Jul 1, 2017
I mean sensei is only doing the stuff he does because we make him do it, he really just seems like someone's who's reading from a script and enjoying the physical aspects of the job even if he doesn't fully understand the world he's been dropped into. The player's calling the shots, deciding whether or not to betray Rin for example, he's just along for the ride and enjoying the constant sex.
I don' t believe that's the case, I think it's more likely we're watching Sensei and just following along instead. See, if the player was in full control though, you wouldn't have had options like trying not to kiss Yumi or trying to tell Maya that you're unhappy, but those options didn't work. Instead when you clicked them, the game would ignore and change your choice.

Actually in fact: There's a scene with Futaba I think or maybe it was Makoto but I'm leaning towards Futaba, where you can give her a reason of why you're spending time with her- Trying to pick the wrong choice will make the game ask you to pick the correct choice this time- The second time you try and disobey the game makes the choice for you and tells you directly that you are not in control.

There are definitely more references to us the players not actually being in control but I can't think of any at the moment. Though there are also references in game of the acknowledgement of our existence outside of Sensei at the very least.

Reactions: cakeny

Riltom

Oct 2, 2018
I don' t believe that's the case, I think it's more likely we're watching Sensei and just following along instead. See, if the player was in full control though, you wouldn't have had options like trying not to kiss Yumi or trying to tell Maya that you're unhappy, but those options didn't work. Instead when you clicked them, the game would ignore and change your choice.

Actually in fact: There's a scene with Futaba I think or maybe it was Makoto but I'm leaning towards Futaba, where you can give her a reason of why you're spending time with her- Trying to pick the wrong choice will make the game ask you to pick the correct choice this time- The second time you try and disobey the game makes the choice for you and tells you directly that you are not in control.

There are definitely more references to us the players not actually being in control but I can't think of any at the moment. Though there are also references in game of the acknowledgement of our existence outside of Sensei at the very least.
I believe that these scenes about you losing control have another reason. Like during the scene with ami where you visit her parents grave, the MC says a few times that he kinda of lost control of his body/mouth. that along with the events you have pointed out. make me think that the original sensei is still inside his body seen everything that you/MC are doing. i think we might see a internal conflict between MC and the original sensei eventualy.

Reactions: Boardguy

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019

I also liked that easter egg where maya said you would have to carry the boxes, and then the game only gave you one option to carry the boxes :)

Reactions: Boardguy
Jul 1, 2017
I also liked that easter egg where maya said you would have to carry the boxes, and then the game only gave you one option to carry the boxes :)
There's also the secret scene that takes place during the Rewrite event that requires you to accept a contract or terms of agreement or something but the option to decline is actually not clickable since it's actually a part of the background picture.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I mean sensei is only doing the stuff he does because we make him do it, he really just seems like someone's who's reading from a script and enjoying the physical aspects of the job even if he doesn't fully understand the world he's been dropped into. The player's calling the shots, deciding whether or not to betray Rin for example, he's just along for the ride and enjoying the constant sex.

The story is self-aware enough that it wouldn't shock me if we as players are considered characters on some level and addressed directly as such.

Edit:

Hopefully foreshadowing
I have to agree with kekkerino123 on this for both his reasons and some of my own, I mean you can say the player is the one calling the shots on EVERY game since no game acts without the player's action, but that is not what is going on here. While we are the ones that make the choices when they are given, any choice made in text only, meaning not in an interactive form like a set of buttons, is fully made by Sensei in the story. You also didn't account for those cases where actions like betraying one of the girls are split between builds. If the action that betrays the girl is added before the betrayal was even possible and the player takes the option that betrays her, that takes the choice out of the player's hands. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I had had the choice not to betray Rin in the build where Schadenfreude was added, I would not have completed Schadenfreude until it was no longer a betrayal, not because I don't like taking what is offered, I'm an evil bastard myself and love taking what I want, but because this is the one game where I couldn't do that to the characters. I'm still trying to understand that effect myself, honestly. The only reason I ended up betraying Rin was because I had already triggered the Schadenfreude event when the beach event was added and that meant my save was an automatic betrayal that I did not intend. Yes, Sensei is enjoying the physical aspects, that was his goal from the beginning, to take advantage of the girls. It is only in more recent builds that we are starting to see a change that he himself has acknowledged.

I believe that these scenes about you losing control have another reason. Like during the scene with ami where you visit her parents grave, the MC says a few times that he kinda of lost control of his body/mouth. that along with the events you have pointed out. make me think that the original sensei is still inside his body seen everything that you/MC are doing. i think we might see a internal conflict between MC and the original sensei eventualy.
That could potentially be the catalyst for this change we are starting to see him going through.

Reactions: TheLastTherion

~J&F~

Sep 2, 2020
this is an amazing game to play. good job
This game is not boring even though it is not complete.

For the next time, is there any additional events for Rin's mother?

Reactions: alex2011

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
I just want to say it makes me really happy seeing all of you discuss my work at such length. I can’t express how grateful I am for all of you and hope you’ll continue to fall deeper into this rabbit-chasm with me.
We're a bunch of art nerds standing around in a gallery waxing lyrical about what an empty can of soup means to us...only we're neck beards and we've not got pants on.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I just want to say it makes me really happy seeing all of you discuss my work at such length. I can’t express how grateful I am for all of you and hope you’ll continue to fall deeper into this rabbit-chasm with me.
Yours is probably one of the few that could get me going at this deep a level, actually analyzing fictional characters in depth instead of the game in general, I mean.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Part of me wants the ending to be something like it was all a hallucination and sensei is actually a hobo in an alley fucking a bunch of cabbagepatch kids.
That's probably the best he deserves. At least assuming we don't get some sort of redemption story by then, of course. He's made some progress toward redemption, but he hasn't quite fully accepted this new, or maybe old, part of him that is popping up and making him actually feel for the girls and not want to take advantage.

Jul 1, 2017
Part of me wants the ending to be something like it was all a hallucination and sensei is actually a hobo in an alley fucking a bunch of cabbagepatch kids.
To be fair that's a lot more tame that some other fates- The more mind breaking ones that make you want to tear your eyes out from your own sockets. I mean it's implied that Sensei killed himself by suicide- Jumping off something high at the beginning of the game, which is referenced later on by the game asking him if he wondered whatever happened to his body. So he had to be in his own personal rock bottom to have considered that a choice.

Makes you wonder if he wants this life as a throw away or a genuine second chance. It may not be his life but he's showing some care for it at this point, at the very least he could do a lot worse.

Chill-E

May 7, 2018
I like to think that we, the player, ARE the original sensei, and we are watching what's going on with our body. Only sometimes we can take back control. But for the most part we just sit and watch what happens.

Zeldae

Apr 2, 2020
Question, does this game have different endings, based on how many girls you "visited" in the dorms?

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
To be fair that's a lot more tame that some other fates- The more mind breaking ones that make you want to tear your eyes out from your own sockets. I mean it's implied that Sensei killed himself by suicide- Jumping off something high at the beginning of the game, which is referenced later on by the game asking him if he wondered whatever happened to his body. So he had to be in his own personal rock bottom to have considered that a choice.

Makes you wonder if he wants this life as a throw away or a genuine second chance. It may not be his life but he's showing some care for it at this point, at the very least he could do a lot worse.
Imagine Sensei living a goddam awesome life with 20+ girls in his harem, while his parents and relatives are just crying in anguish in the [other] world where he committed suicide...

Jul 1, 2017
Imagine Sensei living a goddam awesome life with 20+ girls in his harem, while his parents and relatives are just crying in anguish in the [other] world where he committed suicide...
Well you never know, maybe he did it because there was no one left- At least no one that mattered enough to keep him around. I'm actually fairly interested to see what kind of person Sensei was before waking up in this world. Why he thinks the way he does and what kind of relationships he had in the past.

He was seemingly calm when first waking up and maybe that's just due to not having memories or it could just simply be because he doesn't feel the need to know or care about his past.

Ankoku

Apr 28, 2018
Question, does this game have different endings, based on how many girls you "visited" in the dorms?
Lessons in Love will be split into three parts.
LiL Proper (The version we're in now)
Dark Route (The mandatory route after LiL Proper)
Purity Routes (Ending routes for each girl that will include several hours of new content for each one)

A final true ending will be planned as well, but keep in mind that any ending is a looooooooooooooong ways away.
As Lolicon Kami said, there is no ending right now. The game is still real early in development (it still has a lot of content though) but it will have a bunch of endings in the future.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I like to think that we, the player, ARE the original sensei, and we are watching what's going on with our body. Only sometimes we can take back control. But for the most part we just sit and watch what happens.
Believe it or not, that actually makes a ton of sense. Why else would the game give us options and then say 'nope, you're not going to do that, you're going to do this instead' in some cases, canonically speaking, of course.

I could see it.

Well you never know, maybe he did it because there was no one left- At least no one that mattered enough to keep him around. I'm actually fairly interested to see what kind of person Sensei was before waking up in this world. Why he thinks the way he does and what kind of relationships he had in the past.

He was seemingly calm when first waking up and maybe that's just due to not having memories or it could just simply be because he doesn't feel the need to know or care about his past.
If his thoughts are any indication, he didn't give two shits about anyone in his previous life, but maybe he will start to as this new, more caring side of him grows. Maybe he was severely wronged in the other life and he became a total sociopathic cynic that cared only for himself and his gains after he killed himself, assuming that is what ended his original life, of course. Maybe it wasn't a suicide, but a murder made to look that way or like an accident, and he became sociopathic and cynical after his death in his original life because he was betrayed in an end he wasn't expecting.

4.20 star(s) 294 Votes