Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
damnedfrog

Oh, sorry for the absence of answers. Yes, as you have already guessed I am from Ukraine, and on March 9 again there was a rocket attack on the power system, so I was without power and out of touch for 2 days. Only now they seem to have been able to partially restore it.

According to your comments.

1. First of all, thank you for such an extensive review.

2. There are two scenes with Iolanta, not one. (1.2) For more details, see here:

1.3 has +1 scene with her. The pure girl-girl scenes are probably all in this chapter so far. After all, in the Inner Empire such scenes are not the main course, but a dessert. But a new character is already planned for the next chapter, who, unlike Iolanta, is really a lesbian. But not openly, of course, remembering how this is treated in this society.

3. Murella may come out of her "shell." Or she may not. Depends on you. But this is future content.

4. Stats at 0 is not a mistake or a flaw in the system - it's designed that way. If the players want to leave some ability at 0, to basically deprive themselves of choice. Some people like to play a more submissive character (Willpower 0), and someone maybe wants to not be able to throw off a rapist by force (Vigor 0), etc.

5. Yes, there's a typo with the name. I'll fix it now, thank you.

Actually, the most common mistake I've made is precisely a typo. Even in 1.3 they got a lot and, as always, I notice them after the update release. Today I will double-check again, and tomorrow on the patreon fixes. Well, +1 point on waiting for the public version, I guess.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Ah, yes. Just in case, to my Patrons here. If there isn't a leak by March 22, and if I, under the circumstances from the comment above, suddenly be offline and don't post 1.3 here on March 22, then please post the update here in the thread. You have my blessing to do so.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
damnedfrog

Oh, sorry for the absence of answers. Yes, as you have already guessed I am from Ukraine, and on March 9 again there was a rocket attack on the power system, so I was without power and out of touch for 2 days. Only now they seem to have been able to partially restore it.

According to your comments.

1. First of all, thank you for such an extensive review.

2. There are two scenes with Iolanta, not one. (1.2) For more details, see here:

1.3 has +1 scene with her. The pure girl-girl scenes are probably all in this chapter so far. After all, in the Inner Empire such scenes are not the main course, but a dessert. But a new character is already planned for the next chapter, who, unlike Iolanta, is really a lesbian. But not openly, of course, remembering how this is treated in this society.

3. Murella may come out of her "shell." Or she may not. Depends on you. But this is future content.

4. Stats at 0 is not a mistake or a flaw in the system - it's designed that way. If the players want to leave some ability at 0, to basically deprive themselves of choice. Some people like to play a more submissive character (Willpower 0), and someone maybe wants to not be able to throw off a rapist by force (Vigor 0), etc.

5. Yes, there's a typo with the name. I'll fix it now, thank you.

Actually, the most common mistake I've made is precisely a typo. Even in 1.3 they got a lot and, as always, I notice them after the update release. Today I will double-check again, and tomorrow on the patreon fixes. Well, +1 point on waiting for the public version, I guess.
Don't be sorry for the delay in your answers.
You are in the middle of a war! When lot of us, including me, have a comfy and secure life.
In fact, it's admirable that you can answer to us, given your situation. And I know there was a severe attack from Russian missiles against electric plants 2 days ago.

2. For the second scene with Iolanta, I was to confident and immediately wear the costume damn it! :).
I know from what you have previously written that lesbianism isn't accepted in this world.
So I understand there won't be so much lesbian girls, it's make sens according to your lore.
I know that by avoiding relation with male when possible I will lot of sex scenes, and I'm totally OK with that. I just hope I won't miss main parts of the story.

3. I'm glad to learn that in the future, we can help Murella to come out of her shell.
I love this character. I just want to take her under my wing, while trying to make her more self-confident.

4. I understand that 0 stat isn't a flaw and it's by design.
My message was just that some players may not realize it could be very disadvantageous. It's why I suggest a warning, so players who chose to have 0 in some abilities know they could face dire consequences.
And I understand that some people may like such a challenge.

5. No problem, typo are common.
I make a lot myself :)

Anyway, I hope that you, and your family and friends will be OK.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
4. I understand that 0 stat isn't a flaw and it's by design.
My message was just that some players may not realize it could be very disadvantageous. It's why I suggest a warning, so players who chose to have 0 in some abilities know they could face dire consequences.
And I understand that some people may like such a challenge.
I've seen similar suggestions before, and I don't turn them down, but... I am still considering whether or not it is necessary. I'll explain from my position - personally, I hate intrusive and, especially, non-passable tutorials. Like, "I've played who knows how many RPGs, stop explaining to me why I need stats, etc. I know that!" I'm sure many players think about the same and will skip all the warnings past their eyes anyway.

The main thing is that I left all the necessary information about the game mechanics in the game itself. And they can be found if the player is interested. Also, there is even a separate hint in the settings of where and what to look. That seems to me to be enough. But, as I said, maybe I'll insert some intrusive "warning" later. Don't sure, yet.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I know from what you have previously written that lesbianism isn't accepted in this world.
So I understand there won't be so much lesbian girls, it's make sens according to your lore.
I know that by avoiding relation with male when possible I will lot of sex scenes, and I'm totally OK with that. I just hope I won't miss main parts of the story.
I've been thinking... Perhaps this should be answered separately, since it may be of interest to many people.

No, you won't miss the main storyline by sticking to the policy of opening girls-only scenes. But in that case, you'll be like a vegetarian in a meat restaurant, with a specialty in... sausages. Lots and lots of meat sausages. Of course, um, pure feminine salads are served here, too, but as a side dish. I mean, you might leave a little hungry from a place like this.

Overall, in addition to boy-girl and girl-girl scenes, mixed scenes are also planned. Where, shall we say, the girls are busy with each other and the boys are busy with the girls at this moment. In such scenes, I plan to give the protagonist a first-person focus on what feelings she's focusing on at the moment (and descriptions accordingly). If you find such scenes appealing... well, stick with Iolanta. Over time, she will teach the protagonist a lot of naughty things. And of course, when the time comes, take up her offer. Okay, I've reached my limit of non-critical spoilers here.

Reactions: ScornedBeef

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I've been thinking... Perhaps this should be answered separately, since it may be of interest to many people.

No, you won't miss the main storyline by sticking to the policy of opening girls-only scenes. But in that case, you'll be like a vegetarian in a meat restaurant, with a specialty in... sausages. Lots and lots of meat sausages. Of course, um, pure feminine salads are served here, too, but as a side dish. I mean, you might leave a little hungry from a place like this.

Overall, in addition to boy-girl and girl-girl scenes, mixed scenes are also planned. Where, shall we say, the girls are busy with each other and the boys are busy with the girls at this moment. In such scenes, I plan to give the protagonist a first-person focus on what feelings she's focusing on at the moment (and descriptions accordingly). If you find such scenes appealing... well, stick with Iolanta. Over time, she will teach the protagonist a lot of naughty things. And of course, when the time comes, take up her offer. Okay, I've reached my limit of non-critical spoilers here.
As long as I don't miss anything in the main storyline, I don't care missing a lot of straight sexual content. I'm one of the few crazy one here, who comes to an adult games pirate site for the stories in the games and not the lewd part :).
Well, I like that part too, but if the story is good, sex scenes are more a collateral benefit that my main interest. Heck, I even like game like Summer's Gone or Hillside where you play a male protagonist, with no lesbian content, and no or very few sex scenes. But I was hooked by their stories.
It's the same with your game. I enjoy the story so far. I choose the Survivor Origin, and I really want to retrieve my sister. And if possible, take revenge on our aggressors.
And like I wrote in my review, I really love the old-school RPG vibe your game has.

So, no problem to ignore all the main sausage dishes, I will stick to the few pure feminine salads ;).
In fact sometimes, I even take a bite in the main dish, to see where it lead, but rollback after if I don't like it (like with the fat man in the tavern).

As for mixed actions, I will certainly take a look.
Especially if I understand you well, and we can focus on the girl.
Anyway, my plan is to stick to Iolanta. I like her.
Even
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Defiant Explorer

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
By the way, you have gained a new patreon.

Murella, little traitress! :)
I don't know what are your plan with her.
But, I think it will be great to have a sort of big sister / little sister relationship with her.
I took the Survivor Origin, and I definitively see her taking the role of the little sister the MC tragically lost.
Selene could be like a confident/mentor/protector for her.
And could advice her, even on boys. But, if Cadonis dare to make any move on Murella, I swear to the Gods I chop is dick and balls and make him eat them! :)

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
And if possible, take revenge on our aggressors.
I won't say no, but as always this but... she doesn't even remember their faces (if you opened the scene with details and not the alternative). And the Republic has a lot of soldiers. And then there's the other layer... if you've been carefully collecting clues, you may have already guessed that many things are not as simple and not what they look.

By the way, you have gained a new patreon.
I saw, thank you. I even mentioned you in the updated text accompanying the fixes to 1.3 (that typo with the name in Chapter 1 has been corrected, among other things).

Murella, little traitress! :)
I don't know what are your plan with her.
But, I think it will be great to have a sort of big sister / little sister relationship with her.
I took the Survivor Origin, and I definitively see her taking the role of the little sister the MC tragically lost.
Selene could be like a confident/mentor/protector for her.
And could advice her, even on boys. But, if Cadonis dare to make any move on Murella, I swear to the Gods I chop is dick and balls and make him eat them! :)
I can't promise, but I might put something like that in the dialogue with her in 1.4. I can't promise because she'll have... other pressing issues at that moment. But I like this idea. Anyway, dialogue with her in 1.4 will definitely be. The protagonist has not personally spoken only to her at this point. This gap needs to be filled before events take... quick turnaround.

On the whole, both she and Yuturna are long shots. Not only and not so much in the context of lewd stuff, but in the context of the story. The quicks are Cadonis and Iolanta, and they have already begun to act... on both fronts.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I won't say no, but as always this but... she doesn't even remember their faces (if you opened the scene with details and not the alternative). And the Republic has a lot of soldiers. And then there's the other layer... if you've been carefully collecting clues, you may have already guessed that many things are not as simple and not what they look.
Yes I realize it's an almost impossible quest.

And also, it would a big plot linked to the Survivor Origin.
I still don't play the other Origin yet, so I don't know if each others could have plot like this.
But if it's the case, it's mean you will have 4 big different routes, which will be a lot of work.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I can't promise, but I might put something like that in the dialogue with her in 1.4. I can't promise because she'll have... other pressing issues at that moment. But I like this idea. Anyway, dialogue with her in 1.4 will definitely be. The protagonist has not personally spoken only to her at this point. This gap needs to be filled before events take... quick turnaround.
I understand if you can't fit such dialog in what you have planned, it was just a little suggestion.
I really like the few lines when she went collecting her earning.
I was just thinking it could be fun to have a little dialog about it a bit later.

Anyway, I can't wait to have more interactions with her.
She is a cute and endearing character.

On the whole, both she and Yuturna are long shots. Not only and not so much in the context of lewd stuff, but in the context of the story. The quicks are Cadonis and Iolanta, and they have already begun to act... on both fronts.
No problem if it takes time with her.
I don't have issue with a slow burn. I prefer that it's take time to build a relationship with a NPC than a rushed one which make no sense. And with an NPC like Murella, it's only make sense that you have to "work" a lot and that it takes time to open up her.
And I was not even thinking specially about lewd stuff.
Because, in the context of your lore, where lesbianism is a major sin, I wasn't even thinking of her as a potential love interest.
But, I won't complain if she is ;). Well, if like I suppose, she is considered as a very young adult, and not a child anymore (because loli and pedophilia are definitively not my thing).
And I understand if you can't confirm anything about what can of relation we can develop with her to don't spoil anything.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I still don't play the other Origin yet, so I don't know if each others could have plot like this.
But if it's the case, it's mean you will have 4 big different routes, which will be a lot of work.
Yes, each Origin has its own backstory, its own narrative divided by key memories. Globally it doesn't change the main story; it's four different girls... who are floating in the same stream of events. But (sometimes) completely changes some of the dialogue and adds unique events. Or, at the very least, adds unique lines strongly influenced by the origin personality (cheerful for Heiress, insecure and wary for Survivor, arrogant and elitist for Noble, rude for Vagrant).

Because, in the context of your lore, where lesbianism is a major sin, I wasn't even thinking of her as a potential love interest.
The society in which the story takes place is generally homophobic. This applies to gays as well, not just lesbians. This is largely due to the presence of the goddess of fertility, and the concepts of sex and procreation are linked in this culture, in connection with which barren same-sex relationships are perceived not only as a sin but as a crime (as in many ancient religious societies, breaking a taboo is equal to breaking the law).

The most zealous guardians of this taboo are, of course, the priests of Melea (the same goddess of fertility and sex). The priests of the other gods, well, they don't really watch out for it. There is also a strong influence of social status. What goes on behind the closed doors of nobles' estates... well, priests "don't notice" that. As for slaves and free citizens... Things are more difficult for them.

Well, if like I suppose, she is considered as a very young adult, and not a child anymore (because loli and pedophilia are definitively not my thing).
I developed a calendar system for this world back when I was just getting prepared to begin game development. The local calendar is different from Earth's (another time of the planet's rotation around the suns and on its axis, another length of day, etc.). But it didn't make it into the game. And that's why there is no exact mention of the protagonist's age in the game either. And she estimates the ages of the other characters as "a little older than me," "seems younger than me," etc.

This gives room to the player's imagination, and let them judge themselves if their imagination has drawn some non-adult. This has nothing to do with me as the author at all. If someone isn't sure... well, ask the fictional characters for ID to make sure they're exactly 18... by the Earth's calendar, which doesn't exist in the game world. Should work.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
The society in which the story takes place is generally homophobic. This applies to gays as well, not just lesbians. This is largely due to the presence of the goddess of fertility, and the concepts of sex and procreation are linked in this culture, in connection with which barren same-sex relationships are perceived not only as a sin but as a crime (as in many ancient religious societies, breaking a taboo is equal to breaking the law).

The most zealous guardians of this taboo are, of course, the priests of Melea (the same goddess of fertility and sex). The priests of the other gods, well, they don't really watch out for it. There is also a strong influence of social status. What goes on behind the closed doors of nobles' estates... well, priests "don't notice" that. As for slaves and free citizens... Things are more difficult for them.
I completely understand the setting of your world about homosexuality. I have always mentioned lesbianism because the MC is female, but I suspected that was the same thing for gay men.
And I'm not surprised that your social status has a strong influence of how you will be punished... or not. In our own world, the Church generally turned a blind eye to the transgressions of the powerful.
And I think that your lore make your world believable.

But it was for this reason that I didn't thought Murella could be a potential love interest.
Because in a such society, very few lesbians would come out of the closet. And even open their own mind to the fact they are gay.
In fact, lot of them will not even be aware that they love women, because they can't even imagine it's possible for a woman to love another one. So they will be unhappy all their lives without ever understanding why.
Of course, it's the same with gay men.

Anyway, if Murella is a potential LI, I won't complain ;).
And it's make sense she will be a long shot.
It will definitively not suit her to be a quick shot.

I developed a calendar system for this world back when I was just getting prepared to begin game development. The local calendar is different from Earth's (another time of the planet's rotation around the suns and on its axis, another length of day, etc.). But it didn't make it into the game. And that's why there is no exact mention of the protagonist's age in the game either. And she estimates the ages of the other characters as "a little older than me," "seems younger than me," etc.

This gives room to the player's imagination, and let them judge themselves if their imagination has drawn some non-adult. This has nothing to do with me as the author at all. If someone isn't sure... well, ask the fictional characters for ID to make sure they're exactly 18... by the Earth's calendar, which doesn't exist in the game world. Should work.
That also make sens in the setting of your world.
I assume Selene must be around 18-20 years old.
Because in the Vagrant Origin, it's said that Looney had stolen the daggers when they where 14-15 years old.
I think this happen a couple of years ago. So 18-20 years seems a good estimate.
About Murella age, when Selene meet her, she estimate Murella was a bit youger than herself. So around 16 years old.
In our world, she would be a teen a not an adult.
But in your world, I suppose that lot of girls of her age would be already married and with 1 or 2 kids...
So i see her like a young adult.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I found another little bug.
When you ask Yuturna about his father, when I chose the line "Rebel?", Selene says "Philosopher?". But Yuturna response is consistent with rebel.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
damnedfrog

You have a perfect sense of the many subtleties behind this or that decision of mine. Yes, I am indeed guided by the criterion of believability and not by a desire to advance any views (which, alas, has become the mainstream for modern culture, ahem, in many places). Going the old ways. In many senses.

Funny, but since deciding not to display the calendar, I myself imagine many of my characters in a specific age range without even thinking about their "exact" age. So yeah, I also think the protagonist is about ~18-21.

Thanks for the bug report and... dammit, I was so damn sure that I fixed it long before the release of 1.2. Seems like some variables are still doing the hell knows what in this place. Anyway, this is not a critical bug - it doesn't corrupt savings. The problem is only the wrong display only. As I suspect, because of some specific possible choices order before that. I'll check it out now.

UPD. Ha ha! Whew... It wasn't a bug. There was literally the word "Philosopher" in the "Rebel" passage. No variables engaged, it's just... typo. Already corrected it. In the next game version, it will be right.

Yeah, fear me, I'm the Master of Typos!

Last edited:

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
damnedfrog

You have a perfect sense of the many subtleties behind this or that decision of mine. Yes, I am indeed guided by the criterion of believability and not by a desire to advance any views (which, alas, has become the mainstream for modern culture, ahem, in many places). Going the old ways. In many senses.

Funny, but since deciding not to display the calendar, I myself imagine many of my characters in a specific age range without even thinking about their "exact" age. So yeah, I also think the protagonist is about ~18-21.

Thanks for the bug report and... dammit, I was so damn sure that I fixed it long before the release of 1.2. Seems like some variables are still doing the hell knows what in this place. Anyway, this is not a critical bug - it doesn't corrupt savings. The problem is only the wrong display only. As I suspect, because of some specific possible choices order before that. I'll check it out now.

UPD. Ha ha! Whew... It wasn't a bug. There was literally the word "Philosopher" in the "Rebel" passage. No variables engaged, it's just... typo. Already corrected it. In the next game version, it will be right.

Yeah, fear me, I'm the Master of Typos!
Don't be to hard on yourself.
Everyone makes mistakes, except those who do nothing...

I find another thing, sorry...
It's not a bug a or a mistake. But just something that catch my attention.
At the beginning, I decided to sneak in the farm in search of food, but finally resist to the temptation and don't eat the porridge.
But still, when leaving the farm, the choices implies that I eat it.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
It's not a bug a or a mistake. But just something that catch my attention.
At the beginning, I decided to sneak in the farm in search of food, but finally resist to the temptation and don't eat the porridge.
But still, when leaving the farm, the choices implies that I eat it.

1. It's not a mistake. That's the way it's supposed to be. Um... but it's hard to explain. I'll try this. Here's the code. I've bolded the part of the code responsible for whether the protagonist has stolen food or changed her mind. As you can see, there will be changes. And the answers are deliberately worded to match either outcome since this passage is essentially the end of this scenario.

2. Regarding the suggestion to go back to the farm. In short, it's possible, but it's too complicated and not worth it. The farm scene in general was my first scene and it turned out to be unnecessarily complicated in the context of the code. Here, for example, is the section where you only see one line, "Go to the farm." And here's a spread of variations "under the hood":

Add one more option there, to which to write a separate dialogue... while the basic variants allow you not to steal and give a chance (through a check of willpower) to change your mind... As I said above, it's not worth it. When it comes to possible choices for the player, it's best to keep a reasonable balance. Otherwise, it all gets out of hand very easily, because there are too many possible choices for any given event.

craftcrafter90

Jun 22, 2018
Love the game. Just throwing some motivation out there for people doing HTML games like this with lots of RPG choice.

Any plans for more graphics? (like a Degrees of Lewdity type sprite system that reflects character status and clothing)? Or keeping it mostly text for now?

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
4.60 star(s) 41 Votes