lagaard

Jan 25, 2018
Decided to give it a try, despite my initial wariness.
I will say, the art is rather fantastic and certainly the biggest highlight by far.

The combat is a mixed bag. I understand what it is going for, but it can also go on PRETTY long... and while the animated little hands are kind of nice, the combat is otherwise a bit... stale. You can only see someone throwing out rock, paper, or scissors so long before its kind of just boring, rather then interesting.

Still, the art? Fantastic. Not used to hearing, what I think is Korean? Doesn't sound bad though at all.

imercenary95

Jul 19, 2017
Pretty sure it's not AI, it seems the artist just leans towards the "Grimm" art style which i personally really like, but art is subjective amiriteboys.

A well-known example of the "Grimm" art style would be darkest dungeon, some people think the art for that game is great and others think it's ugly. Ofcourse this is a booba game they added a bit more color and shine to make it more coomer attractive.
Thank you for the explanation. Art is very subjective.

But thats an odd example to use. Maybe I'm just not deep into the art community enough, but in my experience the "Grimm" style usually refers to a style of writing, not an art style.

The Artist is Niur, and it is not AI generated. Niur has drawn in this style since well before AI art became a thing.
Fair enough, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to know that without being told. Is Niur a famous "Grimm" art community artist? Is there a "Grimm" art uploading/sharing/gallery website I should use to see Niur works?

Inept Monkey

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to know that without being told. Is Niur a famous "Grimm" art community artist? Is there a "Grimm" art uploading/sharing/gallery website I should use to see Niur works?
I'm sure if you search the name, some image board will pop up. Grimm is just what I've seen some people call it cause it doesn't really have an official name. I think real traditional artists would categorize it as Gothic art but if you look at Gothic it seems a little different than what Darkest Dungeon tries to be.

TankHunter678

Mar 14, 2018
Grimm is an aesthetic theme taken from the Brothers Grimm fairy tales (the original fairy tales that did not have the quite so happy endings Disney modified them to have) and the grimdark setting of stuff like warhammer 40k, warhammer fantasy, dark souls, etc. People would recognize Niur's art as being part of it because of the large amount of mod skins Niur has done for Darkest Dungeon which itself is a game that was done in a grimdark/cthulu mythos style.

That said the main reason why I recognized it was both from the Darkest Dungeon mods which is how I first found the artist and that there is no other artist I have encountered who uses that distinct style. Unlike the various artists who try to copy Sakimichan.

When it comes to AI art specifically it tries to go for a pseudo photo-realistic anime style that is both very distinct and very generic. An AI would have to be commanded to explicitly pull from Niur's artwork in order to generate their style.

You can find Niur on pixiv.

Reactions: BipolarMadness

imercenary95

Jul 19, 2017
I'm sure if you search the name, some image board will pop up. Grimm is just what I've seen some people call it cause it doesn't really have an official name. I think real traditional artists would categorize it as Gothic art but if you look at Gothic it seems a little different than what Darkest Dungeon tries to be.
Not sure why I would search for an artist I never heard of because of a project not featuring the artist's name, but you do you.

Grimm is an aesthetic theme taken from the Brothers Grimm fairy tales (the original fairy tales that did not have the quite so happy endings Disney modified them to have) and the grimdark setting of stuff like warhammer 40k, warhammer fantasy, dark souls, etc. People would recognize Niur's art as being part of it because of the large amount of mod skins Niur has done for Darkest Dungeon which itself is a game that was done in a grimdark/cthulu mythos style.

That said the main reason why I recognized it was both from the Darkest Dungeon mods which is how I first found the artist and that there is no other artist I have encountered who uses that distinct style. Unlike the various artists who try to copy Sakimichan.

When it comes to AI art specifically it tries to go for a pseudo photo-realistic anime style that is both very distinct and very generic. An AI would have to be commanded to explicitly pull from Niur's artwork in order to generate their style.

You can find Niur on pixiv.
The Brothers Grimm fairy tales aren't the original fairy tales. I understand what you're trying to say, but you clearly don't have a literature background.

Thats fair, but I never played Darkest Dungeon, let alone Darkest Dungeon mods. I don't think its unreasonable for me to be unfamiliar with fanmade Darkest Dungeon mods.

My understanding of the state of AI art is that its trying to scrape anything and everything in order to indistinguishable from any artist and be legally safe because "you can't prove I stole art from X artist"

I don't use pixiv to look up artists with English aliases.

• Angry
Reactions: Kingdomless

TankHunter678

Mar 14, 2018
The Brothers Grimm fairy tales aren't the original fairy tales. I understand what you're trying to say, but you clearly don't have a literature background.

Thats fair, but I never played Darkest Dungeon, let alone Darkest Dungeon mods. I don't think its unreasonable for me to be unfamiliar with fanmade Darkest Dungeon mods.

My understanding of the state of AI art is that its trying to scrape anything and everything in order to indistinguishable from any artist and be legally safe because "you can't prove I stole art from X artist"

I don't use pixiv to look up artists with English aliases.
AI Art scrapes a lot however it does not actually draw in accordance to people with very specific standout styles, unless specifically told to do so, but instead the very generic styles anyone can do. The more unique or distinct the style is the less it gets scraped by AI because in those cases you can prove which artist it was stolen from.

Hence why it does a lot of pseudo photo-realistic anime art. The anime style is very generic, photo-realism is also generic, so it winds up mixing the two of those very often because they are the most common. Try taking a look at the AI CG tag you will see plenty of examples.

Though yes, I admit I do not have a literature background, nor is it unreasonable for you to not know the artist. Especially if you never looked into Darkest Dungeon mods which make up like... 80-90% of their work.

And while the alias is in english, the artist themselves is Taiwanese.

Reactions: BipolarMadness

AnonBone

Jul 28, 2017
I accidently exited the game at the start of the prologue and it skipped it completely when relaunched the game.
The game doesn't have any way to reset progress and start over. Even deleting the game folder and unzipping again didn't help.
It completely ruined the experience for me since I haven't seen the begining of the story and there is no way to watch it now. :mad:

Wolf1114

May 7, 2017
I accidently exited the game at the start of the prologue and it skipped it completely when relaunched the game.
The game doesn't have any way to reset progress and start over. Even deleting the game folder and unzipping again didn't help.
It completely ruined the experience for me since I haven't seen the begining of the story and there is no way to watch it now. :mad:
You'd have to go to either the appdata roaming or LocalLow folder( windows + R, then type %appdata%) and look for the correct folder, I havent downloaded the game so i cannot tell you the exact name of the folder. But unity games typically save their games in one of those 2 folders. Hope this helped.

Tighter

Sep 28, 2017
You can view the intro scene in the gallery.

Darksword696

Jul 4, 2022
My only fear is that the rest of the girls won't be anywhere as good as Cattia.

Where do you go from a virgin tsundere purple-skinned huge titty gothic-fashioned demon girl? Nowhere but down, that's for sure.

Reactions: Tewi and dio123456
2.90 star(s) 9 Votes