Oct 9, 2021
I don't think the hentai follows the storyline of the VN exactly.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I understand that it would differ, I just would like to see the storyline buildup.
To relate to the hentai (2eps), it is bad end for all but one focuses on Akari and the other on Natsu. Since it is an orgy situation, I would expect some form of similarity.

Iexist

Jul 20, 2018
Well, I finally got around to Kansen 5. As with all the others, first of all, thank you very much InsaneMonster for the guide you made. This VN is, in some way, a behemoth of choices and combinations, and puzzling through it all would have a taken a LONG ass time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

As with other installments done by Dazed, GPT shows its value, but even with it, you can still see the MTL-ness in various places and this could have done with a good editing pass to fix the varying issues. I still hope that it'll get a full translation one day... and I'll definitely re-read the whole thing if that ever happens.

Moving on. This VN is... hard to rate, if I were to bother with the rating system. (Which I generally don't on MTL-ed games unless the MTL was edited to the point it reads like proper English 90% of the time.) Obviously, the potential issues in translation are one of the reasons why it's hard to rate, but there's honestly a lot more than that. This is the 5th installment of the series, and the biggest one by far in literally every way you can imagine. It feels like SPEED tried overcorrect after K4, which was surprisingly small, especially on the heels of K3, and felt smaller than K2 even, even with 3 heroines.

Well, small is not something that can be applied to K5 (aside from talking about the MC who's a glasses shota, basically...). They increased the size of everything. Bigger cast, with FOUR love interests for the MC to choose and survive with. THREE notable side-girls with a decent number of scenes for each. FOUR male side-characters with varying levels of involvement, appearances and participation in H-scenes. A decent spread of "Other" characters in varying scenes. More variation in basic routes. More variation in character backgrounds and motivations and whatnot. Bigger boobs than ever (seriously, just look at Natsu, those things are f'n HUGE!), but also smaller boobs than ever (Sato definitely qualifies for DFC, though really, she just has a realistic physique for a gymnast of her age), so a wider spread than ever. A whole island of locations with a much bigger variety of locations for "stuff happening" than in any of the previous Kansen VNs.

Also more story plot, but I imagine most people don't care about that.

Still, I'll touch on this a bit, since the plot that tries to take itself seriously is one of the weaker parts of K5. The reason for that is simple. Much like previous Kansen VNs, there are a number of choices that lead to "shit happening" that has absolutely no connection to the choice in question. This wasn't really a thing in K1 or even K2 that I can remember, events in those were consistent and generally things happened because of choices, not just because. This started being a thing in K3, but it wasn't as hugely heavy handed as it ended up being in K4 and now in K5.

Choices taken by the MC lead to route splits, and those routes have some wild level of differences that can't really be explained. Like the movements of the military being completely different, or the timing of when the Infection stuff goes seriously out of hand, or even the movements of various characters and where they are at any given point. It's so bad that you can't really say that events split naturally from choices, but rather that those choices allow you to pick entirely different stories that happened in different universes or whatnot. This is especially noticeable with the True Ending route, which in some aspects feels like it's Makoto's fantasy dream turned into reality for a number of reasons. I'll comment more on those differences between routes and whatnot down below when I reach my typical spoilery musings about the story, but suffice to say that consistent story telling was NOT a strong suite of K5.

What IS a strong suite of K5 is the H-content. With so many varied girls and so much content, we have more variety in scenes, situations and positions than in any of the previous Kansen games, with perhaps the ironic exception of the worst of the lot, K2. I have to give that one a nod for having a bit of gay content for both sexes.

K5 doesn't have any intended gay content, and the only kind of girl on girl action you'll see is in a couple of orgy scenes. They hit something of a middle line between the most extreme K3 (where girls were literally fucked to death and in one case killed during sex, and the MC was killed brutally more than in any other Kansen VN) and the most tame K4. There's a LOT of double and triple vaginal penetration. Plenty of classic anal and vaginal double penetration, and other permutations thereof. There's fisting (all of the four main girls have at least one scene where they get fisted by someone or another). Obviously metric tons of rape. Vomiting, which has become a staple since K3, though luckily, not particularly well depicted or well described (at least for me who doesn't care about filth stuff, might be a disappointment for other peeps) is present in plenty of scenes. Surprisingly, there was only like one or maybe two scenes were girls peed themselves for whatever reason? Either way, surprisingly (and for me pleasantly) little content of that type.

Oh, and MC only gets his dick torn off in only one scene that I can remember.

That said, the most content and most varied in general, is for Akari, who's VERY clearly the main girl of K5 for a LOT of reasons. In sheer number of CG entries, she has more than full page of H-CGs and more non-H CGs on top of that than any of the other love interests, none of which have a full page of their own.

This leads into talking about the characters. Well, as is the staple of Kansen, the MC is a high-school student of likely 16 years old, and like most entries in the series, there's at least one girl he's mooning over quite a bit. This girl being Akari, a 1st year (thus ~15) and the intended True Love Interest in the VN. They REALLY lean in on that throughout the VN. Though, luckily, they did make some decent effort into explaining why MC isn't just getting together with this girl. Part of it is the difference in social status between them. Part of it is because MC is somewhat of a social outcast because of certain circumstances. Part of it is because she's very popular and another guy is also mooning over her (though she doesn't care about this other guy in the romantic sense and he doesn't get the hint), and said other guy is bullying the MC. Basically, it's complicated, and made more complicated by the MC's lingering trauma from the incident 4 years ago.

New-ish to Kansen is a girl that's bullying the MC because she genuinely dislikes him and who is NOT a love interest. Hanazawa Airi is a breath of fresh air in some ways, though in others she's disappointing because they don't really explore her character motivations all that much, in favor of getting her dicked by infected in various situations. Sad, but such is life. At least her scenes were hot.

Of course, MC has a male best friend like in most other Kansen VNs. Izubuchi Souichirou, which from here on out I shall refer to as his game alias, Fatty.G, is a better "best friend" character than any of the ones in the previous VNs, even K3. He has great chemistry with MC. We're really shown that these two have a lot in common and how they bounce off of each other much better than in any of the previous VNs. In general, he feels like much more of a friend to our MC, Makoto, than any of the other iterations before him.

Next are the remaining love interests. Minami Satsuki, a girl that's a year older than our MC, is interesting because she has a relationship with the MC and his best friend that in some ways make her seem like "one of the bros". One of the 1st scenes in the VN, the scene that introduces her, has her joining in on the extremely lewd commentary the two were spewing out while taking pictures of the cheerleading club (especially Akari, who's a rising star in said club). She doesn't judge either of them for their otaku tendencies and their perverted natures and seems to have a perverted streak of her own. Though really, she's actually one of the biggest perverts in the whole VN, and the biggest psycho out of all the girls...

Hyuuga Natsu, the next love interest, is also the most interesting of the lot in some ways, by sheer dint of the fact that she is NOT a high-school girl like all the rest. Instead, she's Makoto's adoptive older sister, and a retired SDF member who served in the debacle during the 1st incident "4 years ago". She's also the one that ultimately rescued him in the end. The story implies that she was 19 during the incident, currently 23, and about 7 years older than the MC. A literal 1st in the whole Kansen series, on top of the fact that she has the biggest boobs to show up so far in a Kansen VN. Her relationship with the MC is also complicated, because of the age gap, because she knew his father who was also something of a father figure to her, and especially because of the shared trauma from the incident that led to her retirement and to the two of them living together as a family.

Last, but not necessarily least is Tarja Pohjonen, the "girl that the MC doesn't personally know or was involved with" that shows up in pretty much all Kansen VNs. Still, they managed to make a twist here with the fact that the MC knows her from online gaming, being a frequent party member of his in a game that's a Monster Hunter reference, "Monster Buster 5", they weren't even trying to be subtle here... Her other claim to fame is that she lost family to the 1st incident, even though she wasn't personally involved in it.

All in all, K5's cast of characters is fairly interesting and very different in a lot of ways from the cast of previous Kansen VNs. Even the MC is very different, on account of being a physically weak otaku who's in the top 10 of his grade, in the high-school, not the class. This is no small feat and shows that he's quite smart, unlike the MCs in pretty much every OTHER VN we've had so far, which were fairly average, or even downright dumb academically, but tended to be pretty in shape and much more standard "survivor" type characters. Also different is the fact that this MC is notably perverted, even without any infection being involved, and that's shown off at various points in various ways. His lack of physical aptitude also shows at various points, and in some cases is what leads to bad-ends depending on choices. His experience in dealing with infected also pops up, even though he doesn't have much of a memory from the original event.

On top of everything else, they DID try to make more of an effort to actually put some solid differences in the routes for each girl... outside the True Ending anyway... but... uh... I'll get to that a bit later.

The important bit is the fact from the very start, K5 feels different in a number of ways than previous Kansen VNs, and that's the good bit about it. Unfortunately, it comes with some bad bits too, but those will fall under...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To conclude my longest bit of word vomit to date on a Kansen VN (fitting for the longest of the lot), Kansen 5 has by far the best cast of characters (even if Makoto isn't my type) and by far the best distribution of H scenes out of all the VNs we've had in the series. With these factors alone, it'd be enough for K5 to be the best of all Kansen VNs and fitting final installment to the series (well, up until those other two attempts to milk the franchise... but I'll get to those two eventually.)

However, the poor story and branching means that its lead on the others is not as great as it could be and in some aspects it can even be considered inferior to Kansen 3 (though not any of the others). This is at least for me. A pure VN lives and dies on its story, and K5 kind of guts itself in a number of ways...

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes