VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
This is one of my favourite renders I've done, because I think I actually really nailed the expressions -- Kylie finally starting to get over Lisa and looking upward, while Tara just has this sad smile, looking at someone (she believes) she'll never have.
Fortunately we had the chance to turn that sad smile into....

TaraDance.gif

Sad Tara is not allowed.

We don't know what an upset Werewolf is capable of.

One day the Werewolf jokes will get a bit too much and have to stop ..... fortunately this is not that time.
:ROFLMAO::love::ROFLMAO::love:

NOOooooo! The Cult of Werewolf Smartasses must never give up!!

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
Well... you asked for it!

View attachment 1791561

Tales from Mythos: "The Road to Nowhere"

This was a nice little story, hope we get to hear about the trip home too.
I suspect that I would have annoyed Kylie too since I still use the CD-player in my car(never bothered
to install an AUX cable, and its a clever way to make sure ony music I like get played):LOL:.

Hell, there could even be a bit about the absolute vortex of chaos that is Violet with the Convocation!
warhammer-emperor.gif
Would love a short story about what Violet gets up to at the Convocation.

But seriously love all of these Tales from Mythos, since it makes both the world and the characters feel more alive.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Yup. I used to be into lunar photography with my telescope and I don't know the proper moon phases. Tara is a Werewolf.
Ehh. I knew the terminology, and I'm not really that into astronomy. So it's possible.

If memory serves, I first learned it via the Farmer's Almanac, which gives moon forecasts for any given day.

Of course, I probably remember the terminology better because it's a mechanic in the Werewolf RPG (the moon phase and waxing/waning aspect determine your Auspice, which tends to define your role in the tribe), so maybe that's a counter-argument...

I just don't like when people mix some old superstition with science.
To be fair, the science in question only grew out of the old superstition. Modern Astronomy as we know it doesn't exist without Astrology.

In more or less the same way that Chemistry only exists because we had Alchemy first (hence the name!).

And I have figure that Dolly was Dolly Parton.
But I must admit, it's just a name for me.
I never listen to her music.
I'm definitively not in country music.
"9 to 5" is barely country. It basically got mainstream pop airplay on radio stations in the early 80s, mainly because it was from a movie soundtrack.

But there's always been a lot of crossover between country and pop, and every now and then there are always songs that manage to transcend their original genre to help influence the other one.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
This was a nice little story, hope we get to hear about the trip home too.
I suspect that I would have annoyed Kylie too since I still use the CD-player in my car(never bothered
to install an AUX cable, and its a clever way to make sure ony music I like get played):LOL:.
Yeah, I was relating to that whole thing. I've got a CD player in my car, but I mostly use it to play old CD-ROMs I burned back in the early 2000s, where each disc has about a hundred MP3s.

I don't even have that much in my truck, though. It's stock AM/FM radio only in there.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
Yeah, I was relating to that whole thing. I've got a CD player in my car, but I mostly use it to play old CD-ROMs I burned back in the early 2000s, where each disc has about a hundred MP3s.

I don't even have that much in my truck, though. It's stock AM/FM radio only in there.
I still burn new CD's to have in the car.
I don't have a functioning radio in the car anymore, since a few years back the goverment
decided to switch form FM to DAB for all radio broadcasts.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
" I hope more than like two people get the reference I’m making in this week’s header image. "

Sh*t, another reference I didn't get...
I'm begin to think I'm too old for this game.
:)
Haha... quite the opposite, my reference here is old, just obscure. Like Dylan741 mentioned, it's a Twin Peaks reference -- but really, anything David Lynch is gonna be kinda niche.

Part of the inspiration for Lisa was from Twin Peaks' whole premise of "who killed Laura Palmer?", combined with a real life incident where a friend I'd fallen out of contact with had died but I had no idea how or why, and I wanted to find out.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
I really don't know how well an adult David Lynch-style game would go over. Like you finally get your love interest in bed and she becomes a talking chair that's also on fire.
Being a huge Lynch fan I would simply worship you ( well I'm half way already...) in case you would create a game like that, but I must reckon that maybe it would be too much of a niche.
But, oh just the thought...:love::love::love:

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
Short question, I'm sorry if this has been answered before. But are there any differences between the female and male playthrough?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Short question, I'm sorry if this has been answered before. But are there any differences between the female and male playthrough?
As far as the murder mystery part; not really.

The sex scenes are different (they kinda have to be), and one love interest's backstory makes more sense if you choose the female main character, but they're functionally the same.

Reactions: Éama

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
"It’s strange that even though I have the entire plot nailed down and planned out, doing the actual writing can be somewhat difficult at times."
It's the difference between "plotting" and "scripting" (a differentiation you'll sometimes see in comic books in place of a "writer" credit).

Coming up with ideas is different than breaking down the actual dialogue in a given scene, or getting scenes to flow from one to another without feeling awkward. Plotting is the creative part, and it can feel a lot easier for people who are creative in general. But scripting is the mechanical part where you have to take those creative ideas and turn them into something that works and is accessible to the audience.

In the same vein, it's like how there's a difference between trying to visualize a scene in your brain, and then doing the work to render that scene visually, getting the characters in the right positions, getting the lighting right, keeping continuity, etc.

I've always personally found scripting way more difficult than plotting. I'll brainstorm story ideas and talk out scenarios all day long, but the actual act of sitting down and beating those ideas into a coherent narrative has always been the hard part of writing for me. So much so that I always used to joke about how I wanted to hire a ghostwriter to do all the hard work for me while I just come up with all the ideas and take all the credit. :p

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
After going through again to make Tara happy and absolutely not because i've got the horn something chronic and found that scene hot...... tmi....

I have since found out 2 things that didn't dawn on the previous times playing this....

1. I feel attacked. I still phone people. 2002 indeed.
2. I also found out what HIPAA stands for.

I feel this was an educational morning.

I also found out Jamie Oliver isn't an actual trained chef ... I just thought he was a really shit one but nope, self taught, explains a lot. Totally not relevant, just on an Uncle Roger binge.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes