• 4. Good

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 5. Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 14, 2022
I always skip over 5 star reviews.
I find that 3 stars tent to accauly give me usefull intel.
Sometimes i read 5 stars when they have a pro and con list.

In my opinion:
If you can not say anything bad about the game you are lacking the skills to post a review.
Every game has its flaws.
And if you ignore the flaws and only praise then you just look like an moron without the ability to reason.
Unworthy of my time, attention and likes.

Even something as simple as:
Lab rats 2 is a great game with great gameplay.
It has many different options.
It got corruption down to a Thee.
But i dont really think drugging people into being subserviance shoud have the mind control tag.
Also all sex is simi consensial(as in the worst that can happen if that they say they dont want to before going full fuck me master, making it sound more like playfull teasing then accualy rape)
The game is also quiet grindy(It doesnt bother me much but i gotten good at the game, When your new expect quiet a few restarts)
And the random woman arent interesting so stick to the story characters.

Is worth a lot more then:
This game is awesome.
The woman and hot and the sex is great.

People like me read reviews to get information that the main page doesnt show.
Same with steam.
I read the store, then the reviews, then the forums.
I have been burned to many times by crappy games to waste my time on crap.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
If I take one of the games in your signature, which I love btw, as and example and I check the first reviews. I find most of them useful.
Even if they are, that's just the luck of the draw. Or a certain game attracting more high quality reviews. If you stake your claim on the ~20 most recent reviews you're bound to be disappointed more often than not. Especially when it comes to really popular games that get more reviews.

(e: holy crap I just opened the spoiler tag =D The Theater worth mentioning ? I should have taken my own game as an example then =) )
giphy.gif

Well technically thats more because too many reviewers fail to follow the guidelines, I don't blame the system I blame people that can't follow the rules and write reviews here like they write steam reviews.

Many if not all points mentioned by OP are in fact against the guidelines for reviewing a game, the community just needs to report such reviews with more frequency, this way poor reviews are removed and only the helpful ones are left.
You can write reviews that are completely useless and totally within the "guidelines." You can also break the guidelines as long as you don't rate the game badly, because nobody is going through shitty 5 star reviews and reporting them. The only way reviews get reported is if you give a game a low rating and a fanboy reports you. That is how the system works. Unless you want to become a volunteer janitor who doesn't even get a badge and go through reviews and narc on people.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Copy Steam.

Users can up-vote good reviews, which get filtered to to top.
What would just move the problem.
Have you seen the number of like a "yeah love it, I nutted at 3 meters while playing this game, 10/5 stars" review can get ?

Of course it would do some cleanup, putting down all reviews so generic that they got no likes. But for games that have a big fan base, it would also hide partial reviews that dare to tell the truth and present the game as the average thing it really is. And like those reviews would be sent down the pit really fast, no one impartial would be there to save them, because only the most furious fan boys would have seen them.
This kind of approach can not works on a forum where, time to time, moderators have to face a war between fan boys of this or that game. And in fact this kind of approach do not works at all ; there's a reason why most sites have a limit in the number of review you can write daily, and the number of votes you can use hourly/daily.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Is it just me or do the vast majority of the reviews here on f95 suck?

Bad review bingo checklist:
  • New account (free space)
  • Filler text to get 200 characters
  • Says nothing about game itself
  • "ShOwS a LoT oF pOtEnTiAl"
  • Go0d Grammer & Speling
  • Only talks about the kinks
  • Literal bot
  • "X game is better/worse"
  • Few other posts
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Report these. We'll delete them.

I personally spend a few hours every week doing just that (and the other moderators are more efficient than me). "Filler text to get 200 characters"? I copy the review to Notepad++ and count the letters, deleting irrelevant sentences (such as "ShOwS a LoT oF pOtEnTiAl"). "Says nothing about game itself"? That's the exact warning message I'll send to the reviewer. Etc.

Note, though, that some reviews are mixed bags but are still legitimate: they may contain bad grammar, spelling mistakes, incoherent rambling but still have a legitimate review in them and those we tend to keep. Again: if I'm not sure I'll copy the review to Notepad and delete the incoherent rambling and see what's left. Many people are not fluent in English, they should not be punished for it.

As with everything else, we try to balance open communication with keeping this site from turning into a huge garbage dump ,and the line between the two is not always clear.

And personally: as a player I tend to rely on the review system.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
because nobody is going through shitty 5 star reviews and reporting them.
That's the issue, more people should be reporting them, moderators act mostly on reports and don't have time to check every single game thread daily.

Everyone that cares about review quality should be reporting low quality reviews regardless of the rating given. This both cleans the review section as well as inform players posting shitty reviews that they should follow the rules.

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
It´s a mixture between 1 and 2 mostly on 5 Star ratings because often times people just give 5 stars because they like one thing and ignore all the other crap or they are fanboys for the Dev and/or support the game financially.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
I played some Games that had great Ratings and was shocked what fucking garbage I played. Its either just bots/fakeaccounts that rate their own Game or IDK, stupid people.

I only look at rating if it has a lot of them, because then the haters and bots/trolls cancel each other out.

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
I played some Games that had great Ratings and was shocked what fucking garbage I played. Its either just bots/fakeaccounts that rate their own Game or IDK, stupid people.

I only look at rating if it has a lot of them, because then the haters and bots/trolls cancel each other out.
I lean towards assuming they're stupid people. A lot of those garbage 5 star reviews are on early builds of games praising the "potential" as if they think the dev will be encouraged to finish the game if they praise the concept hard enough.

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
Many interesting thoughts have already been voiced in this thread, but I probably won't be able to answer all the thoughts that have been expressed here, so I'll just write about one more suggestion that came to my mind.

I remember my first review was written when I had about 80 posts on this forum. If I remember correctly, I was giving a 5 star rating to the Fashion Business at the time. And frankly, my opinion drastically changed during development of this game, but I still couldn't find time to actually rewrite my review to up to my current opinion of this game. As is already said here, people rarely change the reviews during the time, and it might be a problem that will require some solution to filter them.

The idea of ♍VoidTraveler is close to me:
I'd say block review rights to everyone who doesn't have at least 1-5k likes and 1k messages.
But I would set the threshold for writing reviews to 100 posts and without "likes" threshold (or make it around 100 as well). Even that number would be enough to tell that a person hasn't just moved into the adult gaming and started writing reviews on every game they liked. Like in some reviews where people outright tell that this is almost their first game on this site. Of course, it's not a panacea, but this solution will have one nice effect, it might encourage people to be more active on the forum, which will contribute to the growth of our community of degenerates.

In general, I've always tried to stick to some sort of outline in my reviews, describing the strengths and weaknesses of the game. If a game has a particular fetish that I dislike, I either don't mention it and wrote about those that I liked, or said that despite its presence it did not affect the final score, because that would be too subjective. Usually, if I don't like a game just because of a fetish, its type or something like that, I just pass by because the game just isn't for me. Why would I lower their rating just because of it? But if the game fits the genre and fetishes I prefer and I don't like this game, when I will be destroying it in the review (Of course, without being overly emotional).

I also would like to add what came to my mind the last time I wrote here. If anyone has ever created a post in the request section, they know that when they click on the post creation button, a form to be filled in automatically appears in the post-entry window. It contains such things as: author's website, game version, language, link etc.
I think a similar system could be transferred to reviews. This form could name various elements of the game like: story, characters, writing, quality of art and animations, fetishes representation, conclusion. Again, it's not a solution to the problem, but it might be useful for those who have a weak imagination. And of course, this form easily can be deleted if user has its own preferences to write reviews.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
"Likes" should never be considered as a threshold for anything. :unsure:
This is neither a popularity contest, nor do users have (real) control over them.

Reactions: Ahsl

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
This is neither a popularity contest, nor do users have (real) control over them.
Well, I think I would agree about that. As for the thread that was mentioned by おい!
I simply missed it, when I was writing my post. My bad. Either way, I agree it might be a controversial suggestion, but the same thing used on many other forums all across the internet and it serves its purpose. I think our community is big enough to sacrifice some amount of reviews in order to filter the very newcomers, who most likely not played that many games, so they don't have something to compare it to and write a review based on their experience. I think 20 posts would be optimal. What do you think?

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I think 20 posts would be optimal. What do you think?
I say 10k post, then we know that the reviews comes form soild member of this forum and not from some passing by....
More seriously:
If minimum posting requirement should be implemented, then we would first need to know how the distribution of user groups and review types are linked. Othewise a requirement would be just as useless as the lot of 5* great game, shows potential and the 1* the NTR my wife game has NTR in it.

Also, the forum is not a place where majority, democracy, freedom of speech or so means anything. It is, although a very big, private hosted forum, where only Sam and his staff say what goes and how and what doesn' go.
And last but not least, from what I've heard the review addon they use for this forum is flawed at best. So, for a long time, they want to replace this addon with a custom made one - what needs time and manpower, both I assume they are lacking. Thus, at the current time, I wouldn't be surprised that this addon wouldn't even have the support for such a feature. Furthermore the "coming" change in the review addon means that very few new feature or change are done to the current review addon.

Reactions: SharkVampire

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Why not?
I'd rather see reviews by the popular boys/gals rather than some nobodies.
With messages on the counter you'll know that the person actually spent some time around here, and with likes you'll know that what they say carries at least some merit with which people tend to agree. :whistle::coffee:

CaptainBipto

Sep 20, 2018
I also would like to add what came to my mind the last time I wrote here. If anyone has ever created a post in the request section, they know that when they click on the post creation button, a form to be filled in automatically appears in the post-entry window. It contains such things as: author's website, game version, language, link etc.
I think a similar system could be transferred to reviews. This form could name various elements of the game like: story, characters, writing, quality of art and animations, fetishes representation, conclusion. Again, it's not a solution to the problem, but it might be useful for those who have a weak imagination. And of course, this form easily can be deleted if user has its own preferences to write reviews.
Of all the ideas and messages on this thread, this is the one idea I saw that actually seems like a good idea (to myself, at least).
I have written a total of 2 reviews since I joined here and the first one was more like the 'LOLS, GrEaT gAmE' people complain about, the other was a lot better, but it was from seeing other reviews that were following a 'list' of pros, cons, and thoughts style of layout.

Having a form to fill out would, at least, have people mention things they liked about the game, things they disliked about the game, overall thoughts about the themes/fetishes, story, and game play.
For people that want to write a good/decent/useful review, but don't really know where to start or what to say, having a form will give them an outline to follow and put down their thoughts in a coherent form.
For people that just want to 'lols, great game' or 'I 5-starred because of all the 1-stars', they will have to at least put forth some effort to fill out a form to get their 'review' posted.

I doubt there will be a 'perfect' way to handle reviews on this site but having a form might help those that want to give an honest review (whether is it 1, 3, or 5 stars).

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes