w4r

Aug 25, 2019
I'd give it 50/50, knowing the dev. Apparently he managed to break Elven Hospitality in this update, an assignment that's been in the game for ages.
Funny thing, I've been grinding the slaves I got from that quest, corrupting them over and over until I got the right traits and abilities before either making them slavers or something :D

Reactions: User1810

Shallowrat

Dec 4, 2019
Hey guys, first RAGS game I've tried to play. I downloaded the game and installed RAGS 2.4.16.0 like the readme said but when I try to launch it gives me an error popup saying "Sorry, this RAGS game file is unreadable." Anyone know whats broken and how to fix it?

Reactions: Jaxter

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Hey guys, first RAGS game I've tried to play. I downloaded the game and installed RAGS 2.4.16.0 like the readme said but when I try to launch it gives me an error popup saying "Sorry, this RAGS game file is unreadable." Anyone know whats broken and how to fix it?
Are you trying to open the game directly, or opening RAGS and then loading the game? Whichever you've tried, try the other one. You can also try downloading RAGS 2.6.whatever, which is also compatible with this game (but unfortunately version 3.0.whatever has a lot of issues), and see if it works with that. I've found that the game takes some finagling to get working for the first time, but once you do, all of the other things that didn't work before start working just fine.

User1810

Dec 30, 2018
Also make sure you installed the SQL runtime.

Reactions: Jaxter

Trapquest

Feb 26, 2018
Damn, the HTML version needs serious work. For a start, aside from the janky selection bugs, not being able to see the avatar you've picked until you've initialized the game, and other bugs not present in RAGs, the UI hasn't been improved at all and unlike in RAGs can't even be dragged around or re-sized.

The "visible characters" tab literally serves no purpose, but at least in rags you can drag it down to nothing and increase your view of the other tabs. Obviously the priority of the work is transferring what's available from the RAGs version over, but I do hope that once that's all done the glaring problems that couldn't be fixed in RAGs at all are given some attention.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Damn, the HTML version needs serious work. For a start, aside from the janky selection bugs, not being able to see the avatar you've picked until you've initialized the game, and other bugs not present in RAGs, the UI hasn't been improved at all and unlike in RAGs can't even be dragged around or re-sized.

The "visible characters" tab literally serves no purpose, but at least in rags you can drag it down to nothing and increase your view of the other tabs. Obviously the priority of the work is transferring what's available from the RAGs version over, but I do hope that once that's all done the glaring problems that couldn't be fixed in RAGs at all are given some attention.
I'm pretty sure the HTML version is a fan-made port, and not the one the dev is working on.

Reactions: Jaxter and User1810

trashcan666

Aug 27, 2017

You're free to customize it. RAGS, unlike HTML, has scaling attributes, as RAGS is an application which uses .NET framework and libraries. All files are merely imported into it. HTML doesn't have draggable scaling by default as it doesn't have those application libraries. I can alter some boxes via css with not much of a hassle, but that's about it. You need to use javascript hacks for it to reach application levels, at which point, it would make more sense to make a new interface from the get-go, but its not worth anyone's time to maintain compatibility with the base code, since Bedlam's development cycle is whimsical, just judging by the fact that he uses RAGS at all. If there are useless tabs, you can hardcode them to 0 size with css files in the css folder. The HTML file uses standard css for its looks. (custom.css) The only thing not easily edited is color coding of the game text, as it has been written into the game.js file, although you can replace the color phrases gives you can tolerate working on a laggy text file. I don't know which parts are used, which not, as I can't know what Bedlam wants to do with them in the future or even now, in case there are events that need those parts of the UI. See for yourself. CSS files can be transferred over. Only the game's content code fundamentally changes. Anyway, elements are now vertically resizeable for better text reading via CSS. I won't be making a facelift for the UI though, since its bound to break on every new release and given how obscure the game is and the possibility of an official HTML port, not a good timesink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaxter and User1810

Trapquest

Feb 26, 2018
You're free to customize it. RAGS, unlike HTML, has scaling attributes, as RAGS is an application which uses .NET framework and libraries. All files are merely imported into it. HTML doesn't have draggable scaling by default as it doesn't have those application libraries. I can alter some boxes via css with not much of a hassle, but that's about it. You need to use javascript hacks for it to reach application levels, at which point, it would make more sense to make a new interface from the get-go, but its not worth anyone's time to maintain compatibility with the base code, since Bedlam's development cycle is whimsical, just judging by the fact that he uses RAGS at all. If there are useless tabs, you can hardcode them to 0 size with css files in the css folder. The HTML file uses standard css for its looks. (custom.css) The only thing not easily edited is color coding of the game text, as it has been written into the game.js file, although you can replace the color phrases gives you can tolerate working on a laggy text file. I don't know which parts are used, which not, as I can't know what Bedlam wants to do with them in the future or even now, in case there are events that need those parts of the UI. See for yourself. CSS files can be transferred over. Only the game's content code fundamentally changes. Anyway, elements are now vertically resizeable for better text reading via CSS. I won't be making a facelift for the UI though, since its bound to break on every new release and given how obscure the game is and the possibility of an official HTML port, not a good timesink.
I don't know the basics of HTML scripting or anything like that, the few times I've delved into changing game files through it, it's been more of a pain than just grinding or finding a different game tbh. As for the center box "Visible Characters", Bedlam hasn't made use of it once after several years of development, I doubt they'll be using it anytime in the near future either.

I'm pretty sure the HTML version is a fan-made port, and not the one the dev is working on.
I did not know that. I assumed it was the twine port that bedlam has been working on for a year+. If it's a fan project then it makes sense that it's more or less a copy of the initial visual UI design.

trashcan666

Aug 27, 2017
I don't know the basics of HTML scripting or anything like that, the few times I've delved into changing game files through it, it's been more of a pain than just grinding or finding a different game tbh. As for the center box "Visible Characters", Bedlam hasn't made use of it once after several years of development, I doubt they'll be using it anytime in the near future either.

I did not know that. I assumed it was the twine port that bedlam has been working on for a year+. If it's a fan project then it makes sense that it's more or less a copy of the initial visual UI design.
No offense taken. I actually didn't know you could reactively resize boxes with just css, which I then did after your post. Now the HTML port's interface is practically identical to the RAGS variant, since you can manually scale both. I doubt much will change even with the official release if it ever surfaces, as its going to take a long time to turn this mess into something usable. It's just so clunky.

muchacho

Jul 19, 2017
---There's a small chance if the character is teetering on the brink and the roll is high enough for them to descend into full blown addiction. This will have the same effect as an Orc Cum Addiction Critical Success slave training including applying Obedient (Sub+) for other characters, and if you, getting the Aspect Orc Plaything even if you're already on full aspects.
Does it mean slaver looses all traits except physical so effectively turned worthless? Or he/she gains (Sub+) and other traits remain?

Lotharin

Sep 8, 2018
Does it mean slaver looses all traits except physical so effectively turned worthless? Or he/she gains (Sub+) and other traits remain?
No, it just means it would apply sub+ regardless of whether or not that character has it. It won't remove any traits or aspects.

Reactions: muchacho
Jul 20, 2018
How do I use the cheat menu in the regalia version? When I try to change my gold and supplies, it deletes the whole line of numbers, bugging out the game

3.90 star(s) 20 Votes