Love of Magic [DROID]- Development Thread [Build Available]

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I started a new game after the update to do another playthrough.
I am on day 19 and have not been able to attend ONE class at all, there is no prompt, no option, when I go to the university there is only an exit waiting for me to go to the world map.
On the many days off I have, I keep trying to go to the basement into the portal, but I am stopped continuously with the MC saying we need to attend more classes first....great so how DO we then?
That's *really* strange. Could you pass me the savegame?
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Droid Productions\Love of Magic
Just zip up that whole folder, and I'll have a look.

Which version are you playing?

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
I just spent all of this time trying to find the file you need me to send but cant find it, and I am playing the updated 03.4

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I just spent all of this time trying to find the file you need me to send but cant find it, and I am playing the updated 03.4
Okay, there's a bug from the shower that might be throwing you. 0.3.7 is uploading now, probably worth getting that. I think we're almost ready for launch in time for the weekend.

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
AH, showering is what I always do in the game to finish the day.
So until the 0.3.7 update is out, should I restart a new game and never shower?
(That sounded disgusting when I read it again btw)
Oh, and why does the MC NEVER call his mother, not even to tell her he has arrived, OH and there is a scene I think I am missing with Olivia and Cloe, where Olivia is being a stuck up bitch to her?
I remember that from my first playthrough and found it odd to have a conversation with Olivia about it with zero knowledge of the fact.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
AH, showering is what I always do in the game to finish the day.
So until the 0.3.7 update is out, should I restart a new game and never shower?
(That sounded disgusting when I read it again btw)
Oh, and why does the MC NEVER call his mother, not even to tell her he has arrived, OH and there is a scene I think I am missing with Olivia and Cloe, where Olivia is being a stuck up bitch to her?
I remember that from my first playthrough and found it odd to have a conversation with Olivia about it with zero knowledge of the fact.
Shower should now work fine. But you probably want a fresh play-through, since you've missed all the classes :)

Calling home has been a long-desired feature... I'll try to add it for the update after Act III (right now it's just bug-fixing, so I don't accidentally break something new). Molly/Chloe is referenced only in the Starcucks event where you talk to her about the bartenders and barristas. I probably should put it on the timeline and do a real interaction.

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
I have a few things to post.
I FINALLY got to see something happen with the Olivia thread, but I seem to be stuck after Sarah closed down the portal, she is still standing there as if waiting for me to talk to her, but I cannot click on her.
I can go up to the library and see Olivia again, but it's like nothing ever happened.
AND I was hoping for a romance (or some sort of physical) arc with her long before now, but maybe I missed some previous steps along the way.

Now then, on to the speculation part of the theorem, I have the distinct feeling that history repeated itself in a way with Emily's parents, as in father became jealous over the affair his wife was having with a certain red-headed hot-blooded evoker descendant of Katie, and summoned or recruited a very large dragon, which in turn BBQed a pair of unfaithful companions (like Guinevere and Lancelot you see) but that's just a theory....a GAME THEORY...AAAAAAND CUT!

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I have a few things to post.
I FINALLY got to see something happen with the Olivia thread, but I seem to be stuck after Sarah closed down the portal, she is still standing there as if waiting for me to talk to her, but I cannot click on her.
I can go up to the library and see Olivia again, but it's like nothing ever happened.
AND I was hoping for a romance (or some sort of physical) arc with her long before now, but maybe I missed some previous steps along the way.
Olivia's never a 'romance' object, she's a bit too dense to fit into the harem. The core group is essentially the new Companions of the Round table... Olivia has no place there :)

kratosking

May 17, 2020
Official F95 thread is here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/love-of-magic-v0-1-24a-droid-productions.41188/

Overview
After finishing up Making Movies, I decided to start a new project, called Love of Magic. Since I wanted to make a slightly longer initial release, I thought I'd set up a thread about development thoughts and updates, just to document things for myself and anyone interested. When I get closer to the actual first release, I'd love to hear from people interested in testing.

Love of Magic can best be described as Persona 5 meets Harry Potter (or at least Harry Dresden); it combines a sandbox /VN game (similar to Making Movies) with turn-based magical combat in a dungeon environment, inspired by an old mobile game,

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Art
I had a specific style in Making Movies, driven partially by choice of tools and partially by style. Since I'm building Love of Magic from a similar foundation, some of the choices remain the same. Environments remain as 2D photos (licensed from Shutterstock), rendered on a 3D quad. On top of that I render the characters, animated using

Making Movies used Honey Select for rendering the models, and as such there was no option for a Patreon or other donations. For Love of Magic I've switched to DAZ, and thought I might try setting up a Patreon at some point. Unlike Making Movies I also decided to make the portraits animating, because obviously this wasn't enough work on its own.

Signatures
For fun I decided to create some signatures, using Krull's . I'll update this as I add more

I'll keep updating this page as I work on the game, feel free to ask any questions about tech, design, or bounce ideas off me :)

Droid.
Time to fap

Mattyrhymes

Oct 18, 2018
Hey, I'm really enjoying the game. I seem to have a glitch where there is always a wraith in the basement and I can't go through the portal to elsewhere

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Hey, I'm really enjoying the game. I seem to have a glitch where there is always a wraith in the basement and I can't go through the portal to elsewhere
If you grab latest beta, that issue's fixed:
Win32: Win64: OSX: Linux: Android:

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Hey guys just a question as I saw this game on Steam - is it complicated to get into / learn how to play? Thanks.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Hey guys just a question as I saw this game on Steam - is it complicated to get into / learn how to play? Thanks.
Nope; the poker combat is easy to get into; there's visual hints if you can't see the poker hands, and there's a button called Auto which will auto-play, if you prefer that. There's also different difficulties.

Reactions: Razrback16

JMINATL

Aug 25, 2018
It's a visual novel with sandboxing. Very story rich (modern day Arthurian fantasy swords and sorcery) with various sidequests and events. Combat mechanics at a base level aren't bad, it isn't timed/reflex based. if you feel like devoting some thought to your combat you can increase your effectiveness significantly, but it isn't really required if you don't want to. You can mouse the whole thing, or use the keyboard to speed some bits up.

I agree with Wolf Plays above, I'm not a fan of Unity usually (ren'py is life), but the dev has done a great job with it so not hating on it for that :cool:
1609118490597.png