VN Ren'Py Completed Magical Diary: Wolf Hall [v1.0.12] [Hanako Games]

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

HeelsMaiden

Mar 22, 2019
See, I find it deeply optimistic that you think that they'd actually say "soon" that early, instead of just talking on their forums about how they've made progress on [redacted] when someone asks if there's any news.

(I don't actually hold it against them that a project that complicated and with multiple authors is taking forever, by the way. Just that we never got a real ending for Year 1 because they ridiculously underestimated how long the second game would take them. I wanted a mini-epilogue about the ramifications of having studied the forbidden magic of Gates, darn it!)
You're not going to get anything related to Academagia until they release Victory Belles Year 1939 which itself is already late by two and half years now according to their own Kickstarter estimate.

But why are we talking about games by Black Chicken Studios in a Hanako games thread again? Lol.

Jan 10, 2018
You're not going to get anything related to Academagia until they release Victory Belles Year 1939 which itself is already late by two and half years now according to their own Kickstarter estimate.

But why are we talking about games by Black Chicken Studios in a Hanako games thread again? Lol.
Oh, it's just that both devs just have entries on my personal "Games I've Been Waiting Forever To Release" list. Though in Hanako's case, it's more that I wanted them to finish this than I was personally interested in this, as I'm fonder of the other games they've released.

Though I'm admittedly somewhat surprised that anyone else replied to that - I wasn't aware that anyone else had even heard Academagia.

Bootyman

Apr 7, 2018
Though I'm admittedly somewhat surprised that anyone else replied to that - I wasn't aware that anyone else had even heard Academagia.
Man, Academagia is a game that I want to like but it's got so many stats and such that it's tough to get into. It's like how anyone would feel trying to get into Dwarf Fortress for the first time.

Jan 10, 2018
Man, Academagia is a game that I want to like but it's got so many stats and such that it's tough to get into. It's like how anyone would feel trying to get into Dwarf Fortress for the first time.
That's why I enjoyed it, actually! I probably still have the little cheat sheet I wrote about how to best maximize my stats and get the "good" skill rewards before really focusing on studying saved somewhere...

And, uh, it's also probably why I have multiple characters dedicated primarily to paperwork and other decidedly mundane jobs...

Honestly, though, half the problem is in that really basic interface. If they just made it nicer to look at (and also made it easier to find the skill you're looking for, what it does, and what you've unlocked), it'd be a lot easier to work with. The game isn't that complicated - it's just... Hard to find what you're looking for. The same goes for the game's actions in general, incidentally - it's often made needlessly difficult to figure out what you can do, why you'd want to do something, and remember to actually do that thing when it would actually be convenient. Such as trying to guess what spells to cast before going on an adventure, without reloading.

Which, I get it. Interface design is difficult in general, there's a lot of information they need to display, and it was their first game. But it's still a problem that I wish they would have considered dedicating a patch to. Along with a mini-epilogue when they realized how much longer Year 2 would take.

juanito

Jun 19, 2017
I played Long Live the Queen from Hanako. Even though I don't usually like games with a female protagonist and even though it has no sexual content it is one of my favorite games.

Xerneas

Apr 27, 2017
to open the console is shift+O - but i'm yet to find any commands
As a ren'py game, you're limited to whatever python functions are used by the dev, or by just writing a .rpy file yourself with the functions you need. If you put that .rpy file anywhere in the folder or any subfolders, you can access those functions by calling them in the console.

I wrote some simple ones for maxing out my stats, refreshing stress and learning spells.
You can view and edit .rpy with any simple text editor like Notepad++ if you want to add more.

Hanako's own commands are things like:
To increase your stats by x, it's: gain_white(x). Replace white with other colours or smart/strong where needed.
To set your personality, it's: flirty/lazy/scheming/sporty = x. Speaks for itself. Usually it just checks which is the highest to determine response types.
To learn spells, it's a bit weirder. The only way I've managed without crashing is to learn them in order that the game uses whenever you take a class. The command is: player.known_spells.append(wolfhall.all_spells[learnt_cutscene('white', wolfhall.white_spells, wolfhall.mixed_white_spells)). Replace the bold "white"s with whatever colour you're going for.

My own cheats are simply:
no_stress(). Speaks for itself
max_all(). Maxes all of your magic stats as well as smart and strong
learn_all(). Learns all spells that you could learn with your current stats.
full_cheat(). Combines the above three in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: hirza and wwgwa

Jojeke

Jan 21, 2018
There's really no wrong way to play Academagia though.
Just don't get kicked out by getting caught doing something horribly illegal and don't flunk your exams (too much).
That's the magic of the game. You get to decide how much you want to do.

I've had games where I did pretty much everything and had stats out of the realm of feasibility while I've also had chill games where I just went to school every day and made a nice social circle of friends.

Liencourt

May 23, 2018
Hi, would it be possible for someone to upload a newer version of the game? It seems to be at 0.9.2 already but I can't find it anywhere.

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote