faithful translation (usually), but then choose to muck it up because of other concerns. But what do I know? I've never had to actually try and make a profit off this stuff.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes