PrincessEuphy

Nov 22, 2021
Every work deserves a payment and if it is a good work then it deserves a good monetary reward. Dont really understand some people desire to shun or sarcastically comment on Sel financial success. Pirates of all people should never be allowed to do such thing anyway. "Не считаи деньги в чужом кармане" как говорится. Edit: Кстати, то что подобие Лужкова не потратила ни доллара на игры не удивляет
I think there's two angles to this: general cognitive dissonance, and a sense of power.

There are few things online which engender cognitive dissonance on the level of piracy, which explains all sorts of cringeworthy behavior online dating all the way back to the LOL, LIMEWIRE animation from like 2007. The fact is that piracy is an anti-social act which harms creators, but the convenience of the act (the lack of legal consequences) combined with the personal benefit of saving money means almost everyone does it anyway. And what happens when people who consider themselves good or reasonably moral people are faced with the fact they are regularly committing an immoral, harmful act? Their brain twists over itself to resolve the dissonance. "Ah, actually there is no real harm, you see I never would have bought the thing anyway." "Ah, actually, I would have bought it (I'm a good person), but I just can't afford to right now." "Yeah I'm kind of an asshole, I pirate, but in a lovable edgy way, I'm the cool uncle." Etc. And in a vacuum, the brain's natural self defense mechanism will protect someone from self-reflection or the need to acknowledge personal guilt. But GSwole doesn't allow that to happen and repeatedly confronts people with reality, thereby throwing the false harmony into disarray and forcing one to confront the cognitive dissonance again, which is unpleasant. Nobody likes that.

Secondly is the sense of power. There's almost nothing worse (metaphorically) you can do on the internet than care about something, because caring is weakness. The seminal visual novel Cross Channel (one of my top 5 "everyone should play" visual novels) has a line where someone observes that love is a battle wherein whoever falls in love first loses, because the other person will have all the power over them. Similarly, online, expressing that you care about something opens up an avenue for strangers to have power over you, and this power they WILL notice having. The meaning here is obvious. GSwole doesn't want people to pirate their game. Person B pirates the game. Person B has the power in this dynamic. They feel a sense of dominance and superiority surge through them like pure energy, as ridiculous as that may sound. On a subconscious level (and sometimes conscious) one begins to feel that they are genuinely just better than the other person on some level - they are in some kind of dominant position. And this leads to looking down on them. There is an almost compulsion within people's minds to belittle and mock those one perceives as beneath them. It's a famous theme in fiction for even those trying to repress this to end up belittling in the other direction, where they reveal they look down on others through their efforts to not do just that. It's a very nasty, primal aspect of the human mind.

And so what happens in this thread is that GSwole openly expresses that he cares about piracy, ergo inspiring those in the thread to look down on him, then he confronts them with their cognitive dissonance, giving them impetus to lash out. Consider "cool" h-game devs who are "chill" with pirates. It doesn't really matter if on the inside they are seething too. On the outside if they present themselves as chill, then there is no power imbalance, and pirates dont feel superior to the devs - they aren't encouraged to belittle them. Then if the dev does not thrust dissonance in people's faces, they are content to remain satisfied and content with themselves, no need to go out of their way to prove a point or establish any aspect of their being or be snarky or self-defensive and so on. That is much wiser in every way, so it's what most people do where they can help it. The problem is just that sometimes, a person may care too much to do that.

Last edited:

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
also if I misunderstood and you don't actually get the reference I'm gonna go die of embarrassment in that corner over there
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I don't have the skills for songwriting, but hey, maybe we'll find the answers to those questions in 0.45...

joryuken

Sep 19, 2018
Maya claims
that Noriko doesn't know what she's talking about,
that there was no molestation,
that she was the one that came onto him,
that their hands touched by accident,
that he thought for so long before giving in -

But! No one else was in the room where it happened.
How convenient that we only have her version,
as the only other suffers from amnesia and has to trust what she says.

Maya claims
that she's a regular teenager girl,
that she has suffered through countless resets,
that she can't tell more about what she knows,
that she tried and lost him so many times,
that Ami will kill everyone if she ever finds out -

But! No one else was in the room (with the clocks) where it happened.
How convenient that only she recalls previous cycles,
and that she knew how to reset the world and yet never explained it to anyone.

I don't claim that she's lying to us
But! I do wonder what someone else would tell us of the room where it happened.

I don't have the skills for songwriting, but hey, maybe we'll find the answers to those questions in 0.45...
Schrödinger's cat

Aegirine

Formerly 'vonen111'
Aug 13, 2023
because his art is a sandbox game not a book or visual novel.
sorry but in what world LiL isn't a vn?
LiL is a VN, no doubt. The same way Sengoku Rance and Ace Attorney are VNs. They probably mean it's not a classic VN that does not include gameplay elements like map movement and time/resources management. In that genre the devs have much better control over the storytelling compared to sandboxes, so I think the difference was worth mentioning.
Sel basically goes around the sandbox by making long event chains whenever convenient, but the base game is still not a classic VN.

Reactions: fasoaga
Jun 20, 2023
And so what happens in this thread is that GSwole openly expresses that he cares about piracy, ergo inspiring those in the thread to look down on him, then he confronts them with their cognitive dissonance, giving them impetus to lash out. Consider "cool" h-game devs who are "chill" with pirates. It doesn't really matter if on the inside they are seething too. On the outside if they present themselves as chill, then there is no power imbalance, and pirates dont feel superior to the devs - they aren't encouraged to belittle them. Then if the dev does not thrust dissonance in people's faces, they are content to remain satisfied and content with themselves, no need to go out of their way to prove a point or establish any aspect of their being or be snarky or self-defensive and so on. That is much wiser in every way, so it's what most people do where they can help it. The problem is just that sometimes, a person may care too much to do that.
Wall of text. Dont care+ do agree+ did read. I just wanted to call certain someone a Лужков(кто в теме тот понял, а кто не понял тот Хлопонин), no need to waste your talents on me. Some people do take pride in them being pirates, I am a early fan of Xatab, Mechanics and other guys, so I do not have issue with pirates, but I do feel disdain to these who consider pirating as some sort of achievement to be proud of. We used to pirate because we were fucking poor as fuck and the legitimate physical copies were so expensive as if we lived in Switzerland back then, while non official physical copies would not work or have a fucking russian "professional translators" doing text and speech translation that was horrendous compared to original english. New generation of pirates are trash, we were pirates because we had no choice, new pirates become such because they are entitled nepo babies. Edit: new "legitimate" translation companies did not go that far away from Fargus(or Akella even) by the way, I actually miss these fuckers and some others as well.
Editx2: it also seem some moderator did get what I mean by referring to Лужков. You can delete russian words in this comment too. Так или иначе, кидаю приветствие всем нашим

Last edited:

Pedro4545454

Nov 23, 2023
I think there's two angles to this: general cognitive dissonance, and a sense of power.

There are few things online which engender cognitive dissonance on the level of piracy, which explains all sorts of cringeworthy behavior online dating all the way back to the LOL, LIMEWIRE animation from like 2007. The fact is that piracy is an anti-social act which harms creators, but the convenience of the act (the lack of legal consequences) combined with the personal benefit of saving money means almost everyone does it anyway. And what happens when people who consider themselves good or reasonably moral people are faced with the fact they are regularly committing an immoral, harmful act? Their brain twists over itself to resolve the dissonance. "Ah, actually there is no real harm, you see I never would have bought the thing anyway." "Ah, actually, I would have bought it (I'm a good person), but I just can't afford to right now." "Yeah I'm kind of an asshole, I pirate, but in a lovable edgy way, I'm the cool uncle." Etc. And in a vacuum, the brain's natural self defense mechanism will protect someone from self-reflection or the need to acknowledge personal guilt. But GSwole doesn't allow that to happen and repeatedly confronts people with reality, thereby throwing the false harmony into disarray and forcing one to confront the cognitive dissonance again, which is unpleasant. Nobody likes that.

Secondly is the sense of power. There's almost nothing worse (metaphorically) you can do on the internet than care about something, because caring is weakness. The seminal visual novel Cross Channel (one of my top 5 "everyone should play" visual novels) has a line where someone observes that love is a battle wherein whoever falls in love first loses, because the other person will have all the power over them. Similarly, online, expressing that you care about something opens up an avenue for strangers to have power over you, and this power they WILL notice having. The meaning here is obvious. GSwole doesn't want people to pirate their game. Person B pirates the game. Person B has the power in this dynamic. They feel a sense of dominance and superiority surge through them like pure energy, as ridiculous as that may sound. On a subconscious level (and sometimes conscious) one begins to feel that they are genuinely just better than the other person on some level - they are in some kind of dominant position. And this leads to looking down on them. There is an almost compulsion within people's minds to belittle and mock those one perceives as beneath them. It's a famous theme in fiction for even those trying to repress this to end up belittling in the other direction, where they reveal they look down on others through their efforts to not do just that. It's a very nasty, primal aspect of the human mind.

Friend, don't you know how to respond to someone without sending a wall of paragraphs? ;-;

Reactions: LoveBlueHairedGirl
4.10 star(s) 307 Votes