Others Abandoned Lily's bizarre adventure [Act 1 v2] [PontiffPomelo]

PontiffPomelo

Jun 5, 2020
header.png

Overview:
Hi,
This is the first version of my new top-down RPG made in Godot.
My goal is to make it similar, but not like the other ones . Quirky if you will.

The game is about a young woman in a dystopian magical world.
Her 20th birthday was supposed to be the happiest day of her life. But instead, she loses everything, only for her to travel back in time to the morning of this fateful day.
This is the story of Lily as she struggles against the authorities that try to keep her confined to her station.
It's a story about freedom.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thread Updated: 2020-10-01
Release Date: 2020-10-01
Developer: Pontiff Pomelo
Censored: No
Version: Act1 v2
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

Controls:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux
:

new_screenshot1.png new_screenshot3.png new_screenshot2.png new_screenshot4.png header.png

Last edited:

PontiffPomelo

Jun 5, 2020
(Edit)
The first version of this game was released with traced placeholder art. The next few comments are by people who are rightfully upset. The new version no longer contains the same face, and Act2 will clear up some of the remaining similarities in the body, though those should be much less egregious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabaw and Igneel1

Igneel1

The Slayer's Time Is Now
Game Compressor
Jul 1, 2017
U can always look at any games in the LU section and compare it for reference in the future..If u have any doubts just ask a mod, they will help u out !

PontiffPomelo

Jun 5, 2020
1601568633627.png
If this is the amount of works it takes to "steal" nowadays, then yes, it's stolen ^^
Way too "inspired" by the original? Yes, absolutely. Stolen, no. I even acknowledged the fact in the dev notes. I just didn't remember where the original was from.

EDIT : Having calmed down a bit now, let's be real here. At no point in time was a single pixel from the original work copied into mine. At the same time I started this entire project with the face, and 0 experience in 2d design. I literally traced large parts of the head, only feeling confident enough to try it freely when I got to the body. In retrospect, I consider that stealing, and I am fixing it at this moment. I still want to keep the same style, particularly the eyes and nose, but I'll redo it without tracing, and will try to use all the insights I gained while tracing to create something similar, but original.

Last edited:

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
'Heavily inspired' and 'stolen' are pretty close these days. That being said, it DOES look extremely close to the Rodinka bit.

Also, I don't know any of the techno mamba-jumbo shown in your screenshot and I don't know what program it is, but it really isn't that 'hard' to steal this particular style if you're an experienced illustrator. It takes like, several hours tops with a decent artist on photoshop/paintoolSAI.

Obv, I don't know your level of skill in anything so the jury's out on this one. I'll leave you and the author/artist of Rodinka to argue about the semantics. Not really my business.

PontiffPomelo

Jun 5, 2020
but its literally just rodinka with straight hair
I'm not an artist. All changes I kept making in the beginning made it look like crap. I created this early on to have something to develop the pose system and clothing system on. I didn't think people would mind so much, given that I explicitly mention it will change. Guess I will bump up changing the face from "in the next version" to "hotfix now".

Erik1986

Jul 5, 2017
Comparing the Rodinka version to this authors version, you must agree that while yes they look alike, there are key diferences non the less. So good work on the artwork dev, and dont let people pull you down for taking someone else his art as inspiration for a basic (alpha/beta) protag model.

As for the game, it seems interesting, especialy the Features anounced. Will try it out some time. Good luck.

I'm not an artist. All changes I kept making in the beginning made it look like crap. I created this early on to have something to develop the pose system and clothing system on. I didn't think people would mind so much, given that I explicitly mention it will change. Guess I will bump up changing the face from "in the next version" to "hotfix now".
PS: Dont let yourself be rushed, its fine to have some placeholder art until you feel confident you can make your own twist on it that looks just how you want. Just take your time with the design.

Reactions: Beggarman and m069

aigimilan

Oct 9, 2017
Comparing the Rodinka version to this authors version, you must agree that while yes they look alike, there are key diferences non the less.
Bullshit. Let's take two seconds in photoshop.
Here's Rodinka:

Here's this totally original art that was made in blender and not blatantly ripped off:

Here's the two of them on top of one another:

Identical. He changed the hair and added eyeliner. Identical otherwise.

Sesinho

Jan 3, 2020
I think everybody has point until you start comparing manga.There are some artists that have a characteristic style, and the rest is the same. There was someone who was the first "stealing"
As long as it improves and credits the owner...

I mean, theres a lot of Max, Lisa, and Eric in daz games :LOL:

Reactions: terrashock

PontiffPomelo

Jun 5, 2020
Bullshit. Let's take two seconds in photoshop.
Here's Rodinka:

Here's this totally original art that was made in blender and not blatantly ripped off:

Here's the two of them on top of one another:

Identical. He changed the hair and added eyeliner. Identical otherwise.
I didn't even really change the hair either I think. I've tried to take down this thread after the negative feedback, but I don't seem able to. I thought people would focus on the story and game mechanics first, and I'd have time to hash out proper changes to the character later. My intention was never to permanently rip off the original, but to use it as a base to develop my own model off of, while still looking similarly good. I mean for god's sake, I could've at least recolored the eyes and hair.
I'm sorry to have offended you all. I've taken the Patreon down until this is fixed.

Vreejack

Oct 7, 2018
If you are using placeholder graphics then say so. People will calibrate what your added value is worth. If you try to get paid for someone else's work then you should expect vitriol. People tend to do a good job policing that, and it protects you as well.