VN Unity Malevolent Planet Unity2D [The Mist Explorer & Scientist] [SugarMint]

2.30 star(s) 4 Votes

Nymphonomicon

Jan 10, 2019
is character creation not available like in HTML version. I would like bigger boobs and ass. Very big. :whistle:
While that would be greatly appreciated, I imagine it would require a very extensive amount of work to allow for the game to display all cutscenes and screens of our protagonist as a customized character.

Nymphonomicon

Jan 10, 2019
The game has been advancing in terms of content and I've also been working on systems that would allow me to achieve what I wished for in the first place for the text game, by abandoning the time system and having all areas as open-world instead of a few but well developed ones.
I'm rather disappointed the G force test warmup scene doesn't include an outcome where Amani and "Emma" wind up photographed with their jumpsuits open. Have you considered giving the player more than two options in scenes?

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ashani

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
>still no aliens
Yes, it's been too long without aliens, that's why it's my focus from now on.

Always freezes for me during the conservation with the physician (pretty much at the start of the game)
What platform? If Windows, can you export a save before it happens and upload it?

I had a great experience playing the HTML version.... first time I am playing the 2d version and it has been disappointing. Visual glitches... broken save games..... clunky interface. Heck I made a saved game and decided to reload it 5 minutes later and all the other characters had disappeared...... in fact every same game except perhaps the ones made at the beginning have disappearing NPCs....

Oh man... indeed the game is hella buggy.... I loaded a saved game where I finished the 1st hospital mission (1st day?). I did all the lewd stuff to get the bets results and made a saved game when it was finished..... but when I load that saved game... it seems that it loaded with the worst result possible.... check your global variables please.... it doesn't seem to be saving properly.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
So regarding the bugs, the HTML game was actually very buggy and a mess to fix because of JavaScript. One reason why I moved to Unity even though I didn't know how it works back then was because it was supposed to be less difficult to fix bugs.

If you want to help me fix them, and trust me that I'd actually try to fix them since they're my primary focus outside of new content, can you answer the following:
  1. What did you mean by Visual Glitches?
  2. Those broken saves, you are able now to save them to a file if you're playing on Windows, and if you do can you upload them in a reply? Any saves that lead to the game being broken.
  3. What platform did you play on? Windows, WebGL, etc?
  4. Clunky interface in what way?
  5. The hospital mission bug I'm aware of, I guess it may be worth to try to fix it so the variable gets serialized since it seems pretty important to players. Sorry that this happened.

Same here. Looks like this update is quite buggy.
Could you please go into details?

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
Thanks this is what I came to find out.
It'll happen this month so it'll hit the public build not too long from now, with hopefully enough bugfixes to not "ruin the experience".

While that would be greatly appreciated, I imagine it would require a very extensive amount of work to allow for the game to display all cutscenes and screens of our protagonist as a customized character.
So that was one issue in the text game, people were asking why doesn't the character in the drawings look like the ones they created and well that complaint was valid from a player's perspective yet from a developer's perspective it was difficult to figure out if it's even possible. There were many attempts to try to at least change the hair color based on the scene, but they weren't really going anywhere and it was too much out of my scope which was working on content.

I think that in 3D games it's much easier to allow character customization, at least, hair colors, hair styles, chest size, especially if you have a good physics system. Skyrim has physics mods that allow a lot of customization for the character(s) you create, but in 2D games it's not really possible sadly.

I'm rather disappointed the G force test warmup scene doesn't include an outcome where Amani and "Emma" wind up photographed with their jumpsuits open. Have you considered giving the player more than two options in scenes?
Yes, there was a plan for a minigame where you'd try to help Amani and if you don't manage the bad ending would be similar to what you describe, but there wasn't enough time in a month to develop more content and also that minigame... I'd really like in the future to introduce more minigames during encounters/situations like that and make the consequence ending a bit more impactful, but I can't risk it until I figure out how these bugs are happening to some players but not to me, not allowing me to troubleshoot them and fix them.

Simple choices may not be impactful enough I think, and when you introduce a bit of tension that requires player input isn't that more entertaining?

There's also a stealth minigame in the works that's supposed to include more outcomes.

radohak

Apr 15, 2019
Sorry that I didn't. I downloaded it from here and just started a new game, by the time I approached the first talk with the physician and the conversation had to end, it froze. After that I downloaded the game from somewhere else (probably does not matter) and started a new, same choices (except that I agreed with that colleague before the doctor) and this time it didn't froze. I haven't met really something big after that. Yeah, definitely NPCs talk to themselves in the air, switching text weirdly, or sometimes I have troubles to position to talk with someone, but these are kinda not polished things instead.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
Sorry that I didn't. I downloaded it from here and just started a new game, by the time I approached the first talk with the physician and the conversation had to end, it froze. After that I downloaded the game from somewhere else (probably does not matter) and started a new, same choices (except that I agreed with that colleague before the doctor) and this time it didn't froze. I haven't met really something big after that. Yeah, definitely NPCs talk to themselves in the air, switching text weirdly, or sometimes I have troubles to position to talk with someone, but these are kinda not polished things instead.
No problem, thanks for taking the time to get into it.

When you downloaded the game from somewhere else, was it another media link on f95 or did you go to the itch page?

Also, about NPCs talking to themselves in the air, switching text weirdly, do you have examples of this happening? Are they the bubble speeches above their heads?

If you can, could also link me where you downloaded the game from and it lagged at the physician dialogue. I'm starting to believe Unity is cursed in general, because I'm not sure how these gamebreaking bugs can happen one time and the next time they don't.

Xcritu

Sep 24, 2022
Yes, it's been too long without aliens, that's why it's my focus from now on.

What platform? If Windows, can you export a save before it happens and upload it?

So regarding the bugs, the HTML game was actually very buggy and a mess to fix because of JavaScript. One reason why I moved to Unity even though I didn't know how it works back then was because it was supposed to be less difficult to fix bugs.

If you want to help me fix them, and trust me that I'd actually try to fix them since they're my primary focus outside of new content, can you answer the following:
  2. Those broken saves, you are able now to save them to a file if you're playing on Windows, and if you do can you upload them in a reply? Any saves that lead to the game being broken.
  3. What platform did you play on? Windows, WebGL, etc?
  4. Clunky interface in what way?
  5. The hospital mission bug I'm aware of, I guess it may be worth to try to fix it so the variable gets serialized since it seems pretty important to players. Sorry that this happened.

2. Before the character was not "walking" but after reinstalling the character now walks.
    • The stats bar is tooooooo smalllllll (not just the stat bar but also the character screen that shows what you are wearing)..... regardless of resolution:
    • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  3. Those broken saves, you are able now to save them to a file if you're playing on Windows, and if you do can you upload them in a reply? Any saves that lead to the game being broken.
    • I attached three saved files. One of then is before the sim room event for your convenience.
    • Definitely, the simulation room is buggy.... better save before entering the simulation room for the test. When saving inside the room and reloading, the NPCs are not loaded, you should check on that.
  4. What platform did you play on? Windows, WebGL, etc?
    • Windows
  5. Clunky interface in what way?
    • Directional keys moves the character faster than the mouse clicking.
    • It seems you misplaced some spawn points. Coming from the classroom hallway to the 03 and 04 hallway you appear on the right side, whereas you should appear on the left side.
    • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    • It would be nice to have another key that moves along text rather than use space for everything. Sometimes in the fervor of skipping text by pressing space many times, you can accidentally do the action again...

I don't know if this is an event trigger bug, or on purpose.... on the third day, even before the simulation room. As soon as you get out of your room, and try to go back in, you get the blackmail letter event..... I would have thought that the trigger for this event would be at least after finishing the simulation test.

Last edited:

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
  2. Before the character was not "walking" but after reinstalling the character now walks.
    • The stats bar is tooooooo smalllllll (not just the stat bar but also the character screen that shows what you are wearing)..... regardless of resolution:
  3. Those broken saves, you are able now to save them to a file if you're playing on Windows, and if you do can you upload them in a reply? Any saves that lead to the game being broken.
    • I attached three saved files. One of then is before the sim room event for your convenience.
    • Definitely, the simulation room is buggy.... better save before entering the simulation room for the test. When saving inside the room and reloading, the NPCs are not loaded, you should check on that.
  4. What platform did you play on? Windows, WebGL, etc?
    • Windows
  5. Clunky interface in what way?
    • Directional keys moves the character faster than the mouse clicking.
    • It seems you misplaced some spawn points. Coming from the classroom hallway to the 03 and 04 hallway you appear on the right side, whereas you should appear on the left side.
    • It would be nice to have another key that moves along text rather than use space for everything. Sometimes in the fervor of skipping text by pressing space many times, you can accidentally do the action again...

I don't know if this is an event trigger bug, or on purpose.... on the third day, even before the simulation room. As soon as you get out of your room, and try to go back in, you get the blackmail letter event..... I would have thought that the trigger for this event would be at least after finishing the simulation test.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to report these issues :)

1. Visual Glitches. So, the issue got fixed after reinstalling. By reinstalling, do you mean deleting the folder of the game then unzipping the archive again? Was the character animation for walking not playing as soon as you were starting the game? I'm not sure what I can do to see what happened here, the game shouldn't really run if it was unzipped unsuccessfully but knowing Unity...
2. The stats bar being too small. Would this look better?
1706517741012.png
3. The character screen being too small. Would it be better if I doubled the size of everything in this screen?
1706517799855.png
4. The Day3/Sim Room content was definitely not working very well, thanks for providing the saves and for mentioning those issues as well. You were also correct in your suggestion that the letter quest/event shouldn't be triggerable before finishing the simulation room content, nice eye :) I fixed that as well together with your other mentions, but I need to do a full playtest and see if it's fixed properly.
5. Clunky Movement. So, regarding this, the further the cursor is from the character the faster she moves. The closer it is, the slower she moves. Do you think we should slow down keyboard movement or make mouse movement a bit faster, as in, the cursor doesn't need to be so far for the character to move into that direction?
6. Misplaced Spawn points. Sometimes I recycle the spawnpoints to remove points where issues can happen so I'd like to use the same spawnpoint when arriving into a specific location even if you can go into that location through 2 different corridors/portals. Would it be better if the spawnpoint was in the middle rather than close to one teleport point?
7. There's an auto skip button in the dialogue UI which automatically moves the dialogue text forward with a 0.3s delay and stops when a choice can be made. It's also possible to advance dialogue by clicking rather than using space. Would you like a separate button that advances dialogue but not enough that the automatically selected button gets "picked"? The current behaviour is due to the way the dialogue system is set up.

Again, thanks for sharing all these thoughts with me and I apologize for not answering last week. I've been very busy crunching for a new release.

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Because x86 is outdated <---- not technically true .

x86 32-bit is outdated . . . can't use above 4 GB's ram (except for 'special' conditions)

While, x86 64-bit is not . . . can use, (technically), 6+ TB's ram, it's more restricted by your Motherboard's capabilities :oops:, (according to Google . . . look it up yourself, if you don't believe ).

Just say'n .

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Well, tried this "new" version . . .

My character got "STUCK" in the 'Garden' !

Was moving the MC around to where the "hints?" told to go . . . got stuck over on the right side of the garden, near some female ? character, with a question symbol over their head . Once there , the MC was stuck, nothing could move her . Finally had to close down the window .

Was curious, I saw the character's 'paper-doll', and 'clothing' locations, but seems there was actually nothing there, even though she was wearing clothing . . . :oops: ?

Even though, I had a somewhat janky experience, before the things got stuck/froze, I'd still like to try it again, . . . after a 'fix' of course .

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
Well, tried this "new" version . . .

My character got "STUCK" in the 'Garden' !

Was moving the MC around to where the "hints?" told to go . . . got stuck over on the right side of the garden, near some female ? character, with a question symbol over their head . Once there , the MC was stuck, nothing could move her . Finally had to close down the window .

Was curious, I saw the character's 'paper-doll', and 'clothing' locations, but seems there was actually nothing there, even though she was wearing clothing . . . :oops: ?

Even though, I had a somewhat janky experience, before the things got stuck/froze, I'd still like to try it again, . . . after a 'fix' of course .
I'm updating the build today and it should be relatively more stable. I've updated the Unity LTS version from 2020 to 2022 and that should prevent those issues where your character may get stuck or the game freezes.

If you do notice more issues, please upload a save and take some screenshots/videos leading up to the issue. Once I'm able to reproduce such issues I'd fix them very quickly since even though some experiences may be janky I'm making as much of an effort as I can to provide a good experience and it can often happen that Unity itself may produce issues that don't really make sense.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
In the first (title) post MacOS is mentioned, but I can't seem to find where I can download it from.
It's in the downloadable zips.

1707488556118.png
Let me know if you need help installing it on macOS, I'm not sure if it's more complicated than moving that macos app into the applications folder.

Nymphonomicon

Jan 10, 2019
wtf was this creator thinking? the one with completely customizable female mc was a lot better than this.
I'm assuming the creator wanted to do a version of the game with animations, which is something the Unity engine can afford.
Unfortunately, character customization is much harder when you build in such an engine versus having a paperdoll character.

Sonar2020

Aug 29, 2019
Ok, the art is top notch. This alone has my interest. So many games lately have poor art work (they look like drawn by a 6yo). And so far the the plot is good. Now to play this more to see how much I will love it.

• Hey there
Reactions: SugarMint
2.30 star(s) 4 Votes