Is it even supposed to take this long ?

Apr 18, 2021
Welllll.... Technically a XX90 with 24GB of VRAM can load 8 characters, an environment and a few clothing items. And while one can debate about if it rendered fast it sure was a lot faster then CPU rendering for days. The Christmas scene below has at least 7 characters loaded. The 7th's hair is just visible behind the redhead standing. (Yes I know lighting could/should be better. but reasons).
View attachment 2710296
Most I did was 10 though I did lower Sub-D levels used the same character multiple times but in different poses, same hair, same clothing items (in the hope assets would not have to be loaded several times) etc. this for the scene below:
View attachment 2710306
You'll find your render times exponentially faster if you render the characters separately and then photoshop them together. I haven't timed it but in my experience it turns one 2 hour render into two 20 minute renders etc.

cherrylizard

Jul 20, 2022
You'll find your render times exponentially faster if you render the characters separately and then photoshop them together. I haven't timed it but in my experience it turns one 2 hour render into two 20 minute renders etc.
Or just 6-10 second Unreal anti aliasing, Lumen render with 5x more realism

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Or just 6-10 second Unreal anti aliasing, Lumen render with 5x more realism
Plus the few hundred hours learning UE and C++, along with the nuances of transferring figures to UE and making them look decent again. You'd almost be better off learning Maya/Arnold.

UE's amazing, but it's not at all built for a solo dev. Not right now, at least.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
I wonder who has such money.
There must be some DAZ gods that made it big time. :) I am sure of it. I try to imagine how fast that would be with no optimization.
More so that people made their money elsewhere and are spending it on this hobby.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah but with a job and having to sleep every now and again I am not time limited by the render times. (I use a render queue). And render times are improved but with the overhead of closing and opening each scene separately it isn't as much of a difference as just waiting for it to render in one go.
I have composited images before I upgraded to the 3090 because of VRAM limitations. And will again if I want to have more then 7 or 8 characters in one image. It has it's own drawbacks though. Like in the first image below I had to render some characters multiple times to get the shadows right. In the second image I had to (badly) make the shadows by hand. Once I even had a mismatch in the lighting between characters.
Olivia 1_HD.png
Xmas-2-3_HD.png

Yeeep, and character billboarding to simulate crowds
Yeah they can be a good idea. Though the pre-made ones you can buy are never what I'm exactly looking for. I know you can make them yourselves but at that point I wonder if you're really saving time.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Plus the few hundred hours learning UE and C++
Rendering part of UE (or HDRP) are not really that difficult for alright-ish result imho (it can certainly be at some point, some people turn shader to 11). The C++/C# environement in other hand :KEK:, blueprints are fine until they are not (here my janky 3D sand box). That said I wish more people use UE sequencer for videos, feel like it's really underused for what people do here.

Reactions: MissFortune

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Yeeep, and character billboarding to simulate crowds
Billboards are pretty hit or miss. If your lighting conditions don't match the billboards, they stand out like a sore thumb, and you basically have to DOF them into oblivion to try to compensate.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece
Apr 18, 2021
Billboards are pretty hit or miss. If your lighting conditions don't match the billboards, they stand out like a sore thumb, and you basically have to DOF them into oblivion to try to compensate.
Yeah I've ran into that. Have to photoshop them anyways to get the lighting right. They are okay for like, distant background figures, but that's about it.

mordac

Oct 26, 2017
how is that even possible also I have been waiting for a render with multiple(8) models to render more than an hour has passed it still at 60%
Well he says it right in the video: 1 character, no environment, 100 max samples, and post denoiser.

If I do a normal scene, 1 character, detailed environment, lots of light, I can render this in 6 minutes 49 seconds:
5000 samples.png

With just 100 samples and the post denoiser I can render in just 22 seconds:
100 samples with denoiser.png

You can tell the second picture is much less detailed in certain areas (like the shine on the floor from the planter), but you probably wouldn't notice without comparing.

If I just disable the environment I can render in just 32 seconds with only 1500 samples because it reaches convergence:
no environment.png

If I limit it to 100 samples and the post denoiser I can render it in 12 seconds:
test100noenv.png

And a lot of that time was just initializing the render, I'm sure

BTW this is what it looks like without the denoiser:
test100noenvnodenoise.png

So yeah, comparing times between a render with the quality cranked down to one with probably the normal settings isn't going to be anywhere close, and with 8 figures you're probably running out of vram and it's falling back to CPU rendering, on a laptop :eek:.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I think i liked the idea for recycling G2 or G3 as fillers. That way you have some real figures in your scene and they don't take long to render.
The cardboards are ok but i honestly did not like them.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
how is that even possible also I have been waiting for a render with multiple(8) models to render more than an hour has passed it still at 60%
Ok, i did a cheap trick.
I used for a test scene 8 copies of Olympia7. I just like her.
Anyway, no clothing is used. The whole scene renders in 7 minutes if you use an Iray Cam.
I think it look pretty good. It's just quickly made.
Though i have to try to that with Gen8. I may run into problems with my RTX3060 though.
Anyway, you can do that and especially if you want to build a crowd.

Judge for yourself.

testg3x8.png

Gen8 will take about 11 minutes with my computer.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
It's important to remember the renderer gets exponentially slower with more resources used. For example rendering a single figure may take 10 minutes, but rendering two may take 30 minutes and rendering 8 may take 2 hours. So in total it's faster to do 8 renders of a single figure than it is to do a single render of 8 figures.
Of course as others have mentioned, if you do this overnight or while you're at work and have time to kill then no big deal. But if you're waiting then it matters.

This tool is very powerful because not only does it create an iray section plane node to cut up your scenes, it uses scripts to block the light bleed you typically get from doing that manually. I cannot recommend it enough. At the very lease use it to eliminate everything your camera doesn't see.

This is also a huge help

as is this

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
It's important to remember the renderer gets exponentially slower with more resources used. For example rendering a single figure may take 10 minutes, but rendering two may take 30 minutes and rendering 8 may take 2 hours. So in total it's faster to do 8 renders of a single figure than it is to do a single render of 8 figures.
Of course as others have mentioned, if you do this overnight or while you're at work and have time to kill then no big deal. But if you're waiting then it matters.

This tool is very powerful because not only does it create an iray section plane node to cut up your scenes, it uses scripts to block the light bleed you typically get from doing that manually. I cannot recommend it enough. At the very lease use it to eliminate everything your camera doesn't see.

This is also a huge help

as is this
WHy not just use this instead. It's free.

Apr 18, 2021
WHy not just use this instead. It's free.
I haven't checked that one out but will do so.
The advantage of Riversoft's is that it has scripts to either block or allow light to bleed past the planes. That's useful if your don't want interior light to come into a room. Also the planes automatically adjust to your camera's FOV. Not sure if the other one can do all that.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I haven't checked that one out but will do so.
The advantage of Riversoft's is that it has scripts to either block or allow light to bleed past the planes. That's useful if your don't want interior light to come into a room. Also the planes automatically adjust to your camera's FOV. Not sure if the other one can do all that.
That is definitely true.
With Iray cam you will have that problem. I usually overcome this but switching the tint to black. I wonder how this is done because Iray Planes cut everything so by logic light can flow then freely. A script then blocks it with a wall or something. Blasphemy i say!
Burn it all down....haha..

In any case, when mirrors are in the scene, you will have black mirror as there isn't anything in you backview. So may have to remove a plane or two.
It is, after all, an option. Though for the scenes i do, it works well.

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks everyone for such great advices I think I might have to note down a few of them :BootyTime:.
Heh I think I have some superpower for running into problems :illuminati:.
Screenshot 2023-06-25 133725.png Screenshot 2023-06-25 133712.png Screenshot 2023-06-25 133702.png
but as I am trying to animate this character whenever I try to shift the keyframe or just press play all the other objects like walls ceiling shift themselves immediately. I have changed the scene for this and its still happening

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks everyone for such great advices I think I might have to note down a few of them :BootyTime:.
Heh I think I have some superpower for running into problems :illuminati:.
View attachment 2723195 View attachment 2723196 View attachment 2723197
but as I am trying to animate this character whenever I try to shift the keyframe or just press play all the other objects like walls ceiling shift themselves immediately. I have changed the scene for this and its still happening
Yeah it is annoying when that happens. Save the scene with the total number of frames set to 1. close the scene and reopen it. then start animating.
(if you already animated the character you can save it separately (file>save as>scene subset) and reimport it when you fixed the background)

143 others

Dec 1, 2020
Yeah it is annoying when that happens. Save the scene with the total number of frames set to 1. close the scene and reopen it. then start animating.
(if you already animated the character you can save it separately (file>save as>scene subset) and reimport it when you fixed the background)
Is there someway to delete all the keys except the first one as when I delete all of them the environment shifts itself but on it wont animate or move stuff on its own can I keep the first frame so that every wall ceiling mirror chairs etc. is on there default location or do I have to change all of that manually

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Is there someway to delete all the keys except the first one as when I delete all of them the environment shifts itself but on it wont animate or move stuff on its own can I keep the first frame so that every wall ceiling mirror chairs etc. is on there default location or do I have to change all of that manually
Yes as I said:
1: Set the total number of frames to 1
1688143313680.png
2: save the scene
3: close the scene/Daz
4: Reopen the scene
5: set the total number of frames back to the number you need.

If you already animated your character:
1: go to file > Save As > Scene Subset
2: give it a name and click save
3: Only select the pieces you want to keep (e.g. the character)
4: Click accept.
5: Do the steps above
6: Delete the character that is now unanimated.
7: go to file > merge and select the separately saved character to load into the scene.