VN Unity Malevolent Planet Unity2D [The Mist Explorer & Scientist] [SugarMint]

2.30 star(s) 4 Votes

boulimanus

Jun 10, 2018
Love the art and the premise is interesting but it's so buggy. The weird navigation isn't even bothering me, just the bugs.
And the inventory is so wonky to use.

I've been in a situation where I wasn't able to move at all anymore after reloading a save a few times. Had to kill the game.
Albert disappeared from the gym when I reloaded a save there, making it impossible to progress and having to return to an older save.
I've had the D3 quest in D2 as I walked around but going to bed after, makes it a loop for patreon. Guessing there's no content for a real D3 then?

Could end up a fun little game but I wonder if those supporting it this early are happy so far.
Also wondering if most issues aren't due to a lack of optimisation as my laptop gets very hot playing this.

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
The top red square is the player bedroom, and the bottom red square is where your character is for some reason. I have an idea as to what could cause this, but the only way this could happen would be if your PC was lagging heavily when the player character was getting teleported to her bedroom.

So, you were not seeing the character in the first place because she was in another place. I'll investigate this more and see, but it's a pretty strange issue and not easily reproducible.
...Also wondering if most issues aren't due to a lack of optimisation as my laptop gets very hot playing this.
Perhaps optimization + some sort of conflicts in libraries or elsewhere in Unity could be involved. I say this because it would be pretty odd for my PC to be lagged without some serious wonkiness; I know the log file shows my 4090 RTX—that's running along with my i9-13900KF, 64GB DDR5, and NVMe 990 Pro m.2 drives—pretty sure it can run this without lagging under normal circumstances :)

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
Love the art and the premise is interesting but it's so buggy. The weird navigation isn't even bothering me, just the bugs.
And the inventory is so wonky to use.

I've been in a situation where I wasn't able to move at all anymore after reloading a save a few times. Had to kill the game.
Albert disappeared from the gym when I reloaded a save there, making it impossible to progress and having to return to an older save.
I've had the D3 quest in D2 as I walked around but going to bed after, makes it a loop for patreon. Guessing there's no content for a real D3 then?

Could end up a fun little game but I wonder if those supporting it this early are happy so far.
Also wondering if most issues aren't due to a lack of optimisation as my laptop gets very hot playing this.
Thanks for the feedback, would you mind answering the following?

1. The situation you're referencing, was it happening only with a specific save? If so, can you upload it? Assuming I can load it and get the same issue you're having, I'd be able to fix whatever's causing it in the first place.

2. About the loop for patreon, that's separating the public content from the patron content. I'm doing a slow rollout for public builds, but there's a new public release every month. This also allows me to get bug reports that are more specific to earlier parts of the game than the entirety of the game. Were you able to play the Suspicious Grass Quest? It includes a small part of what's supposed to be available in D3 and it's the new content in this release.

3. I ask for feedback from anyone who's supporting me and strangely enough I don't really get complaints about performance and others, I'm even surprised when people can play the android build without apparent issues considering I have never had enough time to test that one thoroughly. About optimization, I've ran profiler tools and everything appears to be normal, that's what makes any performance issue difficult to troubleshoot. Did you notice your laptop getting hot during the entire gameplay, or it was happening during specific levels?

4. About the weird navigation, are you referencing the current walking animation? That's going to be updated in one of the next builds.

5. The inventory is wonky to use indeed, that's why it's not crucial to use it to progress with content. I wanted to add the inventory system ahead of time because we'll need it. Did you notice any specific issues with it when trying to play the game normally, or did you just experiment with equipping/unequipping random items and noticed the bugs?

Perhaps optimization + some sort of conflicts in libraries or elsewhere in Unity could be involved. I say this because it would be pretty odd for my PC to be lagged without some serious wonkiness; I know the log file shows my 4090 RTX—that's running along with my i9-13900KF, 64GB DDR5, and NVMe 990 Pro m.2 drives—pretty sure it can run this without lagging under normal circumstances :)
I'm also running a relatively high-end PC with a 13700K, 32GB DDR5, RTX 4090 and so on, but I haven't had lag so in your case did you actually notice any lag or did this bug occur out of the sudden? I'm not sure if you'd be able to record a video of how it happens if you can actually reproduce it, that'd actually help me a lot. Meanwhile I'm running some tests to see if I can do something to make it happen, but it's difficult.

boulimanus

Jun 10, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, would you mind answering the following?
1. Alberto disappearing is extremely simple. Just play until you're supposed to meet him in the gym. Do the two machines to make him spawn but don't talk to him. Save. Reload the game and he's gone, making progress impossible.

2. I was able to play the Suspicious Grass Quest during Day 2 yes

3. Laptop gets hot during the entire gameplay

4. About the weird navigation, are you referencing the current walking animation? Yes, and the way icons appear or disappear and doesn't seem to be linked on whether you can interact or not. No walking animation isn't bothering me that much mind you.

5. Inventory is only a pain when equipping/unequipping items. Doesn't feel like you can control much.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
1. Alberto disappearing is extremely simple. Just play until you're supposed to meet him in the gym. Do the two machines to make him spawn but don't talk to him. Save. Reload the game and he's gone, making progress impossible.

4. About the weird navigation, are you referencing the current walking animation? Yes, and the way icons appear or disappear and doesn't seem to be linked on whether you can interact or not. No walking animation isn't bothering me that much mind you.

5. Inventory is only a pain when equipping/unequipping items. Doesn't feel like you can control much.
Thanks for taking the time to reply :) I have attached Unity's profiler to my game and I notice some strange issues, such as performance being better on the "best" setting than it is on the "lowest" setting, means that something is amiss. I will investigate more and possibly the September release will not have these problems o_O

I will check your other points and see what I can do to make the experience better.

boulimanus

Jun 10, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to reply :) I have attached Unity's profiler to my game and I notice some strange issues, such as performance being better on the "best" setting than it is on the "lowest" setting, means that something is amiss. I will investigate more and possibly the September release will not have these problems o_O

I will check your other points and see what I can do to make the experience better.
Interesting. I was playing on 'simple' so with that info, maybe next time I'll use 'fantastic' instead, at least as a temporary solution.

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020

Thanks a lot for reporting the first point, that's indeed a bug. It's fixed now in the code so it should work fine in the next release.

About your third point, I've remade the quality settings for the game and now there are 3 which should use less resources compared to before, meaning that it shouldn't get that much out of your laptop. Does your laptop run at above 60hz by any chance?

About the fourth point, there'll be an update to the walking animation because it'll turn into a four directional one with new chibi sprites. About the icons, sometimes they don't get updated properly when you finish an interaction, but in the latest content I've adopted better habits that are a bit difficult to put in previous content because it can lead to bugs...

About the fifth point, I guess I should've probably not let the user actually equip and unequip items until latter in the game when the inventory system is supposed to do something. I will give it a bit of thought.

Interesting. I was playing on 'simple' so with that info, maybe next time I'll use 'fantastic' instead, at least as a temporary solution.
Because of the new quality settings, it might be better to wait for the next build. However, if you feel in the mood for testing, I can make a build for you with the new quality settings if you'd want to compare the difference.

Priappus

Engaged Member
Nov 21, 2019
Great game, but I'm sorry it stuck on me when I went to sleep,found in the space.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickNo

YakuzaZzz

Donor
Sep 28, 2017
The BDSM content is coming in the next public build, I'll add the tag then.
U might want to stop using unity their new policy is that for each installments of the game you owe Unity 20 cents now lets say
150 k download and install your game idk how you gonna manage >...>

Reactions: Clawran

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
Is the medical test supposed to to fail? I passed every examination with flying colors (even the pervert ones) so why did Miller say that we failed in the end...?

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
Great game, but I'm sorry it stuck on me when I went to sleep,found in the void.
I'm glad you like it and I apologize for that bug, there was one other person who had this issue and I could never reproduce it. So, you went to sleep at the end of Day2 (after the classroom content) and afterwards your character was in the void.

Did you play on Windows? If so, can you please send me the save file? It'd be helpful to get the save file before you went to sleep as well, I can definitely fix this bug quickly.

Yay new update! I cannot wait for the further updates! I really do support this game!
Thanks a lot for the kind words! I hope you will enjoy the upcoming content as well :)

U might want to stop using unity their new policy is that for each installments of the game you owe Unity 20 cents now lets say
150 k download and install your game idk how you gonna manage >...>
You need to make at least 200k for that thing to come into effect, but yes it can ruin many of us. I am considering porting to Godot eventually, but I can't do this right now because I don't want to leave people without steady content and I'm nowhere near the $200k mark anyway (in fact, I'm not even near the 2k-3k mark).

so each time install unity charging dev money eh? :ROFLMAO:
Let's hope they backtrack on it.

Looks like there is a long road ahead better wait a couple years
I'm pretty committed to the development of this game and even though it'll take some time to have a ton of content, I'm always open to suggestions and feedback on the way to make sure everything gets better and better with time.

Is the medical test supposed to to fail? I passed every examination with flying colors (even the pervert ones) so why did Miller say that we failed in the end...?
No, the medical test isn't supposed to fail, do you have a save right before you talk to Morris after the third round? You can also consider that the requirements to pass are pretty strict, for each round you get a pass/fail depending on the score you accumulate within that round.

Last edited:

SugarMint

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2020
View attachment 2928788
View attachment 2928789
I can't continue the quest and get out of here, the game asks me to visit Patreon
That's intentional, the content for the public build is stable compared to the content that's not yet available in the public build. Every month, I spend a few days optimizing the content that's supposed to be released for the public in order to prevent players from having issues.

That in addition to the fact that the patron builds are supposed to be ahead of the public build in terms of content.

2.30 star(s) 4 Votes