My Daz questions: As I learn it

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
seriously still lacking in all the props I need to start shooting my renders for my game. overall hair and rooms/environments are the killers. I can get by with like 4-5 outfits for the game since it only encompasses one day. but I need like 7-10 locations with all the props. I'm chomping at the bit to not slap together a shitty environment.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
so question for you daz experts, what is causing this grainy effect on the outfit? Any guesses?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
same with this only it's the hair (obviously this is all me just fucking around trying to create decent quality renders with minimal props for now.) any tips would be much appreciated. Honestly my renders don't have to be the best ever for the game since it's intended to be of campy quality, with the story line etc. but if I can eliminate dumb technical errors it can only help me in the long run.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
ok now i'm double stupid here because no matter what lights I add to my scene it's not changing the render at all... I have tried 5 different lights on a beach scene and it literally changes nothing....

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
woah, weird. so i stopped getting notifications for some time, and now I have notifications again and theres like 11 pages of things here.

Now I don't render in daz so I can't say why the model looks dark, other than maybe you are using the default beach, which is an environment texture and those tend to light up easily, so people don't like to use them.

as for the issues with the clothes, I think the term for that are fireflies, a constant problem. In blender I just turn down indirect light clamps and they are automatically detected and corrected. I don't know if daz does something similar, but you could use most denoising programs to get rid of them, those are surprisingly weak.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
this is probably my favorite render that I have done to date so far. just in its simplicity, it looks smooth, well lit, no funky shadows and I just like it. (though resizing her chest smaller made it look like she's wearing a padded bra lol)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I went from a msi 560 series with 2g ram to a ge force with
gtx2060 super
Oh nooo! Had I seen this a few days earlier...
There's an rtx 2060 super on the market that uses the 2080 chip, which is way better for rendering :/

To your grain and skin problems:
For the grain, go to: render settings -> Filtering. Set firefly filter on (if it's off), and nominal liminance to 10k. In optimization, set max path length to 10 or lower (not higher and not -1).

The skin's you're using look like they use the Daz Default Shader, which is a 3Dlight shader -> not Iray!
In smart content go to: shaders -> iray -> uber -> and apply the "!Iray uber base" shader to one of your models (you should see a change immediately without rendering), then hit render and compare the results.

Hope this helps.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Oh nooo! Had I seen this a few days earlier...
There's an rtx 2060 super on the market that uses the 2080 chip, which is way better for rendering :/

To your grain and skin problems:
For the grain, go to: render settings -> Filtering. Set firefly filter on (if it's off), and nominal liminance to 10k. In optimization, set max path length to 10 or lower (not higher and not -1).

The skin's you're using look like they use the Daz Default Shader, which is a 3Dlight shader -> not Iray!
In smart content go to: shaders -> iray -> uber -> and apply the "!Iray uber base" shader to one of your models (you should see a change immediately without rendering), then hit render and compare the results.

Hope this helps.
thanks I'll take a bash at that tonight and see what happens, I appreciate the advice

There's lots of little ins and outs I'm still figuring out I was guessing it might have something to do with Iray.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yeah, when I need to find something, I usually have a >$100 shopping cart of assets that are close to what I am looking for.

but I has no money right now :cry: so I've been trying to make do with pirated stuff.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I've been focusing on the coding and writing for the game, I definitely have it written far beyond where I'll need to be for the demo. though I might just go to completion and not bother with a demo. depends how lazy I get I guess. But I really need to focus on building rooms and environments for scenes to take place in. I'm getting closer with assets like furniture etc not so much on appliances I guess I need to make a focused search for those type of things. But I just wanted to drop a line saying I havent given up I'm still chipping away.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
cool.

I am not sure how daz is about importing some assets, but there are pletty of free appliances online, though the ones I find best are for blender and are few, but sites like CGTrader and Turbo squid have a better range of selection, but then I am still not certain about how daz will handle imports or setting up materials for them.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I've been focusing on the coding and writing for the game, I definitely have it written far beyond where I'll need to be for the demo. though I might just go to completion and not bother with a demo. depends how lazy I get I guess. But I really need to focus on building rooms and environments for scenes to take place in. I'm getting closer with assets like furniture etc not so much on appliances I guess I need to make a focused search for those type of things. But I just wanted to drop a line saying I havent given up I'm still chipping away.

Nice and easy, comes with it's own textures, has a .dae exporter and works very well in Daz.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Hamfist

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well, I mean I have to learn another piece of software but that's going to make building all the rooms easier I think once i get a handle on it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
well, I mean I have to learn another piece of software but that's going to make building all the rooms easier I think once i get a handle on it.
They have some tutorials on their website, it's really easy if you follow the steps, it's waaaaaay easier than Daz imo.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
They have some tutorials on their website, it's really easy if you follow the steps, it's waaaaaay easier than Daz imo.
Yeah I got messing around with it a bit and watched a couple tutorials some of them roll through too fast so i'm constantly backing up to re-watch what i missed but laying out a room is a snap. definitely 30 times easier to build a room or building in this than in daz or blender, or hex this is really going to save me a ton of time. it'll take me a few days to get a handle on it. I think when combined with all of the other things available I can do some pretty great things with that. I'm going to have to figure out how to lay on some different textures because i need some of the rooms to look shabby, and thats something this isnt really designed to do (make things look bad that is) but it shouldn't be too hard. I love the fact that I can use real measurements when building the room instead of arbitrary numbers that I have to guess the scaling of when moving the object to another software.