3D-Daz Fan Art 3D-Mixed Mom 3D Only

4.90 star(s) 10 Votes

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
uh no. I know the difference between orange and brown. and this character is orange. I should know, I made an orange character. you can tell from the yellow and red tones in the skin.

View attachment 1340368 View attachment 1340370

This is what brown skin looks like View attachment 1340369
DAZ has the 'orange disease' in general. So many of its models' textures have skin tones that can only be achieved by frying for six hours every day in a tanning bed.
As an example, Aunt Jenna's model from Dreams of Desire, which uses standard Opelia 7 textures:

AuntHaEpOutfit.jpg

The same comment applies to those models you say have a brown skin tone. My own perception draws them not even a daily tanning bed, but a grandfather or even a daddy from somewhere in Zimbabwe, with a skin tone like former President Mugabe. That is, I perceive them as mulatto (sorry, no negativity, I am Russian and did not participate in any kind slave trade),

As a result, 3D-artists who can give their models a normal Caucasoid skin tone become some kind of 'uncut diamonds in kimberlite clay', for which you have to dig through tons of very mediocre content on DAZ and other 3D vendors' websites.

In this regard, I am very fond of the work of , whose textures I use as a base for the skin of my models.

eClaire21052020.jpg

No orange skin, but you had to try.

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
DAZ has the 'orange disease' in general. So many of its models' textures have skin tones that can only be achieved by frying for six hours every day in a tanning bed.
As an example, Aunt Jenna's model from Dreams of Desire, which uses standard Opelia 7 textures:

View attachment 1340461

The same comment applies to those models you say have a brown skin tone. My own perception draws them not even a daily tanning bed, but a grandfather or even a daddy from somewhere in Zimbabwe, with a skin tone like former President Mugabe. That is, I perceive them as mulatto (sorry, no negativity, I am Russian and did not participate in any kind slave trade),

As a result, 3D-artists who can give their models a normal Caucasoid skin tone become some kind of 'uncut diamonds in kimberlite clay', for which you have to dig through tons of very mediocre content on DAZ and other 3D vendors' websites.

In this regard, I am very fond of the work of , whose textures I use as a base for the skin of my models.

View attachment 1340477

No orange skin, but you had to try.
I have never had any oranging issues. I only use Gen8 models and with every model, you have to turn down the translucency to 0.50. Also helps to turn on Specularity.

Fox Reiven.png Ginger Big Butt.png Goth Bunnygirl CG.png Hestia VKS Height Wall.png

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I have never had any oranging issues. I only use Gen8 models and with every model, you have to turn down the translucency to 0.50. Also helps to turn on Specularity.
I'll try to explain the disadvantage of the 'keep translucency and specularity to a minimum' approach. Yes, indeed, you can easily remove the 'orange character skin' effect this way, because the subdermal layer in the DAZ Uber shader mechanics is always darker than the outer layer responsible for Lambert diffuse scattering.

However, with this approach, the model also loses all important SSS (sub surface scattering) effects such as light scattering on thin parts of ears or on fingers. The skin of the model becomes 'flat' and unexpressive, which by the way, is clearly visible on your renders.

Reducing specularity has the same effect: the model loses important anisotropic light scattering, which is essential for feeling moist, smooth or covered by a layer of natural fat skin. Of course, specularity effects are especially important for eyes, lips, fingernails and toenails, but they should not be underestimated for the rest of the skin either.

It's especially funny when artists first 'kill' all the specularity of the skin and then put a wet shell on the model to somehow depict massage oil or pool water... and finally they get Barbie dolls with 'plastic' skin.

But generally speaking, if you're interested in the fine-tuning of the DAZ Uber skin shader, I recommend this tutorial course. It's good, very good: for official link: .

iClaire28082020Beauty.jpg
On this render: no wet shell, only own skin of the model with tweaked shader parameters.

ClaireFrame10c.jpg
Two shaders (dry and wet) on the same model. No wet shell as well.

Last edited:

Decus

May 13, 2019
uh no. I know the difference between orange and brown. and this character is orange. I should know, I made an orange character. you can tell from the yellow and red tones in the skin.
I am immensely and certainly happy with the fact that you are able to distinguish orange from brown. This is great and wonderful. My message to Jojozz was not about color, but doubt. If my message has upset or offended you.., please forgive me.
PS
My personal observation: A good half of the works-images posted here are not balanced in color, especially in white.

• Angry
Reactions: ArturiousDesign

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
I will copy one more private message, since the topic of shaders has caught the readers' attention.

The main drawback of the translucency/specularity (glossiness) control approach is that the Iray Uber Shader always counts on some portion of the light passing through translucency or being reflected through specularity and dual lobe. Dual lobe, incidentally, is the third parameter that has not been mentioned yet, but which gives the best, 'softest' reflections from the skin.

Of course, if light is falling on the scene from all sides (which is the case, for example, if you have the Dome and Scene option enabled in the Render Settings tab), you'll barely notice it. Since in such a conditions you get mainly diffuse scattering of light. But in many renders, other parts of the light scattering are extremely important. For example, in this render, where a lot of light passes to the camera through the models themselves, shining through their delicate parts (no postwork, just DAZ render):

dClaireJulia16052020.jpg

Also, I prefer dual lobe to pure specularity (glossiness) parameter because the former gives two 'lobes' of light scattering (strong and weak reflex), while the latter has only one lobe, and a narrower one. So specularity is good for some stainless steel kettle, but not for the complex structure of human skin.

Often, in order to achieve good reflection effect with pure specularity, which will not resemble Barbie dolls and her friend Ken, artists go for a trick: set the bump map parameter somewhere close to 10 or even higher.

This works well on the overall look, but creates a wonderful sandpaper effect when approaching the model's skin in close-up. With dual lobe you have the ability to stay in the golden mean between 'Barbie doll' and 'sandpaper', simply because this part of the Iray Uber shader was made just for materials like human skin. And, yes, dual lobe is much more PBR shader then pure specularity (glossiness in Iray), since in real world it is rare to encounter a narrowly-directed reflection of light - it is usually only produced by mirrored surfaces

Example (no postwork, just DAZ render, mainly dual lobe scattering with minimum glossiness and bump):

gClaire28052020Beauty.jpg

And, finally, some links.

If you don't want to bother with 'wet shells', I can recommend this product: .

In general, all v3digitimes products are very good, she (this is girl) obviously does a lot of modelling herself, so she makes them very clear and user-friendly. I, for example, always use , it allows you to do almost all the necessary manipulations in two or three clicks, without having to manually dig through the tabs of all numerous G8F texture regions.

So, highly recommended, just a placer of diamonds:

Deleted member 34473

Engaged Member
May 15, 2017
I am immensely and certainly happy with the fact that you are able to distinguish orange from brown. This is great and wonderful. My message to Jojozz was not about color, but doubt. If my message has upset or offended you.., please forgive me.
PS
My personal observation: A good half of the works-images posted here are not balanced in color, especially in white.
the first thing to do in post work is to calibrate the white and I think almost everyone does it, but many of us use filters ... effects and lights that change the coloring, so you often see strong or dull colors ... but not why not it has been adjusted .. but because it was wanted so, in my case I have an old and poor hardware, so much of the work is done on photoshop, I like that you participate in these discussions, behind every work at least in my case there are many hours, many think that we all have super hardware and it takes us 5 minutes and many judge superficially, these posts are also used to understand our point of view .. (y)

Decus

May 13, 2019
the first thing to do in post work is to calibrate the white and I think almost everyone does it, but many of us use filters ... effects and lights that change the coloring, so you often see strong or dull colors ... but not why not it has been adjusted .. but because it was wanted so, in my case I have an old and poor hardware, so much of the work is done on photoshop, I like that you participate in these discussions, behind every work at least in my case there are many hours, many think that we all have super hardware and it takes us 5 minutes and many judge superficially, these posts are also used to understand our point of view .. (y)
You're right, in the end it all comes down to the artist's preference.
It's hard to believe that you have weak equipment...
The exceptional quality of your work suggests the opposite.
Photoshop is a great tool and the ability to use it, a huge plus.

4.90 star(s) 10 Votes