VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Making Memories [v1.0a] [Kvitravn Tales]

1. 4.00 star(s)

y0rthan

I just finished playing the game and need some time to process the ending. I'll try to avoid overt spoilers, but much of what I have to say is potentially spoilery in context.

First, the good. The renders are good. Great, even. It's not often that a 3d-rendered still image can draw me in in these games, but this one did so repeatedly. Sometimes too well, as there was occasionally a side character where I thought, "Wait, is the game trying to make my character fall for this person too?" (Answer: No. They just really wanted to render them well.)

The music is good most of the time. Once in a great while it is too noticeable almost to the point of distraction, but more often than not it complements the scene(s) nicely. A little more variety would be nice, but when compared to a sea of silent VN's, it's still far above average.

The dialogue? I kept looking to see if there was a Spanish translation in the settings and perhaps this was the English robot-translated version, but it appears this is the only language. 90% of the dialogue was good, but there were those moments that made it clear it wasn't proofread by a "fluent native English speaker." Minor example: the cafe should feel "homey," not "homely." But again, still better than a lot of English translations out there, so points for effort. Just maybe find an English proofreader next game.

The story/plot starts off strong but quickly settles into a slow-burn slice-of-life, in which the protagonist tries to juggle his emotions and thoughts regarding his "ward" and "best friend" (if you're playing the unpatched version), and how they feel toward him in turn. (If this is at all a spoiler to you, I'm unsure how you got this far.) This might have frustrated me if I'd been along for the development ride, but I waited until it was finished before playing, so I didn't have to wait as long to find out where this was all going. Which, without spoiling the end, I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, but that's subjective to a point where I didn't factor it into my rating. The fact that it ends at ALL, really, is for me a point in its favor, as too many VN's don't have endings, usually because they're either abandoned or eternal WIP's. So even if I'm not a fan of the ending, at least it is one. (Though some may disagree.)

That being said, I was disappointed that the "gameplay mechanics" turned out to be almost completely meaningless. I did two different playthroughs, one as King (and/or blunt choices), the other as Prince (and/or sensitive choices.) And it turns out that both paths play out nearly 100% identical. I understand this from a "programming efficiency" standpoint, but from a player agency standpoint, it kinda sucks to learn that your role has no real impact on the lives of the supporting cast, other than some clothing choices, a one-off date night, and a couple variations during shorter sex scenes. (Of which this game has very few, it should be noted. I'm not counting that against it, just making it known that most of the chapters are almost Safe For Work.)

That last point, as well as the seemingly sudden wrap-up of the last chapter or two, are why this is not a 5-star rating. If there had been two clear paths (King and Prince), even if the events were largely the same to the end, I probably would have given this 5 out of 5. Or perhaps if at the beginning a message said "This is merely a kinetic novel that also gives you some variety in how you respond to things, but these will have no effect on the outcome and there are no right or wrong choices," that would manage expectations a bit.

All that being said, the game has a lot of heart, and it's clear a lot of time and care went into both the writing and the rendering, which is why it still gets at least four stars. I don't regret playing it, which is more than I can say of some other titles. The seemingly random plot threads near the end were distracting but not enough for me to give this a lower score. And while some may not like the idea of grading on a curve, I've seen far less satisfying games earn a 3 out of 5, so this deserves at least one more than that. But only in the context of the type of game it is, which is a slow-burn kinetic novel. If you're hoping for more of a titillating Ren'Py game where your choices matter, then this is maybe a 3.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

AlexMpog

Story is decent, though it gets very rushed in the end, 95% of the game you play at a slow pace, you get used to it and then bamn... - so many events and characters and all of this during a short period of time, it's just overwhelming.

Writing definitely could have been better, but not the worst.

Characters are very well written, their personalities are good, their looks are good. Especially Xiomara, you can sink in her eyes.

In general game is decent, totally worth playing.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

BallerTime

One of the most important parts of telling a story is sticking the landing. This game just doesn't even attempt to do so. Instead of ending this small scale story within the scope of this game, the developer has decided that they would rather hold the ending of this story hostage in the background of a completely different game about some, in my opinion, unlikeable new characters. The other game is not even in the same genre as this one. I am not going to play that game because nothing about it appeals to me in any way. So, I will never see the ending to this story, making it functionally an abandoned game rather than a completed one.

The developer must think they're being clever by attempting to hop on the MCU trend of always leaving plot threads open to connect to the next project. Marvel at least understands, with the exception of movies which are going to have an immediate and direct sequel like Infinity War into Endgame, that the main story in each movie needs to end within the same movie. The stingers at the end teasing the next movie are almost always either continuations of small side plots or new threads introduced at the end as teasers. In this game, the relationship between the two characters who get the most screen time together is the one they decide to use as the advertising ploy.

The problem is that, in attempting to mimic that strategy without understanding it, the developer has instead demonstrated that they can't be trusted to pay off anything they set up unless you commit to playing every game they ever make... and they couldn't manage to go two games in a row without making one that I don't like. I'm tapping out before getting stuck in a sunk-cost fallacy. Unless they change their mind and decide to revisit this game to give it a proper ending, I'm just going to avoid all of their future products.
  4. 3.00 star(s)

PinkDaizy

The broken English, at least in the beginning, can be really off-putting. It gets better as the game progresses. I can look past that. It would have been a good game. But the ending was really disappointing.

This would have been a 4 star game, despite the broken English. The characters alone would hold it up. But the ending is what actually killed this game. It's really a WTF moment when the game ends. It's so disappointing in fact that if I knew in advance about this ending, I'm not sure I would have even started playing it.

Still 3 stars though, because it's a good effort overall. I haven't encountered any bugs personally. The English might be bad, but the renders are good, and as I mentioned already the characters are its main strength. But that ending.... Seriously.

If you actually don't mind games where at the end
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    then go ahead and play it. It will be worth it despite the bad English. If you're like me and just can't stand that kind of ending, it might be a good idea to skip this game.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

RobertL619

OK lets get the bad shit out of the way first
    Lordy lord the ending Sucks some major league ASS, like it's setting up something else which is dandy alright but COME ON, WHAT ABOUT THE THING THAT'S THERE? This has the typical franchise ending,though i aint saying that's a bad thing or anything, but you shat on how this thing ended.

Secondly the animations,
    Son, you wrote your heart out in this one, why couldnt you do the same when it came to the sex? Like theres jiggle and bounce and all but If wanted to watch that theres plenty on the internet...

Now the meat of the pie, my god.............
    You wore your heart on your sleeve on this one, and it showed son.
    The highs are the highest there are and as an old man myself I can tell you how hard it is put yourself like this.
    The relationships in here are sweet, not just for the sake ofbeing sweet buit, its warm its comforting to look at these people interact with eachother.

The girls, oh mygod.....
    Xiomara is a cute young girl whos not trying to get into the MC pants per se but shes trying to tell him how she loves him, which is quite taboo in many levels but hey, she does alright tf can we do about that now ?
    Like I genuienly want this cutie to win at life.

Ava, oh god this woman......
    I don't wanna spoil anything for you fellas but imagine a Tomboyish Salma Hayek,SO SWEET this woman!

Story? Is there a story? IDK, great plot by the way.

If you wanna feel, like FEEL feel this shit is a must play.
    I'd still ask the wwriter for a redo of it's ending, you majorly shat the bed in the last 5%.

Nevertheless I wanna give you 6/5 for giving me those feel good bugs in my stomach but a shat bed is a shat bed son.

EDIT-
    I can understand the MC being this laidback kind hearted jockish man but his bitch wife needs some comeuppance please please please ???
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Yolomon

What an excellent game. Giving this an 11/10. This game has low sexual content obviously. But it honestly makes up for it with the absolutely amazing storytelling. It's incredibly emotional. Not in a crying way, but more in the "this is a good story". The writing is impeccable. There were some grammatical and english errors, but the dev seems to be a non-native speaker, so it's fine. The models are absolutely amazing. It's very clear the dev took inspiration from Selma Hayek for the sister's model. Every model in the game is great. Their expressions are clear, the actions are open and understandable, and the story really manages to carry itself throughout the end. This game is an experience first and a sex simulator last. I really recommend this game to everyone.
  7. 2.00 star(s)

Wicked Garden

Man, oh man, I had high hopes for this game. I gave high praises, promoted it, etc,. I felt in my heart that this was going to be a classic for the romance/incest fans and after the first couple of releases it felt that way. I took a break from playing VN's but as I was away this is one of the few games I was anxious about returning to play. Finding out that it was completed, I was even more in a hurry to see how the story had unfolded. I finished it last night and the disappointment level was high.

What started off as a sweet story, which I thought was going to mainly be about Xiomara and the MC just went out the window. There isn't many good Father/Daughter stories out. Again, this had the makings of it early on but the Dev went away from that. Now I have no problem with Ava's character, I loved her but she was always the SIDE character to me not the main love interest. I invested my time and interest in the game because of Xiomara not Ava so seeing how this game ended was just plain disappointing.

The sex scene was Xiomara was anti-climatic, it felt rushed, there was nothing special about it to me. It was her first time but it felt like casual sex. The king and prince paths turned out to be useless, none of it mattered in the end. I thought the king path would be the MC getting Xiomara, Ava, Carmine, Xiomara's friend or a variation of it. And the Prince path would be just dedicated to Xiomara but I was clearly wrong. It was just about Ava in the end.

But even with all of the downsides of this game, what pissed me off the most was the Luisa character. I felt like the Dev was too hell bent on making her this redemption character. Trying to making players fill sorry for her and sympathize with her.

She selfishly cheats on the MC because she was dumb enough to listen to her miserable co-workers and ruined not only her marriage but family... and we get some scene about her making "Peace", seriously? Understand, that when you asking players to immerse themselves with the main character, you're asking them to become one with that character, meaning that if the writer is good at his or hers job then the players are going to feel the same kind of emotions that the characters are feeling.

I definitely could've done without that scene, it wasn't realistic to me. It's bad enough you were practically forced to meet up with her to begin with. There should've been a option to tell your cheating ex-wife to fuck off for good but there wasn't. I don't need to wish a woman luck who ruined a marriage for her own selfish reasons. It's insane to think that. And we're not talking as if this was several years down the road or something, the wounds were start fresh for the MC. *Sigh*

The ending was rushed, felt like a 90's sitcom, no MC/Xiomara. Just felt like a false promise. The Dev is new, yes, but there are other new Devs out there also. You can't lure fanbases in, making them think they're getting one thing and then slap them in the face with something totally different, it's not a wise thing to do. Instead of them being to together like what was advertised, they do a quick fuck and she not only randomly decides that she wants Ava and the MC together but she leaves..

I've said my peace, I probably won't touch this again but good luck to the Dev.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

b00m22

Incredible. The renders in this game are fantastic; and there is such a minute detail to visualize the scenes, as they are consistently transitioning and characters expressions are brought to life.
    There are spelling errors here and there, but I think they are mostly intentional, given the characters are supposed to be Latam.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

IamPeterGriffen

Probably deserves 4.5 stars. A far from perfect VN, but a great introduction of a new Dev that has so much potential. If this Dev improves his grammar and animating skills, he could be one of the top devs in the genre.

Pros:
    • likeable, beautiful women, even the ex
    • likeable, relatable MC
    • doesn't rush the relationship development
    • great immersive world creation

Cons:
    • grammar confusing in places
    • story development was bizarre and random at times
    • flashbacks and visions of MC were often hard to follow
    • Too slow developing reltionships
    • no opportunity to pursue non-primary characters, a good idea with ultra slow burn games.
    • please clarify where in the world they are. I changed my guess at least 3 times

Overall, great first project, Dev! I hope to play your next one some day soon
  10. 4.00 star(s)

Zaklin69

The games GOOD. The story line is impressive.

There is Little erotic content, but the story compensated for it. I think its the first time i'm playing something with little erotic content. But because of the story line it didn't even bother me. I loved it.

Some revenge on ex would have been captivating.

But the ending was a little too fast. Is there gonna be a continuation of this game any time soon.

It has so many broken line like some lines are actually said by alvaro but it shows some other names(xiamara) .
  11. 3.00 star(s)

Rockero_69

The truth is that I did not like how this game started, however little by little it grew in every aspect, even so, personally from chapter 6 or 7 I think it was that I got hooked and was looking forward to the next update and so on until it was released it ended, I don't know the truth because it had such an abrupt ending, said ending that I did not like at all, it could have been better, finally the animations are the ones that are really not so good and that there are only 3, but hey that's it another finished game without much to be desired, but I do appreciate the effort, work and time of the creator(s) (those who made, contributed and others in different ways) of it.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

Phnx

Phew... So, I'm quite torn on this one. On the one hand this is one of the best stories I have ever experienced on F95. And I mean experienced. This VN made me become emotionally invested in the characters, which happens extremely rarely in my case. That is why I am so torn.
    And on the other hand it is mostly story. It is an erotic story, but if you play this game to fap, forget it!
    I am quite disappointed by the ending and how the relationship developed between Xiomara and her father.

"Which sucks big time!" I am reacting emotionally to the ending. Thank you, author! You actually managed to touch my heart (and not some other body part) with this story. Which, again, happens extremely rarely with these kinds of VNs. I only wish, if you make me this invested in the characters, at least not give me a realistic ending, give me a happy ending!

To name a few positive points, I really liked the selection of music. I liked that the Spotify link we see in one scene is actually real and the one from the main menu. That is a nice gimmick. I liked the little details like the animated background during car rides and the various camera angles with animated scenes (bird's eye view, animated sky) during narrative parts. And I really liked the slow and realistic build up, even though the conclusion is dissatisfying.

Anyway, this review is subjective. Therefore 4 stars for excellent story telling craftsmanship. 0 stars for the ending. :cry:
  13. 2.00 star(s)

SomeoneX22

---{ Graphics }---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful
    ☐ Good
    ☐ Decent
    ☑ Bad
    ☐ Don‘t look too long at it
    ☐ MS-DOS

---{ Gameplay }---
    ☐ Very good
    ☐ Good
    ☐ It's just gameplay
    ☐ Mehh
    ☑ Watch paint dry instead
    ☐ Just don't

---{ Audio }---
    ☐ Eargasm
    ☐ Very good
    ☐ Good
    ☑ Not too bad
    ☐ Bad
    ☐ I'm now deaf

---{ PC Requirements }---
    ☐ Check if you can run paint
    ☑ Potato
    ☐ Decent
    ☐ Fast
    ☐ Rich boi
    ☐ Ask NASA if they have a spare computer

---{ Story }---
    ☐ No Story
    ☐ Some lore
    ☑ Average
    ☐ Good
    ☐ Lovely
    ☐ It'll replace your life

---{ Game Time }---
    ☐ Long enough for a cup of coffee
    ☐ Short
    ☐ Average
    ☑ Long
    ☐ To infinity and beyond

---{ ? / 10 }---
    ☐ 1
    ☑ 2
    ☐ 3
    ☐ 4
    ☐ 5
    ☐ 6
    ☐ 7
    ☐ 8
    ☐ 9
    ☐ 10
  14. 2.00 star(s)

Bit Bandit

Highly overrated game. Slow build up that runs hot and cold and is not linear, with very little payoff in the end. Engrish is somewhat distracting and partly non-sensical. Choices seem to have no bearing on the game outcome and the Prince or King guidance is just stupid. Renders are pretty good and there could be something to the storyline if presented properly, although it's pretty standard fare. The lack of H scenes was disappointing and the animations ranged from not bad to sub-standard, mostly because of the rush to finish I suspect. I felt I needed to be honest here as this is the first time I thought the average rating here was way off.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Warhawk1

Version:0.9
    Great, underrated game.
    Great renders,music and writing.

I have been following this game from it's first update,
    the developer has been putting out consistent updates(consistency both in content quality and update development cycle).
    Is a bit of a slow burn if you are expecting to see sex scenes fron the start.
    Still is worth sticking through the slow burn(doesn't even feel like build-up to be honest)
    Must try for Incest fans.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

GTPern

Excellent story, flow, renders, and scene visuals. Already feeling very connected to the characters and personalities by episode 2. They allow the MC to have actual feelings of grief and loss while maintaining a hopeful sexual tension. It's really alluring!
  17. 5.00 star(s)

ImariKurumi

v1.0a - Completed

Models and renders are great. Beautiful, i would say more realistic looking than the usual "dolls" you see in other VNs. Could use some solid animation though. Now the character models may be a hit or miss if you're expecting the usual cliche troupes of white, hot women/dolls.

No lewd scenes so far except some petting and masturbation.

This is primarily a story focused VN, so take note. Premise i'd say around the lines of the MC surviving infidelity with the help of his daughter and sister. I'd give compliments to the dev for creating such a robust story, a lot of emotions and feelings layered throughout the chapters. Makes the story so much more believable and relatable(i mean except the incest part). Really nailed the narrative. My parents divorced due to infidelity, abuse etc so this story really hit home for me(except for the incest part, no, i did not sleep with my mother). I hope dev continues the surviving infidelity plotline even post-divorce and not just jump fully into the romance narrative. I can tell ya, the scars from a broken family lingers through several years.

Love the characters too, for now its mainly the sister and daughter. They have complex personalities but so very lovable. And their interactions with each other and also the MC are so adorable and it evolves over the chapters. Its touching how they try to support one another to tide through the tough times. On the incest part, both daughter and sister took it upon themselves to take over the role of a wife for the MC. Initially they wanted to replace the ex-wife but theres subtle hints that they want to be the wife and not just be a stand-in. Overall good character development there.

My wish is that there will be new potential love interests, maybe 1 or 2. Failing that im also fine with romance focus on the 2 main girls only. Another suggestion is to re-introducing the ex-wife further down the line, create a reconciliation route and make her the 3rd LI, this will probably significantly lengthen the story. I'll be frank, this won't be popular among players but to be honest, almost every family would have thought about reconciliation(my parents did, even me and my siblings). It will be hard to pull off but definitely worth it if done right.

Theres some issues with the grammar and writing. Also it has heavy influence from hispanic/spanish language & culture therefore some audience may struggle to understand portions of the story. The decision/choices players have to make are kinda vague and confusing but so far i believe it has minimal impact on the overall picture.

This is a solid 5/5 stars for me. Really looking forward to the full game and also dev's other VNs.

*Updated* So the ending might not be fulfilling for some while others might like it. Honestly i feel like its unfinished, where the characters chose to run away rather than face the situation. That said, there is a sequel of sorts but it focuses on the other family.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

lipe2410

Review of v0.8

Without spoilers, Making Memories is about a guy who suffer a traumatic experience with his wife, leave her and then try rebuild himself with his daughter (Xiomara) and his sister (Ava) by him side.

It's a romantic incest story in essence. MC is not a creep who perv his daughter and sister. There is no peeping in the shower, creepy night visit in their rooms when they are sleeping. The drive force here is romance and love. MC loves Xiomara and Ava, and they both have deep and strong feellings for MC too. And all accept and embrace this feelling, wanting live it fully.

All this is crafted with a good writing and storytelling. Kvitravn builds-up the MC's relationships with Xiomara and Ava as something sweet, beautifull and heartwarming. It's a slowburn and there is no "hardcore" content with them now, but every scene play the role of advance the relationships and make you want see more.

In the visual side, Making Memories also do good. The renders are well-made, not the best you'll see but definitely above of many others VNs. Ava and Xiomara are simply beautifull and unique, it's impossible not fall for them. And the MC as a handsome middle-aged man is a breath of fresh air in the sea of generic young MCs of incest games.

I also love the hispanic words and expressions that the characters say once in a while when they are talking. This is something that really make them seem alive and more believeable.

In conclusion, this is a great VN that deserves more attention.
  19. 3.00 star(s)

Before I Forget

I tend to be half and half on this genre because it usually all seems to be more of the same. This however, has been an enjoyable experience.

Story:

First off I want to congratulate the creator for not making a ton of pointless side characters as we build up the relationships with the main love interest. Any time you dabble in this sort of genre certain relationships should take time, it's not a college themed game where everyone samples with each other like the typical "college experience" cliches. This feels more organic to me if that makes sense. I love the closenet bond between Xiomara and the main character. Adding someone reliable as well as beautiful like Ava fills it out rather well. Would've like an alternative option to see how the main character would've handled being cheating on but he handled it well.

Renders:
    Very well done.

Dialogue/Grammar:
    Didn't bother me.

Characters:
    Less is more and it doesn't fill oversaturated with fuck buddies only until we dive into the main course.

Overall, I love it and will recommend it. Kvitravn Tales really deserves more support.

Edit: It started off really well but the ending was lackluster. I hated how Xiomara was practically pushed to the side for Ava. Ava is great but she isn't who I came to see it was Xiomara. The sex scenes was ruined by the animation sequence, it would've been better off as still shots. The ending was rushed and left me with a lot of questions.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Éama

This game would benefit very much from a clean english translation since it is actually beautifully done. It's artsy and arthousey with a chillout lounge soundtrack that can either put you to sleep or really help you immerse. I am aware artsy stuff is not for everyone but if you are open to try something new, just give it a chance. The music conveys the dreamlike mood after such a traumatic experience just fine.

Renders are very good, the choices are not really clear. The famous king vs. prince choice that is a recurring theme in this VN should really be explained in the prologue because it breaks immersion when you have no idea of the implications. (it is explained later though)

However, I think Making Memories is unique and deep enough to get away with its peculiarities and it deserves a patient audience that can look past its flaws. It is both a tragic and wholesome experience if you can go with the flow.

Ps. I am in love with Avas character design. It's so rare to see her face type in AVNs and she is an exceptionally handsome woman in my opinion.