Khan

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2017
There are, very often, games that show great promise... only to get stuck in development hell. Nine times out of ten, it's the developers own actions that leads to this. It is the curse of developers to let their grand ideas about a project, over take the project itself. It goes from completing the game in a timely fashion, to "well this new idea is cool... let's add that" or "I have a better idea how we could tell the story, let's start over." To say that IW is stuck in development hell, is an understatement. The thread about the game started six years ago. Not six weeks, nor six months. Six full years. In that same time even a solo indie developer could have released a full finished product. Hell, it took four years for the solo developer of Stardew Valley to complete the game and publish it on multiple platforms. Yet with IW, we've got updates being trickled out every so often, and those updates, such that they are, really don't add much of anything to the game. When pressed on this issue, the usual response being "well there aren't enough patreons..." or something similar.

That's just an excuse, and a bad one at that.

There are other developers in this sphere (adult games) who have had far less numbers of patreons and supporters, who have released fully complete projects in the time that IW has taken to get to this point. A point I might add, barely qualifies as an alpha project. So it is very understandable for people to accuse the game of being a scam, or a cash grab, or to suggest the development team are just lazy.

To reiterate: We are SIX YEARS into development. That's just five years less than Star Citizen, with about as much to show for it. Which is to say, nothing major.
Nothing new cant say, just read this post
https://f95zone.to/threads/innocent-witches-v0-9-beta-sad-crab.330/post-8178925

Reactions: HentaiGamerN00b
Apr 10, 2020
I have commented on the slow progress before, especially with respect to the mains. BUT...

The last two updates have been solid imo.
The latest update is not even due yet. Let's see what it is like.
The new plot and writing are better. Yes, there are transition headaches, but we are mostly through that.
The lead developer is taking time to engage with this community. That is a good thing. Let's not insult him.

Fider55555

Jan 16, 2019
I'v started playing this game in its early stages, and now its page 664 of comments i'v watched over the years, i post reply extremly rare, but its just annoying how some of you keep assulting the dev, the game from where it started to where we are grew beautiful, H-Scenes are plenty now (except Hermione witch i will keep waiting cuz waifu :p ) the gameplay is lovly, the writtings(text) are marvelous, so yes, it is a very good game. True 6 years is preety long, release dates not respected, so what, you don't like the waiting, change the game. Yes, they have good $ on Patreon, but Patreon is voluntary, you choose to tip them. Be respectful that they keep doing the great game and enjoi it while it lasts, because after it will say Final Version, this whole jorney will be over, like a good netflix series it will end and thats that, instead encourage the dev, so that they will do this game with more pleasure instead of stress. Final words, be PATIENCE as i was and nice work dev. (This is just my opinion, so take it or leave it) *smilei face*
P.S.: Sorry if my engish is bad, good day everyone.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
I'v started playing this game in its early stages, and now its page 664 of comments i'v watched over the years, i post reply extremly rare, but its just annoying how some of you keep assulting the dev, the game from where it started to where we are grew beautiful, H-Scenes are plenty now (except Hermione witch i will keep waiting cuz waifu :p ) the gameplay is lovly, the writtings(text) are marvelous, so yes, it is a very good game. True 6 years is preety long, release dates not respected, so what, you don't like the waiting, change the game. Yes, they have good $ on Patreon, but Patreon is voluntary, you choose to tip them. Be respectful that they keep doing the great game and enjoi it while it lasts, because after it will say Final Version, this whole jorney will be over, like a good netflix series it will end and thats that, instead encourage the dev, so that they will do this game with more pleasure instead of stress. Final words, be PATIENCE as i was and nice work dev. (This is just my opinion, so take it or leave it) *smilei face*
Typo aside, lol

kitsunedawn

Aug 17, 2017

Allow me to explain my position: I am a professional developer myself. I currently work for an indie developer (non H game). We don't have a Patreon, we don't get paid. There are also three of us in total. In less than six months, we've released four times as much content as this developer has. This game, regardless of what you may think about the developer, is by its definition, stuck in development hell.

Here's the definition of "Development Hell": Development hell, development purgatory, and development limbo are media and software industry jargon for a project, concept, or idea that remains in development for an especially long time, often moving between different crews, scripts, game engines, or studios before it progresses to production, if it ever does. Projects in development hell generally have very ambitious goals, which may or may not be underestimated in the design phase, and are delayed in an attempt to meet those goals in a high degree.

Here's a link of games that went through development hell:

I am not looking at this from the perspective of a player. I'm looking at the issues the game has due to the developer's behavior to this point.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Allow me to explain my position: I am a professional developer myself. I currently work for an indie developer (non H game). We don't have a Patreon, we don't get paid. There are also three of us in total. In less than six months, we've released four times as much content as this developer has. This game, regardless of what you may think about the developer, is by its definition, stuck in development hell.

Here's the definition of "Development Hell": Development hell, development purgatory, and development limbo are media and software industry jargon for a project, concept, or idea that remains in development for an especially long time, often moving between different crews, scripts, game engines, or studios before it progresses to production, if it ever does. Projects in development hell generally have very ambitious goals, which may or may not be underestimated in the design phase, and are delayed in an attempt to meet those goals in a high degree.

I am not looking at this from the perspective of a player. I'm looking at the issues the game has due to the developer's behavior to this point.
Pics or it didn't happen

poodles

Aug 7, 2017
anyone have the most recent update for Mac? the one on the main page closes out saying it's for a test version.

Scove

Mar 20, 2020

They missed one in that list. Falcon 4 was a horrible failure. They waited so long, the operating system changed twice and they had to start over each time.

kitsunedawn

Aug 17, 2017
They missed one in that list. Falcon 4 was a horrible failure. They waited so long, the operating system changed twice and they had to start over each time.
Development hell generally happens if a game takes more than 3 or 4 years for production. I don't know off hand how long Fallout 4 took.

Scove

Mar 20, 2020
Development hell generally happens if a game takes more than 3 or 4 years for production. I don't know off hand how long Fallout 4 took.
No Falcon 4. Falcon was a game based around the F16 Falcon. Falcon 3 was great. Falcon 4 took over 10 years to complete while the OS for a computer went from DOS to Windows 3.1 and finally Windows ME.

KimMelo

Oct 10, 2018
I've played this game 4 years ago, when i finally remembered of it, it still are in development with almost 0 h-scenes.
I'will wait 4 more yeas then try to comeback to see if something has changed lol

Reactions: Hent_M

Vyze009

Aug 5, 2022
Ok so i am confused playing android, whats this new old plot new thing? Seems Sex Scenes are missable? Like even on the walktrough says to click on pensive in tue prologue after talking to minerva but that would skip her scene (good thing i clicked on her lol) then i have this dialog with Xandria that can get to kiss but nothing else seems to happen, man i love the Art and HP theme but i am confused as hell

beldr

Aug 8, 2017
Ok so i am confused playing android, whats this new old plot new thing? Seems Sex Scenes are missable? Like even on the walktrough says to click on pensive in tue prologue after talking to minerva but that would skip her scene (good thing i clicked on her lol) then i have this dialog with Xandria that can get to kiss but nothing else seems to happen, man i love the Art and HP theme but i am confused as hell
New plot is that they hired a new writer and are redoing old things

beldr

Aug 8, 2017
So apparently four elements trainer was in development hell from that definition. Or Undertale also.
Turns out if you want to have good writing and/or good art it takes time.
For example the first Harry Potter novel took 6 years to write.

kitsunedawn

Aug 17, 2017
So apparently four elements trainer was in development hell from that definition. Or Undertale also.
Turns out if you want to have good writing and/or good art it takes time.
For example the first Harry Potter novel took 6 years to write.

Development hell does not always mean the thing being produced won't ever be completed. (That's something entirely different called "Vapor Ware") Rather that it is taking far longer than what the average time to completion for a similar product should take. A good example of this, would be Star Citizen... which is pushing 10 years of development with no real progress on many of, if not most of the promised features or promised starships. Another great example is the game "Duke Nukem Forever." That game was stuck in a development hell that not only saw the company producing it completely shutting down and getting bought, but also took 14 years to finally produce. When it did finally release, unfortunately, it was garbage.

Whatever the case, "Development hell" simply means something is taking, on average, longer than it should take under reasonable circumstances.

For an indie game of any genre, the average time to completion is at most two years. They need the game released in that time frame or they are going to make a loss due to changes in technology, player interest, and hype for the game. The longer it takes for production to complete, regardless of the reason, the more it counts against the indie game developer.

3.00 star(s) 321 Votes