Is it even supposed to take this long ?

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
I have a RTX 3070 laptop and my render settings are what I have tried to understand through trial and error right now I am not going to enable denoiser and a much grainy render is provided as the result. I can send my scene file and render settings ss if someone wants it but it talking more than 10 minutes to render a single scene (some times upto 90% only) is that even supposed to happen

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Yes. When I was rendering with a 3070 (desktop, not laptop), my renders usually took 30-45 minutes.

Reactions: 143 others

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Yes, it's very normal. Render times vary tremendously depending on your scene settings. Some of your renders could potentially take hours.
okay may be I was thinking too much , I saw people rendering an animated scene within 2-3 minutes so thought how is that even possible

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
okay may be I was thinking too much , I saw people rendering an animated scene within 2-3 minutes so thought how is that even possible
Perhaps 2-3 minutes per frame, with a highly optimized scene, lower quality (because you don't need as high quality for animations), and a more powerful GPU. As a comparison, my 3090 renders most scenes now at ~10-15 minutes and can get down to <5 minutes when highly optimized.

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Perhaps 2-3 minutes per frame, with a highly optimized scene, lower quality (because you don't need as high quality for animations), and a more powerful GPU. As a comparison, my 3090 renders most scenes now at ~10-15 minutes and can get down to <5 minutes when highly optimized.
how is that even possible also I have been waiting for a render with multiple(8) models to render more than an hour has passed it still at 60%

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
how is that even possible also I have been waiting for a render with multiple(8) models to render more than an hour has passed it still at 60%
If you're trying to render 8 characters at a time with a 3070, you're going to have a bad time. Try splitting up the number of characters in each render and splice the images together in post (requires understanding how to properly light the scene to do so).

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Your whole scene needs to fit in your GPU's RAM otherwise it starts to use the CPU. I assume the scene doesn't fit so its using your CPU which is a lot slower.

But in general rendering takes time. The more detailed a scene is, the more time it will take. A character on its own can take a couple mins if you optimize it, but when you add backgrounds, other characters it goes up quickly.

If somebody is rendering a whole animation in a couple mins they aren't using Iray to render (A raytrace renderer), but a real time renderer. Real time renderers are more like game renderers; they do not calculate everything but makes an estimation on how light bounces/shadows are etc. Result is less realistic but much faster to render. DAZ realtime renderer (think its called 3Dlight) is pretty bad though.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I've read some reports that switching from Iray to Filament (as long as you sort out the shaders which can be problematic) will allow *much* faster per-frame rendering, at the cost of loss of realism... but still better visual quality than 3Delight

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
So there is literally no way to make the renders fast without compromising much on the quality
its soo frustating to wait for half an hour for just one render

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Is there an alternative to Daz all together where I can import models from Daz but I can achieve better and faster results

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Is there an alternative to Daz all together where I can import models from Daz but I can achieve better and faster results
Better AND faster? No.
I'm not sure why you're hung up on 30 minutes, that's normal and everyone on here is doing the same thing. If you don't want to just sit around waiting, get Render Queue and queue up your renders for your downtime.

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Better AND faster? No.
I'm not sure why you're hung up on 30 minutes, that's normal and everyone on here is doing the same thing. If you don't want to just sit around waiting, get Render Queue and queue up your renders for your downtime.
Oh that sounds good thanks

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Better AND faster? No.
hey do you know how to install render queue 3 without using DIM

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
There is Blender with Eevee. Its a realtime renderer which is pretty good. You can get very realistic results with some effort and render time is a fraction of a raytrade renderer. But it requires you to learn a completely new program and Blender has a very steep learning curve.

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
There is Blender with Eevee. Its a realtime renderer which is pretty good. You can get very realistic results with some effort and render time is a fraction of a raytrade renderer. But it requires you to learn a completely new program and Blender has a very steep learning curve.
I think unreal can be good to let me go and try real quick

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Better AND faster? No.
its been more than 1.5 hour and only 19 percent :WutFace::WutFace:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Wow...
Here are some of my suggestions.
If these are figures that are present in both Gen3 and Gen8, why not use Gen3 for unimportant events. Render will go much quicker.
Or, render 4 alone and switch off anything else. Merge them later via your favorite graphical app.
There are several ways to do that.
If you add lots of figures with high sub-d, it will take longer to render. Plus if you closer to the models. The closer, the longer because of details.
Just my personal opinion though.
Some assets prolong the render process because of their textures. So you can try to lower the quality of them. Perhaps reduce reflectivity and glossiness.
Or take the ceiling off, maybe some walls that aren't visible.
Also, use a Iray Cam as i mostly do.

Reactions: Papa Ernie