New adult visual novel

groove888

Apr 12, 2017
IIRC there were a few thread with advice for new dev and on cliché of the genre it might be a good idea to check them out and see either what not to do or how to add a twist to those clichés.

My advice would rejoin what another guy said: don't waste your player time. And if you have a semi sandbox game with time slot (ie:11h,12h,etc. or Morning , Noon,...) fill them with stuff to do or don't bother add them to the game until you have stuff to do in these.
If from a development standpoint it's not ideal at least say it clearly to the player and give them a clear and easy way to pass this timeslot (not 12 click to go to your room and sleep with a confusing navigation system).

While we're on the navigation system : make sure it's clear and good early because changing it after will be a pain and it's one of my (and possibly other) deal breaker.

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
IIRC there were a few thread with advice for new dev and on cliché of the genre it might be a good idea to check them out and see either what not to do or how to add a twist to those clichés.

My advice would rejoin what another guy said: don't waste your player time. And if you have a semi sandbox game with time slot (ie:11h,12h,etc. or Morning , Noon,...) fill them with stuff to do or don't bother add them to the game until you have stuff to do in these.
If from a development standpoint it's not ideal at least say it clearly to the player and give them a clear and easy way to pass this timeslot (not 12 click to go to your room and sleep with a confusing navigation system).

While we're on the navigation system : make sure it's clear and good early because changing it after will be a pain and it's one of my (and possibly other) deal breaker.
Thank you so much for your advise. I think I'm gonna create a VN with a linear story I don't think I will create a sandbox game as my first game but I'm honestly not sure, I have came up with so many characters that I don't know If I will be able to use a linear story to bring out the "details" of every character

Reactions: SolarGuy

groove888

Apr 12, 2017
Thank you so much for your advise. I think I'm gonna create a VN with a linear story I don't think I will create a sandbox game as my first game but I'm honestly not sure, I have came up with so many characters that I don't know If I will be able to use a linear story to bring out the "details" of every character

I think it would be better to make it smaller with less character (then if needed make a part 2 or something) than try to cram too many character and make an overbloated mess. If you have the writing and/or coding chops I'd say go for it but if you're not sure it might be better to play it safe.

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
I think it would be better to make it smaller with less character (then if needed make a part 2 or something) than try to cram too many character and make an overbloated mess. If you have the writing and/or coding chops I'd say go for it but if you're not sure it might be better to play it safe.
yeah you are right still not sure how I'm gonna make it, but I will sweat my ass of to make it xd

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
Hey again guys, just letting you know that I have already started writing the story (i actually started 2 or 3 weeks ago), and have already started to fool around with Daz studio and marvelous designer, stay tuned :)

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
Well I realy shouldn't but I think I'm gonna spoil you guys a bit since you were all so helpful, If you don't understand anything just let me know (English is not my first language) the story is gonna have at least 12 characters (primary characters, you know, the ones you can do naughty things to ;)), the MC is gonna have a bestfriend from his days in the military. You will get the chance to meet some of his former fellow soldiers as the story evolves (some of them are a bit naughty hehe). The story begins when the MC comes back home after being injured in a battle. Remember when I said it would have at least 12 characters? I think I'm gonna add his sister, mom and cousin as well making it 15 xd

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Well, it's certainly ambitious. I don't know what your plan of development will be, but if I can make a suggestion: work on finishing individual character paths. What I mean is, don't make a game where the player can get hand jobs with 12-15 characters in the first update. Make a game where the character can get all the way with one or two characters, then add finished character paths as you go.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
A project like this might do better with an interface like Milfy City or Summertime Saga. Where the player can interact with the many characters at his leisure. I have quite a few characters in my VN, and it makes balancing storylines really tough.

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
Well, it's certainly ambitious. I don't know what your plan of development will be, but if I can make a suggestion: work on finishing individual character paths. What I mean is, don't make a game where the player can get hand jobs with 12-15 characters in the first update. Make a game where the character can get all the way with one or two characters, then add finished character paths as you go.
Yeah I struggled with that choice but eventually decided to do that xd. I'm way to ambitious hahhaa

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
A project like this might do better with an interface like Milfy City or Summertime Saga. Where the player can interact with the many characters at his leisure. I have quite a few characters in my VN, and it makes balancing storylines really tough.
Tell me about it, I'm going mental thinking about it xd, what's the name of your game? I would love to check it out :)

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
Btw guys I have a question I wanna ask you, what do you think of being able to see the MC's face? Do you like to see it or do you like to pretend you are the Mc ?

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Btw guys I have a question I wanna ask you, what do you think of being able to see the MC's face? Do you like to see it or do you like to pretend you are the Mc ?
I think it comes down to what kind of game you are making. Are you telling a story about the MC? Do you want to give the MC thoughts and emotions that the player has no say in? If the MC is truly a character, I think it's okay to show his face. On the flip side, if the MC is just a vessel to be filled in by the player, then you can avoid showing his face. If your MC is just there for the player to interact with the other characters and the game world you can keep it ambiguous.

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
I think it comes down to what kind of game you are making. Are you telling a story about the MC? Do you want to give the MC thoughts and emotions that the player has no say in? If the MC is truly a character, I think it's okay to show his face. On the flip side, if the MC is just a vessel to be filled in by the player, then you can avoid showing his face. If your MC is just there for the player to interact with the other characters and the game world you can keep it ambiguous.
Wich one do you prefer? :)

andreggfgafga

Mar 21, 2018
Preference aside, given that you plan to have 12+ characters to sex up, I think an ambiguous vessel would fit this type of game. You'll have your hands full just working on the girls.
Yup and I'm trying to make "original" characters using daz and zbrush, the clothes are gonna be original as well (marvelous designer)

FapForYourLife

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
For me, I like the way no MC face. It will provide more immersion for player to the story. you can feel that you are playing yourself and it suitable for choice-base story game
I suggest you should try game for example, It has very good story and the way they hide MC face help player feel immersed in to they game.

In the other hand, showing MC face is can be effective too but it difficult for beginner because you must match MC face with his personality and expression, if not , the game will feel weird or awkward.This way is suitable for sandbox-base game.A good example of devs who use this way are and .

If you really planning to put 12-13 girls character in to your game, I suggest with showing MC face and do sandbox game

Reactions: andreggfgafga