MMD discussion/sharing

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
I tend to agree. However, it does depend creator & his specific circumstances.

Would you really say 'you can't blame' a guy like yandev for instance?
Yandev is a unique scenario in which he had the money, he had the time, he even had all the resources in the world when he got the support of a big company. But his own pride and sloth ruined his chances.
Could he have finished the game in the decade or so? Absolutely.
Could he have better spent his time and not spend it wanking and grooming children? For sure.
But as it stands Yandev remains a lesson on what not to do for anyone pursuing creative passions. Seeking monetization is fine, but as soon as you take a cent from anyone's wallet you must be willing to follow through with your promises. That's the trust built between the creator and the consumer.

REIKAMISHI

Mar 26, 2020
Y'all can't rly blame the creators for wanting to earn money from what they make, given that it takes time and effort, why would they spend so much time and effort just to satisfy coomers for free, it's like free labour. I'm talking about those who actually make good videos
Yeah, but some of them do some low effort works, i.e. clipping issues

Drake68655

May 13, 2017
Does anybody have an up to date collection of works?
Or even just the latest work from September?

smallMatt

Mar 22, 2018
What did iwara do to hurt its reputation?
It's hard to pinpoint exactly but
back when the site was going through its late pre-update and then mid-update phases, it would commonly wall a lot of the western audiences' traffic out, resulting in unserviceable speed or straight up non-access. For those who lived in Japan instead (common example), there used to be myriads of posting issues, sometimes having to repost the same content multiple times over different days just for it to exist at all, with weird quality or size limits given out on a dice roll.
The site also lost one if not two servers dedicated to video retrieval, which led to non resolution of an enormous number of links (also side functions got nuked randomly due to errors pretty much on the daily).
Lastly, and this is creator side only, many complained (and still do) about reposting running rampant. Addressing this is hard at best, but for many it warranted leaving the platform altogether to simply protect their work in a different way, be that a less spotlighted home to post from or a more "enclosed" community subscription, akin to a circle or free fantia model (there's also side sites with links and passwords as a method to navigate through their own works which is common for creators who frequent Twitter/X or Iwara/nico from the older days).

If I had to be fair, it's not that Iwara straight up ruined its reputation, it is rather failing at keeping up with the times/demands. We're moving farther away from the trollvids or 2017/18 iwara where the site was mostly the only real option for this niche, an aggregator even.

Creators have also been realizing that their hobby is mostly a time sink repaid with visibility, meaning that all those who deemed their craft to be worth a penny, ACTUALLY began looking out for platforms that would give them said penny. Led up to a large amount of big names moving away from Iwara in favor of subscriptions. Or even just background model/motion distribution.

Sorry for the wall, have a good day!

amomomo

Jul 19, 2023
Thanks for this! Btw where exactly are the mega link passwords actually hidden? The posts say to check the images but I got nothing
It seems that the megalink does not have a password listed.
I registered on two sites and downloaded it.

In the future, I will upload works that I personally think are good.

smallMatt

Mar 22, 2018
It's hard to comment on IWARA's approach. After all, it's just a free platform for creators to share and advertise their work. There are undeniably people who create purely for fun. But a lot of authors are earning a living from their creations. Plus, the Shirakami incident caused a lot of good authors to disappear. Now that the incident has passed, some authors are coming back to publish their works. As for your point about posting works on other platforms, that's true, but you have to pay a fee to watch one of the authors' works. patreon fantia
fanbo all cost money to watch. The best place to advertise in the beginning is IWARA and once you have a certain amount of popularity and traffic you won't post on IWARA. It will be posted on a paid platform. The problem is that a lot of newcomers only want handguns, and KK's convenient, violent and fast sex is perfect for that audience. That's why many authors are trying to cater to this situation by releasing a lot of KK.
But when you look at the rankings, you see that the good ones are the most popular.

PS.By the way, I'd like to ask. What other platforms are there where authors post and watch for free. And there are a lot of new people and a lot of creators joining the platforms. Can you tell me about them?
- Twitter/X is fairly common nowadays, although it's a fairly messy system if you ask me.
You have to find a starting point, then navigate from there to find more. Getting to new ones that only post there can become near impossible real fast.
- Nico/F2 are also common (?), especially for creators with ero/non ero versions. Kind of old.
- Chinese creators tend/used to frequent very niche forums, which are usually rather unfriendly for western speakers. Can't really give you names, have never frequented or gotten interested.
- pixiv is fairly common for the general audience, and can actually find you very niche creators.

smallMatt

Mar 22, 2018
Most creators want to make what they do because it's what they genuinely want to do and not for profit. But then you come to the conundrum of needing money to live and keep the power on and most of these creatives are already doing all this for sub-minimum wage. You can sometimes see how much a Patreon is making and 100 USD a month genuinely isn't enough to live off of for most modern countries. I'm personally of the mindset of paying for things that you actually found useful/enjoyable when it comes to online content. 5 bucks a month for something you actually like is amazingly cheap for a well made piece of animation/artwork when it should realistically cost you 2-3x that amount, maybe more. Support your artists and content creators, otherwise they will fade away and be replaced by AI and cheap, convenient alternatives.
I'd like to add, to give some love and fuel to those who invent, innovate or switch the cards up for the rest. Some folks who never made big numbers still hold the entire mmd community up in some way, or add nuances for others to pick up.
With AI, hmvs, edits and kkvmmd inbreeding scenes and motions, stagnation is feeling extra crispy.

Reactions: Fried_Squid

knorsoup

Dec 1, 2021
Honestly, between the huge influx of kkmmd creators just copy pasting models and scenes, hmvs or random blender animations posted like it's r34 and an enormous number of old mmd gods just retiring without that many new talents coming up to replace them it just feels like the "good old" times of mmd and iwara in general are gone. Doesn't help that the site itself has completely fucked over its own reputation for months and nowadays a lot of more inventive creators just stick to patreon/fantia/fanbox to make some coin.
What is kkmmd? Not the first time see it mentioned. Also, yeah, Iwara needs some proper alternative, with a competent team.

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
What is kkmmd? Not the first time see it mentioned. Also, yeah, Iwara needs some proper alternative, with a competent team.
Koikatsu MMD. It's a software that allows users to make customizable scenes. I haven't used it myself but I think it has a built in character editor? I could be entirely wrong. It does have advantages over traditional MMD such as nice physics on breasts and butts. There's also some sort of "card" system where you can share your models. Assuming the UI is more refined and has better tools that makes it a whole lot more accessible for the average Joe. That's good and all, but that also leads to the issue of oversaturation of repeated content with little to no alterations other than the character. That's not to say that MMD doesn't have it's own share of issues. There's a lot of copypasted motions, unintuitive UI that makes even Flash look advanced, physics that struggles against itself, and models being limited by the people who produce them. I personally don't think Koikatsu should be condemned right off the bat, but I do want to see better quality out of it.

Reactions: knorsoup

lottefish

Nov 25, 2022
Most creators want to make what they do because it's what they genuinely want to do and not for profit. But then you come to the conundrum of needing money to live and keep the power on and most of these creatives are already doing all this for sub-minimum wage. You can sometimes see how much a Patreon is making and 100 USD a month genuinely isn't enough to live off of for most modern countries. I'm personally of the mindset of paying for things that you actually found useful/enjoyable when it comes to online content. 5 bucks a month for something you actually like is amazingly cheap for a well made piece of animation/artwork when it should realistically cost you 2-3x that amount, maybe more. Support your artists and content creators, otherwise they will fade away and be replaced by AI and cheap, convenient alternatives.
Couldn't agree more, I'm very close to your thoughts.
I admire those creators who are able to finish one original animation a month and have to go to work at the same time.
The only time they can make an animation is after work.
So they have to work hard all night long.

When other people are sleeping and playing, they are working on their ideas and timeline, and then they sleep for 2-4 hours, sometimes they even go to work directly after work, and then when they finish an original animation, the next month is already here, and they have to start working on a new one, they don't stop at all, which is not something that many people would think about.

So I think those creators who can make one original animation per month are definitely qualified to charge $5.
Excluding whether or not they need to rent a cloud or a program like PR.
Considering just the equipment, the electricity, and the creators' effort, $5 is really too little. (Original content only)
Even if it's $15, that's two meals at most.
If you send your favorite creator two meals a month, you can help him, keep him motivated, and then you can see your favorite things every month, you have a happy time, it's worth it.

Reactions: Fried_Squid