4.80 star(s) 13 Votes

ArhraCole

Apr 24, 2020

This game still needs a couple episodes to breathe and fully come into its own. The MC is very cliche and boring so far for example. I struggle with deciding how much personality he should have vs being a blank slate...

Honestly, I think that sounds like a very good driving force for him and choices to make through the game. As he begins to remember or find out more about his past self, he would have to make choices to decide if he wants to go back to those ways and that version of himself, in the meantime he also has to fight with his prior alcoholism (and subsequent susceptibility to becoming that again (so far it seems like he is slipping back into that mode automatically without input from the player) and there's the thread of the promise from the snake in the very beginning which I am going to guess is the player behind the MC's eyes responsibility (since he doesn't seem to be fully consciously aware of it).

And on that note.... more please, I have 6 events left for this version and this is absolutely not enough. And while the auto progress to missing scene and the book showing up are fantastic for getting to new content something like what another renpy koikatsu game called High School Tutor does with putting a list of characters and scenes (all types) available and yet to be found would be awesome for replay-ability (without having to have 1000 save files to repeat the ones we want to see again) and for showing us who and what we might be missing still.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to finding out more about each girls inner demons and how we're going to save each of them from said demons. (y)

(edited for incorrect word (changed away to aware like it was supposed to be)

Last edited:

jamyong

Jun 9, 2022
I was really starting to get cautious the more I realized this was going to be a sandbox. The tag wasn't there so I was excited when I first started reading. I'm pleasantly surprised by how it was handled though. The "see who's around" button is great and the skip button to go to the next event is much appreciated.

Also a big fan of the flavor variability in repeatable events.

For what is, at this point in development, not the most groundbreaking story and characters ever, those mechanics and quality of life improvements have def ensured that I'll be playing every update.

ToadSlayer776

Jul 27, 2019
Don't know if you're still looking for criticism, or advice, but I'll leave you with my thoughts.

(please excuse, any spelling or grammatic errors)

You have a pretty charming cast of characters, I'm interested in how you use the medium you have to tell a story, and hopefully, in a more mature story than most games of this nature tend to lean towards. Know that you can be serious without being gritty, though it's ultimately your choice, I hope you can see there are other ways of getting people to think about their choices and the implications of said choices, without breaking the characters both figuratively and literally. Side tangent I know we are talking about a game containing smut but personally love is a whole lot better than lust, but maybe I am just desensitized to sex, time does that to people. Another thing I understand it's called Love and Evil Things. I would like to see the dynamic in the choices; as of the start it is really just a choice between being a decent flawed human being, or an apathetic excuse of a human. Later on things seem to be a little better in that regard, though ultimately if given the opportunity I'd always choose the objectively nice option. I saw you mentioned something about not knowing what you want from the MC, I get that, if you ask me I'd say having a character BE a character and not just a fill in or a blank slate is best for narrative. Really you just need to connect your character to the story and reflect that with the choices of the player. We don't need to always agree with him, but we do need to understand him. If you were to ask me, I'd say you are doing a good job at that currently.

Writing wise things are great-ish. I enjoy the silly moments, allowing us the readers to breathe and get acquainted was a great feature. I understand you could've just jumped straight to the horror, in some form or another. Having hints of that horror was a nice touch and adding the pieces together as the story progressed was entertaining. Though I do feel that you sort of fumbled the ball with that whole Nobuko thing, mostly I don't feel too much for her. Maybe others are a little more caring than me, but I can't just seem to pull myself to feel for her other than what my natural empathy offers. But I think there are things I can draw onto, like the similarity of our situations. The MC seems to have trauma, and is currently having a battle for their soul, without being aware of said battle. Whereas Nobuko is more aware, and is currently being haunted by it, quite literally with her being dragged god knows where. I see the connections, but that may just be because of my background. Other than that the story is doing well for now, maybe that's because it has had some time to bake in the oven. If that's the case, I'd say keep doing that, meditate on your works before you send it out into the universe.

I love your work, it's nice being able to build that relationship between characters, especially in a medium that typically doesn't give two hoots about that. But I do. I know you have plans for your work, I hope you can see that through, and if nothing else I pray you can learn from this experience, and may it further you as an individual. God bless you.

P.S Chiyo is my favorite. I love that little gum drop. Please don't hurt her, my heart bleeds for them, and it'd fucking eat at me (that can be said for most of those little rays of sunshine).

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
Don't know if you're still looking for criticism, or advice, but I'll leave you with my thoughts.

Know that you can be serious without being gritty, though it's ultimately your choice, I hope you can see there are other ways of getting people to think about their choices and the implications of said choices, without breaking the characters both figuratively and literally.

Though I do feel that you sort of fumbled the ball with that whole Nobuko thing, mostly I don't feel too much for her.

P.S Chiyo is my favorite. I love that little gum drop. Please don't hurt her, my heart bleeds for them, and it'd fucking eat at me (that can be said for most of those little rays of sunshine).
Nobuko's story is yet to be told. Just remember that if I had actually given her a bunch of acts and then "killed" her I would've had a riot on my hands if she was remotely interesting.

Chiyo is indeed an adorable 'lil muffin. Her story is one of my personal favorites and I think people will thoroughly enjoy it.

I don't want to give too much away at this stage in terms of the evil content and the decisions you'll make. But my style leans more towards realistic issues that girls would deal with while growing up, instead of the fantastical or edgy. That said, the girls will indeed face evil things, and maybe even prevail. Perhaps, it depends on you.

ToadSlayer776

Jul 27, 2019
Nobuko's story is yet to be told. Just remember that if I had actually given her a bunch of acts and then "killed" her I would've had a riot on my hands if she was remotely interesting.

Chiyo is indeed an adorable 'lil muffin. Her story is one of my personal favorites and I think people will thoroughly enjoy it.

I don't want to give too much away at this stage in terms of the evil content and the decisions you'll make. But my style leans more towards realistic issues that girls would deal with while growing up, instead of the fantastical or edgy. That said, the girls will indeed face evil things, and maybe even prevail. Perhaps, it depends on you.
I see, appologies if I came off as vague, just thought Nobuko went to the shadow realm or hell, or something in the same vein. As I said earlier, I just find it hard to be to emotionaly attatched to this percieved loss. Regarding evil content, thats my bad, I had assumed that it would air more on the literal side, like love being forgiving and patient, and evil being the opposite of that or as I reffered to it as apathy. And the players choices, when prompted, would define that. In hindsight you did preface the story to address what these 'Evil things' are. I do like where you appear to be headed, people go through struggles all the time, what matters is support. I do appreciate you responding and addressing some of my grievance's.

Reactions: LaETDev

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
I see, appologies if I came off as vague, just thought Nobuko went to the shadow realm or hell, or something in the same vein. As I said earlier, I just find it hard to be to emotionaly attatched to this percieved loss. Regarding evil content, thats my bad, I had assumed that it would air more on the literal side, like love being forgiving and patient, and evil being the opposite of that or as I reffered to it as apathy. And the players choices, when prompted, would define that. In hindsight you did preface the story to address what these 'Evil things' are. I do like where you appear to be headed, people go through struggles all the time, what matters is support. I do appreciate you responding and addressing some of my grievance's.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ArhraCole

Apr 24, 2020
I sort of had a different impression; I thought the serpent spirit thing wanted to eat the other bad spirits (dark presences or whatever the evil things are) and made some sort of deal to get what it wants. To what end no clue, but so far it doesn't seem like it's gotten what it wants yet. In the meantime there may be more than one evil thing out there affecting people. I think when we see the characters shift their expressions and feelings drastically mid scene that's a sign something or some form of trauma is haunting them in a way. And sooner or later given the title there will have to be a counter to all of that: Love. But that's just my theory. I could be completely off base.

As far as what you described for Kumi and Mei... Sounds like fun to me, hope that idea gets used at some point. (y)

Tracer Scythe

Sep 5, 2020
I have no idea what urm is and I don't care if people use it. Send me a link to it and your save file in a DM and I can probably figure out why my game would crash with it.

The only walkthrough required for this game is to always pick the first option pretty much, the options in this episode basically just let you decide if you like the girl or not. If you don't you can turn her off.

At the start of the next episode I'll put a message right at the start to let people confirm their choices of they turned a girl off accidentally.

Edit: I'll try to solve this URM thing tomorrow. Looks like it'll take some debugging.

Edit: I figured it out. I'll post a fixed version when I wake up. Looks like it'll require a new save unfortunately (for people who want to use URM).
So far through my playthrough, minus a couple spelling errors here and there, I've found unless it becomes more "sandbox" there is really no need for URM which is a univeral renpy mod that can tweak in game stuff like money, affection points and so forth. I do have a quick question, I'm presently up to Kumi on the bench when the "girls" in the lunch room stopped talking and gave you a strange look... It doesn't always happen, but now and again there is a sound like a piano-key when you make a selection, is that for all choices or just random ones through the game thus far?

ArhraCole

Apr 24, 2020
Yeah I was wondering about the piano key notes as well.

I think it also plays when you load a save file yeah?

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
Yeah I was wondering about the piano key notes as well.

I think it also plays when you load a save file yeah?
Oh crap I forgot about that entirely... It should only play during important decisions that could end friendships with the girls. I'll fix that. I'll also remove it from the load event.

Edit: Fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: ArhraCole

Crowangel

Dec 12, 2021
LaETDev Loved the work so far.. not a fan of sandbox like most but its used minimalistic here and in a way i wish most would that still lets you enjoy the scenes and story without too much wandering.. Those complaining are prob just the ones who see a sandbox tag and assume you gonna be blindly searching a map for what to do next.. This here is managed well and is Sandbox-Lite if anything so its far better and closer to full VN style.. Love the humor and that resturant groin kick and then fork stab scene literally floord me with laughter.. im talking tears rolling down face.. nose snorting.. gut wobbling laughter.. I may not be far enough in yet (just had the Kumi footjob under cafe table scene) but i'm not seeing much of the horror unless thats a slow burn portion to the game.. Either way.. great job and cant wait to complete the current build and await more

LaETDev

Game Developer
Dec 23, 2017
LaETDev Loved the work so far..

i'm not seeing much of the horror unless thats a slow burn portion to the game.. Either way.. great job and cant wait to complete the current build and await more
Glad you like it.

Y'all ain't seen nothin' yet in terms of the horror content I plan to infuse into this. It'll be a few episodes before that kicks into full gear. The girls are still happy, let's have them be happy for a bit.

Happiness is so fleeting, we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
Glad you like it.

Y'all ain't seen nothin' yet in terms of the horrors I plan to infuse into this. It'll be a few episodes before that kicks into full gear. The girls are still happy, let's have them be happy for a bit.

...and that should give us a chance to bang them before they get sucked down to hell or whatever.

• Haha

Crowangel

Dec 12, 2021
Glad you like it.

Y'all ain't seen nothin' yet in terms of the horrors I plan to infuse into this. It'll be a few episodes before that kicks into full gear. The girls are still happy, let's have them be happy for a bit.

when they started talking about nightmares etc i kinda got stranger things season 4 vibes.. Like they were gonna be victims to a Vekna-esq horror.. or freddy kruger dream master type of horror

• Thinking Face

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Is it just me or are there like no choices outside of a general "Hey are you interested in this LI?". The MC also seems to want to go after girls on his own, has me a little worried about the level of player agency in this. It feels very, very kinetic.

ToadSlayer776

Jul 27, 2019
I dont think the snake is some sort of 'god' i think it is more Abrahamic, that being a deceiver and a great evil, whichever word you wish to refer to him as. I think even it's symbolic with his apperance he's a snake on a great withered tree, and he refers to humans as fruits. And refers to an old evil, and if you are a follower of abrahamic religions that is often considered when sin was originally introduced into the world via the 'fruit'.

The way I read it is, the snake wants you to bring the other characters into despair, or allow the to suffer in their despair, that way he may 'feed' on them. The snake even claims that the MC has done that many times before, and judging from what other characters tell him about his past, the MC seems to be a bit on the calous side. I think thats what the snake wants, more tragedy, and that may be the only reason he went after Noboku, because we left her alone. I want to say that is why he made us black out, because she was closest to his influence. Though the snake also tells us to seek out the darkness, but that could mean several things in context to the story. I very well could be wrong, but it is within reason. I don't exactly remember when the headaches occur, I do know that at least two of them happen after speaking with the snake. Maybe the snake wants us to get hole, but without our emotions attached. Use the girls as objects, so to speak.

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes