VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Hey, I was thinking. Your writing is very good.
Do you you have ever thought about writing a book? Maybe you can start by a VN?
:)
Nine, making a VN, could you imagine that......

[VN] [Ren'Py] Mythos: Book One [Ch2.0.4] [Nine of Swords]

Nope, me neither......
If I understood correctly, damnedfrog was suggesting I use this VN as a start to writing a book. :)

Funny enough, Mythos started as a book I wrote. I've talked about the changes before (the killer was someone totally different, and Tara barely existed in the book). I do plan on doing more writing outside of the Mythos games; I talked about my possible grand plans .

There's another Mythos project on the horizon that I haven't mentioned on here yet; just a few vague allusions I've thrown out on my Discord, but that'll take quite a bit of work. Right now my focus is Book One (the VN) before I branch out more.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
If I understood correctly, damnedfrog was suggesting I use this VN as a start to writing a book. :)

Funny enough, Mythos started as a book I wrote. I've talked about the changes before (the killer was someone totally different, and Tara barely existed in the book). I do plan on doing more writing outside of the Mythos games; I talked about my possible grand plans .

There's another Mythos project on the horizon that I haven't mentioned on here yet; just a few vague allusions I've thrown out on my Discord, but that'll take quite a bit of work. Right now my focus is Book One (the VN) before I branch out more.
Yes, I know this project start in your mind as a book, then you switch for a VN.
I don't just click on the "like" button on your posts, I actually read them :D

My post was just a little joke.
I have a friend who is a professional comic book artist. Sometimes, when he post some of his drawing on FB, I comment like "Hey, you are very good at drawing, have you ever thought of becoming a professional drawer?". :)

But I the same time, I want to praise you a little.
I really mean it when I write I like your writing and your sens of humor. Like "Friday (With a Y) presented by Becki (With a I)", and the reactions of Becki (with a I) in it.
And also how you interact with this little community.
How you play with us and all the werewolf endless jokes. The line “You don’t pay attention to anything,” teased Kylie, “I bet you’re a werewolf.” in the tales from Mythos “The Road to Nowhere” is hilarious. I was happy I wasn't drinking anything when I read it, as I would have made a mess on my keyboard and monitor :LOL:.

It's always a pleasure to read you, even when it's not directly connected to the game and more a slice of your life.
Thank you for all of this.

• Haha
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Yes, I know this project start in your mind as a book, then you switch for a VN.
I don't just click on the "like" button on your posts, I actually read them :D

My post was just a little joke.
I have a friend who is a professional comic book artist. Sometimes, when he post some of his drawing on FB, I comment like "Hey, you are very good at drawing, have you ever thought of becoming a professional drawer?". :)

But I the same time, I want to praise you a little.
I really mean it when I write I like your writing and your sens of humor. Like "Friday (With a Y) presented by Becki (With a I)", and the reactions of Becki (with a I) in it.
And also how you interact with this little community.
How you play with us and all the werewolf endless jokes. The line “You don’t pay attention to anything,” teased Kylie, “I bet you’re a werewolf.” in the tales from Mythos “The Road to Nowhere” is hilarious. I was happy I wasn't drinking anything when I read it, as I would have made a mess on my keyboard and monitor :LOL:.

It's always a pleasure to read you, even when it's not directly connected to the game and more a slice of your life.
Thank you for all of this.
Oh, gosh... now I feel dumb for misinterpreting!

I'm glad you enjoy my writing, since that's the part of making Mythos I care most about. :D It gives me a little bit of faith that maybe I can publish non-sex Mythos stuff and put it on the market without adding sex to it.

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
I can publish non-sex Mythos stuff and put it on the market without adding sex to it.
imagine this scenario... it's the year 2035, a bookclub grooup is meeting for brunch to discuss "Mythos" by Nine..
'Bookclub president: so... what did you think of the latest installment of the series?
AVN player: K-cup, Tara and Mara doing the treway cliit rubbing manouver was balsy but in the end it distracted the succubi queen enough for Rin the cat to steal the cursed burger that would make werewolves real...
bookclub president: We're talking about the book... btw send me the link to that update...'

allove

Jun 19, 2021
So... like... so the fear is that the gatekeepers are gonna come out in freakin' hordes now. "Oh, no, sorry, Kyle is in your imagination, fuck off with that cishet shit." No hate quite like 'you are having fun in ways i don't approve of' kind of hate. Like, its super cool and all for Kylie to be cannon, on board, 100%, love fem protag games. But may as well just trash the alt paths, the grief its gonna cause amongst the fans is gonna suck.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
So... like... so the fear is that the gatekeepers are gonna come out in freakin' hordes now. "Oh, no, sorry, Kyle is in your imagination, fuck off with that cishet shit." No hate quite like 'you are having fun in ways i don't approve of' kind of hate. Like, its super cool and all for Kylie to be cannon, on board, 100%, love fem protag games. But may as well just trash the alt paths, the grief its gonna cause amongst the fans is gonna suck.
I'm not super sure about that, really.

For starters, Mythos fans seem to be, by an large, way more accepting and kind people from my experience! Love y'all!

Also, I'm not sure clear on how this goes in fandoms for games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or any of the other games where you can play an MC of your choosing while there's also non-game media; is there a lot of conflict between people who pick one MC over the other? At least as far as the few games I play, there doesn't seem to be much friction there.

EDIT: It may be a mistake to view this as ONLY a gender issue, too; there's all the other variables that have to be "canon" or not, too -- stuff like solving the murder, dating Tara, eating the burger, petting the cat, etc.

Last edited:

allove

Jun 19, 2021
Different worlds. Like I totally dig Kyle. No six pack, kinda goofy, but not a total blank dufus like most Male MCs. Now he just kinda... dies right? Just a ghost playing pretend.
For the rest why make choices? Love your story, no lie, will read it full stop. But if it is all just gonna go poof in the next chapter, meh? I don't want to be an ass, I am just like super invested you know?

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
I'm not super sure about that, really.

For starters, Mythos fans seem to be, by an large, way more accepting and kind people from my experience! Love y'all!

Also, I'm not sure clear on how this goes in fandoms for games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or any of the other games where you can play an MC of your choosing while there's also non-game media; is there a lot of conflict between people who pick one MC over the other? At least as far as the few games I play, there doesn't seem to be much friction there.
To me personally the MC must be tailored to be functional to the story, he's part of it and in many stories I read he/she wasn't even the center of the story but mostly a way that the author used to open a window in the universe he created to convey it to the readers/users.
Now, while I like Kylie a lot ( yes, I think the story flows better from a female point of view imho) I would never be against another MC if it was necessary to you to get a better story arc of what you're creating for the Mythos universe.
I always try to not immerse myself as the MC too much, but more as an invisible guest that go along with what the MC do and see if my choices ( when availables), can help her/him having a better result for the story unfolding under my eyes.
I'm always open to try new things, and if you will decide it's time to get a new MC and characters more fitted to the rest of the story I'm willing to try instead of saying I don't want anything else by principle, knowing that in that case you will create a good ending for Kylie, Tara and the other girls. :)

Last edited:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
View attachment 2081688

Nine's Dev Diary 4 - The Gender Canon

No, that's not the top secret government weapon that hit me and changed my pronouns.

I'm on so much cold medicine right now, that was all terribly confusing to me. :LOL:

If all that boils down to "I don't wanna do the male/female protagonist shit anymore because it's more trouble than it's worth and I hate it and I wanna write everything as a female protagonist" then I say go for it. I never play "female protagonist" games. They're usually written by guys, and written purely for the sex content. The great thing about "Mythos" is that it is story focused and the sex isn't the "point" of the game, It's just a nice part of the story and more about relationships than it is swapping bodily fluids. I'll read or play whatever you do next no matter who is the MC, as long as it doesn't suck. Given your track record, I'm probably pretty safe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Besides we all know that the important thing isn't the gender of the MC - it's the vast Vampire conspiracy to deny the existence of Werewolves and keep them from their rightful place in the Pantheon of "Mythos" that's at stake here!

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
If all that boils down to "I don't wanna do the male/female protagonist shit anymore because it's more trouble than it's worth and I hate it and I wanna write everything as a female protagonist" then I say go for it. I never play "female protagonist" games. They're usually written by guys, and written purely for the sex content. The great thing about "Mythos" is that it is story focused and the sex isn't the "point" of the game, It's just a nice part of the story and more about relationships than it is swapping bodily fluids. I'll read or play whatever you do next no matter who is the MC, as long as it doesn't suck. Given your track record, I'm probably pretty safe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Oh dear, that's... not at all what I was saying! :ROFLMAO:

I mean when the events of Mythos: Book One are referred to outside of Mythos: Book One -- for example, the story "The Road to Nowhere" had to have a specific version of the MC in mind, so it was Kylie.

It won't affect this game at all; just the Mythos Extended Universe. If the MC of a future Mythos game isn't the same as in Mythos: Book One, and they need to refer to that MC by first name or gender, they're gonna say it's Kylie.

BUT... if the next Mythos game has the same MC as Book One, this will have literally zero effect on your playthrough. You can pick the male MC and it'll refer to the events of Book One being done as if you were a male. I still plan on gender choice being a thing in all the games.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Oh dear, that's... not at all what I was saying! :ROFLMAO:

I mean when the events of Mythos: Book One are referred to outside of Mythos: Book One -- for example, the story "The Road to Nowhere" had to have a specific version of the MC in mind, so it was Kylie.

It won't affect this game at all; just the Mythos Extended Universe. If the MC of a future Mythos game isn't the same as in Mythos: Book One, and they need to refer to that MC by first name or gender, they're gonna say it's Kylie.

BUT... if the next Mythos game has the same MC as Book One, this will have literally zero effect on your playthrough. You can pick the male MC and it'll refer to the events of Book One being done as if you were a male. I still plan on gender choice being a thing in all the games.
To be fair, I had to go back a minute ago to reread what I had written - I wasn't sure what I had actually said :oops: Nyquil and Sudafed for the win! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's all good, I could understand why you'd want to drop the double path; I gave it consideration for about 37 seconds when I started working on my game - then realized "double the posing and renders that show the MC"......oh HELL no!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
To be fair, I had to go back a minute ago to reread what I had written - I wasn't sure what I had actually said :oops: Nyquil and Sudafed for the win! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's all good, I could understand why you'd want to drop the double path; I gave it consideration for about 37 seconds when I started working on my game - then realized "double the posing and renders that show the MC"......oh HELL no!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The double path while making the game isn't really that bad! It's only a few more renders, and the dialogue is actually even easier than I thought since someone taught me a cool little trick about using "expressions" so that I won't be typing every line twice, just changing a little variable.

It's just when other games start trying to refer to what happens in this one that things get trickier.

And for all I know, the next game will have the same MC and most of this is moot...

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
The double path while making the game isn't really that bad! It's only a few more renders, and the dialogue is actually even easier than I thought since someone taught me a cool little trick about using "expressions" so that I won't be typing every line twice, just changing a little variable.

It's just when other games start trying to refer to what happens in this one that things get trickier.

And for all I know, the next game will have the same MC and most of this is moot...
the sequel is about a Moot?
Moose_superior.jpg

Do werewolves eat Moots?

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Funny thing about that... in Werewolf: the Apocalypse, a "moot" is a Werewolf social gathering. :ROFLMAO:

Therefore, no mention of moots will happen in Mythos because there will be no Werewolves to participate! Thus, the moots are moot.
could be an Ent moot. A werewolf couldn't eat an Ent anyway, they have carnivore teeth and couldn't bite through the bark. (there's a joke there, I know it, I just can't process it at the moment). Treebeard's name in Entish was Fangorn. Werewolves have fangs. Could mean there are WereEntWolves out there. :unsure:

Dang the Vampres would be in trouble then! Werewolves that bring their own wooden stakes with them! (I'm really sure there's another joke there too)

I'm gonna go take a nap now and leave you alone :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: damnedfrog
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes