lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, Cheeky is actually one of the devs being shown to me as evidence that it's better to go simpler and more linear rather than tons of branches that impact development time. I'm at a truce now with everyone around me in that we agreed to certain metrics for each update being met or not before I become open minded to what they are saying. Certainly if an update causes a drop in performance or very slow growth, that is a very telling sign.
I've always felt that, if I were to go into development, I would set out my branching paths like this:

S 0 F 0 F 0 E​

S = the start
F = a fixed event
E = the end point

0 = a branching path that loops back to a fixed point, eg. the male MC might choose a female LI, and male LI or a trans LI which would alter the player's experience but not the overarching story.

Dec 28, 2019
I've watched even big name publishers with large design teams struggle under the weight of rapidly proliferating branches resulting in many of those branches getting unsatisfying endings. Dragon Age's god baby anyone? It had a huge build-up but it went out with a whimper because it was made optional to make everyone happy only for the the design team to later decide that they didn't want to deal with god baby vs no god baby. So they wrote it out of the story in a way that many found deeply disappointing. Branches can't be allowed to proliferate beyond a designer's ability to create meaningful content or quality will suffer. Merging branches back together is essential to keeping their number low enough to manage.

Last edited:

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I've always felt that, if I were to go into development, I would set out my branching paths like this:

S 0 F 0 F 0 E​

S = the start
F = a fixed event
E = the end point

0 = a branching path that loops back to a fixed point, eg. the male MC might choose a female LI, and male LI or a trans LI which would alter the player's experience but not the overarching story.
Exactly how my own is. There is a story. There is a start, middle and end. That will never change regardless. However, who yuo happen to spend time with between those fixed points will be up to you, but all roads will lead back to where I wish them to go, in one singular story.

Otherwise you end up making 7 different stories unless you just choose widly differing endings (after a static fixed story). All comes down to time doesn't it.

IndigoHawk

Aug 9, 2016
Yes, Cheeky is actually one of the devs being shown to me as evidence that it's better to go simpler and more linear rather than tons of branches that impact development time. I'm at a truce now with everyone around me in that we agreed to certain metrics for each update being met or not before I become open minded to what they are saying. Certainly if an update causes a drop in performance or very slow growth, that is a very telling sign.
Hmm ... maybe a better example than CheekyGimp more similar to your game (in structure) would be EvaKiss with Our Red String (dual protagonists and significant branching) or Good Girl Gone Bad (female protagonist and significant branching). EvaKiss was lucky and got an early boost because Patreon was growing rapidly at the time, but after that it's been slowly growing with some setbacks because the games are niche. Just recently EvaKiss got to 2000 patrons. As ORS is a more romantic VN than GGGB, there was also a significant drop in patrons with the move to a new genre and less focus on rapid corruption.

But really I don't think Cheeky is successful because of less branching. I think it's because he's passionate, sticks to his vision, interacts with fans and builds hype for new releases, and releases regular good updates, which is mostly what EvaKiss does too. And it's not like he gets to all his characters with each update either. Managing branching is one of the challenges of Karlsson's Gambit, but simplifying wouldn't copy what actually made Where the Heart Is work.

Anyway, good luck with your game!

Dec 31, 2019
Very interesting game, I'm a fan of Femdom and it's rare to find a good game with it. Really good and different plot, many great looking girls and so many unique and interesting characters. At first I didn't try it because of the Multiple Protagonist tag but I'm glad I gave it a try now.

I played two paths after that prison test and I'm glad my MC got level 5! I tried both 4 and 5 and they are very different. Many ways the MC can try to improve his situation and I managed to find some of them, it changes a lot.

You created a very interesting and different world with interesting characters and fetishes and a great story, really well done and I can't wait to see more of it!

DarkFencer1

Apr 27, 2019
Expect maybe February for 0.4. I am kind of close, but because of all the branches, I require more time/renders to kind of have the same level of content so to speak. I expect this one to hit about 1,300-1,400 or so.
I just want to add something based on what was commented in several previous comments and what Tess mentions right here.

I tell you about my experience, a week ago I started developing my own game, also using Ren Py as a development tool and Daz as a modeling tool. And beyond the obvious learning curve and the time that it took (I only have previous experience in corporate development, mainly using .NET) especially in configuring Daz and then in making each render is very high (even with a powerful machine, renders take varios minutes). That's why sometimes I understand and I also admire that Tess can make as many as 1300 or 1400 renders, when on a normal day I do about 5 (I admit that I am just starting with Daz) and a weekend that I can dedicate more time, maybe about 20 to 30 depending on the time of each scene and my inspiration. As you will notice, having to spend time generally Monday through Friday on our regular jobs drastically affects the development time for the advancement of any game. Not even counting the days that nothing is done for various reasons. And as Tess rightly says, sometimes it is difficult not only to balance the two worlds but it is almost impossible to do without one for the other since most of the main income comes from our regular jobs.

However I believe that Tess does a very good amount of weekly work, and she is taking the balance very well, I hope in time to be able to reach that rhythm.

Regarding what has been commented in other comments, personally, I think that sometimes it is better to start with a kinetic novel, and then when the "chapter" is finished adding various branches, obviously for argumentative reasons that sometimes becomes difficult. But at first it is interesting and rewarding to be able to tell a story and see how the project progresses and then add the various possible and optional paths. But ultimately that is always a developer's choice.

Reactions: MelvintheGelvin5

DarkFencer1

Apr 27, 2019
Oh, I'd like to know more about that game. Are you going to create a preview thread here?
Hi, thanks for the interest.

Yes, when it is time I plan to release it in a new thread, I don't want to talk much about it here, especially because I respect that this is Tess's thread.

Likewise, as I was just starting out, I barely reached 60 renders yesterday, and it is a process that, as I mentioned, takes time. The only thing I can anticipate is that the main theme is going to be female domination, but the trick is that I intend to exploit the psyche of the protagonist. I want the player to be able to determine how low the main protagonist can fall, a man who is extremely pedantic, arrogant and domineering in his quest to survive a situation where his life or his dignity are in the balance, his choices are going to determine the various possible endings in one or another way. Who knows, maybe he turns to enjoy this new perspective of living, maybe he wants to fight back to the last consequences, or even maybe he can change the main "mistress" mind in his favour. A mix between SAW movies, Misery, etc.

Maybe by March I will have a first release, if I maintain or increase the current pace.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Is getting enough evil points the only way to get to K6?
Not really. It's certainly easier to get to K6 if you make a couple of evil choices (keeping the food for yourself, cutting a deal with Pat and tipping her off to Zach's weakness), but it's not a prerequisite.
Look to the walkthrough for options that keep your "slave" score low.

Edit: On second thought, you may not be able to avoid slave points entirely without at least one evil choice (eating the food yourself to have energy for the walking trial), and starting at K6 requires 0 slave points during the trials. You can still play a predominantly good MC and get K6, but you may need to make one or two compromises.

Dec 28, 2019
1) If the MC gives the good food to others he gets none himself, and that hurts him. So I wouldn't call it evil for the MC to choose to maintain his strength instead of sacrificing it to help others maintain theirs.

2) It's possible to get up to 2 slave points removed, but getting them removed is potentially more complicated than not getting them in the first place. The pertinent choices can be found in the walkthrough.

Last edited:

lorddarkam

Jan 1, 2018
Thanks! KG all along was a training game for me, but it's a story I also wanted to tell. A lot of things I want to try later I probably won't in KG because they don't match well in a lot of ways (random minor examples are certain UI elements with phones, communication, bios, stats, etc from games like College Kings, Red String, Being a DIK) and uhhh I don't know how to do them yet anyway, lol. I have four stories I really want to do someday, and this is one of them. I always figured too if I was say age 30 someday and still doing it, it means I really fell in love with doing it, etc.
it is your first game ? damm the thing is the story is good but the thing that make me very interested is you know how to organaze things thats make me think no metter what game you comes up with you are going to do very well, and i got done with any problem misgivings when i played the sex scene with the guard (the one the guys are kneeling below) i noticed you would know how to make things good to people who want to play a dominant mc too, i know you like femdom but unlike people who are complaining i can go along with it as long as the mc can turn the tables later on ( even people who don't have the kinky can enjoy it like it make you even more determined to crush them later on + some scenes i only don't chose cuz it will count as me being into sub but i watch them cuz is hot them scroll back )

lorddarkam

Jan 1, 2018
being able to chose a sister i will chose whatever is less bitch WITH ME ( i don't give a shit what they do to others thats te law since eve )

lorddarkam

Jan 1, 2018
I don't want to appear desperate, but I'm always honest, and I tend to think in the extremes - either good or bad.

When I played through the entire available content (chapters 0.1-0.3), my interest was only rising. The ending was legitimately a high point for me. You have cute Katsumi, you have cute Kiyomi's dungeon, you have the pegging mistress, you have Veronica the doctor with pain and freckles... I would also like to see more of Guards Patricia and Samantha, incredible boots. And of course, the sister co-protagonist can be submissive and evil, I'm intrigued as to what can be done with her (and her red outfit is insane). The only part where I legitimately was dissatisfied was with Junko because pet play is a bit cringe (for me). There's also Chanel.

What is missing from my feedback is all those who did not interact with the male MC directly - Alessandra, Cassandra, etc. I can't deal with it, I just don't agree with controlling multiple characters. Juliette is memorable, however.

But can someone explain to me about this talk of 0.8? Is it available to Patrons or something? Or a purely internal build, and the aim is to release in full?
Who is junko is one of the crazy sisters ? i just skipped most scenes with them i only like the Smart one by now

lorddarkam

Jan 1, 2018
I adore Olivia. I'm looking forward to how our choices impact the relationship dynamics between her and her brothers.

Subs are no better than Doms in this regard. I'm at a point where I hesitate to read anything written by a male sub because the female doms often feel more like fetish dispensers checking off the items on a fetish checklist than actual people. It's a matter of empathy, but empathy can be a two-edged sword, and I don't think you'd feel the need to vent like this over what others are telling you if you didn't have empathy.

It's your call Tess, but as you've said previously, this is more of a hobby than a living for you. Writing by formula to maximize income because you need to make a living off it isn't as much fun as following your muse and writing something that is personally satisfying. The former isn't referred to as "selling out" without reason.

IMHO, you have something very special here. I don't think there's anything else quite like it, and you're kind of in a position where you're blazing your own path instead of following in the footsteps of others. if you stick with it long enough for it to build up a head of steam the naysayers around you may well be surprised at just how successful it turns out to be in the end.

IMHO you should stick to your guns Tess. Don't let the doubters wear you down. The game is going very well.

Good. You're awesome Tess!
I chose to be impartial with Olivia, the mc should not blame her cuz someone else would do the same or worse, atlest this way some day she can help him, when her and him go up a little more and they are not the "pray anymore" they can just chill then plus being the brother i would think "being angry with her is what they want and she don't have a choice" ( just looks like she have a choice but in reallity helping him would be bad to them both, if i started to understand the dev )

4.50 star(s) 146 Votes