Moviebuff3000

Dec 9, 2017
To have said they took inspiration from Mass Effect is an understatement. The MC's personality is nowhere near anything like Shepherd. The MC seems more like a very immature Peter Quill, Star Lord from GOG.

Reactions: Harathorne

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I think it’s his face, everything he says or does is obnoxious. It’s that douchebag look that just makes me want to punch him.
He looks like a douchebag, is a greedy asshole, and is the reason for all of their problems... Other than that he's great.

I actually had to stop playing about halfway through the game (approximating) because I didn't want to play a greedy douchebag who wanders around fucking purple aliens (whether I want them to or not).

Like the fact that the game is sci-fi, always glad to see a well rendered game. Just not a fan of playing assholes, these games are supposed to be escapist fantasy after all.

LGM

Nov 22, 2018
I don't really know what to think about this one. I guess I'll leave some remarks...

Firstly, there are no real issues with grammar or spelling. I think I saw an "our" turned into an "out" somewhere, but that was pretty much it. Oh, and when April says toward the end of the current update "je ne ce quoi", that should be "sais", not "ce".

Now, let's get to the problems. The default font is missing the percent sign. It shows up in the script 2 or 3 times, and each time the missing percent sign serves only to confuse.

The renders do a rather poor job, in some of the more action-oriented scenes, to convey what is happening. For example, in the scuffle with Sora, the MC is seemingly just standing in front of her while the guards freak out, yelling at him to let her go, while he threatens to snap her neck, until the renders finally catch up and show us that he's supposed to have her in a leg-lock.
The other example, I'm not quite sure if it's a problem with the renders, or just with my expectations. I guess I was caught off guard by the meeting with the council happening in the hallway. Like, this is what we dressed up for? Alright then.

Lastly, the MC, who is the captain of our little operation, makes terrible decisions! How is this guy in charge of anything for more than a few minutes?! I'm not just talking about the obviously wrong decision to risk so much for just a bit more of the rock-stuff (after which he has the balls to think he was doing his crew a favor, and wonders why April is pissed). This guy finds himself captured and the first thing he does is antagonize his captors for no reason at all. Honestly, I don't even see much of a difference between the "Antagonize" and "Reason" choices; in both cases he talks shit and gets hit. Where's the choice to be smart, shut the fuck up, and wait for the right person to talk to?
I am 100% on April's side. This guy needs to turn on his brains some time.

Alright, with my rant about the MC over, I guess I can try to approach this a bit differently. Throughout my playthrough I found myself trying to counteract the MC's idiocy as much as I could, but in the end, there was just nothing I could do. I get that some things just have to happen a certain way for the story to unfold, but if most choices the player makes are more about how the MC does stuff, rather than what he does, it makes for a shallow experience.

(version 0.1.2d)

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

What?

Please tell me the writer knows how mass, gravity and atmosphere work...
The writer does understand that "pressure" from an atmosphere isn't what 'makes stuff heavy', right?

Also, the place where cargo is kept is called the hold.

edit:

Oh ffs, it gets worse.

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png

Looks like the writer doesn't know what 100 litres [litre - English. Liter - American English] is.

My Toyota Landcruiser holds more than that [130L]

And apparently the ship used 15 ...

I also own a boat and it's engine uses 140L per hour at full throttle/load and it is much smaller than a spaceship, so a spaceship should both use more fuel and have a lot more fuel capacity.

Screenshot_1.png

Why would it do that?

Newton's first law, look it up.

Screenshot_2.png

Unless the character actually says "WTF" [Don't do that, kids, don't speak like a moron.] type out all the words, else it makes you look like an idiot using colloquial text contractions such as "WTF or "OMG".
It's fine when you're typing an SMS or DM, it's not fine when you're writing a script.

Screenshot_3.png

This doesn't make sense, keeping [not playing] your cards close to your chest means you're keeping something secret or withholding information. Nowhere in that conversation was she keeping a secret or revealing a secret she had been keeping.

Screenshot_4.png

What? What does that mean?
Do you mean centimetres?

Screenshot_5.png

How would that happen?
I refer you again to Newton's first law.
Once they are in motion they wouldn't "fall back down" since there is no gravity to act upon their ship, they would just keep drifting.

Screenshot_6.png

It's pretty easy, just don't drink.
Only a moron imbibes logical-thought inhibiting substances in times of danger requiring life and death decision making.

I've been in several life and death situations, and not once have I thought "oh man, I want to make rational decision-making harder., Where's the bourbon?"

Well, I'm finished now, congrats on making a thoroughly unlikable MC.

Last edited:

LGM

Nov 22, 2018
Nice comment. I was hoping someone would pick apart some of the weird ideas the dev seems to have about physics.

Though in defense of the dev, the line:
Screenshot_4.png

is one of the lines suffering from the lack of a percent sign in the font (iirc). Of course, speaking in absolute numbers (100l), then switching to relative ones (15%), does not help us readers to understand the fuel situation, so it's still bad writing.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Nice comment. I was hoping someone would pick apart some of the weird ideas the dev seems to have about physics.

Though in defense of the dev, the line:
Screenshot_4.png

is one of the lines suffering from the lack of a percent sign in the font (iirc). Of course, speaking in absolute numbers (100l), then switching to relative ones (15%), does not help us readers to understand the fuel situation, so it's still bad writing.
If they only used 15% of the fuel, then it's still terrible because that means there is a lot of fuel left.

LGM

Nov 22, 2018
If they only used 15% of the fuel, then it's still terrible because that means there is a lot of fuel left.
Maybe so, but maybe not. IIRC, we don't know how much it took to get to the place, just that they used up 15% to stay in orbit during the operation. For all we know, they could have used up 35% to get there, then they'd need another 35% to get back, plus they used up those 15%, leaving only 15% wiggle-room as it stands...
My point is, we don't know enough to say for sure how good or bad the math is.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
adjusting "gravity" on board to earth standard gravitational pull by means of pressurisation would actually make sense

Uh no. Pressurization has nothing to do with relative gravity.
The ISS is both pressurized and in enough of Earth's gravity to be in orbit and still everyone and everything inside is both effectively weightless. [though not massless]
So it doesn't matter if they were in deep space or in a state of perpetual free-fall [orbit] around a body large enough to have gravity, both the ship and its contents were at relative rest and changing the atmosphere inside the ship wouldn't change that.

First off, he didn't specify the fuel. So you just assume the spaceship uses the same amount of fuel as your Toyota? You can also look for instance at the amount of fuel an ion engine uses.
No, you also don't seem to understand what a litre is.

It's a specific measure of volume, 1000 cubic centimetres to be precise. It doesn't matter what the fuel is, 100L is 100L.

And for maintaining orbit?
They weren't in orbit.
It was a remote asteroid field.

This would still depend on the mass and radius of the planet/star they are on.
It wasn't a planet, and you can't be on a star, you can't even be near a star, you'd vaporize long before getting close.
It was a recently mapped asteroid out in the middle of nowhere, which is why it hadn't yet been mined despite consisting of very high concentrations of an apparently valuable mineral.

If it had gravity of any meaningful amount, then all the other smaller asteroids nearby it would have crashed into it or have been drawn to its surface long ago.
But they hadn't and clearly weren't moving which is why the ship had to fly between them.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Either way, it feels like unnecessary bashing on a sci-fi game, for things that are not real or have not been invented yet or are perhaps even outside the scope of people who have not studied these areas. Then you should have the same reaction on every sci-fi game and then perhaps the genre is not for you?
It's not about being 'real' it's about being plausible or believable.

When writing fiction, science or otherwise, the writer has to enable the reader to maintain the 'suspension of disbelief'.

So, an example for this story would be saying "close the hatch but leave the gravity off until we finish moving the cargo" instead of saying not to pressurize.

He doesn't have to explain how the gravity is being generated and it will still enable the suspension of disbelief whereas saying something about pressurization makes anyone with any idea about this stuff break their immersion.

Same with the fuel.
He doesn't have to tell us what the fuel is, but the amount that a very large ship would carry Vs how much it uses per 'mission' has to be in the realm of believability.
A ship that size could easily be expected to very comfortably carry tonnes [or thousands of litres] of fuel for the mining rover, certainly enough to fill the entire cargo hold and still have an ample reserve.

Now these problems become compounded by having a very unlikable MC, that in itself already puts the ready in a bad mood and so other problems start to stand out more.

I never set out to "bash" on someone or their project, but if no one communicates the issues, as they see them, then how will a creator be able to reflect and iterate on their work in a quick and efficient way?

Just the other day I made a post about "Among the stars" pointing out things I think could be improved or that negatively impact the VN but I also commented that the story itself is quite good and noted the creator had made a good decision to take earlier feed-back and remove or modify a scene early in the game to make it appealing to a wider audience.
I even said a note should be made in the OP to let people know of this choice, so they don't get turned away by reading the first few pages, which are now outdated because the scene they complained about has now been modified.

Now obviously a creator is not required or obligated to heed any feed-back, critique or criticism, but if they do then often they can reflect and improve their work.

• Red Heart
Reactions: FatGiant

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
The developer has updated their UI and has a pretty decent Android version now, so I'm going to direct you to start using that one, as of the new remake.

Last edited:

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
It honestly just gets worse, apparently the entire crew are idiots, not just the MC.

We're supposed to believe that these fuck-ups are going to successfully execute an elite infiltration mission? Really?

Deleted member 2030943

Feb 16, 2020
I agree with others in the thread. The MC in this makes the game unbearable to play. If half the people are saying this...

The MC would be more tolerable if this were a comedy, but the story itself has a more serious tone so, there are some exceptations the MC isn't a walking disaster.

Good luck tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan Trumbull

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
I'd definitely suggest starting this over from the beginning. The MC got a complete overhaul for the better and the translation is much better as well. A rather huge rework.

Dev took a lot of what was said to heart and changed the MC to be more mature and casual instead of a complete jerk. Mad respect for doing that. They could of just kept going with what they had, but they changed it based on all the feedback. So yeah, props for listening to the community on that point and changing the MC for the better.

But yeah, overall, I like the rework and the new content. MC is much more enjoyable, as well as the other characters. He's more friendly to the crew now and after "shit hits the fan" because of his greed, he actually feels guilt for putting them all at risk. But yeah, all around I like it now. Definitely an improvement from before.

Thanks for your work, and looking forward to how this progress. ;)

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
I'd definitely suggest starting this over from the beginning. The MC got a complete overhaul for the better and the translation is much better as well. A rather huge rework.
Does he still leave the girls alone (or alone with Lucas) to go with the hooker? That was the scene that pissed me the most in the previous version... and there were a lot of those. That could be easily fixed and I hope it was.

KachanGOAT

Oct 24, 2022
Does he still leave the girls alone (or alone with Lucas) to go with the hooker? That was the scene that pissed me the most in the previous version... and there were a lot of those. That could be easily fixed and I hope it was.
That scene was reworked as well. You still get seduced by the lady of the night, mostly because you’re a drunk sad mope, but halfway through, before the sex scene, you realize that you’re an asshole for doing it and you can decide to go back to them.
I think the scene with the hooker was key to the action moving forward, upside is you get a nice normal scene with her afterward.
I feel appeased tbh, the MC is far more likable now.

3.20 star(s) 13 Votes