My Daz questions: As I learn it

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well... a couple snafu's...
1 the toilet isnt exactly the right size. I thought I was measuring in inches... not meters LOL it's freaking huge
2 whenI move it over all the parts are locked hovering where they are I can't manipulate them...
3 I snarfed coffee all over my keyboard when I realized my characters could use the toilet as a swimming pool

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: recreation

Loys

Game Developer
Oct 19, 2018
well... a couple snafu's...
1 the toilet isnt exactly the right size. I thought I was measuring in inches... not meters LOL it's freaking huge
2 whenI move it over all the parts are locked hovering where they are I can't manipulate them...
3 I snarfed coffee all over my keyboard when I realized my characters could use the toilet as a swimming pool
:ROFLMAO:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
little better..... who the hells brain works in thousands of a meter as a measurement tool?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
guess I better watch more than one tutorial lol. anyway. that really made my day I kept laughing about it today the wife asked whats so funny so I showed her the toilet with a human in the bowl

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
the more I try and google how to get the object scaling right in hex the more confused I get. There is like 400 different answers and none of them really address it completely. I have to go to work i'll frig with this more later. regardless of my scaling issues right now, I like the simplicity of hex for designing objects.

a couple things I am going to figure out after work.

1 how to save separate objects in a file as separate objects (or as separate files so I can manipulate each part even if they have to be loaded into a scene separate). I know this is me not the program doing something wrong.

2 how to get the scale/measurements right when building an object prop etc so when I save it as an OBJ file it can be imported and used without fucking around.

See you all in about 7 hours (short day today YAY!)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well I did figure out how to make it so I could manipulate the parts separately. I saved them as separate files and load them individually. There is a tutorial somewhere of how to make them daz assets I need to find that again because I would like to save them in a format so I can just find them in my library instead of having to import them everytime (I would also like to save them at the correct scale for use. but it's a step in the right direction. hoping to save it in a couple scene subset positions. lid open, lid closed tank lid off etc. (and I want to be able to upload it when its done for people to use freely if they wish)

one odd question should I lay a UV map on this object? (if so I need to learn how to do that)
even though this is definitely not the best toilet ever (in fact its pretty shitty) this is more about me fully learning how to create a prop that's use-able and has the most potential for being reused and changed as people need. (like eventually I want to make a stove that has various base colors etc so it will be use-able in many different kitchens (say different peoples apartments without looking like everyone has the same stove or to match the decor of different styles)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
taking a bash at a sink, (obviously I just started on this so there's a long way to go) the faucet and controls should be interesting to create. if this comes out looking anything like a sink I will attempt to create a stove/oven next.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
ahahaha it was going so smooth I didn't save... then hex crashed.. I had the faucet almost all sorted and "poof" gone.... fml

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
on the bright side fucking it up and crashign out let me make one that looks slightly better.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
hey sorry to everyone that keeps checking this post hoping for something awesome.... you're not going to find that here just me hamfisting my way through the creation process....

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
if nothing else i will create a couple props that are useful as background material but you wouldnt want in the front of your render, or in focus, or in your render...... especially if people are paying for it...

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
LOL never seen a high gloss carpet before I rendered this prop.... (this is posing practice but the carpet has me laughing)

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well sorry I haven't spoke much, been busy. New graphics card is in and installed! that was an adventure when you dont have a cd rom. the system defaults to the windows display adapter (which doesnt fit stuff on the screen) cruising the interwebs to get to nvidias site and download the drivers was fun.....

Side note: I did not realize this video card had rgb led which I can synch with my fan Led controller! super fun.
now i'm going to go play with renders....

Last edited:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well that was super fun I ran a render with my old video card to kind of "benchmark" the difference in render times. it's ungodly how big the change is. it was a simple render (the one above with the guy in the recliner) only a couple objects and one figure. the original render time was 7 minutes 3 seconds, the new render time 27 seconds.... for some reason windows task manager doesn't show the GPU use it still shows it as using cpu but that can't be the case.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Properly scaling non-native Daz3D files can be a pain-the other issue is trying to import 3D files that use a different xyz coordinate system, so they come in sideways, etc... It isn't impossible to fix, just tedious, LOL.

What video card did you upgrade from/to?
There is a simple Daz3D rendering benchmark on the Daz3D forums you might want to give a test run if you are wondering how your card compares.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Properly scaling non-native Daz3D files can be a pain-the other issue is trying to import 3D files that use a different xyz coordinate system, so they come in sideways, etc... It isn't impossible to fix, just tedious, LOL.

What video card did you upgrade from/to?
There is a simple Daz3D rendering benchmark on the Daz3D forums you might want to give a test run if you are wondering how your card compares.
I went from a msi 560 series with 2g ram to a ge force with
gtx2060 super

Reactions: FranceToast

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
Overall I was just curious how big the improvement would be from my old card, I'm not really going to get into a "dick measuring" contest about it (and i know that's not what you were implying but I had to make the joke), I'm happy for any improvement. I know that there are people with far better systems than mine and plenty doing better work with worse systems (hell almost anyone's putting out better stuff than me since I haven't published or produced anything at all. It was just fun for me to know how much of a difference it made to make the upgrade.