VN Ren'Py In for a Penny [v0.53] [Moist Sponge Productions]

3.50 star(s) 58 Votes

44Tom

Oct 19, 2018
Why the fuck that clown Roy was brought into the game. The so-called completely useless renders without which everything will definitely get along better. Hopefully this bad joke was only in this version and won’t see it again in other upcoming updates.
I thought exactly the same thing when I saw how many renders were wasted on this Roy character. I feel that it did nothing to progress the story.

MoistSponge

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2020
Hello.
I have been reading through your comments. I can't do it often but today I had some time.
I am very happy that you give our V.N. a chance and that you take the time to write your critiques, good and bad.
Firstly Please allow me to defend Roy. i understand that many might not like his presence, however I need him and his soon to be seen girlfriend Ellen for future story reasons, plus I thought he was hilarious, just my sense of humour, I am afraid. You will be seeing a little more of him in, not the next, but the update after. I really hope you warm to him.
On another front I know I added maybe a few more characters than I should have, leaving a gap of characters not appearing in many updates.
Two of my characters aren't appearing due to their files becoming corrupted and I am having difficulty rebuilding them. Hopefully i will get that sorted soon.
To fix this I plan to have more scenes with multiple characters in from now on. So long as my PC can render them all in. Also I have been mulling over an idea to have future scenes appear without the MC in them, seeing form another characters point of view. I am hesitant on this front however due to not want to make the MC a secondary character in his own tale. I would welcome thoughts on this.
The name bugs and missing pics and is my dev partners responsibility, I will have words and give my apologies for him on that front.
However I must admit that naming Alison Nicole on day 9 is completely my fault. i have all their bios set out with names and character traits and such and I screwed up the name for which characters appeared in that scene somehow. This has been fixed...I am so sorry for this massive cock up on my end.
Please keep the critiques coming

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Hey MoistSponge. Thanks for all the status updates. I really love In For A Penny. This VN is great fun to play. I love all the humor in it. Great concept of Sister Anne fighting for the MC with the entire convent. And how ever did you come up with the idea of Alice, with her constant spoken internal monologue, reminiscent of hard-boiled detective movies? It is hilarious, I love it.

Most of your characters are much more than skin deep, so I encourage you to keep developing their depths of personality. In For a Penny is going great, so wonderful job.

MoistSponge

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2020
Hey MoistSponge. Thanks for all the status updates. I really love In For A Penny. This VN is great fun to play. I love all the humor in it. Great concept of Sister Anne fighting for the MC with the entire convent. And how ever did you come up with the idea of Alice, with her constant spoken internal monologue, reminiscent of hard-boiled detective movies? It is hilarious, I love it.

Most of your characters are much more than skin deep, so I encourage you to keep developing their depths of personality. In For a Penny is going great, so wonderful job.
I am a huge fan of old noir movies. Sam Spade and Phillip Marlow, So Alice was born. i am planning on doing a side story for an update where the MC is dragged into solving a murder mystery with Alice. that will lead to some Mokori fun. My only problem is...how to murder someone in a place where no one can be murdered. Tricky!
I am glad you are enjoying the story and characters.

stormtiger

Mar 22, 2020
Also I have been mulling over an idea to have future scenes appear without the MC in them, seeing form another characters point of view. I am hesitant on this front however due to not want to make the MC a secondary character in his own tale. I would welcome thoughts on this.
I think it would be a great idea. To avoid the chance of making the MC a secondary character just don't do it often or for several scenes back to back. Another way to achieve this would have Red and Blue give the MC a small device he can carry around or a TV in his house that he can use to check on the girls and see what they are up to.

On a side note, I like the Mental Notes section where you release their Bios after sex with them. I would like to see an improvement on knowing which ones you have bios for. The simplest way would be to add a symbol to the pics in the chart of the ones you have screwed or grey out those the have not been screwed yet. Just an idea.

44Tom

Oct 19, 2018
Firstly Please allow me to defend Roy. i understand that many might not like his presence, however I need him and his soon to be seen girlfriend Ellen for future story reasons, plus I thought he was hilarious, just my sense of humour, I am afraid. You will be seeing a little more of him in, not the next, but the update after. I really hope you warm to him.
MoistSponge - Thank you for the explanation of the presence of Roy. I see that he, and girlfriend are needed for the future flow of the game. The humour is appreciated. Keep up with the updating of the game.

MGUltimate

Dec 12, 2021
MoistSponge - Thank you for the explanation of the presence of Roy. I see that he, and girlfriend are needed for the future flow of the game. The humour is appreciated. Keep up with the updating of the game.
I find him annoying AF. Am I right his "partner" will still have a pussy and fuck MC?

Reactions: Cryptist

latex lvr

May 3, 2019
On another front I know I added maybe a few more characters than I should have, leaving a gap of characters not appearing in many updates.
I personally loved Roy. Though he bought in a new lease of comedy to the game especially with jane and her tray in the bar. When he revealed that he had no cock well that had me spewing my tea on my screen from laughing, I guess we have similar sense of humour.

Also I have been mulling over an idea to have future scenes appear without the MC in them, seeing form another characters point of view. I am hesitant on this front however due to not want to make the MC a secondary character in his own tale. I would welcome thoughts on this.
There is possibly one way you could do this. Where you have MMC update that is named V23, V24 Ect. If its an update where you are pursuing a part from another perspective then it would be update V23a, V24b ect ect. Like how another dev does on here with his game WMW where from the hubby's point of view its v1, v2, v3 ect and from wifes point its v1a,v2a, v3a ect.
Just one way to possibly do it

Aioto

Oct 31, 2018
I find him annoying AF. Am I right his "partner" will still have a pussy and fuck MC?
I don't think his "partner" will have a pussy, but MC could still have fun with her with his new tantric powers of the mind sex. If he can make Blue feel his dick with what is essentially a borrowed body, he can possibly give Ellen a massage that will make a woman without a pussy cum.

Acayas

Feb 28, 2018
[...] My only problem is...how to murder someone in a place where no one can be murdered. Tricky!
I am glad you are enjoying the story and characters.
You could murder Roy or his companion. (I think some would like that.) Since they aren't dome creations that should be possible. And because they are described as having indestructable bodies you can use the female weapon of choice, poison. Or suffocate them like Nyx mentioned.

Another way would be that the dome creates a murder victim for Alice like it creates stuff for the MC.

Or they stumble over the remains of the first male attempt from Red and Blue.

Reactions: ZioGano

MoistSponge

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2020
I don't think his "partner" will have a pussy, but MC could still have fun with her with his new tantric powers of the mind sex. If he can make Blue feel his dick with what is essentially a borrowed body, he can possibly give Ellen a massage that will make a woman without a pussy cum.
Indeed. It wouldn't make sense for the males to have no reproduction system but the females do. She will have a mouth though, and as you say MC mysterious tantric powers may come into it. i have a joke prepared for that road...if you have gleamed a little of my sense of humour you may be able to guess.
You could murder Roy or his companion. (I think some would like that.) Since they aren't dome creations that should be possible. And because they are described as having indestructable bodies you can use the female weapon of choice, poison. Or suffocate them like Nyx mentioned.

Another way would be that the dome creates a murder victim for Alice like it creates stuff for the MC.

Or they stumble over the remains of the first male attempt from Red and Blue.
I feel for poor old Roy, came to be the star and is hated by all the viewers already.
I like some of your ideas. Am giving it some major thought as I am looking forward to writing this idea.

Also something I didn't put in my original post. For those who may have had a problem with saves. We are implementing, in the next update, a system where you will be able to start the VN at the beginning of any of the current nine days.
You will just have to input the MC name and away you go.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Why the hate for Roy? Is it just because some players can't stand to see any other male characters in their VNs? Roy isn't competing with the MC, so I don't see the issue. Plue his character is quite funny, and his personality fits in with the over the top humor of this VN. I am quite looking forward to what Moist Sponge has in store for Roy next time.

MGUltimate

Dec 12, 2021
Why the hate for Roy? Is it just because some players can't stand to see any other male characters in their VNs? Roy isn't competing with the MC, so I don't see the issue. Plue his character is quite funny, and his personality fits in with the over the top humor of this VN. I am quite looking forward to what Moist Sponge has in store for Roy next time.
He's annoying and takes away from the time banging the women. Also he's silly.

Skode

Mar 9, 2020
Issue is the dev just keeps throwing in a mix match of completely unnrelated (or appears to be the case) ideas in regularly and often. Basic premise was your tossed into a town and you have to bang everyone and thus your introduced to a plethora of barely developed girls which whom weve no connection and barely any threads of story to invest in them.

At the start there appeared to be a basic plan in place with a surrogate family (but theyve barely featured since) with antagonist family related to said surrogate family. You were introduced to many more including the church nuns (most have barely been developed or featured), the army family (who despite even fucking one of them have not featured since) and the cheerleader family who even said theyve got a show lined up for you (which weve STILL not seen) and the asian doctor family who have still to be developed.

It felt IMO maybe the dev was adding all the pieces at once and would work up from there... then out of nowhere we got sidetracked into a cult story with a wayward god seeking to escape which of course sidelined 90% of all these previously introduced cast. It is kinda resolved now yet weve yet to even see how the girl we freed from possession has been doing since in any of the subsequent updates or indeed most of her family. Meanwhile we get the MCs family introduced (like almost all females from it) and theyre outside of the mom never since (why add them then?) before pivoting to adding in the ex gf for another concurrent arc and needer or screentime to then add in ROY the very next update. Barely any one can find cohesion in this, no one knows where the story is going, no one knows or are invested in most of the cast (so sex offers little pay off with no build up) and adding in yet another character who wont even add in a sex scene for a feeble fap is overkill to a killed premise.

The story is a rudderless and most want it back on track. The memory section has been neglected for almost every update so is not only outdated but still broken and yet its supposed to be our main tool to keep track of a cacophony of names as the plot sure as hell aint doing that. I liked this game so much i was a backer for a while, now? I barely can justify to myself why i even play it. Roy got more development in a single update than the overwhelming majority of the characters who are supposed to be love interests and whilst we can at least thank him for leading up to a sex scene it was an unanimated one. I think people are at odds with the game and its direction more so than the character in himself.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I think people are at odds with the game and its direction more so than the character in himself.
That makes sense, actually. I agree that I wish Moist concentrated on the initial batch of characters, rather than adding a bunch of new ones, when the original group hasn't been develped yet. I didn't see the point of the reveal of the MC's family members, and the ex girlfriend is a waste of development time. Roy, I don't mind at all, but I do agree with you that I wish the game would go back to the original cast of 30 or so characters. I think the characters that were introduced in the first 3 updates or so, are the most interesting.

MoistSponge

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2020
Issue is the dev just keeps throwing in a mix match of completely unnrelated (or appears to be the case) ideas in regularly and often. Basic premise was your tossed into a town and you have to bang everyone and thus your introduced to a plethora of barely developed girls which whom weve no connection and barely any threads of story to invest in them.

At the start there appeared to be a basic plan in place with a surrogate family (but theyve barely featured since) with antagonist family related to said surrogate family. You were introduced to many more including the church nuns (most have barely been developed or featured), the army family (who despite even fucking one of them have not featured since) and the cheerleader family who even said theyve got a show lined up for you (which weve STILL not seen) and the asian doctor family who have still to be developed.

It felt IMO maybe the dev was adding all the pieces at once and would work up from there... then out of nowhere we got sidetracked into a cult story with a wayward god seeking to escape which of course sidelined 90% of all these previously introduced cast. It is kinda resolved now yet weve yet to even see how the girl we freed from possession has been doing since in any of the subsequent updates or indeed most of her family. Meanwhile we get the MCs family introduced (like almost all females from it) and theyre outside of the mom never since (why add them then?) before pivoting to adding in the ex gf for another concurrent arc and needer or screentime to then add in ROY the very next update. Barely any one can find cohesion in this, no one knows where the story is going, no one knows or are invested in most of the cast (so sex offers little pay off with no build up) and adding in yet another character who wont even add in a sex scene for a feeble fap is overkill to a killed premise.

The story is a rudderless and most want it back on track. The memory section has been neglected for almost every update so is not only outdated but still broken and yet its supposed to be our main tool to keep track of a cacophony of names as the plot sure as hell aint doing that. I liked this game so much i was a backer for a while, now? I barely can justify to myself why i even play it. Roy got more development in a single update than the overwhelming majority of the characters who are supposed to be love interests and whilst we can at least thank him for leading up to a sex scene it was an unanimated one. I think people are at odds with the game and its direction more so than the character in himself.
Firstly let me say, I understand your frustration.
I have been all over the place with characters, adding them in for later down the line. That may have been a mistake but I didn't want to add them just before they were needed and then it felt forced or contrived. I wanted the player to meet them get used to them before the story called for them. The characters I need are done for the moment. So no new introductions for a while now...except for one...but that will be all and she is purely story based and will only be around a short while.
I want the atmosphere to feel like the women are getting on with their lives and the MC pops into their lives as and when, instead of having it feel like they are on the side lines waiting for him to show up. This may have let me be comfortable not adding someone in for a while, thinking oh they are fine doing what they are doing.
I think you are right, i do need to be more careful and plan some sort of system to bring people in and out regularly and comfortably
The cheerleader event has caused me no end of problems. Similarly a large scale nun event I had planned. Every time I have multiple characters in a single scene my program crashes. So I still want to do them but will get to them when I can.
The Doctor family is the ones I have had several characters saves file corrupt on me so that's why I have shirked away from them instead of solving the problem. I ill try to get that sorted so they can get a comeback.
The army family I have a story planned soon.
Sally and her family and the results of Nyx's shenanigans are coming in the next update.
that is all I can say, I do get why it feels all over the place with the new characters, but i ask that you bear with me and give it a little more time. I think you will enjoy what is coming up.
I will get on the memory tool problems, my dev partner does all the coding sections of the VN, so will get him to sort it.

3.50 star(s) 58 Votes