Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Good evening,

When i do play this game, or others, i can see there are sounds settings : voices, musics, etc... But none of them are working, i'll be very thanksful if you can help me to fix it. (I do play it on my computer)

Radkhyn.
The only sounds that you will hear in the game are whenever you purchase anything from the shopping mall or supermarket, when you go to the street map, visit the beach with the girls on Sunday mornings, or use public transportation or taxi to travel (as they both cost money), when you go into Club Neon and in the animation from the main menu. Voices and music (except for the main menu) haven't been included.

radkhyn

Nov 12, 2019
Oh ok thanks you, i tried some similars game and i found only 1 game where sounds is working for everything ^^ so i thought i had problem with others, thanks thanks :)

Reactions: Sycho

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been playing Man of the House like all of you and my issue is the standard black screen instead of animations. I have Windows 10 x64, AMD Radeon R7 (primary) along with AMD Radeon R9 M385X. Before you begin to give me suggestions, I will list the fixes that I have tried but haven't had any luck with:

1. Disabled fullscreen optimization
2. Ran in compatibility mode
3. Ran as administrator
4. Disabled one of my graphics cards (this works, but the game becomes unbearably slow.)
5. Installed the latest driver updates and Windows updates

Now, as I have a lot of time on my hands, I got a little creative. I decided to do a complete factory reset on my computer. I kept all my personal files, while wiping everything else. When the computer finally booted up again, I turned Wi-Fi off and stopped the computer from performing any automatic updates. I also disabled all automatic updates so that they wouldn't be installed when I finally did activate Wi-Fi. It is during this time that I discovered that THE GAME WORKS FLAWLESSLY. Animations were fluent and menus worked perfectly. I thought that I had finally figured it out.

But then, I had to turn my computer off. When I came back to it later, I turned Wi-Fi back on to install back some of my apps that I had lost, but still making sure that the computer didn't install any Windows Updates or driver updates. I installed VLC Media Player, CCleaner, FastStone Image Viewer, Spotify, Netflix and Firefox.
After all of this, I decided to get back into the game. Black screen.

Now, I do not know alot about computers, but even to me this seems incredibly strange and puzzling. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? I'm having a hard time believing that any of the aforementioned apps did something to the game, and the only thing that has changed after turning the PC on again was that I turned on Wi-Fi, effectively enabling the computer to perform updates, even though I've disabled it from doing so.

Sorry if I rambled, I'm just at a loss.

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
The first thing your computer did was to update your graphic card drivers.

What driver version do you use right now?
The AMD versions that I find at least in the Device Manager menu are:

AMD Radeon R7 Version 21.19.512.0
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 M385X Version 21.19.512.0

I don't know if that's the correct info you wanted. Like I said, I'm not good with computers.

EDIT: I'm also unable to do any rollbacks to previous updates. Why do you think that is?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
The AMD versions that I find at least in the Device Manager menu are:

AMD Radeon R7 Version 21.19.512.0
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 M385X Version 21.19.512.0

I don't know if that's the correct info you wanted. Like I said, I'm not good with computers.

EDIT: I'm also unable to do any rollbacks to previous updates. Why do you think that is?
These are old drivers from 2017.
Go to AMD's website:
And download: Auto-Detect and install Radeon Graphics Drivers for Windows

1573655966100.png

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been playing Man of the House like all of you and my issue is the standard black screen instead of animations. I have Windows 10 x64, AMD Radeon R7 (primary) along with AMD Radeon R9 M385X. Before you begin to give me suggestions, I will list the fixes that I have tried but haven't had any luck with:

1. Disabled fullscreen optimization
2. Ran in compatibility mode
3. Ran as administrator
4. Disabled one of my graphics cards (this works, but the game becomes unbearably slow.)
5. Installed the latest driver updates and Windows updates

Now, as I have a lot of time on my hands, I got a little creative. I decided to do a complete factory reset on my computer. I kept all my personal files, while wiping everything else. When the computer finally booted up again, I turned Wi-Fi off and stopped the computer from performing any automatic updates. I also disabled all automatic updates so that they wouldn't be installed when I finally did activate Wi-Fi. It is during this time that I discovered that THE GAME WORKS FLAWLESSLY. Animations were fluent and menus worked perfectly. I thought that I had finally figured it out.

But then, I had to turn my computer off. When I came back to it later, I turned Wi-Fi back on to install back some of my apps that I had lost, but still making sure that the computer didn't install any Windows Updates or driver updates. I installed VLC Media Player, CCleaner, FastStone Image Viewer, Spotify, Netflix and Firefox.
After all of this, I decided to get back into the game. Black screen.

Now, I do not know alot about computers, but even to me this seems incredibly strange and puzzling. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? I'm having a hard time believing that any of the aforementioned apps did something to the game, and the only thing that has changed after turning the PC on again was that I turned on Wi-Fi, effectively enabling the computer to perform updates, even though I've disabled it from doing so.

Sorry if I rambled, I'm just at a loss.
It sounds like Windows installed Microsoft's own version of your video card drivers. That would be my guess. One thing I used to tell my clients when I was doing PC repair was "never allow Windows Update to manage the drivers for your hardware". One way or another, their drivers almost always mess something up.
  1. Go into Windows Update.
  2. Click "Advanced Options".
  3. Click "View your update history".
  4. Click "Uninstall updates".
Then scroll down the list and look for any updates related to your video card and uninstall them. Then, as cold_arctus suggested, download the auto detect tool from AMD's website and use that to find your drivers. Restart your machine if required. Then try playing MotH.

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
It sounds like Windows installed Microsoft's own version of your video card drivers.
I don't believe this to be the case since I made sure to check the list of Windows Updates after the factory reset before I turned on Wi-Fi for the first time. The list remains unchanged.

These are old drivers from 2017.
Go to AMD's website:
And download: Auto-Detect and install Radeon Graphics Drivers for Windows
This I will try. I'll get back to you once I'm done.

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
Alright, I have now updated both my graphics drivers to Version 26.20.13031.10003. I have still not performed any Windows Updates. The animations still don't work.

If it matters or helps, my game version is 1.0.2(extra).

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
The animations still don't work.
Wait.. are the animations not playing or is the entire game "black"? Meaning, you can start the game and select a new game / continue etc.. and just the animation on the main menu and in-game doesn't work?

For animation problem you should install K-Lite Codec pack - It is up to you which package (basic, standard etc) you want install.

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
Wait.. are the animations not playing or is the entire game "black"? Meaning, you can start the game and select a new game / continue etc.. and just the animation on the main menu and in-game doesn't work?

For animation problem you should install K-Lite Codec pack - It is up to you which package (basic, standard etc) you want install.
I have black screens instead of animations. Otherwise the game works fine. I'll try the codec like you suggested.

EDIT: Ok so I installed the basic pack. I didn't check or uncheck any boxes that weren't already checked or unchecked during the installation, and I rebooted my computer afterwards to be sure. Animations are still just black.

Should I maybe do a Windows Update?

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I have black screens instead of animations. Otherwise the game works fine. I'll try the codec like you suggested.

EDIT: Ok so I installed the basic pack. I didn't check or uncheck any boxes that weren't already checked or unchecked during the installation, and I rebooted my computer afterwards to be sure. Animations are still just black.

Should I maybe do a Windows Update?
Now try to deactivate one of your two graphic cards.

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
Now try to deactivate one of your two graphic cards.
I still get the same problem I've always had. The animations work with one graphics card deactivated, but now the game runs terribly. Also, the animations are of poor quality.

This is so bizarre. When I did the factory reset, the game played beautifully and the animations worked perfectly as well, which to me indicates that my computer can in fact handle this game. As soon as any updates are applied however, that's when the animations stop working.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I still get the same problem I've always had. The animations work with one graphics card deactivated, but now the game runs terribly. Also, the animations are of poor quality.
The same result if you deactivate the running card and enable the deactivated one?

Pls post your output_log file from APPDATA (a hidden folder in C://).

users/[YOURUSERNAME]/AppData/LocalLow/Faerin/Man of the house

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
The same result if you deactivate the running card and enable the deactivated one?

Pls post your output_log file from APPDATA (a hidden folder in C://).

users/[YOURUSERNAME]/AppData/LocalLow/Faerin/Man of the house
Initialize engine version: 2018.1.0f2 (d4d99f31acba)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
Renderer: Microsoft Basic Render Driver (ID=0x8c)
Vendor: (null)
VRAM: 3563 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.172 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'goInitController') is missing!

(Filename: Line: 1789)

UnloadTime: 0.870300 ms
Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 19)
UnloadTime: 0.367300 ms

Unloading 32 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 589.
Total: 38.440300 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.336000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.035600 ms MarkObjects: 37.025300 ms DeleteObjects: 0.042300 ms)

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 19)
UnloadTime: 9.329100 ms

Unloading 1 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1207.
Total: 40.549500 ms (FindLiveObjects: 2.832000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.112700 ms MarkObjects: 37.586200 ms DeleteObjects: 0.016500 ms)

[AVProVideo] Initialising AVPro Video (script v1.10.0 plugin v1.9.17) on Microsoft Basic Render Driver/Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1] (MT True) on WindowsPlayer Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug.bindings.h Line: 43)

[AVProVideo] Opening C:/Users/petri/OneDrive/Dokument/My Games/Man.of.the.House.v1.0.2/Man of the House v1.0.2 (extra)/Man of the house_Data/StreamingAssets\Main/intro.mp4 (offset 0) with API MediaFoundation

Loading savegame: C:/Users/petri/OneDrive/Dokument/My Games/Man.of.the.House.v1.0.2/Man of the House v1.0.2 (extra)//savegames/Peyton (11 - 22.12).sav

[AVProVideo] Using playback path: MF-MediaEngine-Software (1920x1080@29.97)

[AVProVideo] Shutdown

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 1ec4 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 1604 -> priority: 1

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Renderer: Microsoft Basic Render Driver (ID=0x8c)
Something is wrong with your system. The game can't find your graphic card and tries to run the game with Windows software. It should look like that:
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 250 Series (ID=0x682b)
Vendor: (null)
VRAM: 2025 MB
Driver: 26.20.13025.10004
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'goInitController') is missing!
No idea what this is, but it isn't right, because non of us gets this error. I'm going to ask Faerin later - maybe he knows.
OneDrive/Dokument/My Games
Pls. move the game to your desktop and try to start it from there.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Something is wrong with your system. The game can't find your graphic card and tries to run the game with Windows software. It should look like that:

No idea what this is, but it isn't right, because non of us gets this error. I'm going to ask Faerin later - maybe he knows.

Pls. move the game to your desktop and try to start it from there.
Maybe this link can help

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
That's no surprise lol.
Enable at least one of your graphic cards as instructed in Thermo's link. Attached are the old AVPro libraries. Pls replace them with the current one and try it can.

PS. Pls make sure one of your graphic cards is enabled and the game can find it. Check output_log file in AppData!
Maybe this link can help

ItsMePeyton

Nov 12, 2019
Enable at least one of your graphic cards as instructed in Thermo's link. Attached are the old AVPro libraries. Pls replace them with the current one and try it can.

PS. Pls make sure one of your graphic cards is enabled and the game can find it. Check output_log file in AppData!
Both of my graphics cards are enabled, always have been. When I disable one (doesn't matter which), the game runs incredibly slowly and the animations work, but the quality is horrible.

I really, really appreciate the help you guys have given me. Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far.