VN Unity Malevolent Planet Unity2D [The Mist Explorer & Scientist] [SugarMint]

2.30 star(s) 4 Votes

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
"Malevolent Planet Unity2D is the 2D version of "

Yes, Malevolent Planet 2D is the 2D version of Malevolent Planet, which also is 2D.

So Malevolent Planet 2D is the 2D version of Malevolent Planet 2D.

Uhm. So basically, an unnecessary game, except that graphics are worse.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
This update seems to be the exact same game as the last update. Are the only changes in the patron version?

pharal

Apr 13, 2020
I didn't get to play in the latest version, because there are a couple of bugs.
1. When changing the resolution, there is only 1024*768 at maximum. Changing it to anything, even if you change it back again, makes the game jagged and low resolution. Even if restarting the game, it still looked that way.
2. Nothing happens when clicking the "Movement option" drop-down. That is because the drop-down function is actually stuck on top of "Graphics Quality", so when you try and change Graphics, you can only change control method.

Image shows what I mean. Resolution is set at the highest possible and I am clicking the "Graphics Quality" drop-down box.

Malevolent_Planet_5svwyFoY7e.png

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
"Malevolent Planet Unity2D is the 2D version of "

Yes, Malevolent Planet 2D is the 2D version of Malevolent Planet, which also is 2D.

So Malevolent Planet 2D is the 2D version of Malevolent Planet 2D.

Uhm. So basically, an unnecessary game, except that graphics are worse.
The original game is a text game, 2D in this context means closer to RPGM-style gameplay.
This update seems to be the exact same game as the last update. Are the only changes in the patron version?
There are multiple new scenes, including up to 5 new animations. Are you unable to access the nurse content?

1. When changing the resolution, there is only 1024*768 at maximum. Changing it to anything, even if you change it back again, makes the game jagged and low resolution. Even if restarting the game, it still looked that way.
2. Nothing happens when clicking the "Movement option" drop-down. That is because the drop-down function is actually stuck on top of "Graphics Quality", so when you try and change Graphics, you can only change control method.

Image shows what I mean. Resolution is set at the highest possible and I am clicking the "Graphics Quality" drop-down box.

View attachment 2559426
Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020

View attachment 2559426
I have fixed this issue, thanks a lot for letting me know about it.

Reactions: pharal

VerumMortis

Jan 26, 2019
I can't leave the nurse area after doing the 3 sets for Morris. Says to go back and change but there's a blocker keeping me from leaving in the hallway. Also I found if you load a save during the nurse mission then all the patients disappear and you have to load a save from before they appear, ie a save just before you talk to Morris and start the diagnosis.

I'm on android version

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
There are multiple new scenes, including up to 5 new animations. Are you unable to access the nurse content?
No. When I am in the garden area all I get is the "there is a barrier" notification followed by an ad for the patreon.

pharal

Apr 13, 2020
I have fixed this issue, thanks a lot for letting me know about it.
Thanks :) I will try it tomorrow again. I am a fan of the original and I appreciate the extension of the art.

Edit: It works now.

Last edited:

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
I can't leave the nurse area after doing the 3 sets for Morris. Says to go back and change but there's a blocker keeping me from leaving in the hallway. Also I found if you load a save during the nurse mission then all the patients disappear and you have to load a save from before they appear, ie a save just before you talk to Morris and start the diagnosis.

I'm on android version
When this happened, did you make a save after getting dressed into the nurse outfit and loaded that one? It could explain what happened.

Other than that, did you notice any issues on the android build? I haven't had the time to test it.

lol relly broken Game XD
many bugs.
can not more out.
View attachment 2560912

unplayble
If this happened after you finished the medical room content there isn't anything to see in the public build anymore anyway, unity development is difficult.

No. When I am in the garden area all I get is the "there is a barrier" notification followed by an ad for the patreon.
I guess I should just disable that NPC for the public build, there are two other scenes in the garden available on the public build.

When you go out of the garden and you follow the instructions top-right of the game you can access the medical room content which has many scenes.

Thanks :) I will try it tomorrow again. I am a fan of the original and I appreciate the extension of the art.

Edit: It works now.
Thanks for the kind words :)

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020

I'm on android version
It should be fixed now, I updated the apk.
lol relly broken Game XD
many bugs.
can not more out.
View attachment 2560912

unplayble
This bug should be gone now and you should be able to save and load at any time during the nurse activity.

strangeobject

Nov 22, 2019
after i finished the "ER" encounter, the quest was about getting shower but i cant enter sanitation room because of " an invisible barrier keeping me from going upstair " what does that mean?? what?

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
after i finished the "ER" encounter, the quest was about getting shower but i cant enter sanitation room because of " an invisible barrier keeping me from going upstair " what does that mean?? what?
Not all the content has been tested for WebGL which is what the main platform for the public release is, so the content is locked 2-3-4 versions behind the latest Patreon build, whose main platform is Windows.

So basically even though some might consider it scummy it's a hint that there's more content you can unlock in early access by becoming a Patron.

Reactions: DeD95 and Joeburqa

Crackcocaine

Jun 25, 2020
Not all the content has been tested for WebGL which is what the main platform for the public release is, so the content is locked 2-3-4 versions behind the latest Patreon build, whose main platform is Windows.

So basically even though some might consider it scummy it's a hint that there's more content you can unlock in early access by becoming a Patron.
Bruh.

x~Minchen~x

Feb 26, 2019
Hm...this could be nice I guess, but it seems to be super buggy and the missing content makes it extra weird. Emma went to sleep 2 times in a row, then I tried to talk to a girl in the garden and got the barrier message which causes the game to freeze. Her recap of the day was wrong and now I have a repeating bug where she goes to sleep...ugh.

Last edited:

ustar

Dec 29, 2017
What a shame there is no win32 compilation. x64 .exe compilation doesn't work on win32 OS.
I tried online version, but it crashes so often, there are problems with Save+Load, often had to press F5 to reload and even then there was bugs with Load, so it's not reliable. I have to stick with HTML version of the game...

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
I still fail to see how this is an improvment on the text game. Did the artist get fired?
The artist has always been the same, me. The improvement is that there's a wider reach with a 2D game compared to a text game, and C# is a compiled language compared to JS which means that it's easier to maintain and to improve. The text game is a pretty big feat in terms of its codebase and without enough financial support it's difficult to continue developing it as there are game-breaking bugs which take a long time to reproduce.

It is also tiring to try to write the description of the environment when you can just show it. You can write "the blazing sun torches the dirt around you" only so many times.

Hm...this could be nice I guess, but it seems to be super buggy and the missing content makes it extra weird. Emma went to sleep 2 times in a row, then I tried to talk to a girl in the garden and got the barrier message which causes the game to freeze. Her recap of the day was wrong and now I have a repeating bug where she goes to sleep...ugh.
There's an amount of content that's not available in the public build and it's difficult to prevent accessing it without the barrier message.

The public build has the WebGL version as its main focus and the "extra content" hasn't been tested fully on WebGL so it's safer to limit it in addition to providing an incentive for people to support.

What a shame there is no win32 compilation. x64 .exe compilation doesn't work on win32 OS.
I tried online version, but it crashes so often, there are problems with Save+Load, often had to press F5 to reload and even then there was bugs with Load, so it's not reliable. I have to stick with HTML version of the game...
Where does the online version crash? I ran multiple playthroughs and didn't encounter anything gamebreaking.

I can build a x86 build for you if the online version crashes aren't reproducible.

Reactions: tardford and ustar
2.30 star(s) 4 Votes