Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
That's a really good point,
Because I definitely see an added responsibility factor of sorts when getting more people on the job at first, but I still think that long-term wise, some help would definitely blossom into a healthier work life and would make the project itself more secure.
But do you think that any of the support funded money by customers should go back into the project itself directly? And IF so... then where?
Well with this being a 2D project I'm honestly not sure what sort of funding is required for that, like mine is 3D so most of the budget goes on 3d assets like clothes or buildings, for a 2D project with it all being drawn.. id say maybe a license for whatever art software is being used, then there's the soundtrack, those can run up a lot when used commercially.
Plus then with the update timeframe CYAN is primarily an artist, so the programming side of it could be taking up a lot of it if you're not used to that side of thinks. And then 2d art especially in this sort of painted style can take a long time to get how you want. And then there's the possibility of writers block.

Dec 31, 2021
Well with this being a 2D project I'm honestly not sure what sort of funding is required for that, like mine is 3D so most of the budget goes on 3d assets like clothes or buildings, for a 2D project with it all being drawn.. id say maybe a license for whatever art software is being used, then there's the soundtrack, those can run up a lot when used commercially.
Plus then with the update timeframe CYAN is primarily an artist, so the programming side of it could be taking up a lot of it if you're not used to that side of thinks. And then 2d art especially in this sort of painted style can take a long time to get how you want. And then there's the possibility of writers block.
Yes, I ENTIRELY agree with you, that's WHY I think he should, at the very least (with that big budget) at least hire or pay someone else to CODE at the very least... And this project/game shouldn't really even be remotely difficult for someone that... IS PRIMARILY a coder, as it's a 2d VN off ALL things. But, that would free them up so much SOOO MUCH more and potentially wise even, as well. As I SEE them saying how much they contemplate adding such varied choices, SMALL OR GREAT, just because of the sheer factor of not only drawing, but ALSO having to deal with the Primary factor of Coding it all, which, like you said and I agree with, they PRIMARILY are NOT. So I just think it would be much healthier for them work-wise to share the necessary task of such a thing WITH a person more qualified, and expertised and rounded in that field, to ease A burden/factor of game development they are not very accustomed too. And that would also have the added benefit of, per say, they WERE to get writers block, something emergent of sorts that needs to get taken of, etc(like the 9 month waiting period for just the latest update)..., they wouldn't need to stress out as much/or feel guilty as much for something like-, development slowing down on their end, and rather at least have a comfort knowing that at least some major aspect of an update is being worked on to some degree, regardless of their current status of having to do ALL of this ALONE. I'd rather they do this less stress/guilt free, while also having a comfort of stability, KNOWING they don't have to carry this giant responsibility and load on them...alone, and just get some assistance in fields like this, as they certainly have the 'means' to do so...
And, if I were to want these funds, budget and ever growing patron +money to go anywhere, I'd rather it go to making aspects of development better easier and healthier, RATHER than just even more ambitious ideas , constructs, and gameplay elements, while still undertaking it A L L (risking burnout, stress, contempt, and many other things I've already seen too many people sadly sucumb too)... alone.

Last edited:

Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
Yes, I ENTIRELY agree with you, that's WHY I think he should, at the very least (with that big budget) at least hire or pay someone else to CODE at the very least... And this project/game shouldn't really even be remotely difficult for someone that... IS PRIMARILY a coder, as it's a 2d VN off ALL things. But, that would free them up so much SOOO MUCH more and potentially wise even, as well. As I SEE them saying how much they contemplate adding such varied choices, SMALL OR GREAT, just because of the sheer factor of not only drawing, but ALSO having to deal with the Primary factor of Coding it all, which, like you said and I agree with, they PRIMARILY are NOT. So I just think it would be much healthier for them work-wise to share the necessary task of such a thing WITH a person more qualified, and expertised and rounded in that field, to ease A burden/factor of game development they are not very accustomed too. And that would also have the added benefit of, per say, they WERE to get writers block, something emergent of sorts that needs to get taken of, etc(like the 9 month waiting period for just the latest update)..., they wouldn't need to stress out as much/or feel guilty as much for something like-, development slowing down on their end, and rather at least have a comfort knowing that at least some major aspect of an update is being worked on to some degree, regardless of their current status of having to do ALL of this ALONE. I'd rather they do this less stress/guilt free, while also having a comfort of stability, KNOWING they don't have to carry this giant responsibility and load on them...alone, and just get some assistance in fields like this, as they certainly have the 'means' to do so...
And, if I were to want these funds, budget and ever growing patron +money to go anywhere, I'd rather it go to making aspects of development better easier and healthier, RATHER than just even more ambitious ideas , constructs, and gameplay elements, while still undertaking it A L L (risking burnout, stress, contempt, and many other things I've already seen too many people sadly sucumb too)... alone.
Right but like I said before, hiring a coder would come with a lot of legal requirements that a lot of people might not even know about. Like for example, he hires a coder whose working on the project, has some sort of accident in their own house, (say their chair snaps and they fall and hit their head), because they were on the clock working on this game, cyan would then be liable for (I think it's called) workers comp and health insurance etc.
I'm not making this up, employing someone especially for a long-term project like this makes them liable for a lot of things like that. Once you hire someone that makes you an employer, meaning you have to declare, pay insurance, pension etc. Like if they ever check his income through patreon, see he was paying someone out of it but not declaring it then they can get a fine. Source: I did a business startup class for almost 2 years.

Yes, it could speed things up MASSIVELY, but unless you're planning on setting up a full fledged indie studio there's WAY too many restrictions and red tape in the way of things. Plus there's the fact that cyan likely has a family and life outside of the project and doesn't need the extra hassle going into it. Plus it wouldn't necessarily speed things up if you have to bring in too many people, like take dark cookie from summertime saga, the guy (allegedly) has about 5 people on the team and yet updates are coming every couple years at this point

grumpyoldcat

Apr 30, 2020
Right but like I said before, hiring a coder would come with a lot of legal requirements that a lot of people might not even know about. Like for example, he hires a coder whose working on the project, has some sort of accident in their own house, (say their chair snaps and they fall and hit their head), because they were on the clock working on this game, cyan would then be liable for (I think it's called) workers comp and health insurance etc.
I'm not making this up, employing someone especially for a long-term project like this makes them liable for a lot of things like that. Once you hire someone that makes you an employer, meaning you have to declare, pay insurance, pension etc. Like if they ever check his income through patreon, see he was paying someone out of it but not declaring it then they can get a fine. Source: I did a business startup class for almost 2 years.

Yes, it could speed things up MASSIVELY, but unless you're planning on setting up a full fledged indie studio there's WAY too many restrictions and red tape in the way of things. Plus there's the fact that cyan likely has a family and life outside of the project and doesn't need the extra hassle going into it. Plus it wouldn't necessarily speed things up if you have to bring in too many people, like take dark cookie from summertime saga, the guy (allegedly) has about 5 people on the team and yet updates are coming every couple years at this point
Today we learned that the loudest complainers probably don't know a lick about business... :cool:

Reactions: rzkr and Goblincore

Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
Today we learned that the loudest complainers probably don't know a lick about business... :cool:
In all honesty I know very little about running a business myself, I just know the ins and outs of setting up a startup.
And tbf I would've had no idea about any of that a couple years ago
hqdefault (1).jpg

y33tthem34t

Mar 26, 2019
This makes me so fucking mad for the Ravager developer/team lmao, so many people working on that game, so much more content currently and while slow still faster than this, overall better game in my opinion as well, and they're doing that shit for $1000 a month on patreon while this foo getting $15k a month for one update per 9 months like AAAAGGGHHHH

Not doing any subscription shit myself but did buy ravager on steam. Mfs who do subscribe to shit though need to check themselves lmao. Bro's getting enough money and clearly giving him more isn't speeding up development. If that was me I'd be grinding out my soul 8 hours a day every day minimum on this shit on the principal of people giving me a 6 figure income from patreon lmao. No one should go 'oh poor baby writers block, burn out, etc.' when someone is getting the utter bag like that, hire people or get your ass in gear. If anybody says some shit along the lines of 'nobody has to donate, it's a choice and dev has no obligation to blah blah blah etc.' I'm literally gonna emerge from your monitor and go the ring on your ass I swear to god.

joblo9394

Jul 4, 2017
Cyancapsule was an artist long before becoming a dev, and there patron was there long before the game was even made. While some are of cores are subbing to play the game the game is not even the highest rearward level.

Supporting me at 3$ immediately grants you access to all my previously finished art and the latest build of my VN project "My Pig Princess"
in my feed, as well as any new art I post throughout the month you pledged in!
Most art will be free to the public eventually! Pledging just gives you early access! The game will not be completely free when finished, but some early builds will!

Supporting me at 6$ grants you access to my PSDs, sketches & studies!
At least two PSDs and 10+ sketch files per paid update. Often more!
These files will be sent at the very END of the month youve been charged for!

Receiving Patreon Rewards!
At the very end of the month 6$+ patrons recieve a Private Message here on Patreon with links to the PSDs/Sketches!
If you're supporting at 6$ and choose to delete your pledge mid-month after being charged at the start of the month, you will still recieve all the PSDs/Sketches at the end since you payed for the whole month!
Even in the wording the game is a small aspect of the creators focus. There art is the main aspect. They are an artist first game dev second.

The only timetables, and promises are the amount of art they release monthly.

As for when should funds go to improving development time? How much of those funds are generated by the game, and not the art?

Cyancapsule is offering two things Early access, and exclusive WIP's. The game fits into the second. There are none of the usual "suport development","xx will happen with more funds", or "with xx amount I can work faster"

As long as they make the promised amount of art, and the game is eventually finished. They have fulfilled there side. The amount of patrions has nothing to do with it.

g6107419

Nov 25, 2018

Is this exactly you hire via freelancer?

Goblincore

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2022
Yeah apparently. You can employ someone for an hour but you technically still need to declare it, my tutor said she was helping someone in the family out with their business, who didn't declare it, and got fined 8k
It's absolutely ridiculous but it's that black and white apparently

Reactions: Biscardone

labmouseblues

Dec 22, 2020
It can be, but it doesn't have to. There are plenty of ways you can contract someone without taking on any obligations or liabilities, other than actually paying them for their work.

It's more likely Cyan either doesn't want to spend money, or doesn't want their identity exposed to a third party via contracting.

hisbiltus

May 31, 2023
Holy that Bronwen scene was hot as hell. But thats it after 9 months? Maybe 5 minutes of content? I fucking love this game but ain't no way, I'll be dead before this finishes.

Reactions: Dori-2

sbz7

Dec 9, 2017
I really like this Game but too bad all the Devs of good Games seemingly don't give a fuck after being showered on Patreon...

Ppl need to stop paying that much money when you don't get anything in return

Reactions: Vrassart

Nepurin

Jan 14, 2019
Honestly, a lot of you guys seem to be hurt by how random people on the internet spend their money. I don't know if any of you did a project on your own, it takes a shitload of time to do the smallest things and Cyancapsule is an artist, not a video game developer. People like the product and want to support the creator, there are no promises on anything on the Patreon. Also, as far as I can tell most people that complain about slow progress are not even the ones paying for the game.

RagnaRestig

Dec 20, 2017
Im definitely not a fan of furry, but had to admit, this game is really refreshing, the princess is really cute and the art style overall is fucking amazing. Being trapped in a time were a lot of AI art generated games flood the community like a cesspool, it is great that there are some developers out there that are doing amazing art like this, and the sugar on the cream is that the story is actually good and entertaining, something usually rare in a hentai game.

Definitely waiting impatiently for the next update!

4.80 star(s) 209 Votes