bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
I have finished my rerun of the game. Rerun, because I tried to load my old saves and I have not a clue of what decisions I had taken with each one, and I decided to start from scratch. I hope that a wise use of a notepad will avoid this kind of trouble in the future

And there are two things that are worrying me.

One it´s character inflation.

In all but one of my 4 runs I have finished with the stats in the 4-3 range. 2-3 "4s" and 3- 4 "3s". That´s really high. IRRR, there are only one time that the game request a 6, a couple times that request a 5 and may be half a dozen that request a 4.

Unless we have in the next updates a raise in the difficulty, my characters are really close to be able to choose every thing they want every time.

And also it´s really close to kill one of the core mechanics of the game. If you have a skill below the requested, you have the option to expend insight points to boost temporally your stat. This, when your stats are low, it´s a tough decision.
An insight point it´s worth 5 experience points, and if you have stat 1 or 2 you are going to get only 2 or 3 xp from this use.
But when you have a 3 on your stat, suddenly the decision stops being hard at all. If your stat it´s 4 you can expend your insight points to boost and get the same 5 xp. And if you reach 5+ on your stats, you will get more xp expending your insights getting boost that expending them to raise your stats.

It´s something that I believe that can be managed, but I hope that the designer keep this problem in mind when adjusting the future updates.

The other thing it´s that I believe that some scenes are unbalanced in it´s reward.

One of the main sources of insight points its having sex. That penalize some stile of roleplaying. By far, my weakest character it´s the Survivor, that attending at her history I decided that she want nothing to do with men. Well, my minmaxer soul screams at this, but it´s ok, I can live with that. But there are two scenes that I feel that are extremely overpowered. One it´s the scene with Lysander, at the very start. You get 3 insight points for banging him, plus an extra one if you rat him to his wife, if IRR. That´s a lot, more if you take in account that it´s at the very start of the game. And the second one it´s the scene with the giant hunter, at the end of the game. You get two insight and almost 15 points in Dex or Intrigue. And yes, may be can have hard repercussions because.."Twelve", but who knows...

Reactions: Defiant Explorer

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
One it´s character inflation.

In all but one of my 4 runs I have finished with the stats in the 4-3 range. 2-3 "4s" and 3- 4 "3s". That´s really high. IRRR, there are only one time that the game request a 6, a couple times that request a 5 and may be half a dozen that request a 4.

Unless we have in the next updates a raise in the difficulty, my characters are really close to be able to choose every thing they want every time.
I don't see a problem. At least not yet. Most of the checks in the game now and probably until the very end will be in the range of 1-5. Also, keep in mind that the amount of experience for levels 1-3 is quite low. The difficulty of the checks will not increase just because.

I use the following system to determine which check level to set:

• 1-5. Normal difficulty for a person of average ability. Where 1 is trivial, and 5 is difficult.
  • 6-10. Increased difficulty, where 6 is very difficult, and 10 is at the limit of human ability, but still (barely) possible.

Thus, level 10 checks will be very rare in the game and so far there have been none at all.

As an example, let's remember the situation in the game where there is a difference between dragging a man's body in the water (Vigor 3) and up a hill on land (Vigor 5). In the first case, a man's life depends on the check, while in the second case, it's more of a roleplay with a reward in the form of Insight point. The difficulty is not set from what's at stake, but from the difficulty of the challenge itself.

And who knows, you may encounter a situation where you will need to pass not one, but a series of different 5+ checks, because the task will be really difficult. And such a situation may be closer than you think.

The other thing it´s that I believe that some scenes are unbalanced in it´s reward.

One of the main sources of insight points its having sex. That penalize some stile of roleplaying.
What's funny is that you can get more Insight points in non-sex scenes than in sex scenes, and it's been that way since the first chapter. Insight for orgasm in consensual sex is more a reflection of the character's overall sexual satisfaction and thus better focus on a task at hand, rather than someone who is constantly distracted by suppressing their urges.

P.S. Baldur's Gate 3.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
You get 3 insight points for banging him, plus an extra one if you rat him to his wife, if IRR. That´s a lot, more if you take in account that it´s at the very start of the game. And the second one it´s the scene with the giant hunter, at the end of the game. You get two insight and almost 15 points in Dex or Intrigue
Counterpoint: 3 Insight is 15 xp. 2 Insight is 10 xp. Which really isn't all that much when you reach skill level of 3+ and it takes 50 points for a single level up.

(even at the start of the game 3 Insight won't buy you much, not to mention you're probably better off saving that to pass harder trials, which at this point of the game are plenty)

And yes, may be can have hard repercussions because.."Twelve", but who knows...
There's roughly 50-55% chance it'll end up in pregnancy, if your Selene wasn't taking precautions. ~25% if she did.

Last edited:
Reactions: @Lonely Wolf

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
The statistics are technically the same for everyone.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Chat's relatively high pregnancy chance stems from the fact he ejaculates many many times. :whistle:
I don't know how to feel about that. On the one hand, I can in no way forbid people to look into the code and tell others what is there. On the other hand, it's like telling the audience of magicians what their tricks consist of right during their performance.

Note to self. Do not leave variables responsible for story aspects until they appear in the game. Otherwise, virtual Robin Hoods may reveal them too much sooner than they should.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: @Lonely Wolf

@Lonely Wolf

Mar 19, 2024
The statistics are technically the same for everyone.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Chat's relatively high pregnancy chance stems from the fact he ejaculates many many times. :whistle:
Well; that all seems interesting to me, ffive!+! I must say that I find your last two answers very precise regarding the percentages of the game's mechanisms/variables. As I uniquely play with the mobile version, and that my informatics skills remain limited, I was simply wondering how can you've managed to obtain this famous “hidden” informations?&? [^-:unsure:-^]

4.60 star(s) 43 Votes