AKA101

May 11, 2017
Hey, dev here. Can you help me understand what's the problem? Is it Q2(checking out places for information about morgan) or Q3(attending his dinner party)? I dindn't catch any bug on the playtest. The quest3_complete = 2 means quest hasn't started yet, and it changes to 0(not complete) after completing Q2. At least that's what supposed to happen ;)
Ask about morgan option was not available in other places only in the restaurant. I checked the flag and saw this don't know if it should be like this. I change it to 0 and got option to "Ask about morgan" in every place.
1684571357113.png

Tanzie

Mar 10, 2019
Ask about morgan option was not available in other places only in the restaurant. I checked the flag and saw this don't know if it should be like this. I change it to 0 and got option to "Ask about morgan" in every place.
View attachment 2635589
The problem is, quest3_complete is not even relevant yet at that point. Those if statements that display "Ask about Morgan." should all check for quest2_complete instead.

Also if you look at quests.rpy:

Python:
label quest2_event2:
    show image("ui/screens/background.png")
    $ quest3_complete = 0
######### QUEST 3 #########
define quest3_complete = 2
Right below the point where 0 is assigned to quest3_complete, it gets redefined with the value of 2, which defeats the point of assigning 0 to it and then the author checks if it's 0 while it'll NEVER be anything but 2 until you complete the quest 3, which you won't be able to. If you enable console and check the value of quest3_complete when the "ask about Morgan" quest is given, you'll see that the value is already 2 due to the default value given in "define" statement, which is what breaks the game.

Last edited:

JB_Productions

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2023
The problem is, quest3_complete is not even relevant yet at that point. Those if statements that display "Ask about Morgan." should all check for quest2_complete instead.

Also if you look at quests.rpy:

Python:
label quest2_event2:
    show image("ui/screens/background.png")
    $ quest3_complete = 0
######### QUEST 3 #########
define quest3_complete = 2
Right below the point where 0 is assigned to quest3_complete, it gets redefined with the value of 2, which defeats the point of assigning 0 to it and then the author checks if it's 0 while it'll NEVER be anything but 2 until you complete the quest 3, which you won't be able to. If you enable console and check the value of quest3_complete when the "ask about Morgan" quest is given, you'll see that the value is already 2 due to the default value given in "define" statement, which is what breaks the game.
I see it now. Thanks for finding it. It was a copy-paste bug. I'll fix it in the next 3h or so. Sorry for the bug.

Tanzie

Mar 10, 2019
I see it now. Thanks for finding it. It was a copy-paste bug. I'll fix it in the next 3h or so. Sorry for the bug.
There's another issue. The MC isn't supposed to know about the Morgan's dinner event until she hears about it from the Central but the option "Attend Morgan's Dinner" already exist in Karla_Quest.rpy regardless, since there's no check for it in the following code:

Should be something like this instead:

Python:
        "Ask for work during Morgan's dinner." if quest3_obj1 == 1 and karla_q3_agree != 1:
            $ renpy.jump("karla_Quest_q3")
        "Attend Morgan's dinner." if quest3_obj1 == 1 and karla_q3_agree == 1 and quest3_obj2 == 0:
            $ renpy.jump("karla_Quest_q3_dinner")
Also in the UI.rpy

Python:
    if quest3_complete == 0 and quest2_complete == 1: # QUEST3
            if quest3_obj1 == 0:
                text "[quest3_obj1_desc]" ypos 50 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
            if quest3_obj2 == 0 and quest3_obj1 == 1:
                text "[quest3_obj2_desc]" ypos 80 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
            if quest3_obj3 == 0 and quest3_obj2 == 1:
                text "[quest3_obj3_desc]" ypos 110 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
otherwise objectives of Q2 and Q3 would overlap.

I would also recommend reducing the text size for the main menu, as the current size of 80 causes the menu options to overlap each other as below, Quit button becomes almost unusable, whereas with the font size is 48 everything looks fine and usable. In screens.rpy:

Python:
style navigation_button_text:
    properties gui.button_text_properties("navigation_button")
    font "fonts/BigShouldersStencilText-Regular.ttf"
    line_spacing 28
    # size 80
    size 48

style navigation_start_button_text:
    font "fonts/BigShouldersStencilText-Regular.ttf"
    color "#FF4B2B"
    line_spacing 28
    # size 80
    size 48
    hover_color "#FD7860"

Last edited:

JB_Productions

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2023
There's another issue. The MC isn't supposed to know about the Morgan's dinner event until she hears about it from the Central but the option "Attend Morgan's Dinner" already exist in Karla_Quest.rpy regardless, since there's no check for it in the following code:

Should be something like this instead:

Python:
        "Ask for work during Morgan's dinner." if quest3_obj1 == 1 and karla_q3_agree != 1:
            $ renpy.jump("karla_Quest_q3")
        "Attend Morgan's dinner." if quest3_obj1 == 1 and karla_q3_agree == 1 and quest3_obj2 == 0:
            $ renpy.jump("karla_Quest_q3_dinner")
Also in the UI.rpy

Python:
    if quest3_complete == 0 and quest2_complete == 1: # QUEST3
            if quest3_obj1 == 0:
                text "[quest3_obj1_desc]" ypos 50 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
            if quest3_obj2 == 0 and quest3_obj1 == 1:
                text "[quest3_obj2_desc]" ypos 80 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
            if quest3_obj3 == 0 and quest3_obj2 == 1:
                text "[quest3_obj3_desc]" ypos 110 xpos 20 size 18 font "fonts/Segoe UI Bold.ttf" color "#ffffff"
otherwise objectives of Q2 and Q3 would overlap.
Awesome man, thanks for catching the bugs and navigating my code. Everything should be fixed now. And for the font I will get back to options screen in the future and redesign it entirely.

Last edited:

teeq23

Jul 21, 2021
Problem:

Quest 2 is about asking around for Morgan, we're supposed to "Ask About Morgan" at various locations. That option however is NEVER displayed, except in the restaurant where Karla character works.

Reason:

Of the 5 total instances of "Ask About Morgan." checks against the variable "quest3_complete" instead of "quest2_complete", which should be the relevant check, cause why would you check for the completion of Quest 3 (Morgan's dinner) when it's not even relevant yet?

It won't since you redefine it with a default value right below where you assign 0 to it ( at label quest2_event2 ). Either move the "define" statement above that point or change the default value to 0 as I posted above.

A better coding practice would be to move all your global variable definitions to the top of the code and initialize them in functions only when they become relevant.
How to fix this lol???

Tanzie

Mar 10, 2019
How to fix this lol???
I have posted enough information about what to change and how to change it in order to fix all current issues. For someone who can use Notepad++ or a similar text editor, modifying a bunch of *.rpy files should be a trivial thing to do, if not, then I'm afraid you'll have to download the updated version from the author. If you just want the script files I have modified for my own use to fix that issue as well as some others, I've attached them to this post. Extract them into the 'game' folder.

View attachment Game.7z

Last edited:

teeq23

Jul 21, 2021
I have posted enough information about what to change and how to change it in order to fix all current issues. For someone who can use Notepad++ or a similar text editor, modifying a bunch of *.rpy files should be a trivial thing to do, if not, then I'm afraid you'll have to download the updated version from the author. If you just want the script files I have modified for my own use to fix that issue as well as some others, I've attached them to this post. Extract them into the 'game' folder.

View attachment 2636295
Hey could you just provide a rundown how to open the code via notepad++ ?

Tanzie

Mar 10, 2019
Tried all fixes
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Whose fixes have you tried and at what stage you have updated the game or the scripts? It's important because if you're continuing with a save that currently has the wrong value of a variable, then a fixed script won't help you, not until you start a new playthrough, cause the updated scripts don't attempt to fix the incorrect value in the save file. If that's the case you may enable the Ren'Py console and manually change the value of that variable in order to continue the game with your previous save.

By the way, where do you get this screen in the screenshot? Which location and with which NPC? And what is on your current quest log?

Last edited:

MinkoSvk

Sep 1, 2020
Whose fixes have you tried and at what stage you have updated the game or the scripts? It's important because if you're continuing with a save that currently has the wrong value of a variable, then a fixed script won't help you, not until you start a new playthrough, cause the updated scripts don't attempt to fix the incorrect value in the save file. If that's the case you may enable the Ren'Py console and manually change the value of that variable in order to continue the game with your previous save.

By the way, where do you get this screen in the screenshot? Which location and with which NPC? And what is on your current quest log?
Yes it will be caused by using save with wrong values, so what do i have to overwrite ?
It shows at every location.

Edit: Already solved, but thanks for advice

Last edited:
3.30 star(s) 9 Votes