Biscardone

May 2, 2020
I know the daughters are supposed to be everyone's favourite characters but after replaying the game Brooke has really grown on me especially after
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
let me say she is my type of women.

P.S. I still absolutely love the girls but Brooke is just really awesome
Absolutely, she's an unsung heroine! Of course the game is thematically focused on the family and its members, but Brooke is a great character in and of herself. She's fun, caring, supportive and helpful - and on top of that, she has great sex compatibility with the protagonist. What more could one ask?

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
1683160935316.png
This week in one sentence: ren'py putting up a bit of a struggle, but it finally submitted after I promised a long overdue upgrade to using LayeredImages, and luckily some national holidays meant some extra time to handle its tantrum with little impact on progress.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
at least 3-4 months

If it goes past June it gets the abandoned tag. 18 months no update = abandoned as far as F95 is concerned.
Pedantic me: The current version is v0.6.4, which was released on 10 Jan 2022. This means 18 months is 10 July 2022. So, technically that's past June.
I'm not sure why this seems to excite some people.
I think it's just another way for people to make certain claims without saying it. Passive-Aggressive and all.

manneychin

May 8, 2017
If support collapses, it collapses. The game isn't going to be made any other way. It can't go faster because a day only has so many hours. The whole thing is set on a fixed course really, and barring a meteor strike, it's going to arrive exactly when it's done, and no sooner. Worrying about what might happen on the sidelines is moot, really.

Thankfully, that decision is entirely not yours to make, and your opinion on the matter about as valuable as the depreciation of your keyboard during the time it took you to type it.
I'm older, familiar with how software projects fail and VERY VERY familiar with this attitude. It's not healthy for you, us or the product. I literally hope you just see this and not respond, just think, really think about what I'm saying.

As sure as you being unable to properly operate without shelter, food & love, this project cannot exist without its supporters. Taking arbitrary decisions is BAD for supporters as a whole. You will always have sycophants but they are marginal and not what I'm talking about, they are not the ones feeding you the bulk of money. By inserting so much time between releases you artificially limit your supporter mass for literally no good reason. What is most likely you're doing, is you're overcompensating for some failure you "know" you have "in your blood" to get things done efficiently, by being a perfectionist and making sure the product is beyond reproach even though it's late (or at least I prefer to think about it like that because in the alternative you're no longer the nice guy). Don't do that, it's a sure fire way to soon burden yourself with more than you can take. And then what? We don't want what comes next in this case. Don't doubt that this leads to a dead end. You are human and you have HARD limits that you must actively manage.

Notice those reasons you give, notice the pattern. You retreat in this argument of "artistic integrity". You're a hero, who works night & day for EXACTLY his vision and everyone else can go to Hell if they don't like it and you'll be following them soon after wearing this shiny thing you made for you. FUCK THAT. Don't think like that. Most of your supporters care about the product and, at the very least by extension, they care about you. There is no good reason to alienate them like that.

I don't know how much you kept up with Summertime Saga, but a VERY similar problem led to a complete derailment of that project. I'll explain it a bit, maybe you can better see the problem when it's outside, even though it differs in detail. First, years ago, it was an "executive" decision (just like yours) to keep the "artistic expression" free so DC reserved the right to keep changing the game everywhere with each new release. This impacted both the code base and the existing assets (images) because an ever increasing chunk of time from every release was spent with retouching old assets and code paths. In turn, this led to a catastrophic inability to make saves work across releases (i.e. to be able to resume play in vNext using old saves from vPrevious) because the decision worked directly against how Ren'Py games are supposed to work. It was a monumentally stupid decision taken with 100% arrogance just because the dev could. Was it fair to his supporters? No. Absolutely not. Supporters were expecting a story that goes somewhere and instead they got something that only goes towards the next paycheck. And with SS the arrogance didn't stop there, there was more, much MUCH more. The dev promised a "Tech Update" that was supposed to be done in about 8 months, to upgrade the game resolution and improve the code base a little. 2 years later they simulate work being done every few days by posting wallpapers, the promise has not been met and the project is falling apart. This is where arrogance leads (though I fully expect that in DC's case there is also a pure desire to simply exploit his supporters and his unexpected success for however long it may last).

I have no reason to suspect you're not doing what you're saying. But you have to deliver more often NO. MATTER. WHAT. It will most certainly be good for everyone, you, us and the project, including your artistic vision, I'm ABSOLUTELY certain. Between delivering once every 1-2 months and once every 18 months there's the mother of all middle grounds. Every 8-12 months is a LOT better than this situation. You most certainly can split the story to fit and I guarantee you this way will get you more supporters and we are essential to this project becoming greater. No matter how great a vision you have, if you have a health problem or you don't have food or shelter, your vision doesn't matter, it won't become more than something that will barely keep you warm, if even that. It's the same with this project. If it's not properly sustained by the most people that it can attract, the project will just fizzle out and die. I know we DO NOT want that and I hope you realize you're the key in this equation because if you keep deluding yourself that you'll pull it through somehow and that's all that matters, we're all fucked.

Again, don't consider this as an invitation to an argument<>counter-argument discussion. Literally everyone knows that you can do whatever you want with this project. Just take a moment to deeply consider, in a fruitful way, that just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's right or that you should do it. Listen to your supporters. They are also part of this project.

hrimthyrs

May 6, 2020

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
I'm older, familiar with how software projects fail and VERY VERY familiar with this attitude. It's not healthy for you, us or the product. I literally hope you just see this and not respond, just think, really think about what I'm saying.

As sure as you being unable to properly operate without shelter, food & love, this project cannot exist without its supporters. Taking arbitrary decisions is BAD for supporters as a whole. You will always have sycophants but they are marginal and not what I'm talking about, they are not the ones feeding you the bulk of money. By inserting so much time between releases you artificially limit your supporter mass for literally no good reason. What is most likely you're doing, is you're overcompensating for some failure you "know" you have "in your blood" to get things done efficiently, by being a perfectionist and making sure the product is beyond reproach even though it's late (or at least I prefer to think about it like that because in the alternative you're no longer the nice guy). Don't do that, it's a sure fire way to soon burden yourself with more than you can take. And then what? We don't want what comes next in this case. Don't doubt that this leads to a dead end. You are human and you have HARD limits that you must actively manage.

Notice those reasons you give, notice the pattern. You retreat in this argument of "artistic integrity". You're a hero, who works night & day for EXACTLY his vision and everyone else can go to Hell if they don't like it and you'll be following them soon after wearing this shiny thing you made for you. FUCK THAT. Don't think like that. Most of your supporters care about the product and, at the very least by extension, they care about you. There is no good reason to alienate them like that.

I don't know how much you kept up with Summertime Saga, but a VERY similar problem led to a complete derailment of that project. I'll explain it a bit, maybe you can better see the problem when it's outside, even though it differs in detail. First, years ago, it was an "executive" decision (just like yours) to keep the "artistic expression" free so DC reserved the right to keep changing the game everywhere with each new release. This impacted both the code base and the existing assets (images) because an ever increasing chunk of time from every release was spent with retouching old assets and code paths. In turn, this led to a catastrophic inability to make saves work across releases (i.e. to be able to resume play in vNext using old saves from vPrevious) because the decision worked directly against how Ren'Py games are supposed to work. It was a monumentally stupid decision taken with 100% arrogance just because the dev could. Was it fair to his supporters? No. Absolutely not. Supporters were expecting a story that goes somewhere and instead they got something that only goes towards the next paycheck. And with SS the arrogance didn't stop there, there was more, much MUCH more. The dev promised a "Tech Update" that was supposed to be done in about 8 months, to upgrade the game resolution and improve the code base a little. 2 years later they simulate work being done every few days by posting wallpapers, the promise has not been met and the project is falling apart. This is where arrogance leads (though I fully expect that in DC's case there is also a pure desire to simply exploit his supporters and his unexpected success for however long it may last).

I have no reason to suspect you're not doing what you're saying. But you have to deliver more often NO. MATTER. WHAT. It will most certainly be good for everyone, you, us and the project, including your artistic vision, I'm ABSOLUTELY certain. Between delivering once every 1-2 months and once every 18 months there's the mother of all middle grounds. Every 8-12 months is a LOT better than this situation. You most certainly can split the story to fit and I guarantee you this way will get you more supporters and we are essential to this project becoming greater. No matter how great a vision you have, if you have a health problem or you don't have food or shelter, your vision doesn't matter, it won't become more than something that will barely keep you warm, if even that. It's the same with this project. If it's not properly sustained by the most people that it can attract, the project will just fizzle out and die. I know we DO NOT want that and I hope you realize you're the key in this equation because if you keep deluding yourself that you'll pull it through somehow and that's all that matters, we're all fucked.

Again, don't consider this as an invitation to an argument<>counter-argument discussion. Literally everyone knows that you can do whatever you want with this project. Just take a moment to deeply consider, in a fruitful way, that just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's right or that you should do it. Listen to your supporters. They are also part of this project.
I've been professionally involved with software development since the 1980s and everything you offered above is either inapplicable to the context of this game or has nothing specifically to do with software development projects.

You are pining about business practices and your context + comparisons here are completely lost by not considering facts on the ground. You're raising either general warnings which don't apply to this Dev's situation or making comparisons with other games where the styles of development, communications, release management and project scope are highly dissimilar. Different projects and stakeholders tend to require their own combination of business, project and technical processes+tools. This is fundamental to software projects, especially in the games space.

Losing track of actual issues that can be prioritized and managed, as ironically exemplified by your post, IS a key issue in software development projects.

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
And other devs just posting pics and other bullshit on Patreon without ever developing the game. It's been abused. At the point of 18 months it's by any sane standard Too Long Between Updates.

Reactions: standbygames

Biscardone

May 2, 2020
I won't dwell too much on the "technical" side of things because, as fried said, you're comparing apples to pears, and most of what you said does not apply in any way to the development of this game. As for the rest, I only have a remark. Read your post back: it's chock full of entitlement ("we" know what's objectively best), passive-aggressive (if so, you're no longer the good guy), condescending and insulting to the dev (you're being a perfectionist, and way worse), and of objectionable absolutes (CAPITALIZATION). And last but not least, "don't answer, deep down we both know I'm right", which really comments itself. Do you really think that this is really going to make naughtyroad reflect on the supposed error of his ways? In the best case, you're going to annoy him, irrespective to the point of the discussion.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

This site has a
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

fiona12345

Nov 18, 2022

With all the things you said, it's clear that you have not been here long enough to understand NR's vision and passion for LOML. The donations are voluntary, and he sees it as a gift rather than as an income.

And him being here, posting the VN for free, and interacting with us speaks of how he values LOML..

P.S. this is a new account., I've been here since Chapter 1...

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 487 Votes