Man of the House Troubleshooting Help

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
So extremely stupid question here,
I just downloaded the game again after some time and I can't seem to save the game. After I save in game and I close it, it doesn't save in the file itself so when I open the game again I have to start all over again. Any clues as to what I need to do to fix this?
It sounds like you're trying to play the game from inside the RAR. You'll need to extract the files first to its own folder.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
So I just tried it and it worked, never had that problem before. So thank you very much
You're welcome. The reason you couldn't reload your save is because the "savegames" folder is required; which is where your saves will be stored. So MotH would need to be able to write your saves to the hard drive in order to do that. If you're playing from the archive, MotH can't write to your save.

Hansa357

Mar 9, 2021
So, I had trouble running the animations on this game. I have an RTX 2080ti. (win 10, 32GB Ram)
My log spit out this issue: [AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. File not found, codec not supported, video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.

I have the Steam version, but also downloaded one online to try and troubleshoot.
I tried every piece of advice on this (and many other ) thread, installing codeks, updating drivers, updating windows etc.

What finally worked for me was running the game on my integrated GPU, not the 2080ti.
I don't know why, but maybe it is an incompatibilty issue with the drivers or something?
Anyway, thought I would post it here, since I have been searching the web for five hours now trying to fix this issue.

Reactions: Sycho

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
So, I had trouble running the animations on this game. I have an RTX 2080ti. (win 10, 32GB Ram)
My log spit out this issue: [AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. File not found, codec not supported, video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.

I have the Steam version, but also downloaded one online to try and troubleshoot.
I tried every piece of advice on this (and many other ) thread, installing codeks, updating drivers, updating windows etc.

What finally worked for me was running the game on my integrated GPU, not the 2080ti.
I don't know why, but maybe it is an incompatibilty issue with the drivers or something?
Anyway, thought I would post it here, since I have been searching the web for five hours now trying to fix this issue.
Thank you for letting us know and also the workaround that helped you as well. :)

Without knowing what resolution you were playing the game in, that would be what I'd check first. It's been a while, but having your display set at 1920x1080 (and in the game as well), may fix this issue; unless you've tried that with no success.

Next thing I would take a look at would be installing Runtimes via the all-in-one pack.

Also, since it sounds as though you have a dual-GPU setup, another solution would be to open Control Panel, go into the Device Manager applet, expand "Display Adapters" and disable one or the other GPU. We have found that systems running dual GPU setups will show a black screen during the animated scenes.

• Wow
Reactions: TheDevian

Hansa357

Mar 9, 2021
Thank you for letting us know and also the workaround that helped you as well. :)

Without knowing what resolution you were playing the game in, that would be what I'd check first. It's been a while, but having your display set at 1920x1080 (and in the game as well), may fix this issue; unless you've tried that with no success.

Next thing I would take a look at would be installing Runtimes via the all-in-one pack.

Also, since it sounds as though you have a dual-GPU setup, another solution would be to open Control Panel, go into the Device Manager applet, expand "Display Adapters" and disable one or the other GPU. We have found that systems running dual GPU setups will show a black screen during the animated scenes.
My problem was that the animations just stopped, meaning I was left staring at a still image and had to shut down the game via alt tab/windows. I got the "speed controls" and the other UI elements and they were pressable, but nothing happened when they were toggled.

I tried disabling the integrated GPU, that did'nt help. I did not try disabling my main GPU though ...
I also tried different resolutions when I started the game, although I did not try changing my monitors resolution. I play at 4K, but I have also tried playing it at 1080p and all of my lower choices. (nothing in between) I also tried windowed mode and lower graphics settings.

I have C++ installed from before. Not sure what version, but I installed it about 4-6 months ago last.

Anyway, just played for almost an hour now and it looks like this did the trick.

(By the way my integrated GPU is an Intel UHD 630.)

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
My problem was that the animations just stopped, meaning I was left staring at a still image and had to shut down the game via alt tab/windows. I got the "speed controls" and the other UI elements and they were pressable, but nothing happened when they were toggled.

I tried disabling the integrated GPU, that did'nt help. I did not try disabling my main GPU though ...
I also tried different resolutions when I started the game, although I did not try changing my monitors resolution. I play at 4K, but I have also tried playing it at 1080p and all of my lower choices. (nothing in between) I also tried windowed mode and lower graphics settings.

I have C++ installed from before. Not sure what version, but I installed it about 4-6 months ago last.

Anyway, just played for almost an hour now and it looks like this did the trick.

(By the way my integrated GPU is an Intel UHD 630.)
We have had reports quite a while back when playing on a 4K monitor and I'm looking through the technical-support channel on our Discord but not finding the solution. So with a 4K monitor, I'd try 1920 x 1080 first and then go up from there in your resolution (both monitor and in the game) until you're able to see the animation without any issues. Sorry I don't have more info to offer, but that should be a good place to start. If I remember correctly, I think the resolution was somewhere in the 2000s or 3000s range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hansa357

shinobi95

Nov 28, 2020
I got black screen on start of the game. Tried some stuff on nvidia control panel such as changing the aspect ratio etc but no luck :( I can play other unity games without any problems.

CyberLad

Nov 15, 2018
Can someone help me? The game's just frozen after I sneak into the mom's room for the e-mail. (I'm still able to click on the dialog and hide interface but can't progress) Screenshot (50).png

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Yeah, here it is bro.
I'm unable to reproduce the freezing you're experiencing, Claire's hints work fine for me. But here is what you can try..

Go into the game's settings by clicking on the phone, then the cog near the bottom right (next to the power button). Uncheck "Limit framerate (30fps)" and then try going back to her door at 20:00.

If the problem persists, please upload your output log. It's located in:
C:\User\user-account\AppData\LocalLow\Faerin\Man of the House

Or use the Windows + R keys, type: %appdata%, then go back one folder and you'll see "LocalLow".

Reactions: CyberLad

CyberLad

Nov 15, 2018
I'm unable to reproduce the freezing you're experiencing, Claire's hints work fine for me. But here is what you can try..

Go into the game's settings by clicking on the phone, then the cog near the bottom right (next to the power button). Uncheck "Limit framerate (30fps)" and then try going back to her door at 20:00.

If the problem persists, please upload your output log. It's located in:
C:\User\user-account\AppData\LocalLow\Faerin\Man of the House

Or use the Windows + R keys, type: %appdata%, then go back one folder and you'll see "LocalLow".
I still have the same problem after following your solution. Here's my output log.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
v1.0.2c, bro. And I use English.
It is a strange issue. No one of us is able to reproduce. Possible that it is related to your system.

Back up your saves. Delete the game and extract a fresh copy of the game on your desktop and try to load your save again.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
v1.0.2c, bro. And I use English.
The best I could do is get you passed that scene since we're unable to reproduce it on our end. But if you have any other issues like that, please let us know and attach a new save along with a new log, please?

Thanks! :)

CyberLad

Nov 15, 2018
It is a strange issue. No one of us is able to reproduce. Possible that it is related to your system.

Back up your saves. Delete the game and extract a fresh copy of the game on your desktop and try to load your save again.
I re-extracted the game and now it works!
Thank you guys for your help. Appreciate it!

Reactions: cold_arctus

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I re-extracted the game and now it works!
Thank you guys for your help. Appreciate it!
You're welcome! Thanks for letting us know you got it working. Were you able to load your save and read Claire's diary? Or did you use the fixed one I attached?