qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I changed the hyphen-minus to be 50 whatever thick (just upping it to 40 wasn't doing it, there may be other causes), and now it appears properly at basically all sizes.
I changed the glyph used in the game 0x2d(hypeh/hyphen-minus), and copied over the original glyph to the originally empty 0xad(minus/soft-hyphen)
I could try more involved changes like changing "+" too and adjusting their style to match the font but my knowledge about type graphing is limited, which is why I also didn't fix the problems present in the original font pointed out by my editing program.
(by the way the original font's copyright is by Gophmann A.L., 2006. The font is "free distribution" according to the now gone website, but no mentions on modification, so modifying it is a bit iffy copyright-wise.)
Thank you very much!

As you can guess by the visual content of the game, we don't give a fuck about copyright's infringement, neither did Old Huntsman. So modifying a font so it stops sucking, we can do that :)

I put it in the Roadmap section, for Lokplart to take care of it (y)

________

Aug 14, 2018
Yes, create the content folder, so you can extract the pic and snd folder.

Then go back to the parent folder and start Jack-o-Nine-Tails. If it doesn't work, try to see the properties (maybe launching as Admin will work, if it doesn't then compatibility mode for an older version of Windows).
I did this, and it didn't work T^T
I got the same error message.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: qwertyu12359

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I'm looking at the font with a font editor. The horizontal part of the "+" glyph has a width of 40. The same part of the "-" glyph has a width of 39. That's sometimes why the "+" will be visible but the "-" not, it's probably a rounding thing.
Lol who made this font.
Yes and no. Rounding is currently screwing it over for your particular instance, but is not the underlying cause of the issue (of all font issues in this game, actually).
I changed the hyphen-minus to be 50 whatever thick (just upping it to 40 wasn't doing it, there may be other causes), and now it appears properly at basically all sizes.
I changed the glyph used in the game 0x2d(hypeh/hyphen-minus), and copied over the original glyph to the originally empty 0xad(minus/soft-hyphen)
I could try more involved changes like changing "+" too and adjusting their style to match the font but my knowledge about type graphing is limited, which is why I also didn't fix the problems present in the original font pointed out by my editing program.
(by the way the original font's copyright is by Gophmann A.L., 2006. The font is "free distribution" according to the now gone website, but no mentions on modification, so modifying it is a bit iffy copyright-wise.)
You'll have the same issue. The issue is using px instead of em/rem. Step up to 4K and realize it. The entire web backend needs to be rewrote using em/rem and dynamic CSS to scale automatically without any issues. I said what I said for a reason. Only posting to add clarity, not involved anymore. I can't work with some types of people (IAT).

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I did this, and it didn't work T^T
I got the same error message.
I have an idea... since we since made change to the engine for 2.2, try v2.0.1.

Replace what you have in your dev' version folder. Make sure the files get replaced. You shouldn't need an additional "content" folder to see if the game launches or not.

brlolilover

Apr 22, 2020
I thickened + and - to be a similar thickness to the stems of some of the letters, so they should display fine for the most part.
1628368336222.png
With some experimentation it seems like the engine also ignores kerning, so only adjustments to the side bearings matter.
With that and the inconsistency of the displaying... yeah it does look like it needs rewriting to fix the overarching bugs.

I might take a look at the source code... eventually. Web stuff isn't my jam though.

________

Aug 14, 2018
I have an idea... since we since made change to the engine for 2.2, try v2.0.1.

Replace what you have in your dev' version folder. Make sure the files get replaced. You shouldn't need an additional "content" folder to see if the game launches or not.
Finally!! It launched ! hahahahaha Thanks bruh . Wonder why 2.2 gives me an error though .

Also, what does this mean ?
1628387448419.png 1628387506025.png
Does this mean there was an image it's supposed to load, but couldn't or couldn't find it?

Last edited:

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Finally!! It launched ! hahahahaha Thanks bruh . Wonder why 2.2 gives me an error though .
I'm both happy and sad ^^ 2.2 is a hell of an improvement for many reasons. But at its core, it's still the same game, just with outdated mechanics and less pictures. So I hope you have fun.

It really makes me curious what could be the problem exactly. I put your problem in the Roadmap of Lokplart, in the OP. So maybe he'll be able to see the problem and come up with a fix for it so you can launch latest versions. (y)

View attachment 1341355 View attachment 1341356
Does this mean there was an image it's supposed to load, but couldn't or couldn't find it?
Yes. Now what you're supposed to do is erase the pic and snd folders and then place back the "media base" for v2.0.1... which has been erased from GitGud. Fuck.

Well I can propose you this one, it's from 2.1, I think:

Should be mostly compatible, minus a few pictures and musics.

wasnt thare more picture packs for this game or am I misremembering?
There was back in 1.7.3 and 1.7.5. The reasons there are almost none for 2.2 results from good news actually.

1. The pictures were 50mb animation loops, censored, or very compressed .gif pictures. So they were replaced with better and uncensored art.
  2. The packs are not compatible anymore because the filename organization of the pictures was totally different. For exemple, it was naming a picture: "bj_pink_young_short_greeneye". That's right, the game was actually hiding pictures from you if the slave had a non-matching eye-color. Since then that's been changed and simplified so each slave would draw from a larger picture pool, at the (arguably acceptable) detriment of retro-compatibility and pack-compatibility.
  3. The packs were mostly older than the last versions, and therefore were actually included in 1.7.5 (that's why some people preferred 1.7.3, it had completely different visuals). And for 2.0, one of my task was mix the best of both 1.7.3 and 1.7.5. So you can consider that someone did the job of looking at each files, grab the best, and name them accordingly, if you ever feel nostalgic.

Though sure it must still be missing a lot of things, especially looping animations... But they were too difficult to work with for the most part. For exemple, if they had watermarks, I couldn't just photoshop it out, so I skipped most of them.

It's notable that Lokplart has made it as easy as ever to add picture into the game. As for animations, there are still a few in-game and compatible if you want to add some back (they are just in a misleading ".png" extension because the game engine is capricious).

Last edited:

brlolilover

Apr 22, 2020
Oh yeah, gameplay question: what's this purple star about?
1628390444145.png
Behaves the same as a single green star, no idea how to trigger it consistently.

ImperatorAugustusTertius

Sep 12, 2020
Oh yeah, gameplay question: what's this purple star about?
View attachment 1341397
Behaves the same as a single green star, no idea how to trigger it consistently.
Further high-intensity physical activities today (exercise, fighting, racing, etc.) may hinder instead of help. It's mostly seen when you have extra energy, for example due to faerie pollen. If you ask her how she's feeling, she'll tell you that she's tired. Also, if you keep doing things, the text will reflect that.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
With some experimentation it seems like the engine also ignores kerning, so only adjustments to the side bearings matter.
With that and the inconsistency of the displaying... yeah it does look like it needs rewriting to fix the overarching bugs.
Qt backend, it wrecks font-kerning without being told how to handle it. It isn't about just the game. QSP is a bad engine to begin with and needs a *ton* of rework to make it really nice. I thought about grabbing the QSP source, introducing a single command to pass info between engine and games and fix so many games, but I get bored easily. I fixed the audio stuff for Linux and Windows, introduced a path-bruter for filesystem access on Linux because the game original had mix-case files and randomly-named strings inside looking for them. Just needs a ground-up rewrite, just like the HTML and CSS. Quite frankly, I think all web-backends and browsers should drop px already, it's archaic and assumes a 96dpi/ppi. JONT's CSS needs to be rewritten using only em/rem rules. It'll look exactly the same regardless of screen resolution. Font-kerning though...may need some tweaking on the compiles, maybe Qt has an option for the web-backend to provide a more native look. Maybe the web-renderer part of it assumes some CSS but not others. If I really wanted to, it'd take maybe a few days to re-do the CSS (I have lovely boilerplate HTML5 and CSS3 templates for complete user-accessibility, screen response, etc), but then I'd have to fix the QSP... Too bored to look.

*Edit* I can't recall which version Qt QSP is compiled with, but if it is below 5.1 enabling font-kerning will result in huge performance hits because of a poor font rendering path. Might can try :root, * { -webkit-font-kerning: [B][U]auto/normal[/U][/B] !important; } CSS in ./game/css/base.css.

Correct. Looks like you need to verify your folders. Version 2.2 should work, and looking at your error (c000007b), either a file is missing or corrupt. Re-download, launch stock, and use on C:\, not on another drive or a thumb drive or network drive, some people have issues with Qt-developed software on non-root drives, although I've never. Could also be .NET framework. You need x64 for JONT. I can't recall what year. I think the Qt back-end also needs . Windows N is garbage and doesn't include WMFAPI/WMP by default.

Last edited:

________

Aug 14, 2018
Well I can propose you this one, it's from 2.1, I think:

Should be mostly compatible, minus a few pictures and musics.
Works bruh, thanks for taking the time to look this up for me. If it was me I probably would have found this king of thing bothersome. Really appreciate the effort bruh.

Correct. Looks like you need to verify your folders. Version 2.2 should work, and looking at your error (c000007b), either a file is missing or corrupt. Re-download, launch stock, and use on C:\, not on another drive or a thumb drive or network drive, some people have issues with Qt-developed software on non-root drives, although I've never. Could also be .NET framework. You need x64 for JONT. I can't recall what year. I think the Qt back-end also needs . Windows N is garbage and doesn't include WMFAPI/WMP by default.
I use Windows 8.1

• Yay, new update!

brlolilover

Apr 22, 2020
*Edit* I can't recall which version Qt QSP is compiled with, but if it is below 5.1 enabling font-kerning will result in huge performance hits because of a poor font rendering path. Might can try :root, * { -webkit-font-kerning: [B][U]auto/normal[/U][/B] !important; } CSS in ./game/css/base.css.
Looking at the engine repo it uses Qt 5.4, so it might be ok with that. It is one of the last versions to have QWebKit, as it was deprecated in 5.5 and removed in 5.6 in favour of QWebEngine. It isn't that different but it does lose some functionality that QSP depends on, so it's not a drop-in replacement, making it more difficult to use a more modern version of Qt.
(There's a qtwebkit repository on github that claims it works with Qt5.14 but idk I haven't been able to get it to work)
The build instructions for the engine are kinda weird too, calling for both VS 2013 and VS2019. I'll try to check if it's really needed, the reason given is weak.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I use Windows 8.1
Doesn't matter. You still need WMFAPI/WMP. No real reason to stay < W10, they all spy anyway. If you can, Enterprise, a lot of modifications...can prevent almost all. Add a few kernel mods, can prevent all. *no one ask me about this, nowhere near enough time to explain all of this*
Looking at the engine repo it uses Qt 5.4, so it might be ok with that. It is one of the last versions to have QWebKit, as it was deprecated in 5.5 and removed in 5.6 in favour of QWebEngine. It isn't that different but it does lose some functionality that QSP depends on, so it's not a drop-in replacement, making it more difficult to use a more modern version of Qt.
(There's a qtwebkit repository on github that claims it works with Qt5.14 but idk I haven't been able to get it to work)
The build instructions for the engine are kinda weird too, calling for both VS 2013 and VS2019. I'll try to check if it's really needed, the reason given is weak.
The version of QSP that JONT uses has been customized by the original authors, an intermediate, and the latest two, these changes would need to be added (although I'd do it entirely differently.) A lot of work to re-do properly. I would recommend jumping to the latest Qt and use Vorbis for audio instead of WMFAPI/WMP if possible, along with re-vamping the entire audio-backend and re-doing communication between QSP and game.

brlolilover

Apr 22, 2020
The version of QSP that JONT uses has been customized by the original authors, an intermediate, and the latest two, these changes would need to be added (although I'd do it entirely differently.) A lot of work to re-do properly. I would recommend jumping to the latest Qt and use Vorbis for audio instead of WMFAPI/WMP if possible, along with re-vamping the entire audio-backend and re-doing communication between QSP and game.
Oh yeah, I was looking at which I assume is what's used on JONT.

I still haven't taken a look at it, but if we migrate from qtwebkit to qtwebengine I think whatever Qqsp does could be used as reference.

On an unrelated note, I think I ran into a bug: having the lash on the sleeve slot doesn't count as having it for punishment purposes. Every other slot counts, including the boot.

Oh yeah, I was looking at the build instructions for the engine on gitgud, the whole GIT_VERSION="" step can be removed entirely if an is created on the repo, making if so that the GIT_VERSION gets filled out with the tag or the most recent tag + the number of commits since that tag + commit hash. It can also be a lightweight tag if the --tags option is specified after the describe command.
(Note that this will only work if the person properly cloned the repository, so you may want to keep the step with the added description that it can be skipped if you cloned the repo)

Last edited:

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Oh yeah, I was looking at which I assume is what's used on JONT.

I still haven't taken a look at it, but if we migrate from qtwebkit to qtwebengine I think whatever Qqsp does could be used as reference.

On an unrelated note, I think I ran into a bug: having the lash on the sleeve slot doesn't count as having it for punishment purposes. Every other slot counts, including the boot.

Oh yeah, I was looking at the build instructions for the engine on gitgud, the whole GIT_VERSION="" step can be removed entirely if an is created on the repo, making if so that the GIT_VERSION gets filled out with the tag or the most recent tag + the number of commits since that tag + commit hash. It can also be a lightweight tag if the --tags option is specified after the describe command.
(Note that this will only work if the person properly cloned the repository, so you may want to keep the step with the added description that it can be skipped if you cloned the repo)
Nah, another intermediate author in between. It's in the About. The current JONT is a modified fork of the modified fork of a modified fork of a fork. Yeah... graylor/FastQSP->ItalianSunglassMovie/FastQSP->Ivanowich/FastQSP->f95zone.to/threads/390+some patches I made that were pulled in too. FastQSP was also forked from the original QSP and heavily modified. Basically, the JONT QSP is a heavily modified version of an archaic fork of QSP. It'd be best to just rewrite with something like Unity or Godot (recommended for this type of game).

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
does anyone know how to fix this, I have tried reinstalling it mutilple time View attachment 1344834
In the OP there's an Installation section. Look at it, it says there are pre-requisite.

These pre-requisites are standard for most standard videogames.

You could try reading the thread, the answer has been mentioned probably 10 times..

qwertyu12359 You might want to put a link to *them* on OP...
I did already link to the redistribuables in the OP.

For his defense, the "installation" section is rarely useful on most f95 games so it's easy to miss. And the thread is very long. Also most people with an error message tend to post a screen rather than write the error message, so I assume it's hard to find with the search function.

Also, would you know why the game requires both x86 and x64? Couldn't the requirements be reduced?

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-64E
4.00 star(s) 58 Votes