RPGM Iter [v0.1] [PervyKnight]

frasse

Feb 7, 2018
Hmmm, I'm really on the fence about this to be honest. On one side I've given the player a lot of freedom to build his character however he sees fit and this is the sole reason why enemies are stronger from the very start of the game. You can become overpowered quite easily which makes me hesitant to change enemy stats. I do need the player to struggle at first :D.

On the other hand I can understand not wanting to grind to get further in. I can lower the enemies atk power but that would make the game, once you've gotten your first companion, super easy. Since every enemy has an elemental weakness and your companion starts with the basic version of all the spells available.....you get where I'm going with this...The game would go from easy to super easy in just an hour or so of gameplay.

Hmmm.....This is hard. I'm not going to sugar coat it, a bit of grind is necessary because of aforementioned reasons but I'll try a few changes and see where I end up.
what about the tentacle ? is there any option to defeat it?

Jul 1, 2017
Progress Report!

Things I've added/completed so far:
  • 5 maps.
  • Julias Love scene.
  • Teleport system (Link Crystals).
  • Added a new menu that shows your progress with each girl.
  • Added another tutorial explaining how each heroine event(s) is triggered and what to look for depending on witch route you want to go down. Love/corruption.
  • New skills aimed at giving the player more freedom in making builds. Skills such as
  1. Roar - Decreases enemy DEF stat.
  2. Taunt - Increases the users target rate, enemies will attack this target more frequently.
  3. OmniSlash - 5 hit attack which scales with agi instead atk.
  4. CrossSlash - 1 hit attack which scales with agi instead of atk.
  5. Iron stance - Increases the users DEF but lowers his ATK.
  6. More skills will be added as I go.

Things I've changed so far:
  • Changed the amount of points you need to level a stat, from 10 to 5. Due to this change I've decided not to lower enemy stats and will keep them at their current power level. Future enemies will have a linear growth due to this as well.

Things I'm planning to add in the next few days:
  • Have sketched 5 poses for the next girl that will be introduced. Will start drawing and coloring tomorrow and should have it done in 2-3 days.
  • Continuation of the story once I'm done with the above.

Final Notes:
From now on I will be posting progress reports on a weekly basis to let you guys know where I am and where I'm going.

If you have any questions do let me know at 52sokrA@gmail.com or consider supporting and let me know in the discord server instead.

Thank you for playing!

Boombaru23

Aug 11, 2017
Had to close the game,the zoomed out perspective made my eyes hurt,and the encounter rate is insane,got Final Fantasy 2 flashbacks,but the artwork is nice.

Jul 1, 2017
Had to close the game,the zoomed out perspective made my eyes hurt,and the encounter rate is insane,got Final Fantasy 2 flashbacks,but the artwork is nice.
Haha, sorry about that. I'm the complete opposite when it comes to rpg maker games. I hate how zoomed in it is so I decided to change the resolution to 1920x1080. I can understand if it's a deal breaker :D.

I would also like to mention that I agree with the how bad the encounter rate is. Right now it's set to 40 steps but I'm considering upping that number to around 55-60 (or more) steps instead and then adding items/skills that increase or decrease the encounter rate. This should give the player the freedom to choose whether he wants to fight or not.

And finally, thanks for the compliment concerning the art :), I'm not much of a 2D artist so it's nice to get some recognition on that part.

Thanks for playing though :D.

Briheas

Nov 21, 2021
Hmmm, I'm really on the fence about this to be honest. On one side I've given the player a lot of freedom to build his character however he sees fit and this is the sole reason why enemies are stronger from the very start of the game. You can become overpowered quite easily which makes me hesitant to change enemy stats. I do need the player to struggle at first :D.

On the other hand I can understand not wanting to grind to get further in. I can lower the enemies atk power but that would make the game, once you've gotten your first companion, super easy. Since every enemy has an elemental weakness and your companion starts with the basic version of all the spells available.....you get where I'm going with this...The game would go from easy to super easy in just an hour or so of gameplay.

Hmmm.....This is hard. I'm not going to sugar coat it, a bit of grind is necessary because of aforementioned reasons but I'll try a few changes and see where I end up.
Having only 1 character is 4x harder than if you have 2 characters. Because you not only have twice the firepower with 2 characters, but you also have twice the HP.

As an example, consider a character with 10 HP, dealing 1 dmg per attack, fighting a monster with the same stats. It's a 50/50 battle, with someone barely surviving with 1 HP and the other dead during the 10th round. But have 2 of those characters fight 1 monster, and the characters will kill the monster in 5 turns. Meanwhile, the monster will only do 5 attacks, meaning each character will take 2.5 dmg each on average. So together they can kill 3 monsters, and the 4th monster will be a 50/50 battle. So 4x as strong. And that's not even considering synergies between the characters or anything like that...

So if you're balancing all enemies around a 2 character party, you have to realize that a solo character is going to be 4x weaker than you normally expect. And a solution of "well, just level him up more while he's solo" is not a good solution, because he'll continue to have those high stats when the 2nd character joins, which will just imbalance the game even more.

Personally, I would just give the MC a story-related buff while he's fighting solo. Whether that's some sort of gear that grants him additional stats and breaks later, or a potion that only lasts 1 day, and therefore is gone once the companion joins, or whatever. That way you can keep the enemies at the same stat level while not penalizing the player for the mere fact that the story hasn't granted us another character yet.

Or just cut the solo gameplay entirely. Make it part of the introduction and we just start playing once we have 2 characters.

Jul 1, 2017
Having only 1 character is 4x harder than if you have 2 characters. Because you not only have twice the firepower with 2 characters, but you also have twice the HP.

As an example, consider a character with 10 HP, dealing 1 dmg per attack, fighting a monster with the same stats. It's a 50/50 battle, with someone barely surviving with 1 HP and the other dead during the 10th round. But have 2 of those characters fight 1 monster, and the characters will kill the monster in 5 turns. Meanwhile, the monster will only do 5 attacks, meaning each character will take 2.5 dmg each on average. So together they can kill 3 monsters, and the 4th monster will be a 50/50 battle. So 4x as strong. And that's not even considering synergies between the characters or anything like that...

So if you're balancing all enemies around a 2 character party, you have to realize that a solo character is going to be 4x weaker than you normally expect. And a solution of "well, just level him up more while he's solo" is not a good solution, because he'll continue to have those high stats when the 2nd character joins, which will just imbalance the game even more.

Personally, I would just give the MC a story-related buff while he's fighting solo. Whether that's some sort of gear that grants him additional stats and breaks later, or a potion that only lasts 1 day, and therefore is gone once the companion joins, or whatever. That way you can keep the enemies at the same stat level while not penalizing the player for the mere fact that the story hasn't granted us another character yet.

Or just cut the solo gameplay entirely. Make it part of the introduction and we just start playing once we have 2 characters.
I must admit, you're not wrong but I'm hardly balancing it around a 2 character party since there will be three characters joining the protagonist which means this will be a 4-party at the end of chapter 2. With that said I do agree that the enemies are strong, stronger than what one would expect from the start of a game and I will/am trying out different approaches to this issue.

On the next build I will have lowered the amount needed to level a stat. This should lower the grind as well as make it easier to survive but as you've mentioned this too comes with its own issues. Mainly, the fact that the protag will most likely be much stronger by the time the next companion is acquired. But this does not matter much because of the way "leveling" works in my game. Kills grant your entire party stat points which should make your weaker members get up to speed relatively quick. Though the fact that it is needed, to begin with, might be a issue in itself since the enemies at that time might one shot the members and that won't be fun for the player.

This would force him to head to a weaker area and train there to get the others on his "level" so to speak. Hmmm......One solution would be to give the newcomers the exact same amount of points the player has accumulated until that point. This should right all wrongs...Right? This shouldn't be hard to do either. I just need a variable to keep count on how many points the player has gained.

But with all said and done there is still the issue of "Enemies are too strong at the start".
What to do here? One answer would be to lower enemy stats to make it easier at the start of the game and ramp it back up when you've acquired your first companion..... Will have to add this change to the upcoming build.

Last edited:

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
Overview:
It's about a mercenary looking to make a name for himself.
He left his homeland due to it being too tranquil and is now in search of a land wrought with turmoil and strife.
But little does he know that fate has other plans for him...​
You might need to change your words here ... Ironically, it seems you are stating that he is fated to find absolute peace and contentment rather than what he's looking for! (y)

e-d :)

P.S.: ... along with personal obscurity.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017
You might need to change your words here ... Ironically, it seems you are stating that he is fated to find absolute peace and contentment rather than what he's looking for! (y)

e-d :)

P.S.: ... along with personal obscurity.
Hmm, maybe I made it a bit too obvious? I mean, you hit the nail on the head on that one. That's what I'm going for anyway :D

• Love
Reactions: e-disfunction

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
Hmm, maybe I made it a bit too obvious? I mean, you hit the nail on the head on that one. That's what I'm going for anyway :D
Well, no worries then! :whistle:

(Oooh! How about a small change to this: "But little does he know that fate has plans for him...". That might remove any extra reveals but leave all the 'adventure' to be discovered by the players.) :sneaky:

e-d

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017
Well, no worries then! :whistle:

(Oooh! How about a small change to this: "But little does he know that fate has plans for him...". That might remove any extra reveals but leave all the 'adventure' to be discovered by the players.) :sneaky:

e-d
OOoohh, I do like that. Unfortunately this thread isn't made by me so any changes I make on my Patreon and Subscribestar page will/might not get copied over. Sad but oh well :D.

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
OOoohh, I do like that. Unfortunately this thread isn't made by me so any changes I make on my Patreon and Subscribestar page will/might not get copied over. Sad but oh well :D.
Have you tried changing both subscriber pages, and then "Report"-ing the orginal post (OP) saying "This is the 'New Overview' made by the dev'r."? (provide a link, that helps!)
Or just writing a quick note to the orginal poster asking them to change their post?

Jul 1, 2017
Have you tried changing both subscriber pages, and then "Report"-ing the orginal post (OP) saying "This is the 'New Overview' made by the dev'r."? (provide a link, that helps!)
Or just writing a quick note to the orginal poster asking them to change their post?
I feel like that would be a bother, for such a slight change. I'll inform him as soon as I'm done with the next build. This way he can upload the next chapter as well as change the overview .....And hopefully remove the extra Julia he put on the cover art as well :D.

• Hey there

Briheas

Nov 21, 2021
I must admit, you're not wrong but I'm hardly balancing it around a 2 character party since there will be three characters joining the protagonist which means this will be a 4-party at the end of chapter 2. With that said I do agree that the enemies are strong, stronger than what one would expect from the start of a game and I will/am trying out different approaches to this issue.

On the next build I will have lowered the amount needed to level a stat. This should lower the grind as well as make it easier to survive but as you've mentioned this too comes with its own issues. Mainly, the fact that the protag will most likely be much stronger by the time the next companion is acquired. But this does not matter much because of the way "leveling" works in my game. Kills grant your entire party stat points which should make your weaker members get up to speed relatively quick. Though the fact that it is needed, to begin with, might be a issue in itself since the enemies at that time might one shot the members and that won't be fun for the player.

This would force him to head to a weaker area and train there to get the others on his "level" so to speak. Hmmm......One solution would be to give the newcomers the exact same amount of points the player has accumulated until that point. This should right all wrongs...Right? This shouldn't be hard to do either. I just need a variable to keep count on how many points the player has gained.

But with all said and done there is still the issue of "Enemies are too strong at the start".
What to do here? One answer would be to lower enemy stats to make it easier at the start of the game and ramp it back up when you've acquired your first companion..... Will have to add this change to the upcoming build.
I think a lot of these issues can be solved simply by removing the 1 kill = 1 exp system. Allowing harder enemies to give more exp, and consequently, making leveling up a stat require more exp per point as you level it, will give you the flexibility to make enemies weaker or stronger as the game requires, without having to worry about players overfarming that area, due to the diminishing returns. You won't need to worry about the difference in character strengths, because that difference will become smaller due to exp inflation.

Though if you are set on having 1 kill = 1 exp, it is your game. I think it will require a lot of fine tuning, but it should still be possible to balance around it.

Jul 1, 2017
I think a lot of these issues can be solved simply by removing the 1 kill = 1 exp system. Allowing harder enemies to give more exp, and consequently, making leveling up a stat require more exp per point as you level it, will give you the flexibility to make enemies weaker or stronger as the game requires, without having to worry about players overfarming that area, due to the diminishing returns. You won't need to worry about the difference in character strengths, because that difference will become smaller due to exp inflation.

Though if you are set on having 1 kill = 1 exp, it is your game. I think it will require a lot of fine tuning, but it should still be possible to balance around it.
I've been struggling with that to be honest but I'm dead set on this system for the simple fact that it gives the player a huge amount of freedom. Also, just to lay it out there, I'm a big proponent for becoming overpowered in games. I love it when a game lets me get to a state where I'm breezing through without issue, where I can one-shot enemies and bosses.

Of course this should only be possible if you've spent the time and energy that is required in order to achieve such a state because I hate games that shower me with items, armor and weapons without me having done anything at all.

This is why I chose to run with this system and also why enemies are stronger from the start. Though they are stronger than need be it seems. I mean I used to play Maplestory before the big bang update and back then an hour or two of grinding didn't amount to jack shit. This is most likely why I didn't mind grinding for an hour or two before proceeding in my own game.

I'll try to balance it better, I've already lowered enemy atk stat by 5-10 so it should be possible to grind without worrying of being one-shot. But then again, no matter which rpg, if you always rush then it makes sense that you'll face enemies that can kill you.

Boombaru23

Aug 11, 2017
Haha, sorry about that. I'm the complete opposite when it comes to rpg maker games. I hate how zoomed in it is so I decided to change the resolution to 1920x1080. I can understand if it's a deal breaker :D.

I would also like to mention that I agree with the how bad the encounter rate is. Right now it's set to 40 steps but I'm considering upping that number to around 55-60 (or more) steps instead and then adding items/skills that increase or decrease the encounter rate. This should give the player the freedom to choose whether he wants to fight or not.

And finally, thanks for the compliment concerning the art :), I'm not much of a 2D artist so it's nice to get some recognition on that part.

Thanks for playing though :D.
Sorry for not answering,for some reason it didn't appear in my notifications,don't worry,what I said were minor things,the game is really nice,my eyes are just sensible and that's why I said about it :D