ukthrowaway69

Jun 17, 2020
Question: This art style looks incredibly familiar to an artist I knew a while back that made Roman memes, I think they mostly posted on facebook but not sure, seen them on reddit once. Anyone knows who I'm talking about?

phezq

Jul 31, 2021
LILITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, she used to look like she actually cared about the students now she looks like she might rope at any point, maeve looked much cooler before too, damn i liked her design because it was sort of simplistic but somehow gave her personality
True, they both looked a lot more caring and sympathetic before IMO. :(

Last edited:

Hatchet Games

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2022
Its really creepy how they rewrote Maeve's character again. She talks about the school like its a magical extension her physical body and she suddenly can sense a disturbance in the force and immediately teleport anywhere in the vicinity of the town without using magic. I was warming up to the magic bounty hunter ms midnight but that's scrapped now apparently.

Glad I won't be paying money for this.
1705086598169.png
Not this again...

Edit: Good riddance.

Last edited:

something123_!?

Apr 7, 2023
hope the devs are reading all of this and taking in the feedback. i'm still hopeful for this game, but this update is the devs taking one step forward and two steps back.

I was warming up to the magic bounty hunter ms midnight but that's scrapped now apparently.
i was also wondering about that, because they still have the demon who fucks with you but removed the bounty hunter shit. honestly for as little as that was in the last update, it added enough characterization to maeve to be interesting enough to build on later.

like, helping maeve hunt that demon while she frets over her student getting hurt on top of the school shit could have been a great way to build her and the pcs relationship.

Hatchet Games

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2022
oh hey look at that. you guys been reading everything posted since the public release?

Every single comment, friend.
It's a pity that Maeve and Lilith had such a negative impact on many of the users. We were pretty sure that these changes would make both characters richer than they were before, especially with Lilith. Talking from my perspective, she went from being plain to being more interesting and I enjoyed writing her.

All I can do is touch the issues that many users here said:
I see "Maeve now looks like her own mother" comments. The thing is that was the point, to make her look more "MILF-ish"(?). Personally, despite many comments saying that the previous Maeve was better, I genuinely can't see the actual appeal (other than her posture looking more relaxed). Trust me, I trying to see where's said appeal so we can re-touch Maeve a l. But I can't think of anything other than making her hair match her previous sprite and adding small details to make her look more "adorable", and it would be all small edits on her face.

Lilith on the other hand, I firmly believe she was modified for the better. Her previous personality was way too "ok" with everything that was going on around her, and that made her so boring in my eyes. I find her new characteristics way more interesting since I believe there is a chance to make her slowly but surely become the happy teacher that she was before, while the player is an important key for her little story.
She looks way too tired and done with things because that's the point, so she could get out of that place with "our help", giving me a great opportunity to write something really cute, and trust me, I do have planned something cute for her.

In the end, I'm 100% sure that these changes have been made for the best. And while I'm open to giving Maeve a really small retouch, that'd be it, because as I said, I just can't see the preference despite the explanations given by phezq (thanks a lot for such a detailed, constructive, and respectful critique). Still, I know I won't be changing anyone's opinion on the matter with this. But the least I could do is just share my perspective.

Thanks to everyone (except that one multi-account lol) for the feedback. I'll make sure that with time you see that the changes were 100% worth it and a piece of something better, but a "step forward, two steps back".

Hatchet Games

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2022
Everyone was just telling you to stop copying helltaker with the annoying bobbing up and down during dialogue.
... People said that? Because I'm sure that that was something that many people liked, heck, I removed and re-introduced them because many people asked for it to be back. Also, Helltaker had "bobbing up and down" animations?

Will the spider waifu be given more dialogue in the future?
Yes, she will.

Glad I won't be paying money for this.
But it will be behind a paywall. Unlucky you.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

JumpNeet44

Jan 22, 2021
It's a pity that Maeve and Lilith had such a negative impact on many of the users. We were pretty sure that these changes would make both characters richer than they were before, especially with Lilith. Talking from my perspective, she went from being plain to being more interesting and I enjoyed writing her.

I see "Maeve now looks like her own mother" comments. The thing is that was the point, to make her look more "MILF-ish"(?). Personally, despite many comments saying that the previous Maeve was better, I genuinely can't see the actual appeal (other than her posture looking more relaxed). Trust me, I trying to see where's said appeal so we can re-touch Maeve a l. But I can't think of anything other than making her hair match her previous sprite and adding small details to make her look more "adorable", and it would be all small edits on her face.

Lilith on the other hand, I firmly believe she was modified for the better. Her previous personality was way too "ok" with everything that was going on around her, and that made her so boring in my eyes. I find her new characteristics way more interesting since I believe there is a chance to make her slowly but surely become the happy teacher that she was before, while the player is an important key for her little story.
She looks way too tired and done with things because that's the point, so she could get out of that place with "our help", giving me a great opportunity to write something really cute, and trust me, I do have planned something cute for her.

In the end, I'm 100% sure that these changes have been made for the best. And while I'm open to giving Maeve a really small retouch, that'd be it, because as I said, I just can't see the preference despite the explanations given by phezq (thanks a lot for such a detailed, constructive, and respectful critique). Still, I know I won't be changing anyone's opinion on the matter with this. But the least I could do is just share my perspective.

Thanks to everyone (except that one multi-account lol) for the feedback. I'll make sure that with time you see that the changes were 100% worth it and a piece of something better, but a "step forward, two steps back".
hmmm its interesting that you think of it that way, from my perspective umm well I do think Maeve's new design has tons of potential and actually highlights the "giant woman mommy" thing, about lilith idk i feel like we also have a grumpy character with a similiar design (Agnes) maybe its because of the eyes? it was sort of nice seeing lilith just being so nice and caring despite always being tired, from my perspective being tired and kinda grumpy doesnt really give personality to a character and even a simple design can work because you can just let the story take rest of their lack of "personality", thats kinda how stories work after all. Even the most simple designs can work as long as the story does the other part,no need to add shit tons of things to their designs if you want to give them personalities or make them interesting

phezq

Jul 31, 2021
(snip)

My personal impression of Lilith was an overworked, or rather, over-dedicated friendly teacher (being the only one, and suffering from insomnia) that has a close professional relation to the headmistress Maeve, bordering friendship even. those traits were a big part of her charm.

Overall though, Character changes are contentious by nature, as they effectively become an entirely different person.
So please don't take it the wrong way, players are simply being protective.

But your planned arc puts me more at ease, that we might make her happy again :)

Hatchet Games

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2022
We also have a grumpy character with a similiar design (Agnes)
I think they are still way too different characters. The only thing they share is that they are done with the whole deal against witches in their way, and we can't blame them for that (They also seem to dislike Elena, although Agnes takes it to a whole different level). It's way too perfect that there are already many happy/chill characters (Celine, Lulu, Jade, Dahlia, kind of Maeve, and previously Lilith.) despite what's going on. The demons, the elves, the lack of witches. And I see that as an issue. (The mentioned characters won't change though, they will still be them. Although Dahlia might go through a remodel as well since she was so rushed.)

It was sort of nice seeing lilith just being so nice and caring despite always being tired
I agree with you this is wholesome material. And I'll say it more directly since I think I wasn't clear enough in my previous reply: Lilith is now made to be like that by the end of her story. But even with Lilith not being her past self now, she still does care about her students. If we see a few interactions, despite her being so tired, she definitely does, she acknowledges their strengths (When talking with Lilith about Lulu after completing Lilith's quest), and that despite how Elizabeth acts, she may be a good person deep down (Again, when talking with her after the same quest, but this time about Elizabeth).
She also denies Annie's entrance to the academy because she already was victim of one of their pranks, and she makes it clear that she doesn't want their students to go through the same thing. It was her first thought on the subject.

Lilith: "You are aware of the risks. We don't know if that demon is organizing a machiavellian plan to torment our students!"

Despite this, later on MC starts to convince her with something Lilith found endearing as a teacher.

MC: "She's nothing but a good girl, and her only goal in the academy is to learn how to fly a broom! Not to do mischievous acts!"
Lilith: "She... wants to learn how to fly a broom?"
Narrator: "Apparently, Annie's dream resonated with the soul of a teacher inside Lilith's whole body."

The signs of a caring, good teacher are there already. But this time it isn't Lilith screaming "I'm THE cool teacher!" Meaning she does care and loves her students, she's just not THAT obvious on the matter.

From my perspective being tired and kinda grumpy doesnt really give personality to a character and even a simple design can work because you can just let the story take rest of their lack of "personality"

You are right. It's the fact that she is tired and kinda grumpy, with everything going on in this world that makes Lilith... well not someone with "more personality", but now it feels like she is struggling with the situation, and with everything that I said before, I think I find Lilith MORE endearing now!
She is tired and done with things, and despite all that, she cares about her students, seeks their safety, and even if no one asks her to go and catch fish so her students can eat, she still goes anyway. Heck, even Maeve seems worried about Lilith doing this. Heck! Lilith was willing to sleep in nature (again[?]) so she didn't have to bother Maeve more than she was doing.
She is still a good, selfless, caring woman and teacher. Maybe even more selfless than before! And despite the changes, she is still a simple design and a simple personality.

Even the most simple designs can work as long as the story does the other part,no need to add shit tons of things to their designs if you want to give them personalities or make them interesting
Agreed. We didn't add tons of stuff to their designs in my opinion. We just made everything more detailed. Lilith's face, Maeve's sprite, and Lilith's little events. I have no plans to bite more than what I can chew here.

I apologize in advance if there are any typos or weird words. I use an online tool because of my "Eñgrish".

Reactions: Greily

Hatchet Games

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2022
So please don't take it the wrong way, players are simply being protective.

But your planned arc puts me more at ease, that we might make her happy again :)
I smiled after reading this. Thanks for your comment. Trust me, she's not only made to be happier, but now we will be a key part of it. We will see her develop, and it will be more satisfying, now that we are the ones making that happen!

• Red Heart
Reactions: phezq

Rain01

Mar 18, 2018
I think that the current iteration has more *potential* to grow the relationship and dynamics, but with the current amount of content are less charming. That's just my two cents though.

FP00

Dec 18, 2018
Honestly, I'm fine with the story changes, especially since the developers made it very clear it's part of their character arc, and we'll see the characters soften as the story progresses and they are thrown into more ridiculous/sexy situations (as well as probably a good night's sleep).

I am hoping we'll get to see Meave as a bounty hunter again, mainly because the design of her bounty hunter outfit was fantastic, and I would love to see her in it beyond it being a costume change. I also hope we'll see similar outfits on the other characters as well because it's such a good design.

something123_!?

Apr 7, 2023
for me, the only real noticeable thing about her design was just using a thinner brush for her outline and mouth, which while i still prefer the older design for that, it's not bad at all. and if like you said in another comment her being more grumpy now is part of her arc, ill reserve judgement till we see the full thing. the final quest with her was very nice, i hope we'll be able to give her more massages and uppies in the future.

she definitely looks more milf-y, but for me i'd say she looks more... professional? like, with the old design you could see clearly she's the head mistress, but she still wore a pretty but simple robe and hat while standing taller than anyone else. with this new design, with the cut off sleeves and more reserved posture, feathers under her hat plus the thinner/pointier eyebrows and lipstick, she looks much more like a business woman, put together and "intimidating" aside from those moments where she's kneeling and apologizing (which were absolutely adorable btw).

looking at the last ones design, in my head im like "oh this lady is clearly very important but look at her smile and demeanor, she looks so nice i wanna run up and give her a hug!" and this new one is "oh this lady is clearly very important and looks so fancy and is nice! but she's probably very busy with paperwork and would be annoyed if i bothered so ill leave her alone." she's a lot more warm and welcoming in her old design. in the new one it looks like the smile she wears is a fake she puts up to convince people she's not actually frustrated when she is. i think its mostly to do with her more narrow chin, smaller mouth and lowered eyebrows that communicate this.

(also her tits are much bigger which is more accurate given the bounty hunter scene, but i think they looked nicer subdued and showing more of her corset/stomach.)

that's the best way i can put it for me, but ultimately it's your game and you should do what you want with her. all i ask though, would it possible to let us choose between the two designs in future updates?

But the least I could do is just share my perspective.
i appreciate it, really. i'm glad you don't completely write off talking to us here and sticking to getting feedback from patreon or the discord. i hope the feedback you get here helps the game release in the best possible state

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatchet Games

phezq

Jul 31, 2021
An obvious solution could be having the option of choosing a preferred model for Maeve, would make everyone happy :)
though admittedly that would mean more artwork to be done for the costume options.

Reactions: Crazy4Oreos

VNEnjoyer12

Sep 10, 2020
I really like the new update and how the story is evolving around the characters. The new Maeve design looks pretty good to me. I know that maybe a lot of people will find her new design looks more mature and will probably not like her but i think that it really fits her being the character that she is.

On the other hand, the "new" lilith look feels a bit empty. I say "new" because it only really changes her eyes but for some reason the removal of the white part of her eyes makes me feel like the character look is more empty. It doesn´t look bad I like her new design, but I feel that the inner white part of her eyes gave her more personality and highlighted her tired personality. It may be just personal preference but thats the way I feel when I see her new look

Captura de pantalla (90).png (I think a simple change like this can change a lot the look of a character)
(New lilith but with the white part added)

For me this is a great update over all, the story is very good and even if im not 100% sure about the new looks on the characters I feel that they are good.
Im really excited for the new content in the future and how everything will develop.

Sorry if I made any mistake writing this English is not my first language

brothermora

Dec 18, 2021
v0.5 was my first time playing so I can't comment on the old Maeve/Lilith but I really like their current characters. They both really come off like they care about the academy and the students. Also wanted to give big props on whoever does the writing as other than some spelling mistakes this is probably one of the best written games on the site.

Additionally a minor warning - it's nice to see devs go back and update old content, but don't let perfect be the enemy of great. To quote Yahtzee Croshaw "on finished good game is better than a million unreleased perfect games".

4.60 star(s) 47 Votes