My Daz questions: As I learn it

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
ahh so 99% of the stuff I downloaded requires having some purchased product to make it work instead of them being complete items... sigh
If so, on the seller's website it always says the requirements.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
If you have asecond how come so many create their own library files? have an educated guess? if I try an put them in without the library lead they dont work at all. Like the top of this shot says my daz 3d etc. and the bottom which says my lib but if I just pull the content folders and throw them in here they dont work (Or I'm doing it wrong) but each seems to want it's own library and I really dont want 42000 libraries to search through

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
kind of a bummer that it's not actually the dress, it's just changes to, definitely not listed that way on renderosity. Guess I'll have to look even closer at each item.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If you have asecond how come so many create their own library files? have an educated guess? if I try an put them in without the library lead they dont work at all. Like the top of this shot says my daz 3d etc. and the bottom which says my lib but if I just pull the content folders and throw them in here they dont work (Or I'm doing it wrong) but each seems to want it's own library and I really dont want 42000 libraries to search through

If you install content manually (not through DIM) you can't create your own folders because then when you load the assets it won't find them where they should be (this doesn't happen in all folders, but there are some untouchables, like data, runtime, etc...); the best thing is to copy it as it is inside the folder you use as a library, and then create your own categories:
https://f95zone.to/threads/want-to-retrieve-my-content-library-stuff.43452/#post-2866527

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I'm not sure I'm understanding that but it was a 11 hour day at work and I've been beating my head off the keyboard since I got home 3 and ahalf hours ago trying to figure out how much I'm screwing up. I may just wipe all that content off the drive and start over it'll probably be faster than trying to categorize and sort piecemeal with a bunch of defunct stuff.

I'll re-read that and the link once I've had some sleep, thanks for your help.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
ok it's almost 3:30am have had sleep and some coffee lets see if I can figure that out now....

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
well it was a lot easier to clean up that mess than my tired brain was making it last night. still lots of folders and sub folders that seem extra because of how people write their folder directories names on their products. Oh well, I'll get it further sorted Thanks again mgomez for your assistance last night.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
on the bright side I definitely wound up with a bunch of props that put me one step closer to starting to render scenes.

if anyone has any Idea where I can find basic bedroom bathroom and kitchen props that would be great (sinks toilets tubs etc.) Here's the best part they don't have to be super high quality just functional 3d objects.

Since I am creating a game with mostly free resources, and art styles vary so much from creators (I think the list of credits for the "resources used" designers is going to be insane when I'm done), most of my scenes will be focused on the individuals and objects in the back ground will be mostly out of focus unless they are integral to the action,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I will note: I am trying (attempting and mangling) to build some of my own props, but at this point I still suck in blender and am doing more harm than good when it comes to creating something LOL I can follow a tutorial ok but I'm still a long way off from creating usable objects backdrops etc as of yet. hopefully I will be able to find enough resources (or create them) in the next couple months to at least release a 5 minute playtime demo. I do have about 5 minutes of play time (or more) written and coded for clicking/navigating but no imagery coded in yet. so I don't think 2-3 months is an unreasonable time frame for me to be able to create at least a basic demo. Though that may change as I learn more lol

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
spent some time dicking around in hexagon for the first time (don't judge) but knowing I need certain simple props I decided to see if I could whip something (anything) out so ten minutes in and I'm closer to something that looks like the base of a toilet than any of my attempts in blender have even approached... I think I may have found my comfort medium for creation..... it's obviously going to take some time and refinement since this is my first bash I havea lot wrong with this where I made mistakes but it has great potential. I think I might spend part of my day in here because this could potentially lighten my load if I can get comfortable here seeing as I made more progress in minutes than I made in hours in other programs.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
spent some time dicking around in hexagon for the first time (don't judge) but knowing I need certain simple props I decided to see if I could whip something (anything) out so ten minutes in and I'm closer to something that looks like the base of a toilet than any of my attempts in blender have even approached... I think I may have found my comfort medium for creation..... it's obviously going to take some time and refinement since this is my first bash I havea lot wrong with this where I made mistakes but it has great potential. I think I might spend part of my day in here because this could potentially lighten my load if I can get comfortable here seeing as I made more progress in minutes than I made in hours in other programs.
If you are looking for props you can load any scenario and save only the prop you like... look for a toilet that fits your scenario, or that meets your expectations (e.g. that you can raise and lower the lid, lol); save it as a subset and load it on your scenario, there are plenty to choose from:

Even if you want it to look more "unique", you can customize it by applying other materials.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
If you are looking for props you can load any scenario and save only the prop you like... look for a toilet that fits your scenario, or that meets your expectations (e.g. that you can raise and lower the lid, lol); save it as a subset and load it on your scenario, there are plenty to choose from:

Even if you want it to look more "unique", you can customize it by applying other materials.
dont you have to buy the item or pack that contains it?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
version 2 of toilet base no where near done but this again is just a few more minutes of figuring out what I'm doing

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I do have some packs in my wish list (several) that contain props I want, but I have blown my "play money" budget on video card and ram for the next several paycheck, I'm far from rich so spending several hundreds on those items will highly constrain what I can buy for the forseeable future. not much point in having tons props if I can only render 1 image every 3 days lol I'm going to watch them and see if I can catch sales when I have spare pennies to rub together.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You need to relax and slow down man. You seem to be doing awesome. Yes some shits goign to install wrong. Probably not your fault. When you see broken shit rightclick and delete it. Youre not doing harm in blender.. youre learning. Ill guarantee your tablet or coffeecup is just as good as a pros. Or will be. Daz is actually a DEEP program which is what makes me laugh at people here dissing it who dont know 5% of its capabilities but talk shit about it. ENJOY what youre doing man it seems to me like one day you'll be a brilliant cg artist or you'll burn yourself out. This is learning. And fun. Like learning programming or anything else. Im actually literally an expert on programming man.. because i LOVED learning! A lot like what youre doing right now. enjoy it man :)

As far as props theres ZERO reason any of them have to be Daz specific. Daz is very good about importing .obj format and ok at most of the others. grab free poser etc assets around the web there are probably literally Exabytes (ya i had to look that up) of free assets out there. Id bet money there are 10,000 free toilet models :p

Reactions: recreation

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
You need to relax and slow down man. You seem to be doing awesome. Yes some shits goign to install wrong. Probably not your fault. When you see broken shit rightclick and delete it. Youre not doing harm in blender.. youre learning. Ill guarantee your tablet or coffeecup is just as good as a pros. Or will be. Daz is actually a DEEP program which is what makes me laugh at people here dissing it who dont know 5% of its capabilities but talk shit about it. ENJOY what youre doing man it seems to me like one day you'll be a brilliant cg artist or you'll burn yourself out. This is learning. And fun. Like learning programming or anything else. Im actually literally an expert on programming man.. because i LOVED learning! A lot like what youre doing right now. enjoy it man :)

As far as props theres ZERO reason any of them have to be Daz specific. Daz is very good about importing .obj format and ok at most of the others. grab free poser etc assets around the web there are probably literally Exabytes (ya i had to look that up) of free assets out there. Id bet money there are 10,000 free toilet models :p
I hear you.

I know exactly where I stand as far as the learning curve goes. I don't have illusions that any of these programs are simple and am aware that I am just scratching the surface.

I live for challenging things. for example 5 years ago I decided knowing nothing about HAM radio that I would get my license so I did, inside of 3 months. Similar to motorcycles, I decided to get my license so I bought a bike and did, then realized I wanted to fix and customize it. Now, years later, I have a fully custom built hardtail 700cc that no one could go out and buy, that I built completely myself no one else has touched a single wrench to this bike since I started. (the blinkers are made from sockets, the foot pegs are spud wrenches and on and on) I had to learn metal fabrication and many many other things to get there.

I love learning shit that I don't know, and when something piques my interest it's full tilt boogie. Having a manic disorder means I need to fill it with constructive things. If it seems like I'm taking on too much too fast, it's how I keep myself out of trouble. If I don't ALWAYS have something to do I lose my shit.

all of the "more harm than good" and "I'm fucking things up" are self derogatory jokes, and only jokes.
Never worry I have a completely fucked up sense of humor, I find making jokes at my own expense humorous, and it generally offends less people than making jokes at theirs.... Some one could tell my my toilet design was total shit and i'd laugh it off and keep going, I have no insecurities even if the jokes make it sound that way. It's just how I have fun. I know the sarcastic tone tends not to translate well over typing but rest assured I'm having a ball and am miles and miles from burning out. I'm completely pig headed I don't give up when things get hard I get more determined.

I collect expensive time consuming hobbies like my wife collects shoes. I do appreciate everyone's advice and help as I slide down this rabbit hole of chaos.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
I hear you.

I collect expensive time consuming hobbies like my wife collects shoes. I do appreciate everyone's advice and help as I slide down this rabbit hole of chaos.
I understand. i learned to cast metal, machine, program, digital electronics etc etc etc. Autodidacts do that. It's how experts in every field become experts. Its' also obsessive disorder :D have fun. This rabbithole is neverending now. The field is exploding

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
metal casting? havent tried that yet. I did luck across an anvil at a yard sale some years ago for dirt cheap and have been learning how to forge knives. long way off from a master smith but it's fun as hell.