My Daz questions: As I learn it

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
27 minutes to render this image but it doesn't seem as clear as I'd like most of the stuff looks great but the character looks a little out of focus? or is it just my lack of sleep addled brain? (stock HD character without my custom presets applied but I was testing the scene for render times with a HD character in it, but i'm not showing shots of my custom characters until game release).

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
weird squiggles, cant tell if that's hair collision or problems with the LIE or geoshell maybe? right at the hairline
Yeah I have the same problem with certain angles/poses/hairstyles (inculding the character that is in my profile picture). I just fix it in GIMP. it takes just a couple of minutes using the repair (bandaid) and/or clone tool (rubber stamp) once you get the hang of it. This one might be a bit trickier than mine though because it is so close to the hairline (where mine appeared on the forhead.)

27 minutes to render this image but it doesn't seem as clear as I'd like most of the stuff looks great but the character looks a little out of focus? or is it just my lack of sleep addled brain? (stock HD character without my custom presets applied but I was testing the scene for render times with a HD character in it, but i'm not showing shots of my custom characters until game release).
I see what you mean but I'd almost say it is only the hair that looks really fussy (bit hard to see in the picture)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
grinding away for the last couple hours I now have two custom redhead sisters that look almost alike but ones definitely the ugly sister muahahahahahah Who doesn't love readheads?

this is neither of them...LOL

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
so I posted this question on the 3d software assistance the other day but havent had any bites yet I figured I'd throw it in here, then I'm going to open Daz and mess with it and see if I can figure out wtf I'm doing wrong.

I just scooped up urban sprawl 2 big city (man there's a lot of stuff on sale right now) but when I try to render the full set with camera and lights loaded in IRAY its a completely black screen. with basic gl its grainey but lit (and I get the warning that obscuring the viewport may reduce quality), open gl it's clearer but very dark (same warning about obscuring viewport).... can some one explain to my ignorant brain wtf I'm doing wrong. (rendering in 3delight right now and it seems to look the best and true, but I want to be able to use this with IRAY if possible. Are the lights not compatible with Iray?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
so after dicking around for a bit apparently the lights are outside the sky dome? so if I load the scene without the sky lights up just fine.... black sky anyone?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
so oddly enough no matter what I do when I load the city as a scene it blacks out in Iray, if I load each of the four sections seperately into the scene (creating the same full size city), I can render it no problem? I thought I had it figured because the lights were starting either outside the "sky dome" or under the surface of the ground. (probably because when this was designed all distant lights had no true origin) but now they do so all the lights are at weird locations. but even loading the city as a scene and adding my own lights causes it to black out. but if I load the four quadrants separately no issues. I still dont get it but at least I found a work around

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I don't have this specific asset, but if it blacks out with a sky dome, why don't you try a hdri instead?
Also, a few time I had a black render in iray when there were too much stuff for the render to handle.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
ok so I spent another frustrating evening beating my head off the key board. after 3 and a half hours changing settings rendering and re-changing settings I fount the key to my dismay. dome radius.... under render settings. the dome was too small so I kept getting crappy renders like this... Screenshot_75.png
dark and shitty... loaded with fireflies

cranking the dome size up it made a significant difference
Screenshot_76.png Screenshot_75.png Screenshot_76.png

better lit, (far from perfect) but lit enough that Iray didn't struggle so hard.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I can honestly understand why so many people give up, if I wasn't a completely stubborn asshole I'd have probably just went back to playing other peoples games, the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn (read it slowly).

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I'm certain theres two key things to a great life: First figure out what it is you like, find a calling. second, learn how to freaking learn and the world will open up to you.

• Sad
Reactions: Ludvinae and Cul

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
And to be fair, even movie studios also film in a "gray" format, which is given "contrast" by people who know about color. Or with "LUTs" which convert A to B.

Your image has the information to make this

View attachment 582262

I have also noticed most "bad" or "average" Daz renders tend to fall into the same camps, so in theory LUTs could carry half the weight, after some good lighting in Daz. At least so a 2 hour render is not wasted. :D
I'd like to be able to get near that color level and contrast in the render. If you had a tip on that it would be great this scene is only roughly an 11 minute render time. maybe not quite that intense since the building looks fairly old I would think that the red of the brick might be a little less intense.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I'd like to be able to get near that color level and contrast in the render. If you had a tip on that it would be great this scene is only roughly an 11 minute render time.
Use tone mapping in render settings.

Reactions: Cul

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Use tone mapping in render settings.
oh dear lord there's so many settings in there to mess up... I mean adjust. This is going to take a while to figure out lol (I'm glad there is a default button) ( switched to a different smaller scene with only a 2 minute render time and a lot of different colors apparent in the scene ) so I can frig around with this and sort it out.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I didn't bother throwing a sky in but use a single distant light (to reduce variables) and play around with color saturation and render settings, I'm much happier with this color balance, (I came back to this same building as before as reference, different camera angle but it's the same facade). I did notice that obviously higher color saturation lead to slightly increased render times (differences in seconds really but each notch up increased time by a little) warning full sized screen shot

Last edited:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has chimed in with advice over the last several months, this is a blast (even when it's infuriating) I have a long way to go still but i'm getting better, and with just a couple more outfits, hair and one or two more environments I'll be ready to start producing final renders (and I use that term loosely) for the game. I have a couple of the scenes pre set (*still working on proper lighting modifying set up etc), and dozens of my own pre-set poses built to apply in various situations.

I will of course continue to ask stupid questions as we (I) go along and hope you people with experience will continue to aid my quest to create a sub-par yet humorous game.

Thanks again everybody!

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I didn't bother throwing a sky in but use a single distant light (to reduce variables) and play around with color saturation and render settings, I'm much happier with this color balance, (I came back to this same building as before as reference, different camera angle but it's the same facade). I did notice that obviously higher color saturation lead to slightly increased render times (differences in seconds really but each notch up increased time by a little) warning full sized screen shot
Use this
https://f95zone.to/threads/da-real-world-lighting.45068/

It will get you something like this, I never touch anything in the render settings apart from the iterations etc, any colour or saturation I do in photoshop. town.jpg

The Aldi and the sky are photshopped behind the street.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
honestly I don't have photoshop yet and have zero clue how to use it. I am going to do the best I can with daz for now, if i can scoop up that lighting asset in the future that may come in handy. I will add it to my wishlist.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
that hilarious moment when you are just playing with new stuff and kind of accidentally fit one shoe to another to see what happens

Reactions: osanaiko