Hanten

Nov 12, 2016
As far as non-patreons can see, the last time they posted on the page was on the 16th in the comments

Also if we look back on previous versions' release dates they are usually around the end of the month every couple months (not including the 5.0 overhaul), so do any of you expect/hope for something within early august ?

I wonder if the release cycle for 0.5 made them a bit too comfortable with slowing the pace of updates. Almost a month without any dev progress updates and the most recent comment from them is the usual garbage soon™ "we'll update you when we have an update for when we feel like updating". I suspect that 0.6 has some surprise in it considering the delay, but given how poorly the 0.5 system overhaul was received, it might not be what we're all after.

lasttmp

May 24, 2018
I wonder if the release cycle for 0.5 made them a bit too comfortable with slowing the pace of updates. Almost a month without any dev progress updates and the most recent comment from them is the usual garbage soon™ "we'll update you when we have an update for when we feel like updating". I suspect that 0.6 has some surprise in it considering the delay, but given how poorly the 0.5 system overhaul was received, it might not be what we're all after.
Let's hope not, I want to trust Hreinn because they seem like they are invested in their work (granted I'm not a patreon - yet - so I'm less inclined to be pissed), but i reckon that they might feel it not necessary to post an update just to say that everything is going along nicely, and I also prefer not having too many previews, to keep the 'surprise' intact, but I think a few lore posts here and there could help and serve as a proof of life/work.
What part of the overhaul was poorly received ? Because aside from a few things in the tent that deserved their own categories/sub-menus (relations mostly), I felt it was an improvement and made the game smoother to play.

Reactions: JohnDupont

John1960

Sep 21, 2017
Am I the only one getting a database error in 5.2 when loading 4.0 save files?
I get "database updated" in the bottom left when I load an old save, see the graphic allright but the game shuts down when I try to continue.

Jan 25, 2018
Am I the only one getting a database error in 5.2 when loading 4.0 save files?
I get "database updated" in the bottom left when I load an old save, see the graphic allright but the game shuts down when I try to continue.
pretty sure old saves don't work with the newest update so sadly you'll have to restart. last time that's happening though supposedly.

Reactions: ponyguy

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
pretty sure old saves don't work with the newest update so sadly you'll have to restart. last time that's happening though supposedly.
It is the last time that is happening for at least the third time tho.

Honestly, I would hold on until at least they release one update were the saves work to repick up the game. I know thats what I am doing.

Reactions: Ragnar

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Let's hope not, I want to trust Hreinn because they seem like they are invested in their work (granted I'm not a patreon - yet - so I'm less inclined to be pissed), but i reckon that they might feel it not necessary to post an update just to say that everything is going along nicely, and I also prefer not having too many previews, to keep the 'surprise' intact, but I think a few lore posts here and there could help and serve as a proof of life/work.
What part of the overhaul was poorly received ? Because aside from a few things in the tent that deserved their own categories/sub-menus (relations mostly), I felt it was an improvement and made the game smoother to play.
I totally agree. The barebones Ren'Py menu system was highly inefficient and ugly for inventory management and shopping. I'm glad they took the time to concoct the new one. There are still some minor annoyances inherent to being a Ren'Py implementation, but it's a big Quality of Life improvement and it looks a lot better.
Regarding the amount of updates, since I'm no patron I don't have any reason to complain. But even if I were one (which I'd be if I had stable disposable income) I wouldn't because with a game so heavily invested in a reasonable and compelling plot it doesn't make sense to tell too much, it'd be just plain spoilers. I think the issue for some is that they see the game as mostly a container for sex scenes, whilst it surely is being developed as more of a complete game. There is sex in it but I daresay it's not even this game's focus.
I personally care more about how the story leads to sex than the sex in itself. I think that this is a good indie RPG-esque VN. If they'd ever put a more developed skill leveling system on top of it'd become a full blown RPG.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Also if we look back on previous versions' release dates they are usually around the end of the month every couple months (not including the 5.0 overhaul), so do any of you expect/hope for something within early august ?
Early august? Most likely not. Sierra just released 0.36 version of TLS (which is somewhat smaller update) and is already working on 0.37 which is supposed to be a big one. Since KoD is essentially a side project for her that she works in between working on TLS (and any other side project she have... like Crimson Gray sequel) it might take some time. Especially considering Nomo had to make CG's for everything she wrote...

That said, I believe making a choice of doing this game in Ren'py instead of RPGMaker was a mistake... mistake that at least in part causing all of those delays.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
That said, I believe making a choice of doing this game in Ren'py instead of RPGMaker was a mistake... mistake that at least in part causing all of those delays.
Funny thing, If I remember correctly they said Ren'py would speed things up.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Funny thing, If I remember correctly they said Ren'py would speed things up.
That could be but I can't really figure out why they thought that... then again, I have a feeling that switch to Ren'py was due to all of those people whining (sometimes with reason, but mostly without one) about RPGMaker.

Problem is, most of the RPGM games that people complain about should not be made in RPGM to begin with and use less than 10% of RPGM resources.

TheMagister

Aug 5, 2016
Early august? Most likely not. Sierra just released 0.36 version of TLS (which is somewhat smaller update) and is already working on 0.37 which is supposed to be a big one. Since KoD is essentially a side project for her that she works in between working on TLS (and any other side project she have... like Crimson Gray sequel) it might take some time. Especially considering Nomo had to make CG's for everything she wrote...

KoD has more patrons and makes more money, so I don't think this is correct.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
KoD has more patrons and makes more money, so I don't think this is correct.
KoD is made by Hreinn Games which is a collaboration between Sierra Lee (writer) and Nomo (artist). I don't know what the deal is between the two and how they split the money, but it's certain that Sierra makes more money out of her own Patreon... a Patreon where people support her because of TLS (other games like Desecration of Wings, Crimson Gray and Ouroboros make a very nice bonus).

Not to mention that KoD is not the first collaboration between the two so we know that TLS pretty much take precedence with Sierra... it did with Noxian Nights and it does with KoD. Besides, over last year where TLS had 9 major updates, KoD got only 5 major updates... that alone should tell you which game Sierra spend most of her time working on.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Noxian Nights had monthly updates, which was more often than TLS at the time, from what I recall
TLS had 36 major updates since first release in late November of 2014, about 7-8 months before 1st release of Noxian Nights. There were 1-2 month breaks Sierra take at the end of each Chapter and occasional delay due to various circumstances (like back and forth with Steam while trying to release Desecration of Wings or release of Ouroboros on Nutaku) but other than those Sierra kept to monthly release of TLS for little over three and a half years now.

TLS was and always will be Sierra's primary game with everything else being side-projects...

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
I still cant comprehend the extreme level of overratedness this dude has over his writing. Like, yeah, its aight, but come on man, hiring him for side collaborations and all that stuff, I dont know.

The stories of these games are nowhere near impressive, I am sorry.

mesoru

Sep 22, 2017
I still cant comprehend the extreme level of overratedness this dude has over his writing. Like, yeah, its aight, but come on man, hiring him for side collaborations and all that stuff, I dont know.

The stories of these games are nowhere near impressive, I am sorry.
Sorry, but... mind explaining what you're talking about to someone as clueless as myself?

tQqSQEs.gif

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
Sorry, but... mind explaining what you're talking about to someone clueless such as myself?

View attachment 127117
Everyone acts like Sierra's writing is something impressive worthy of worship, even having a patreon for a game that its made in RPGM, plagued with bugs last time I played it, with only text, and getting 5k for it. I find it aight.

EDIT: Clarified a little more

Q

Q

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Maybe, but they have already ended a game with monthly updates and it was pretty smooth. it's the second update, maybe wait a couple of months to see if its a trend or they can keep being reliable
I agree, they finished developing Noxian Nights with consistent updates. When I compare some other developers coming up with laughable excuses to delay updates for their game, I find this developer quite reliable. :FeelsGoodMan:
If this was ANY other dev I'd agree 100% but I'm willing to give these guys a chance due to their former work.
Don't blame this situation on Sierra or Nomo. Both Patreons and F95 users asked for this release schedule.

3.90 star(s) 76 Votes